The Virgin League Draft - Fortitude vs. Zlatan 7 (GROUP A)

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Fortitude....................................................................................................................................Zlatan 7
..........VS...........

Team Fortitude (J. Altafini dropped)

High press with high line and aggressive attack.

Defensive line: pace, aggression, aerial competence, physical strength, intelligence and reading of play plus two centrebacks who are able to play up and out of defense to open men on the inside or outside of them. I have confidence in the CB-pairing against any type of striker or support striker. Both full-backs are impressive overlappers and Kimmich has a wand for a foot, essentially being my Junior as and when necessary when not only joining the attack, but loitering in midfield when required and aiding the press.

Midfield: Rock-solid. Passing, pressing, press resistance, stamina, tackling, intercepting, reading of play, counter-attacking, aggression, mobility, defensive height, shooting and all three of them can switch positions on a whim, which not only enables formation flexibility, but also means there's no bad position to put them in i.e. my DM is being covered by a CM or AM; in this midfield, it amounts to the same thing as all of them are fluid and capable as DM's, CM's and no slouches in attack.

Attack: My front line is teeming with quality, flexibility and dynamism. Finney is my star man - a Cristiano before Cristiano and he will be a lethal proposition whether driving to the byline, cutting inside or plain supplying the tenacious terror, Carlos Tevez. With Tevez in place of Altafini for this game, I may lose some polish and finnesse, but I will gain more doggedness and outright ferocity from the Argentine pitbull.

Hoeneß is aggression and proactivity personified and not only will he drive to the box in attack, he will drop deep into midfield and link up with Kimmich, Hanappi and sometimes Haan as and when required to do so. His energy and intelligence combined with Kimmich and Hanappi makes for one of the hardest working and dynamic flanks in the draft outright. I am confident in him and it in both directions.

Arie Haan is one of, if not the greatest long-range shooter of all time. It would be downright negligent for any side to let him play from deep, which is great for me as it forces action towards him and makes simply holding position and trying to pick my players off very difficult to do. The moment the opposition decide to engage, the midfield carousal ensues, by which Toninho Cerezo and Hanappi both get space to work on or off the ball.

Cerezo is my ball retainer in midfield, and again, one of the best midfielders in the entire draft in this particular aspect of play. He is adept in any style of play or opportunistic scenario via his passing, dribbling and intelligence. I cannot say I have special plans in place for Zlatan 7 as my team will be the one pushing the pace and theirs, reacting to it. There is a lack of outstanding pace in Zlatan's attack, which means they will have to nurture the ball and build with considered football. Busquets is press resistant; Seedorf is a strong and rounded central midfielder, but I feel the rest of the components in the side are overkill for a 3-man midfield and in a 2, with Donadoni and Ginola flanking, they are extremely narrow with only decent overlappers in Pearce and Rezeiger to provide width. Overall, I don't believe this midfield to be potent enough against such an oppressive unit as I have

Just as verses Theoga, there's a question to be answered in how long Zlatan's side can hang with mine in terms of engines and high intensity play. My team is set up to be relentless, and with Tevez added, that has only redoubled the oppressive force - I just don't know if there is enough wind in Zlatan's proverbial sails to rebuff my marauders. My attack is individually problematic, but also collectively a very dogged unit - I feel one way, or another, they'll get the job done.

Team Zlatan 7 (A. Barzagli dropped)

This time using more width with Ginola and donadoni to get at the fullbacks keeping them pinned back or exploiting the space behind them

Good luck @Fortitude @Zlatan 7

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There defense is legit tiny although I just don't see you exploiting it that much and if you can't do that it is an incredible defence. I think you would be better off with a proper midfield playmaker and you would have more chance of scoring. I might be underestimating Hanappi TBF though.

Do you have more on Picchi not working in the NT? If Picchi couldn't work flat defence it would be an argument against him appearing in any drafts because standing behind the back 3 or 4 wouldn't work with modern offside rules. That doesn't mean this argument would be wrong though.

Lastly on height, one reason I picked Zmuda was to have extra height at the back as Santamaria was under 6ft.
I should respond to this and say Hanappi was a driver into the box as well as a hot shot shooter outside of it, a Matthaeus lite given his driving, tireless nature. When utilised as the attacking midfielder, Hanappi was a prolific scorer, and amongst numerous scoring bounties, topped the scoring charts with a 1:1 ratio in the 1955-;'56 season:

SeasonClubMGRChaCup
64/65Rapid Wien102 (I)--
63/64Rapid Wien2011 (I)-
62/63Rapid Wien2504 (I)--
61/62Rapid Wien2415 (I)--
60/61Rapid Wien2566 (I)-
59/60Rapid Wien2561 (I)-
58/59Rapid Wien2662 (I)--
57/58Rapid Wien2642 (I)--
56/57Rapid Wien2551 (I)-
55/56Rapid Wien25251 (I)-
54/55Rapid Wien2583 (I)--
53/54Rapid Wien24211 (I)-
52/53Rapid Wien26143 (I)--
51/52Rapid Wien25151 (I)-

As you can see, until he dropped into defensive priority roles, he was a prolific scorer from midfield, interchangeable with anyone of his ilk from other generations who did the same.

Hanappi is severely underrated, or simply unknown, it seems. When I said my midfield had serious oomph and interchangibility, I wasn't doing a hype job.

@Zlatan 7 good luck.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lovely 4-4-2 here. We've had a British one by @Edgar Allan Pillow and now we have an Italian-themed one.

Was Kimmich's performance yesterday enough to carry all 4 of Ter Stegen, Varane, Alba and Koulibali? :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
'Fortunately' only Ter Stegen was involved in that debacle. The Varane and Koulibaly I have don't know of the horrors of their 2020 selves!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Am really sorry Zlatan as I like most of your teams and ideas, but David Ginola is the worst player that ever walked on earth for me.

Killed every team he played in. Managed to throw France out of WC 1994 by sheer stupidity. And I have to listen to this crap about Cantona not being good on international stage while him being majestic in qualification.

To not put it only on modelling bellend, I do like Fortitude team a bit more. That midfield and attack is beautiful.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
All the best fortitude. I fancy my chances here although I don’t know enough about your midfield, I’ll have a little read now

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Am really sorry Zlatan as I like most of your teams and ideas, but David Ginola is the worst player that ever walked on earth for me.

Killed every team he played in. Managed to throw France out of WC 1994 by sheer stupidity. And I have to listen to this crap about Cantona not being good on international stage while him being majestic in qualification.

To not put it only on modelling bellend, I do like Fortitude team a bit more. That midfield and attack is beautiful.
Haha no probs Jim, I had hoped for Pires but didn’t quite work out that way

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Haha no probs Jim, I had hoped for Pires but didn’t quite work out that way
Am being harsh though and others shouldn't judge anything from it as it is just my personal opinion on certain players.

Quite sure many people rate him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think @Zlatan 7 has created a well fitting formation for his players. As I said last game, I see Klinsmann/Mancini as an ace forward duo, and the wingers should blend nicely with them.

@Fortitude's team looks allround well-designed for the style he wants to play. The front three will cause the opposition defenders headaches, and the back four + GK are well suited for the task of playing in a high line. The CM partnership between Cereso and Haan looks really good, and I think there'll be a great dynamic between these two when Haan moves forward.

My main question for this game is how Forti's pressing would play out against Zlatan's team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think @Zlatan 7 has created a well fitting formation for his players. As I said last game, I see Klinsmann/Mancini as an ace forward duo, and the wingers should blend nicely with them.

@Fortitude's team looks allround well-designed for the style he wants to play. The front three will cause the opposition defenders headaches, and the back four + GK are well suited for the task of playing in a high line. The CM partnership between Cereso and Haan looks really good, and I think there'll be a great dynamic between these two when Haan moves forward.

My main question for this game is how Forti's pressing would play out against Zlatan's team.
Think a midfield 2 of Seedorf and Albertini are going to have problems between the lines with Hanappi's runs and tireless foraging for space. Seedorf wants to be on the offensive or neutral end controlling the play not tracking a pest of a player and Albertini is not sitting at the base of midfield with runners either side of him so it's a big onus on him to keep his eye on the space in behind Seedorf whilst trying to man central midfield in the general sense.

Personally think you need a more workmanlike 4-man midfield with a left midfielder who can tuck and aid in the central battle to make it work when having the central midfield number disadvantage. That, or two proper defensively astute midfielders in the middle (DM+DM; CM+DM; CM+CM of the Keane-Ince/Butt variety) Seedorf is many things, but a defensive rock takes a lot away from his offensive and/or controlling game, imo.

Haan-Cerezo vs Seedorf-Albertini is tough enough, but the extra man in Hanappi really opens up the midfield for me, imo. Finney doing his thing really destablises the pocket of space in behind Albertini and takes him away from the central area at times and isolating Rezieger, too. That's a battle between players tiers apart, just a bad matchup for Rezieger.

Think my team can get at Zlatan's whilst keeping a very solid shape - my attack is a problematic one for his personnel, I think.

EDIT: Rezieger for Pearce - point still remains. Albertini having to drift over to that side is a different dynamic; Donadoni is much more defensively robust than Ginola, though, so feasibly Donadoni and Rezeiger working to contain Finney with the occasional hands on from Albertini

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pearce was quite good actually. Although, yeah, Finney is Finney.
Don't know why I read the line up wrong; not Pearce on Finney, but the problem does shuffle over to the other side for them, I think. More pace and mobility from Rezieger, but his smarts weren't the best. Think Finney would turn him inside out.

Hoeness vs Pearce is an interesting contest - Hoeness' roaming between the lines and diagonals asks questions of Pearce. A different predicament to Finney's brilliance, but effective nonetheless.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Can visualize Forti's enthusiastic tactical briefing and the looks on his players' faces "Okay, who tells him...?"

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Fortitude already had an excellent team from the previous round, but Zlatan has improved his brilliantly. The 5-3-2 was good, but this is much better.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks Edgar, I like a 442, I had a few of your players on my radar too