The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bosws87

I wonder if this variant does turn out to be far more transmissible if they’ll put AZ back on the menu for under 40s. The only way to combat variants is vaccinations and I don’t think we have enough Pfizer stock if second doses are being moved forward too. Assuming the vaccines are still effective which the evidence I’ve seen suggests they are.
No chance.

Bosws87

Why? It’s based on risk. If this variant increases the risk of those under 40 then the equation changes.
From all the information thats been released there is no indication the outcome of infection is any different then any of the previous and the reason they changed it was the risk of clotting was getting to close for comfort to the chance of death from the virus in the age ranges.

The risks didn't massively overshadow the small chance of clotting

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
From all the information thats been released there is no indication the outcome of infection is any different then any of the previous and the reason they changed it was the risk of clotting was getting to close for comfort to the chance of death from the virus in the age ranges.

The risks didn't massively overshadow the small chance of clotting
The reason they changed it to over 40s was community spread was so low. That isn’t going to be the case in 3-4 weeks time with the huge increase in indoor mixing if this variant is 50% more transmissible than the kent one like they’re saying it could be.

Bosws87

The reason they changed it to over 40s was community spread was so low. That isn’t going to be the case in 3-4 weeks time with the huge increase in indoor mixing if this variant is 50% more transmissible than the kent one like they’re saying it could be.
I'm pretty sure it was because the risk of clot or death from the virus while not anywhere near 50/50 was getting close enough where the risk wasn't worth it unless i read something wrong?

massi83

The odds of blood clots are remote in the extreme for most people. This is the graphic posted in the thread earlier

Its only if I’m offered a choice I’ll take a jab other than the AZ. I have no qualms about having the AZ.
I'm pretty sure it was because the risk of clot or death from the virus while not anywhere near 50/50 was getting close enough where the risk wasn't worth it unless i read something wrong?
Depends on the likelihood of getting infected.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yeah, It was based on your risk from covid vs risk from vaccine depending on age. But that risk from covid increases when cases rise as your chance of catching it goes up. They moved it to over 40s not because the clotting risk had increased but because of the fall in cases thus a decrease in covid risk. It’s unlikely they’ll move it back due to optics I guess but the unvaccinated are going to at a far greater risk in 3 weeks time than they are now if this variant is as infections as they’re suggesting.

Bosws87

Yeah, It was based on your risk from covid vs risk from vaccine depending on age. But that risk from covid increases when cases rise as your chance of catching it goes up. They moved it to over 40s not because the clotting risk had increased but because of the fall in cases thus a decrease in covid risk. It’s unlikely they’ll move it back due to optics I guess but the unvaccinated are going to at a far greater risk in 3 weeks time than they are now if this variant is as infections as they’re suggesting.
Makes sense, shouldn't really even be up for debate we knew about the problems and this variant weeks ago its another calamity by the government, meant to learn from your mistakes not keep on repeating them. :rolleyes:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Another take on the "redirect doses to surge areas" debate, this time from SPI-M-O - the group who do the maths modelling for SAGE.

Basically they think vaccination of places with fast growing outbreaks, and their neighbouring areas, can slow the virus growth for long enough that you can vaccinate the rest of the country. Provided you start quickly enough. I guess we're now operating on the principle that we should wait a couple of weeks then conclude it's too late.

Meanwhile here's one of the Blackburn public health officials who tried to open the vaccine program to all over 18s and got told not to...

Sefton have apparently started vaccinating their over 20s. Sounds like Blackburn's error was admitting it and advertising the service on local radio. I guess Blackburn and Bolton will have to stick to WhatsApp in future.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
From a twitter account who tracks the data that gets released/leaked from various sources. An updated vaccine rollout model with the (mostly AZ) second doses at the 8 week interval. Pfizer/Moderna assumed for most of the first doses. He's assuming that vaccination rate goes back up to the March rates - basically with two sets of sites running, one for AZ, one for Pfizer.

F-Red

The cynical side of me thinks the 8 weeks element started at the beginning of the week and they're already running with it, it would tie completely to me getting my second AZ jab bang on 8 weeks apart on Wednesday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Every now and then it hits me how indescribably shit we’d all be feeling if we’d been unable to develop effective vaccines. Or if, say, all the vaccines had unacceptably severe and frequent side effects and we had to stop using them. Both of these scenarios were very possible. Life would be bleak beyond belief.

*shudder*

Adamsk7

Had my first Pfizer this morning at 9am. So far nothing other than a sore arm. For anyone wondering, I did book my jab on the website first and got a date of next Friday, however I got a text from my GP that specifically stated Pfizer and that was for the next day (today). The location offered was not a location I was offered when I tried to book through the website so I would not be surprised if you do it that way, that you might not necessarily be guaranteed Pfizer/Moderna.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Every now and then it hits me how indescribably shit we’d all be feeling if we’d been unable to develop effective vaccines. Or if, say, all the vaccines had unacceptably severe and frequent side effects and we had to stop using them. Both of these scenarios were very possible. Life would be bleak beyond belief.

*shudder*
Zero vaccines would be a disaster and the world would be a very different place for a long time to come.

While the chances of complete and utter vaccine failure in all cases was unlikely, having 3 great vaccines, and 2 amazingly brilliant ones, in under a year is beyond belief. Even if AZ was the only successful one we would be in a hugely worse off position and not really due to the clotting issues, which would be acceptable for all if that were the only vaccine available.

There are frustrations but we could be in such a shit situation that it would be hard to know what would happen. Either you would have to let it burn through your population at a controlled or uncontrolled rate and cop the huge death toll and economic devastation or isolate yourself permanently Australia or NZ style, which is probably almost impossible. Although it would take a brave government to open up when you have no covid in the country.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Zero vaccines would be a disaster and the world would be a very different place for a long time to come.

While the chances of complete and utter vaccine failure in all cases was unlikely, having 3 great vaccines, and 2 amazingly brilliant ones, in under a year is beyond belief. Even if AZ was the only successful one we would be in a hugely worse off position and not really due to the clotting issues, which would be acceptable for all if that were the only vaccine available.

There are frustrations but we could be in such a shit situation that it would be hard to know what would happen. Either you would have to let it burn through your population at a controlled or uncontrolled rate and cop the huge death toll and economic devastation or isolate yourself permanently Australia or NZ style, which is probably almost impossible. Although it would take a brave government to open up when you have no covid in the country.
I guess we would have just learned to live with it and accept people dying. I am from Kosovo and go there often despite not living there. The life for most part has gone as normal there. There are the masks, and weddings or other meetings with a large number of people were kinda banned (will be open during the summer), but for most part, the restaurants, schools, bars, shopping malls and everything else has been open. The number of deaths per capita is around the same as that of most European big countries like Germany, Spain, France and so on (though it has a far younger population, but also a far worse medical system).

A better example might be Sweden who had much less restrictions and still in the end were kinda fine. I do not think that permanent lockdowns would have ever been in card, vaccines or not.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I guess we would have just learned to live with it and accept people dying. I am from Kosovo and go there often despite not living there. The life for most part has gone as normal there. There are the masks, and weddings or other meetings with a large number of people were kinda banned (will be open during the summer), but for most part, the restaurants, schools, bars, shopping malls and everything else has been open. The number of deaths per capita is around the same as that of most European big countries like Germany, Spain, France and so on (though it has a far younger population, but also a far worse medical system).

A better example might be Sweden who had much less restrictions and still in the end were kinda fine. I do not think that permanent lockdowns would have ever been in card, vaccines or not.
Sweden were far from kinda fine.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

The doctors involved say they're helping people to demonstrate they're eligible - good luck to them. Plus, as it says, they're using Pfizer so can handle all age groups.

Bolton Hospital say they're now starting to see an increase in covid admissions, mostly of uncaccinated people who were already eligible for the vaccine. Still low numbers, so hopefully they've got time to save some lives with this campaign as well as to slow the spread.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The cynical side of me thinks the 8 weeks element started at the beginning of the week and they're already running with it, it would tie completely to me getting my second AZ jab bang on 8 weeks apart on Wednesday.
I also think they've got plenty of AZ coming through now, so they make this move without impacting the first dose rollout (provided they can open extra vaccination sites).

There aren't that many Pfizer second doses that suddenly become due this month as a result of the change. So it doesn't cause many problems with the recommended first dose supply for the under 40s.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yet more on Bolton - the case surge and the vaccines. It's not necessarily a direct correlation, but it does act as a shorthand for a correlation. Housing density, financial deprivation (impacting everything from mobile phone credit to ability to self isolate), access to information and high levels of hesitancy based on a combination of rumours, bad experiences with healthcare, and suspicion. Lots of reasons for poor take-up, including what's effectively poor access to the service and poor information.

Incidentally that bus I posted earlier is apparently doing great business today. The only issue is trying to find somewhere for people to queue (Manchester weather is not the kindest)

Compared to

F-Red

Top local authorities on cases per 100k based on yesterday's released data, shows the jump with Bolton leading the way.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Bolton posting that the queues are moving swiftly and they're handling the business.
Apparently they've got up to 4000 doses of Pfizer available today and 42 vaccinators on site in addition to admin and volunteers etc.

Just explaining the magic words to use when "asked" about eligibility:

fergosaurus

Had my second jab on Thursday. Felt a bit off that evening and yesterday but just like having a mild hangover. Today back to normal.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/kirklees-health-boss-public-plea-20598637 they seem relatively calm and think they're on a flat or improving trajectory.
Let's hope so. It may be a freak growth. The outbreak in Erewash - a school in Long Eaton had about 100 positives, and triggered a family/contacts surge of another hundred or so more, but it seems to have peaked with them and then dropped right back. If Kirklees are aware of a similar localised cluster then maybe their trajectory will be similar.

lynchie

Bolton posting that the queues are moving swiftly and they're handling the business.
Apparently they've got up to 4000 doses of Pfizer available today and 42 vaccinators on site in addition to admin and volunteers etc.

Just explaining the magic words to use when "asked" about eligibility:
Ha, love it! What me mate? Yeah, unpaid carer.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Just had my Pfizer vaccine. Thought it would be a sort of euphoric moment but was kind of spoilt by there being so many people there. Had to queue for 20 mins to get into the church and then when I was in there it seemed like social distancing was just something other people did. I was then asked to wait in a packed stuffy waiting area for 15mins just in case I had a bad reaction to the jab. No thanks - not gonna catch me doing that, ta.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just had my Pfizer vaccine. Thought it would be a sort of euphoric moment but was kind of spoilt by there being so many people there. Had to queue for 20 mins to get into the church and then when I was in there it seemed like social distancing was just something other people did. I was then asked to wait in a packed stuffy waiting area for 15mins just in case I had a bad reaction to the jab. No thanks - not gonna catch me doing that, ta.
Is this a parody

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Having one beer during the tonight's game, day after a jab shouldn't interfere much with the immunity building? I know it is recommended not to consume alcohol around three days before and after, but one beer shouldn't matter much I would think.
Is beer that important that you can’t go without for a few days?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Appreciate it, this son of the bitch of the virus just keeps coming back, it’s seems that during the day you’ve beat this fecker but then it comes in another flow.
Might take a while. Rest up, drink plenty of water. Take paracetamol if you need

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Ha, love it! What me mate? Yeah, unpaid carer.
I mean, the criteria there is surely "I'm over 18 and live in BL3 or BL4." I can't imagine that they're going to question you, if you turn up you'll get vaccinated. It rather defeats the object otherwise.

edit - @P-Ro, because if you're going to have an immediate, unforeseen anaphylactic reaction, it's best to do it somewhere where there are doctors and resuscitation equipment?