The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Im just curious how much they pay for those trials if at all? @jojojo @lynchie
Brings back memories of being 18, kept in for a trial and eating all kinds of crap like tuba & onion sarnies for snack. Disgusting

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
No blanks in the Valneva trial - it's a head to head between AZ jabs and Valneva, to show that it produces similar or better levels of antibodies. So I'm definitely getting a vaccine, but won't know which.
Oh right, thanks, that's interesting. More to the point, very well done for taking part.

lynchie

Brings back memories of being 18, kept in for a trial and eating all kinds of crap like tuba & onion sarnies for snack. Disgusting
More than nothing, much less than the value of the annual leave I'm using up. I wouldn't recommend it as a career choice! I'm doing it in part because I should be full vaxxed in 4 weeks, and partly because it seems like another good option for vaxxing the world (simple storage requirements, theoretically good against variants) so I'm keen to see it succeed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm in the 30-34 group and got a text today. Fingers crossed for you.
What region are you in? I’m in Bristol and have a feeling it’s going to be very slow going down through the age groups as it’s quite a young city.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What region are you in? I’m in Bristol and have a feeling it’s going to be very slow going down through the age groups as it’s quite a young city.
This is my thinking too. One of the downsides of picking such a youthful place to live :lol:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This is my thinking too. One of the downsides of picking such a youthful place to live :lol:
My surgery is bang in the middle of UoB campus... hopefully they’re all behind us in the queue

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
More than nothing, much less than the value of the annual leave I'm using up. I wouldn't recommend it as a career choice! I'm doing it in part because I should be full vaxxed in 4 weeks, and partly because it seems like another good option for vaxxing the world (simple storage requirements, theoretically good against variants) so I'm keen to see it succeed.
Oh I’m very thankful for people like you and @jojojo. Nobody would want to make a career out of these things! Just curious

GloryHunter07

London, i think it can be very localised, down to which GP surgery you are registered at etc.
Someone i know also in London that is in an older bracket than me got their text a while ago but there werent any slots for weeks.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Nothing in the case of the Novavax trial. They'll refund travel expenses, that's it really. They are paying about $150 per visit in the US apparently.

The NHS run UK trials pay what they have to really. If they're running in a single location and the criteria make it hard to recruit volunteers (like now when lots of people are already vaccinated and the trial needs multiple visits) they pay something.

The tougher trials, where the risks are higher and the commitment is higher do pay though. There are "challenge trials" proposed for Covid. Basically in a challenge trial you try and infect your volunteers - so you might run one to test a new vaccine for example. For those you basically need to stay at the clinic for about 20 days after exposure or until they know you're covid negative, if that takes longer. I think they pay about £4000 for those - more if you remain covid positive for longer than the 20 days. Young, healthy volunteers only of course.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nothing in the case of the Novavax trial. They'll refund travel expenses, that's it really. They are paying about $150 per visit in the US apparently.

The NHS run UK trials pay what they have to really. If they're running in a single location and the criteria make it hard to recruit volunteers (like now when lots of people are already vaccinated and the trial needs multiple visits) they pay something.

The tougher trials, where the risks are higher and the commitment is higher do pay though. There are "challenge trials" proposed for Covid. Basically in a challenge trial you try and infect your volunteers - so you might run one to test a new vaccine for example. For those you basically need to stay at the clinic for about 20 days after exposure or until they know you're covid negative, if that takes longer. I think they pay about £4000 for those - more if you remain covid positive for longer than the 20 days. Young, healthy volunteers only of course.
There are ethical concerns about payments to clinical trial subjects. You’re only supposed to pay them enough that they’re not out of pocket. It gets morally dubious if the financial incentives are so big that people sign up for trials they would otherwise not be interested in. You, @lynchie and @Wibble have all signed up for exactly the sort of reasons you would want someone to become a trial subject.

Traub

Not for any particular technical reason. Quite a few trialists (particularly) in the US have already had two sets of jabs. That's typically been to give themselves proper CDC certified vaccine status for work/travel and now for returning to University in the autumn.

However in the UK, while the NHS record doesn't show you as "vaccinated" it doesn't show you as awaiting vaccination either. We're in a kind of limbo state of "undergoing treatment incompatible with the vaccines." Hence you can't book for an approved vaccine course. Three months ago (when I was offered an approved vaccine) I could have got away with it, but the records appear to have caught up with the trial.

It's a minor gripe in the scheme of things, but does potentially affect travel this summer. I've got family and friends in Spain, including one who's just had cancer surgery. If a vaccine passport qualifies me for simpler testing or quarantine controls then I'll be really annoyed with Novavax and the NHS research team for conning me on timelines etc! Which would be a shame as they've done great work so far.
That seems unfair, you put yourself at risk for the rest of our benefit, and are being penalised for it. Having said that, I’m sure once everyone eligible has had a chance, they’ll be freely available - maybe July?

Got my J&J shot today. No side effects so far, hoping it stays this way. I’m assuming it’s good enough for travel.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For anyone curious about the supply chain part of the story of why Novavax are running late. Novavax were/are supposed to be one of the big suppliers to Covax/GAVI and the African Union etc. Particularly on why their Indian production deal with SII is scarcely moving at all. Similar supply chain failures are happening to other vaccines as well, so it's a useful reminder that vaccine shortage isn't all about patents etc.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1391881761425133574.html

Interestingly Novavax still expect to get their MHRA approval before they get the US one, which if the production issues stories are accurate, could be reasonable. Novavax reckon they've made over 30m doses globally now, but that still doesn't meet their basic CDC pre-approval stockpile commitment, even if it was all in the US. As it is, at least some of those doses were made in the UK.

Traub

Sorry to be pedantic, but is it normal for there to be a little bit of bleeding at the vaccination site?

mitChley

Had mine today, Pfizer. Probably 4 minutes from pulling the car up to having the jab, very impressed.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Sorry to be pedantic, but is it normal for there to be a little bit of bleeding at the vaccination site?
It is normal to have it a little bleeding post vaccination from the injection site but this shouldn't last too long

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A few anecdotal reports of vaccine side effects from various friends and family,

M 22 - Pfiizer: slightly sore arm and fatique for 24 hrs. Second shot the same or less so.
M 50 - J&J: felt a bit tired for a couple of days (single shot vaccine)
F 48 - Moderna: no side effects after either dose

My wife and I are getting our first AZ shot next Tuesday.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
A few anecdotal reports of vaccine side effects from various friends and family,

M 22 - Pfiizer: slightly sore arm and fatique for 24 hrs. Second shot the same or less so.
M 50 - J&J: felt a bit tired for a couple of days (single shot vaccine)
F 48 - Moderna: no side effects after either dose

My wife and I are getting our first AZ shot next Tuesday.
I’ll tag on, if you don’t mind?
M 86 -Moderna - some tiredness after the 2nd shot. But he’s 86...
F 56- Moderna - some aches and tiredness after 2nd shot.
F19 - Pfizer. No I’ll affects apart from a sore arm.
M19- Pfizer. As F19 above.
M60- Pfizer; fever began 24 hrs after 2nd shot and lasted about 12 hours.
M55- Pfizer. Sore arm after both shots.
M45 - Pfizer. No ill affects reported after both shots.
M42- AZ. Some aches and pains which then led to high heart rate - seems to have been more fear induced than anything.

Traub

I had my J&J vaccine yesterday, current side effects: headache, chills, fever, muscle soreness. I’ve ordered my symptoms in terms of severity.

evil_geko

Just had my second Pfizer shot an hour ago, will let you know when that antibody overdose kicks in. :D

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Seems like forever that they've been threatening to call the unders 40s in England.....
The 40 and over group got national rollout approval on the 30th April, so not that long ago really. It just feels like a long time when you're waiting. Especially as Wales and some regions of England are calling under 40s already.

It's really all about making sure there's enough Pfizer/Moderna for the under 40s, even if there's a supply blip. It looks like they do have that stock now. That's also a change in the rollout pattern because AZ was the "easy" vaccine that came out of the fridge and with a reasonable shelf life. Pfizer needs a different setup at the vaccine centre and they're much more sensitive about not having leftover doses at the end of each day (as they may have to throw them away)

The 35+ national message will probably go out within a week. 30+ by end of May. 18+ in June/July depending on supplies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The 40 and over group got national rollout approval on the 30th April, so not that long ago really. It just feels like a long time when you're waiting. Especially as Wales and some regions of England are calling under 40s already.

It's really all about making sure there's enough Pfizer/Moderna for the under 40s, even if there's a supply blip. It looks like they do have that stock now. That's also a change in the rollout pattern because AZ was the "easy" vaccine that came out of the fridge and with a reasonable shelf life. Pfizer needs a different setup at the vaccine centre and they're much more sensitive about not having leftover doses at the end of each day (as they may have to throw them away)

The 35+ national message will probably go out within a week. 30+ by end of May. 18+ in June/July depending on supplies.
It’s interesting to see how quickly Ireland is closing in on the UK, despite the extremely delayed/slow start. From tomorrow all our >50s have had a chance to register. 40-50s next, so 30+ should be only a couple of weeks behind the same age cohort in the UK.

Hard to work out how/why we seem to be catching up. Obviously smaller absolute numbers to be vaccinated but there should also be a proportionally smaller number of vaccinaters/centres to give out the vaccines. Or is it something to with the UK decision to priority first doses and delay the second for so long?

It’s interesting to see how quickly Ireland is closing in on the UK, despite the extremely delayed/slow start. From tomorrow all our >50s have had a chance to register. 40-50s next, so 30+ should be only a couple of weeks behind the same age cohort in the UK.

Hard to work out how/why we seem to be catching up. Obviously smaller absolute numbers to be vaccinated but there should also be a proportionally smaller number of vaccinaters/centres to give out the vaccines. Or is it something to with the UK decision to priority first doses and delay the second for so long?
I believe this was talked about a while back, in May the UK would have most of the elderly fully vaccinated but would have to slow new vaccinations right down. All my elderly relatives have been getting their second doses over the last couple of weeks.

Then there are supply constraints. After the public spats the EU and India are not exporting to the UK in the volumes they once were. The daily doses have dropped back to barely above where they were in February.

massi83

You are considerably younger country. 3-5 years, depending on metric and source.

And even younger compared to EU.

Last edited:

F-Red

Second AZ jab for me this morning, exactly 8 weeks between that and my first. Much easier side affects this time around in that the arm isn't as sore, less of a headache, but still some lethargy kicking about. Weirdly had the jab standing up in a tent, in my GP's car park - not what I was expecting! I guess this means I'm on Windows 10 now?

Second AZ jab for me this morning, exactly 8 weeks between that and my first. Much easier side affects this time around in that the arm isn't as sore, less of a headache, but still some lethargy kicking about. Weirdly had the jab standing up in a tent, in my GP's car park - not what I was expecting! I guess this means I'm on Windows 10 now?
I hope the 2nd one is better.

having had the first one yesterday, it knocked me for 6. Starting to feel better - but felt like going through a flu cycle and severe hangover combined.

arm feels like someone has continually punched it.

got to be done though.

F-Red

I hope the 2nd one is better.

having had the first one yesterday, it knocked me for 6. Starting to feel better - but felt like going through a flu cycle and severe hangover combined.

arm feels like someone has continually punched it.

got to be done though.
Yeah much better, I had similar side affects for my first. Felt like the morning after a night after 10 pints.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Just seen 35+ is due for vaccines in the UK in the coming week or so. Unfortunately I’m not 35 for 2 months :(

zing

Zingle balls
Is 8 weeks the standard break that UK follows?

massi83

Just seen 35+ is due for vaccines in the UK in the coming week or so. Unfortunately I’m not 35 for 2 months :(
They don't do it by birth year? Seems like an unnecessary hassle to use exact date.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
They don't do it by birth year? Seems like an unnecessary hassle to use exact date.
Dunno, that would be good but it doesn’t seem particularly difficult to sort patients by birthdate and call them in that order?

It was 45 only a couple of weeks ago. Went to 42, then 40, and I got a job in 10 days - you will be able to get it pretty quickly if the rate of rollout continues.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It was 45 only a couple of weeks ago. Went to 42, then 40, and I got a job in 10 days - you will be able to get it pretty quickly if the rate of rollout continues.
I’m guessing it will slow down each time it gets a year lower?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
my impression is that it’s speeding up. It’s only a matter of weeks in any case.
Yeah I was thinking there’s more in each age group as you go down due to obvious reasons but I guess production is offsetting that.