The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Shamed in what sense ? Not exporting vaccines before fully vaccinating their own populations ? That sounds like a rational thing most countries would do.
Yet most countries didn’t. Only two did.

The US approach has been the worst of the two. They’ve even restricted export of raw materials and equipment needed to manufacture vaccines, slowing down manufacturing in other territories.

Plus sat on hundreds of millions of doses of AZ vaccine for months while they waited for additional trials to be completed. Could have made a huge difference to countries like Brazil and India (or Canada) if they had allowed those reserves leave their country. Instead they’re vaccinating 20 year olds while bodies are being burned in mass graves in India.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
India was/is much deeper in the shit than the Uk ever was. The EU would be a fairer comparison and has kept exporting throughout a comparable surge.
The U.K. was heavily in the shit. They had a newly identified highly virulent strain spreading like wildfire. It’s been 4.5 months of hard lockdown AND a huge vaccination push to get out. At the peak we had 60k cases per day - by my dodgy maths that’s the population equivalent of over 1m new cases per day in India. And I thought the EU blocked millions of exports to Australia recently!? Rightly in my opinion but they still did it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The U.K. was heavily in the shit. They had a newly identified highly virulent strain spreading like wildfire. It’s been 4.5 months of hard lockdown AND a huge vaccination push to get out. At the peak we had 60k cases per day - by my dodgy maths that’s the population equivalent of over 1m new cases per day in India. And I thought the EU blocked millions of exports to Australia recently!? Rightly in my opinion but they still did it.
Italy blocked a single shipment of 250k doses of the AZ vaccine en route to Australia (for reasons I’ve never fully understood?) A drop in the ocean compared to the total EU exports worldwide of >60 million doses and counting.

Re the UK being “in the shit”. That certainly doesn’t describe the situation of the last couple of months. As far as I know their exports to date remains zero doses (although maybe they’ve finally sent some to India?)

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-australia-blocked-astrazeneca-b1827309.html

Australia say they’ve blocked millions. May be bollocks to detract from their own slow rollout.
It does sound like bollocks alright. The 250k shipment that was blocked was confirmed by the EU. Nobody has confirmed anything on the scale claimed by Australia. Much more likely they’re experiencing the same AZ under-delivery disappointment everyone else has been going through.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Selfishly the US, which always looks out for its interests over others, will want to continue it’s vaccination program to quash the virus domestically before it commits to sending any large amounts of vaccines overseas.
To think that they’d do otherwise is naive.
To think that other countries, that don’t need the money as much, would do differently is also naive.
Sweet Jesus. My wife is getting her first on Wednesday morning and I’m getting my first on Thursday morning! Got our texts earlier, I could almost cry
Good luck Geebs.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think in hindsight with the situation in India as it is now you would say that UK could have helped out more but the fact is that till a month back no one including the Indian government saw it coming . UK also had a very high level of infection and had 3+ months of lockdown. Currently UK is vaccinating 45+ people despite increasing the gap between doses so I am not sure the government could have gotten away with exporting doses whilst it's own population was in lockdown

RoyH1

I think the US will see the geopolitical consequences of this in years to come . In many Latin American countries it has not gone unnoticed that the first shipments to arrive in their country had a Russian or a Chinese flag on them. Not saying that it will be dramatic, but American diplomats are going to have to work overtime.
Let's see if the US releasing Astra can redress this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think in hindsight with the situation in India as it is now you would say that UK could have helped out more but the fact is that till a month back no one including the Indian government saw it coming . UK also had a very high level of infection and had 3+ months of lockdown. Currently UK is vaccinating 45+ people despite increasing the gap between doses so I am not sure the government could have gotten away with exporting doses whilst it's own population was in lockdown
When you think about the numbers involved, the UK couldn’t have done much to change the outcome in India. Even exporting every vaccine made in the UK would barely make a dent in one billion people. Which isn’t to say that more exports from the Uk (and especially the US) wouldn’t have helped at all. It just wouldn’t have prevented the current apocalypse.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It's also about Logistics. We (India) could have done better job vaccinating our population but there is a limit that we can vaccinate in a certain period of time. India administered 130 m jabs which isn't low but considering our population it's just about 10%.

We need raw materials to make vaccine and our foreign minister mentioned that he can't ask for raw materials and stop vaccine export. That would be unethical. Instead of hoarding vaccine, I am glad it was used by other countries so that atleast it saved some people and some of these countries would struggle to get vaccine in open market right now. Because I don't think we would have able to fully use it anyway. This hurts a lot because we have lost so many and hopefully we bring this under control sooner rather than later.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Had a bad night.
Woke up ay 3.30am with slight fever, arm hurting and took 2 pills.
This morning i've got slight fever too.
Doc told me to keep taking the pills for today.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It does sound like bollocks alright. The 250k shipment that was blocked was confirmed by the EU. Nobody has confirmed anything on the scale claimed by Australia. Much more likely they’re experiencing the same AZ under-delivery disappointment everyone else has been going through.
#scottyfrommarketing was trying to pretend that 250k AZ not being delivered was the reason they missed their 4 million vaccination target for the end of March by 3.3 million.

Even if you avoid the fact that 250k is far less than 3.3 million it is a bit irrelevant as we didn't even mange to give out all of the few shots we did have anyway due to piss poor planning.

We are now (or very soon going to be) producing 1 million AZ shots domestically every week so with only the over 50's to vaccinate and with the clotting scare and our government's incompetence increasing vaccine hesitancy in the over 50's I'm not sure we will need that many ourselves for very long. So hopefully we will start exporting to other places who are in trouble like India or PNG.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Had a bad night.
Woke up ay 3.30am with slight fever, arm hurting and took 2 pills.
This morning i've got slight fever too.
Doc told me to keep taking the pills for today.
That's very common. Reacts stronger in younger people, so lucky you :D, or those that had covid asymptomatically before. You should be fine by this evening.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
That's very common. Reacts stronger in younger people, so lucky you :D, or those that had covid asymptomatically before. You should be fine by this evening.
Thanks doc. :D
I sure hope so.

lynchie

Not good news on Sputnik - big issues with their trial data.

RoyH1

Interesting that even with the pandemic in full bloom, Brasil's regulator has issues with Sputnik. Have the countries that approved it really done their homework with the paperwork?

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Turns out having a minor stomach bug and then three days later having the vaccine isn't a great combination. Now have full on gastroenteritis since Friday night. Feeling pretty rough. Still glad to have had the vaccine in an odd way

MTF

I think the US will see the geopolitical consequences of this in years to come . In many Latin American countries it has not gone unnoticed that the first shipments to arrive in their country had a Russian or a Chinese flag on them. Not saying that it will be dramatic, but American diplomats are going to have to work overtime.
Let's see if the US releasing Astra can redress this.
Indeed. People forget that between democracies, diplomacy is often your interactions with the other country's political system. So in Latin American countries there are already many parties that are ideologically unfriendly towards the US. In internal deliberations in the future about partnering more with the US vs China, those who ideologically might be more inclined to favor the US can't do anything to counter the argument that the US proved an unreliable partner during this search for vaccines, while China was actually reliable. I definitely think that holding onto the AZ vaccine stockpile for so long was a mistake.

Interesting that even with the pandemic in full bloom, Brasil's regulator has issues with Sputnik. Have the countries that approved it really done their homework with the paperwork?
The regulator was even hesitant to approve Sinovac (called Coronavac in Br) back in January iirc, but that was more related to the low efficacy observed (50% against any infection at all, but 100% against severe cases). At the time though, if they'd rejected the vaccine it would have been a death sentence for Brazil's only vaccine production line already set-up and producing that vaccine, and would likely have left the country with no vaccines for another 2 months.

Right now the situation is not as tight as far as production, with Coronavac still being produced and also another firm producing licensed AZ vaccine that will make up most of the numbers through about September. Then there's a contract to receive significant numbers of Pfizer vaccines through the end of the year and into next.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Wow. The published data did almost seem too good to be true. If they’ve falsified those results this might be the most heinous crime of the Putin era (which is quite an achievement)

EDIT:

Fecking hell.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That's disappointing. That means all the adenovirus based vaccines are now showing manufacturing issues. Ramp-up issues on AZ and J&J (which I guess might include batch rejection due to QC issues) and now Sputnik batches being seen with replicating adenovirus.

We already knew that we didn't have mass rollout data on Sputnik - unlike the AZ and J&J - but their interim phase 3 report did look sound - it's worrying that Brazil found so many flaws in the finished version. Albeit the trial data was working with small case numbers, and just in a Russian trial group. As for other regulators, a lot will have relied on the Russian approvals and the manufacturer's own QC batch testing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wow. The published data did almost seem too good to be true. If they’ve falsified those results this might be the most heinous crime of the Putin era (which is quite an achievement)

EDIT:

Fecking hell.
That would be pretty diabolical and would dwarf the state sponsored Olympic doping scandal.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've just come across another piece on Sputnik, apparently Slovakia rejected their shipments this month. According to their regulator the product supplied was not the product tested in that phase 3 report - which is a very disturbing development. It could mean that the manufacturing ramp-up has failed and they're shipping anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/world/europe/slovakia-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-sputnik.html

I guess we can only hope that these are either false alarms (or even politically motivated rejections as the Russian authorities say) or it's something that really is batch specific.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I've just come across another piece on Sputnik, apparently Slovakia rejected their shipments this month. According to their regulator the product supplied was not the product tested in that phase 3 report - which is a very disturbing development. It could mean that the manufacturing ramp-up has failed and they're shipping anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/world/europe/slovakia-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-sputnik.html

I guess we can only hope that these are either false alarms (or even politically motivated rejections as the Russian authorities say) or it's something that really is batch specific.
The Russian response - “Fake news!” - is so depressing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
There are clinical trials of vaccine mixing underway, so she's definitely not the first one to get the combination. She might be the first one where it wasn't done deliberately though.
I'd thought there was a lot of speculation early on that mixing the vaccines would be good, but maybe it was just paper talk. I had a by the sounds of it misguided hope that getting a Pfizer second jab would improve the protection I had from the AZ first dose.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So they're not mixing vaccines yet in the UK it seems

JAB BLUNDER
Hospital accidentally gives woman wrong second Covid vaccine in first error of its kind in Britain

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14776246/hospital-gives-woman-wrong-jab-accident/
I was only talking to my neighbour yesterday (as I had my vaccine today), he had his first AZ vaccine and then a few weeks later had a letter from a different hospital (to do with his cancer treatment) inviting him for a Pfizer vaccine, he had to call and explain. I thought it was pretty bad at the time and thought then there was a chance people could get both. Bit different to this case going by just the headline.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Wife and I both had our first Pfizer jabs this morning, crossing fingers for no adverse effects.

Second jabs booked for 7th June.
Here they're recalling people exactly 3 weeks after the first Pfizer jab, going by oates's experience. Mind you, it's why things are taking so long in Italy - they are making sure that people get their second vaccinations, rather than giving one jab to more people.

I'm not sure if it's the right approach, in general. It seems to me that it's better to give more people some protection.

evil_geko

So I am reading that SPUTNIK is one of the rare efficient against the India strain and in general against mutations.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My GP called me today to offer the vaccine on Friday. But I’m already getting it via the hospital on Thursday, and my wife tomorrow. Like bloody busses