The "value in the market" thread - (CDM, ST, Backup RB)

jesperjaap

I see Jefferson SOteldo has just moved from Santos to Toronto for about £4m. He may be tiny, but that is cracking value for me. I think he could have been a great signing for lots of premiership clubs. If it wasnt for all the youngsters comign through he would have been an excellent back up to Rashford for me, especially if Pogba were to leave. Could probably have got him free in a swap for Pereira too....and he is a United fan.

As for this thread, seems strange to me reading of decent players for £40-50m being considered good value and £180m for Kane and Grealish being cracking value in the market? Obviously great players but when have we spent £180m in a window let alone on just two players?

The simple truth is, there is simply no value within the premiership. Hardly new news as been like that for a long time. There are a lot of cracking young players but £40-50m isnt even going to buy many of them. WHen we consider probably the best teenager in Europe in Camavinga will be around £50m....these signings simply dont represent great value in terms of fees.

I still think France offers the best value fee wise. The likes of Kamara, Soumare, Gouiri, Caqueret, Badiashile, Thuram are slightly lesser known names in the U21 who area all talented. Then there are the likes of Renato Sanches, Golovin, Depay, Cherki, Bamba, Ikone.

I doubt any of these players would cost much over £30m tops and several of them could be really good signings for premiership sides. Out of those we seem to have been linked with Soumare, Badiashile and Cherki. Only seen Cherki on youtube so cant comment though obviously talented. Badiashile I dont think is ready to make a big move and Soumare looks a good player, but maybe over rated and not someone we should target.

I would sign Kamara who looks an excellent talent to me with a lot of room for development. The player I have followed for a long time and I think can play for a huge club is Giouri who had injury setbacks early on and develop stunted at Lyon as he couldnt get games over some big strikers. The only reason I wouldnt sign him is he seems to be getting developed on the left and isnt turning into an out and out striker and we already have Rashford, Greenwood and Martial but he would be an excellent signing for lost of premiership sides for me, including the likes of Liverpool if they were to lose some of there forward players this summer.

marktan

I see Jefferson SOteldo has just moved from Santos to Toronto for about £4m. He may be tiny, but that is cracking value for me. I think he could have been a great signing for lots of premiership clubs. If it wasnt for all the youngsters comign through he would have been an excellent back up to Rashford for me, especially if Pogba were to leave. Could probably have got him free in a swap for Pereira too....and he is a United fan.

As for this thread, seems strange to me reading of decent players for £40-50m being considered good value and £180m for Kane and Grealish being cracking value in the market? Obviously great players but when have we spent £180m in a window let alone on just two players?

The simple truth is, there is simply no value within the premiership. Hardly new news as been like that for a long time. There are a lot of cracking young players but £40-50m isnt even going to buy many of them. WHen we consider probably the best teenager in Europe in Camavinga will be around £50m....these signings simply dont represent great value in terms of fees.

I still think France offers the best value fee wise. The likes of Kamara, Soumare, Gouiri, Caqueret, Badiashile, Thuram are slightly lesser known names in the U21 who area all talented. Then there are the likes of Renato Sanches, Golovin, Depay, Cherki, Bamba, Ikone.

I doubt any of these players would cost much over £30m tops and several of them could be really good signings for premiership sides. Out of those we seem to have been linked with Soumare, Badiashile and Cherki. Only seen Cherki on youtube so cant comment though obviously talented. Badiashile I dont think is ready to make a big move and Soumare looks a good player, but maybe over rated and not someone we should target.

I would sign Kamara who looks an excellent talent to me with a lot of room for development. The player I have followed for a long time and I think can play for a huge club is Giouri who had injury setbacks early on and develop stunted at Lyon as he couldnt get games over some big strikers. The only reason I wouldnt sign him is he seems to be getting developed on the left and isnt turning into an out and out striker and we already have Rashford, Greenwood and Martial but he would be an excellent signing for lost of premiership sides for me, including the likes of Liverpool if they were to lose some of there forward players this summer.
True r.e. France, just that very few people here watch that Movie 1 so can't really trend players. Hopefully our scouts are doing there jobs.

But r.e. the PL - sometimes there are good deals to be done e.g. Mane. It's only really feasible for the players that are very good but not great yet - the likes of Kane and Grealish are already great and hence too expensive. I'd put players like Saint-Maximin, Bissouma, Buendia in the category of players that can make the jump to great and would be more affordable.

jesperjaap

True r.e. France, just that very few people here watch that Movie 1 so can't really trend players. Hopefully our scouts are doing there jobs.

But r.e. the PL - sometimes there are good deals to be done e.g. Mane. It's only really feasible for the players that are very good but not great yet - the likes of Kane and Grealish are already great and hence too expensive. I'd put players like Saint-Maximin, Bissouma, Buendia in the category of players that can make the jump to great and would be more affordable.
Well Mane was a good deal of course but was still £34m, premiership cheap yes, though five years ago. I think the only real value is from teams relegated or already in the championship. The likes of Maddison and Watkins, but even those deals were really no cheaper than buying similar players on the continent, quite the opposite.

With Newcastle staying up....who knows what SAint-Maxim would cost.....I think probably £40-50m which again isnt cheap when he cost less than half of that from the very Ligue we are talking about a couple of years ago. Just one good season in the premiership and the prices go expensive, lookat Fofana, great prospect, very good debut season but hasnt done anything to justyify such a ludicrous price tag so far. I think this is an area within the transfer market that we have failed in the last decade. We have bought some very talented very young players recently and we have made some big signings both from the premiership and outside. But there havent been many signings of up and coming players starting to breakthrough from the premiership and certainly not outside of it. I can only really think of our full backs as those type of signings and then its right back to Depay....sure I have missed some but cant think of any.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
West Brom’s Pereira is going to be a decent pickup for someone.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What’s the criteria? Under 30m?

GK- Heaton
RB- Trippier
CB- Ajer
DM- Ajer
RW- Tsyskankov
CF- Daka

yes, there are FM players :lol:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Feel like our best chance to get him was when Norwich went down
I think him getting them back up, we could nick him on the cheap tbh. No one wants to buy him. Might be a clue that he's actually poor but always looks good and his numbers are good.

Mark Pawelek

What’s the criteria? Under 30m?

GK- Heaton
RB- Trippier
CB- Ajer
DM- Ajer
RW- Tsyskankov
CF- Daka

yes, there are FM players :lol:
Good selection.
Contract (years)​
GK​
Heaton​
0​
Already agreed to join United?​
RB​
Trippier​
1​
Like, but United don't buy 30-year old players​
CB​
Ajer​
1​
Won't know if he's good enough until you try him. Not a DM for United.​
RW​
Tsyskankov​
2​
Wildcard​
CF​
Daka​
3​
Like, but we have Cavani, Martial and Greenwood​

jamesjimmybyrondean

How about Milenkovic available for 25m. Is he any good? Looks like a good Maguire partner in his highlights

SER19

Lower price tags than targets reported, to be considered as depth options mainly

RB- Trippier/Aarons
CB- Botman
DM- Bissouma (Soumare looks Leicester bound)
RW- Buendia
CF- Vlahovic

jesperjaap

Think we have to remember, we are trying to close the gap on City and improve our first eleven. Think there is a big difference between value in the market and buying cheaper players.
They still have to improve us. For me the likes of Buendia, Trippier, Pereira of West Brom dont improve the quality and I dont think we should be looking at squad signings either unless really young players with huge ability like we have done recently. We should be lookign at first team signings.

I would say even at 36/37 Ronaldo is great value for £20m...but then we have to consider wages as more like a cost of £60-90m over two seasons which is a different story.

For me, players I expect would cost us about £40m or under that could still improve our first eleven would include:

Romagnoli
Romero
Zakaria
Kamara
Bissouma
Neuhaus
Koopmeiners

All centre backs or midfielders. I dont think there are any rw or cf for £40m or under that improve us attackign wise for the first eleven in the short term at least. Midfield wise my dream signing would be Camavinga. Considering we could sign him and pretty much any of these cm for the same price as Rice, is why we shouldn go for Rice, though I rate him highly personally.
Not seen a huge amount of the centre backs this season, but from what I have seen of them, I actually pefer them over the mroe expensive centre backs we are getting linked with. Apart from Marquinhos and Varane, I dont really rate most of the others linked much at all.

A Romagnoli/Romero - Kamara/Bissouma - Camavinga/Zakaria - Sancho/Grealish window is realistically possible and under £200m, with £50/60m of deadwood sales wouldnt even have to make any major sales in a best case scenario. I think all of those players are more than capable of being first eleven players too

Mr Smith

Think we have to remember, we are trying to close the gap on City and improve our first eleven. Think there is a big difference between value in the market and buying cheaper players.
They still have to improve us. For me the likes of Buendia, Trippier, Pereira of West Brom dont improve the quality and I dont think we should be looking at squad signings either unless really young players with huge ability like we have done recently. We should be lookign at first team signings.

I would say even at 36/37 Ronaldo is great value for £20m...but then we have to consider wages as more like a cost of £60-90m over two seasons which is a different story.

For me, players I expect would cost us about £40m or under that could still improve our first eleven would include:

Romagnoli
Romero
Zakaria
Kamara
Bissouma
Neuhaus
Koopmeiners

All centre backs or midfielders. I dont think there are any rw or cf for £40m or under that improve us attackign wise for the first eleven in the short term at least. Midfield wise my dream signing would be Camavinga. Considering we could sign him and pretty much any of these cm for the same price as Rice, is why we shouldn go for Rice, though I rate him highly personally.
Not seen a huge amount of the centre backs this season, but from what I have seen of them, I actually pefer them over the mroe expensive centre backs we are getting linked with. Apart from Marquinhos and Varane, I dont really rate most of the others linked much at all.

A Romagnoli/Romero - Kamara/Bissouma - Camavinga/Zakaria - Sancho/Grealish window is realistically possible and under £200m, with £50/60m of deadwood sales wouldnt even have to make any major sales in a best case scenario. I think all of those players are more than capable of being first eleven players too
What about Marcelo Brosovic at Inter in defensive midfield? Inter are desperate for money and I'm not fully convinced by anyone we've been linked to in that position up until now. He'd be cheaper than Rice or Ndidi certainly.

jesperjaap

What about Marcelo Brosovic at Inter in defensive midfield? Inter are desperate for money and I'm not fully convinced by anyone we've been linked to in that position up until now. He'd be cheaper than Rice or Ndidi certainly.
Not really seen much Italian football this season, I recognise him from the Croatia squad but cant really comment on him. I did want us to sign Barella or Tonali last summer though. Heard Barella has done well, not heard much of Tonali though. Think it is a little different to last summer in that they wanted to stay in Italy, where as this year most of the young talents available arent set on staying in there domestic leagues....but we shouldnt be missing out again this summer on those types of talents if we can get them....mainly in the French league this time

Mr Smith

Not really seen much Italian football this season, I recognise him from the Croatia squad but cant really comment on him. I did want us to sign Barella or Tonali last summer though. Heard Barella has done well, not heard much of Tonali though. Think it is a little different to last summer in that they wanted to stay in Italy, where as this year most of the young talents available arent set on staying in there domestic leagues....but we shouldnt be missing out again this summer on those types of talents if we can get them....mainly in the French league this time
Brozovic is great, I'm really surprised there haven't been any links at all to him, though there could be any number of reasons for that. For me he just seems a much cheaper (and more experienced) alternative the the players we've been linked with. Tonali has been a bit in and out of the side for Milan; if we're considering someone that young and raw, we should just be going all-out for Camavinga. I've been vaguely aware of Camavinga for a while but I only recently got round to watching some of his work, and my goodness he is a baller; a perfect mix of the defensive tenacity and quality on the ball that we need. Should be our top priority, though I don't think he'll be as cheap as you seem to think.

jesperjaap

Brozovic is great, I'm really surprised there haven't been any links at all to him, though there could be any number of reasons for that. For me he just seems a much cheaper (and more experienced) alternative the the players we've been linked with. Tonali has been a bit in and out of the side for Milan; if we're considering someone that young and raw, we should just be going all-out for Camavinga. I've been vaguely aware of Camavinga for a while but I only recently got round to watching some of his work, and my goodness he is a baller; a perfect mix of the defensive tenacity and quality on the ball that we need. Should be our top priority, though I don't think he'll be as cheap as you seem to think.
Yes Camavinga my dream signing this summer. His contract situation should keep the price down even if there is competition for him.Rumoured to be £50m which is still a big fee considering the contract. He does have everything and reminds me a bit of one of my favourite players in Edgar Davids

gorky_utd

Suppose we can only afford two players I think we should go for Rice and Sancho.
In: Sancho, Rice (80+65=145m)
Out: Lingard, James, Mata, Dalot (45m)
First xi:
Rashford Cavani Sancho
Pogba Rice Bruno
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Awb
Gk
Reserve:
Martial Greenwood Diallo
Fred Mctominay Vdb
Telles Bailly Tuanzebe Williams
Gk
Not sure about the Gk situation but if we play 433 then at least on paper this look good. No idea about value signings though.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Instead of Sancho, we could get Raphina and Neto.
Instead of Rice, we could get Bissouma and Zakaria.

4 quality players IMO, this is the kind of route I'd like to think we'd take now that we have a DOF.

macheda14

4 quality players IMO, this is the kind of route I'd like to think we'd take now that we have a DOF.
Yes because Leeds and Wolves will sell their best players for 40 mill. Raphina would probably be worth 60 mill. Leeds aren’t strapped for cash.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We already have many excellent prospect needing game time next season, such as Diallo, Hannibal etc. What we need is someone who could immediately improve our first team, and avoid signings like VDB who is complete waste of money who can’t even improve our bench.

jeepers

What about Suat Serdar? I haven’t followed football in general as much during the pandemic period. Schalke had train-wreck of a season and if Serdar wants to leave he could possibly be had for a bargain price.

No idea about Milenkovic, but his name keeps popping up. Could we do a double deal for him and Vlahovic?

I would love for us to go for Ndidi over Rice, but Leicester will probably ask for 100m.

Lee565

I wouldn't mind seeing depay being brought back to the club on a free, even though he may not have the best mentality and work ethic on the pitch, at least he could be a free like for like replacement for martial who we can then sell to add to our transfer budget to use on first team improvement

manc exile

Supports
City
Sell: Van de Beek 40 Mil
De Gea 35 Mil
Bailly 15 Mil
Pereira 10 Mil

Let go of Matic + Mata so we can free up approx 10-12 Mil p/a

Extend Cavani one more Year
Current Form Lingard + 15-20 Mil exchange for Declan Rice with WHU
Martial + 20 mio Exchange Sancho with Dortmund (Dortmund would have a good replacement and a new challenge for Martial)
Try and get Varane who has one more Year on his Contract for around 45-50 Mil.

Then we still have the Budget to go all out on Haaland or Kane

We'd have an absolute fantastic and fairly young Squad to challenge on all fronts:

-----------Henderson
AWB Varane maguire Shaw
----------------Rice
------Pogba---- fernades
Sancho haaland/kane rashford

Greenwood, Cavani, Lindelof, Telles, Amad, James, Fred, Mctominay,
Mengi, Tuanzebe, Garner, Dalot, Pellistri, Elanga, Mejbri, Shoretire
there is no way we get anywhere near 40 million for van de beek or 15 for bailley or 10 for pereria

croadyman

Feel like our recruitment team should be looking for a value in the market CDM and prioritising Varane & Sancho, then again I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Utd see CB as the position to buy cheap and go all in for Rice instead

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW

How about this lad? The write is getting me warm.
The raw skills that he possesses are highly impressive without a doubt. Would be a really exciting "classic" United signing in the sense that he's a good player with the potential to step up to a higher level and become one of the best. I certainly wouldn't say no :drool:

jesperjaap

Zakaria has had a few injury problems hasnt he? Not seen him at all this last season, but he reminds me of a few players rolled in to one and £30-40m. I still think we need two central midfielders personally as I am on the Pogba to be sold side. Obviously we cant go an dbuy two huge signings. but with contracts and age, the likes of Kamara, Zakaria and even Camavinga are so much cheaper than Rice and offer something much more different to the optiosn we currently have. That being siad, though I think the fee is a good £20m too high, I do think people on here seem to under rate Rice, am looking forward to seeing him in the Euros, think there are a few England players outside the likes of Chelsea/City that have already made a name for themselves in Europe. I think Rice and Grealish are the two main ones.

On a personal note, though I like both, I really think with Neto especially, pundits seem to be over hyping them. Dont see either as potentially world class myself....I do with Grealish and Sancho, with the fact they are Englsih too...which does count, has to be one of them for me

jesperjaap

there is no way we get anywhere near 40 million for van de beek or 15 for bailley or 10 for pereria
We did pay £35m for VDB and he is still highly regarded aroudn Europer (overly so for me). ALso what centre back can you buy for £15m, of coruse we would get that fee for him if we were to sell. Pereira I maybe agree with as he is failing in his loan spells and he still has two years on his contract, think its either a nominal fee of another loan with the option to buy cheap...or his contrct just hets ran down....but £55m or there abouts for VDB and Bailly is hardly unrealistic, not that I think we will sell either this summer

jesperjaap

The raw skills that he possesses are highly impressive without a doubt. Would be a really exciting "classic" United signing in the sense that he's a good player with the potential to step up to a higher level and become one of the best. I certainly wouldn't say no :drool:
Didnt realise he got young player of he season in SPain, surprising with all the praise Pedri is getting. NOt seen much Spanish football domestically. I do remember Isak being highly rated as one to watch years ago....not sure he would be that cheap though this summer for any club on the back of his stats and awards last season

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  • Sancho for 80m
  • Locatelli for 40m
  • Sergio Ramos for free
  • Trippier for 25m
Sell Pogba to Juve to get that sorted, he's not gonna renew so might as well move on finally.

TheRedHearted

• Sancho for 80m
  • Locatelli for 40m
  • Sergio Ramos for free
  • Trippier for 25m
Sell Pogba to Juve to get that sorted, he's not gonna renew so might as well move on finally.
So if pogba goes what’s our starting midfield for you? Would it be
DVD———Bruno
——Locatelli

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So if pogba goes what’s our starting midfield for you? Would it be
DVD———Bruno
——Locatelli
Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Fred Locatelli
Shaw Maguire Ramos Wan Bissaka
Henderson​

Van de Beek, McTominay and whoever to rotate in for Fred.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How about Denzel Dumfries as a backup RB/attacking option against weaker sides if Atletico want silly money for Trippier?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Since RVP have we even had one transfer(excluding free transfers) where the player overperformed in regards to expectations?

As united fans are we just cursed by incompetent negotiators?

peridigm

Since RVP have we even had one transfer(excluding free transfers) where the player overperformed in regards to expectations?

Negotiators have nothing to do with player performance. If anything, it’s poor scouting, coaching, or both.

Impulse

Bruno? Many weren't sure if he could handle the step up from the Portuguese league.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Negotiators have nothing to do with player performance. If anything, it’s poor scouting, coaching, or both.
That plays a huge part as well as you rightly point out. Still seems like we'll never really get this elusive "value in the market"

Jacob

Can't see Ramos joining. De Gea on his way out, Mata retiring, Ander gone. The Spanish armada is sinking.