The Virgin League Draft - King Kendrick vs. Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam (GROUP D)

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
King Kendrick...........................................................................................................Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam
..........VS...........

Team King Kendrick (D. Drogba dropped)

Formation:

4-3-3 built on the '04 Jose Chelsea side, with a twist.

Defence:
Well rounded full backs in De Boer and Juanfran who can get forward while still maintaining their defensive responsibilities. Sergio Ramos and Virgil comprise the middle of the defense, two great defenders who compliment each other well. Sergio played as a ball playing CB under Jose to great effect, while Virgil is a colossus of a defender.

Midfield:
Three in the middle, with Socrates as the midfielder who pushes furthest forward. Ballack plays as a box-to-box, with Jansen in the holding midfield position. While not as defensively sound as that ‘04 Chelsea team, Jansen can still effectively drop back to fill in for Ramos when he moves forward with the ball.

Attack:
One of my favorite things to watch was that Chelsea team with Eidur in rather than Didier. Hazard plays the most reserved role dropping back to pick up the ball and dribbling forward, as an inverted Joe Cole. Cantona can play the Eidur role in being a creator while also fully capable of leading the line. All three can beat their men off the dribble, while Sterling also adds that devastating pace to get in behind, like Robben. All three can interchange positions as well.

Team Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam (H. Larsson dropped for R. Sosa)

Formation/Style of play: 3-4-3, uber-sexy and attacking;

Attacking 3-4-3 with incredible quality in our build-up play. One of the greatest passers from deeper areas in Koeman in his element, bulwarked by two excellent side CBs, two WBs who are truly exceptional in possession, and an elite playmaking CM in Liedholm. Our three-man attack has the technical quality and cutting edge to maximize the many opportunities that our brilliant deeper build-up play will produce.

Player Roles:

GK: Iker Casillas
- One of the best GKs in the pool, and a keeper who has dealt with the demands of both the back-pass rule demanding competence with the ball at his feet, and high-line defences mandating an ability to come of his line when necessary. At his peak, especially elevating his level in high-pressure games with fantastic shot-stopping ability often making the difference between losing and winning team in the end.

RCB: Orvar Bergmark - Better to refer you to Annah's brilliant profile here than to regurgitate it, but basically a fast, powerful defence-first side CB who looks a great foil to Koeman and a perfect player to cover for wide areas behind Trent.

Sweeper: Ronald Koeman - one of the greatest passers from deep areas ever and one of the greatest goalscoring defenders ever playing in the sort of 'we'll outscore you' set up that he excelled in under Cruyff. Pretty much, one of the most unique defenders in football history and he should absolutely thrive in this set up.

LCB: Dario Pereyra - Uruguayan great who was both a silky footballer and tenacious enough to perform a competent man-marking job on peak - Diego Maradona during WC 86. Playing his best years for São Paulo he is still remembered and revered as one of the best centre-backs in the history of Brazilian football.

RWB: Trent Alexander-Arnold - he'll be probably a divisive pick again of course (as all modern players will), but the boy now has 1 very good breakthrough season and 2 stunning insanely productive seasons under his belt. A superbly gifted player in possession in a system to maximize his huge strengths even more.

LWB: Marcelo - there's a strong argument that he's the most expansively gifted LB/LWB ever in the attacking phase, and the fact that he was our first pick indicates that the system was built around maximising his immense influence.

Defensive CM: Esteban Cambiasso - tactically excellent with immense grit and work-ethic, he was a vital pick for us to pull off this demanding formation.

Playmaking CM: Nils Liedholm - one of the highest-regarded footballers in the entire pool. A tall, elegant and creative metronome with the defensive workrate and intelligence which makes him a perfect playmaker for this set up.

Ruben Sosa: Left Forward - mercurial speedster who was MVP at Copa America 1989 and subsequently peaked at club level with a 20 goal in 28 games season for Inter Milan during Serie A's heyday. Individualistic to a fault at times, but he'll provide a great cutting edge here with such a cerebral supoorting cast.

Laszlo Kubala: Right Forward - The player who united physical power with exceptional technique. Not many players have been so good as to necessitate the building of a new stadium for them, much less the Nou Camp. Surely Messi has surpassed him now, but in 2001 Barcelona fans voted Kubala as their greatest ever player, an incredible accolade given the scant footage available and the extraordinary conveyor belt of talent that has passed through the club from Cruyff to Maradona, and Romario to Ronaldo.

Enzo Francescoli: playmaking CF - at his most prolific during his earlier career at CF yet still a selfless runner with wonderful technique and approach play, he'll play a vital role in knitting together our attack nd bringing the two match-winning virtuosos Sosa and Kubala into play.

Conclusion: the team is built to go outside, outplay and outscore the opposition while still being strong at the back. However you look at it, there are such a huge range of possibilities while we're in the attack which along with the individual quality of personnel guarantees a hard time for any defence to deal with.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
PB&J (I know that it's the wrong acronym but I'm going to refer to them as the sandwich brothers) look better than I expected, although their middle is still a bit weak – I'm not sure how effectively they would be able to handle Socrates, Cantona and Hazard, all of whom tend to drift between the lines. Koeman - Francescoli spine looks mint.

Cantona and Socrates will probably spent half the game admiring how cool they look together :) In all seriousness, I would've loved someone a little more selfish and prolific in place of Hazard – he was always a bit of an enigma in terms of his final product and he already has Cantona and Socrates to provide endless creativity and flair. I also prefer Sterling on the left personally.

Himannv

I thought Bean Mustard had the best team and I think I had them at number one when I ranked the teams. However, here I am voting for the other team. :lol:

I just think @King Kendrick will be deadly with the ball. His CBs can play out from the back and Jansen will create from the deep as well. Up front, I think Cantona is too clever for Koeman and Sterling will trouble the back three with his pace, while Hazard will dribble past it on occasion. Socrates runs into the gaps and plays off Cantona with Ballack aiding the attack as well. It just seems a bit too much to handle. It's a team that would be even stronger had Drogba played.

Maybe I don't rate the defensive prowess of Liedholm enough to play in that central midfield against such odds. It feels like Cambiasso will have too many fires to put out centrally.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

@Physiocrat here is one clip against PSV, got forward a fair bit.

most of the (admittedly brief search) clips ive found are of him taking pot shots and free kicks/headers
Thanks for the vid. Looks reasonable going forward. I'm still thinking though you might want someone a little more attacking behind Hazard.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
All the best @King Kendrick :)

I will just put a few thoughts and we will try not to double down on Kendrick (Mustard will probably add few of his thoughts later and I will step out).

We knew there will be questions about Liedholm and we don't mind it. So, if anyone thinks De Bruyne or for example Fabregas can't play this role also feel free to hit the other button.

That is an 8, not a 10. He had immense stamina, pretty solid work rate too and you could always felt his defensive contribution in the match. And imo 3-4-3 works best with a playmaker who of course has a good work-rate along with a defensive minded CM.

As for King Kendrick, we were worried about Drogba, so quite happy that he dropped him, especially as it says he is going defensively and on the counter. We really didn't know how he would set up, but seeing the last draft I assumed he will go attacking again and for me that is an attacking one again despite Jose's Chelsea reference. He also had Fabregas - Drogba link which would double that same danger.
So, for me Drogba (along with Fabregas) would be far more dangerous is such a set up. Cantona always thrived behind the striker, Sterling is far better on the left and that defense of his (apart from Juanfran) screams high line which is pretty suicidal in this match up imho as it will be much easier to break the lines. As much as I appreciate the offensive approach a bit more defensive or closed one would be much more suited to play against our team. Or at least a different personnel if he insists he is playing defensively/on the counter.
In the end, not much, if any aerial danger which could maybe cause more trouble for our defense the way it is shaped.

On the other side, Koeman, Francescoli to cause havoc, side forwards to take advantage of that, both WB's, both side CB's (who very excellent man markers) or pretty much everyone in his element. But, as I said, if you think Liedholm can't play this role than fair enough (although, I obviously think that is quite wrong). Watch the video above first and then decide.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I am not a fan of the idea of picking Koeman and Marcelo (and TAA) and putting them in a 5 man defense even if it has 3 players who can attack incredibly.

Of course all 3 can function in a setup like this but if you look at the teams they played for, their role was not merely to provide attacking impetus. They were deadly when they caused attacking overloads with numbers. Be it Koeman at Barca, Marcelo or Madrid, TAA at Liverpool, they never played in such a system understandably as I don't think a team with 5 defenders can be uber attacking structurally. It still works for sure, but I don't think it brings the best out of them or the setup.

Not sure if that is a bit harsh, but that is how I felt as soon as they picked Bergmark for RCB. Interesting to hear what others feel.

For Kendrick, he has gotten lots right but harms is spot on with his analysis. You play only two of Socrates, Cantona and Hazard there. Either you get a number 9 or get a wing forward to replace one of them for that team's effectiveness to shoot up.

Not sure who to vote for at this point.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Maybe I don't rate the defensive prowess of Liedholm enough to play in that central midfield against such odds
He was imo, definitely solid enough defensively to play in a midfield duo. He was industrious and defensively proficient for a playmaking central midfielder.

Even in the footage available (58 WC) he's actually 35 which is pretty impressive.

Jim Beam

Be it Koeman at Barca, Marcelo or Madrid, TAA at Liverpool, they never played in such a system understandably as I don't think a team with 5 defenders can be uber attacking structurally.
Koeman played in 3-4-3 in Barcelona? If we had put Marcelo/TAA at FB's I would pay to see comments on their defensive game here. No, we put them so they can use their attacking skilset to the maximum and it is not good again?

Damned if you do, damned if you not I guess.

It is not the team with 5 defenders and I don't know how to even comment about 3-4-3 not being able to play attacking structurally.

GodShaveTheQueen

Koeman played in 3-4-3 in Barcelona?
That 3-4-3 didn't have 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks. Not even close to this.

It is not the team with 5 defenders
Unless Marcelo and TAA are wingers or side midfielders, they are still wingbacks i.e defenders.

I don't know how to even comment about 3-4-3 not being able to play attacking structurally.
Uber attacking is not the same as attacking. Is there a prominent 3-4-3 with 2 wingbacks in history that was uber attacking? Its historically been a balanced formation and sometimes defensive. Even holds true for the more recent ones

I don't think a team with 5 defenders can be uber attacking structurally.
I am sure some or most might still like find it completely opposite. But that is how I felt looking at it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought Bean Mustard had the best team and I think I had them at number one when I ranked the teams. However, here I am voting for the other team. :lol:

I just think @King Kendrick will be deadly with the ball. His CBs can play out from the back and Jansen will create from the deep as well. Up front, I think Cantona is too clever for Koeman and Sterling will trouble the back three with his pace, while Hazard will dribble past it on occasion. Socrates runs into the gaps and plays off Cantona with Ballack aiding the attack as well. It just seems a bit too much to handle. It's a team that would be even stronger had Drogba played.

Maybe I don't rate the defensive prowess of Liedholm enough to play in that central midfield against such odds. It feels like Cambiasso will have too many fires to put out centrally.
Yeah same here.

Both teams are really well drafted. Lots to like about P&JB, the front three, the wing-backs, the use of Koeman. Nitpicking but would prefer a more natural crossing target for Trent as it’s such a singular weapon of his.

For Kendrick in the squad list I thought there was going to be central 10 overload between Cantona, Sócrates and Ballack. But this works really well in ensuring clarity of roles and there is no obvious overlap. Absolutely love the use of Van Dijk and De Boer, such a complementary pairing on the left side of defence. The other side checks out too and the overall cohesion and balance is persuasive.

harms

Staff
Also I have a feeling that Ramos will find a creative way of using Kubala's tie.

Himannv

Not sure if that is a bit harsh, but that is how I felt as soon as they picked Bergmark for RCB. Interesting to hear what others feel
We'd probably have murdered them if they played Marcelo and Koeman in a back four side-by-side and completely ignored the obvious attacking overload aspect.

No, I think this was probably the way to go.

Jim Beam

That 3-4-3 didn't have 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks. Not even close to this.
No, it was much more a midfield diamond, but how would wingbacks who will stretch both side of the field actually not suit his game and dictating from the back. Especially, since Cantona will not press him and the other team will sit back? Oh well, it's a new one I guess as I didn't see anyone would question Koeman here.

Uber attacking is not the same as attacking. Is there a prominent 3-4-3 with 2 wingbacks in history that was uber attacking? Its historically been a balanced formation and sometimes defensive. Even holds true for the more recent ones
First one that came to mind. You wouldn't call Favre's Dortmund attacking? Our personnel just lifts it to another level.

All fine, as we expected at least a lot of discussion about the team structure from neutrals.

Also I have a feeling that Ramos will find a creative way of using Kubala's tie.
:lol: My design director went with full freedom there. Didn't want to argue much.

GodShaveTheQueen

First one that came to mind. You wouldn't call Favre's Dortmund attacking?
They play attractive football but I wouldn't call it uber attacking. Not the same thing.

We'd probably have murdered them if they played Marcelo and Koeman in a back four side-by-side and completely ignored the obvious attacking overload aspect.

No, I think this was probably the way to go.
Yea that is a fair point but that in fact would have been an uber attacking setup. Building uber attacking teams while getting the balance just right is that is why the toughest thing to do.

I agree that this was the way to go with these set of players. Just trying to evaluate on its effectiveness and if it brings the best out of the individuals.

That's about it from me on the subject. Will read the debate and vote tomorrow. Should be close.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Pat_Mustard @Jim Beam Will Marcelo and TAA bomb on at the same time? If so what happens to Koeman? Do all three attack at the same time or is it 2 of 3?

Could you show a pic of you in a typical attacking phase? Just trying to understand how it fits together

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
PatBeam have played this unnecessarily defensive. Don't particularly rate both midfields though prefer KKs a bit more. PatBeam have a slightly better attack. Kinda get a feel they'll sneak a goal and have enough to shut out the opposition.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I feel the moment you realise Koeman is in a team you're facing, you have to figure out the best way to throw a spanner in the works with the personnel you have, both because his defensive quality is always there to be exploited, but also to prevent him from playing his game and becoming a pest with his overloading and his distribution.

Cantona up top by himself just doesn't scream 'exploitation' to me, but if you are going to put him up top by himself, then have him as the conduit for two wing-forwards to run on behind and utilise his outstanding hold-up skills. In this respect, Sterling should have been lined up ahead of Cantona for me on that graphic and the outlining of the anarchy his pace, movement and balance could then cause, be highlighted. He should also be over on the left side for my money.

I don't think Hazard, Socrates and Cantona can fit into the same side - there's only one ball and there isn't enough cutting edge in that triumverate as all of them thrived as the decoy for others. Hazard and Socrates, for me, are going to take up similar spaces and want to go on similar runs off and on the ball, too. Ironically, put them as two AM's, left and right, and that could've been a very interesting proposition to contend with.

The team Jim and Pat put out was screaming to be attacked on the diagonals between the lines so it's a real surprise to not see Cesc in the team probing, with Ballack and Drogba central and absolutely forcing that backline to make choices that they wouldn't want to - Drogba was made for this game with Sterling wide of him, imo.

Jim and Pat went balls to the wall in pursuit of the game - that backline is not expecting to defend much! No issues with Liedholm in that role in this particular game but it is a curious affair to have Koeman and he in the same side. I don't know if I'd call it overkill, but their systems and approach are somewhat opposed unless they've got it about them to rotate methods and let one do his thing for a period and the other his, in which case, the mix-up could be tremendous, going from extreme retention to sudden and immediate probing balls from deep.I think against a more aggressive midfield, that is an issue that would be taken out of their collective hands as think time and overall pressure is reduced to the bare minimum, but in this game, it's not something I'd say doesn't or can't work.

I wouldn't say the game is a wash, but I have more belief in Jim and Pat's system working here than Kendrick's for the reasons stated. Shuffle his pack around, and I think the game looks very different, however.

Jim Beam

They play attractive football but I wouldn't call it uber attacking. Not the same thing.
Ok, you can call us uber attractive! :drool:

@Pat_Mustard @Jim Beam Will Marcelo and TAA bomb on at the same time? If so what happens to Koeman? Do all three attack at the same time or is it 2 of 3?

Could you show a pic of you in a typical attacking phase? Just trying to understand how it fits together
Koeman is the glue at the back and a bit more reserved one. This role of Koeman is much more similar to PSV one in Europe when they won CL/Europan Cup. Passing, distributing and fast transition along with holding the defence. You know as much as @Fortitude opinion is closest to mine I still find Koeman ranking here a bit ridiculous. It is not that the others teams have now Baresi, Scirea, etc... This man led PSV to European glory in 1988 letting 2 goals in last 5 games to give PSV the title. If Belodedici was the man who was immense at the back for Zvezda when they won, the same and more here applies for Koeman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987–88_European_Cup

Because of the nature of our wingbacks Koeman will be a little more reserved and play that exact role of fast distribution and joining only and once the opposition is camped.

As for the wingbacks, yes they are pretty much the essential part of the team. That is the reason why Marcelo was our first choice and Trent almost 3rd. Once we figured out that no one gives a feck about them we went for Trent later (now we know why).

Favre was mostly inspiration, so from what I saw both Hakimi and Guerrero are active in the phase of the attack making practically midfield 4 at all times in the attacking phase. Sometimes will one of them push with one staying just a bit more cautious, but very often will both bomb forward. The main tactic is always to exploit the space on the wings and that happens because your front 3 play very narrowly pushing the same shape on opposition defence which opens the space on the wing. Our luck wasn't getting Marcelo and Trent although we feel they are great for the role, but getting that attacking line who can act as described out of pure luck. They offer overload/attack from the wings, but also ability to play centrally opening space for Marcelo and Trent.

I will not try to be smarter then I am, so here is the video...

We are open to suggestions for better options on WB's aside Leandro, Jorginho and Kimmich.

Nitpicking but would prefer a more natural crossing target for Trent as it’s such a singular weapon of his.
His targets are not the likes of Klose, but Firmino, Salah and Mane. As much as I hate them. While we are nitpicking think a bit about Socrates in role of Lampard.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Jim Beam That is what I wanted to hear. Makes the most sense of Koeman and the full-backs. Will watch the video later

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I love this draft format without the usual stars and this match just reinforces it, I just liked looking through both teams with a smile. Like them both straight off so I’ll have a read of the thread first to see what’s been said.

Jim Beam

For Kendrick in the squad list I thought there was going to be central 10 overload between Cantona, Sócrates and Ballack. But this works really well in ensuring clarity of roles and there is no obvious overlap. Absolutely love the use of Van Dijk and De Boer, such a complementary pairing on the left side of defence. The other side checks out too and the overall cohesion and balance is persuasive.
What exactly works very well if I may ask? Socrates pushed back and often covering the wing for Hazard which will suit him to the teeth?

Do agree with Van Dijk and De Boer. Once you have Van Dijk it screams De Boer.

harms

Staff
Not totally sold on either team but I'll give Koeman & co. benefit of the doubt.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Pull Francescoli back into a #10 role with 2 pacy wing forwards ahead of him and suddenly he'd start looking like '86 Maradona lite. And that Koeman-Liedholm-Enzo link would be all the more apparent and there won't be any more criticism of the midfield being overwhelmed or being light etc, although it's fine as it is imo.

Jim Beam

Not totally sold on either team but I'll give Koeman & co. benefit of the doubt.
Very kind, yes we will accept even such votes. I really want to hear better options then Marcelo/Leandro in this system even in an all time pool as I will now let Mustard to go with his idea from the start. He will be up in about 2 hours.

Jim Beam

Pull Francescoli back into a #10 role with 2 pacy wing forwards ahead of him and suddenly he'd start looking like '86 Maradona lite. And that Koeman-Liedholm-Enzo link would be all the more apparent and there won't be any more criticism of the midfield being overwhelmed or being light etc, although it's fine as it is imo.
NO!!!

But, we do have match 2. Meaning we are saving some of our load. But, damn it if I will go against lazy criticism about Trent having one weapon when 7 of 12 assists were from the ground.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m struggling to vote here, I’d say that Kendrick lacks a goal scorer, I know they can all score goals but the front four seem more creators than scorers. But then I havnt seen enough of Kubala or Sosa to apply the same criticism (want a better word) to those two.
I’d feel bad for who ever I didn’t vote for but leaning towards Kendrick, I think is midfield and defence works, but then so does patjims, arghh

Jim Beam

I’m struggling to vote here, I’d say that Kendrick lacks a goal scorer, I know they can all score goals but the front four seem more creators than scorers. But then I havnt seen enough of Kubala or Sosa to apply the same criticism (want a better word) to those two.
Please wait for Batman poetry on this one.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What exactly works very well if I may ask? Socrates pushed back and often covering the wing for Hazard which will suit him to the teeth?

Do agree with Van Dijk and De Boer. Once you have Van Dijk it screams De Boer.
Ballack is pulled into the heart of midfield playing a box-to-box #8 role. Cantona is pushed forward to use his physical presence and ruthless finishing in a line-leading #9 role. Socrates has ample space to play as a #10 (and in any case dovetailed well with another #10 in Zico).

Your team looks strong and pure to its attack-minded purpose, but for me Ballack looked like the match winner in this one.

Jim Beam

Cantona is pushed forward to use his physical presence and ruthless finishing in a line-leading #9 role. Socrates has ample space to play as a #10 (and in any case dovetailed well with another #10 in Zico).
Examples of Cantona ruthless finishing as a line-leading 9? Examples of Sterling match winning performances on the right?

Appreciate the feedback btw.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Examples of Cantona ruthless finishing as a line-leading 9? Examples of Sterling match winning performances on the right?

Appreciate the feedback btw.
Well just because Ferguson never played a false 9 doesn’t mean Cantona cannot. He’s got the strength, finishing and all-round game to do it justice. Imagine if he was playing in the modern game for a 4-3-3 team that would be his role. I mean Trent’s never played wing-back in a 3-4-3 but I buy it without question. In terms of his ruthless finishing his almost one-man surge to the finish line to overhaul Newcastle comes to mind.

As for Sterling as a few say he’s better off the left flank. But he provides some essential play-stretching in an attack that seriously needs it. And would be a dangerous target for De Boer’s signature diagonal from left back, much appreciated by Rivaldo and Bergkamp cutting in from the right.

Jim Beam

Well just because Ferguson never played a false 9 doesn’t mean Cantona cannot. He’s got the strength, finishing and all-round game to do it justice. Imagine if he was playing in the modern game for a 4-3-3 team that would be his role. I mean Trent’s never played wing-back in a 3-4-3 but I buy it without question. In terms of his ruthless finishing his almost one-man surge to the finish line to overhaul Newcastle comes to mind.

As for Sterling as a few say he’s better off the left flank. But he provides some essential play-stretching in an attack that seriously needs it. And would be a dangerous target for De Boer’s signature diagonal from left back, much appreciated by Rivaldo and Bergkamp cutting in from the right.
To play in false 9 in Mourinho system with Socrates behind? I would give you that he would play in this system today. But he would still drop deep, he would go in Socrates zone and try to pin the whole team together same as Socrates. Which is a bit harder if you play, direct counter football with each winger wanting the ball. Why is Sterling dangerous and useless for England?

De Boer signature move is really news to me. The problem I have is that half of these players wouldn't like Jose philosophy, especially Socrates/Cantona. But, opinions and all that.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Would like to hear a bit more from @King Kendrick about the Socrates/Ballack interplay.

Like Lampard in the other game, it would be a pity if Ballack would have to do too much midfield engine/supporting role work & his goal threat wouldn't be utilized to the max (= freedom to attack the box at will + quality crosses). Would Socrates give him that freedom regularly?

Overall, there might be a bit too much #10 tendencies in that team, as not only these two, but also Cantona and Hazard like to operate in that space. And need to, to play at their best.

Jim Beam

Would like to hear a bit more from @King Kendrick about the Socrates/Ballack interplay.

Like Lampard in the other game, it would be a pity if Ballack would have to do too much midfield engine/supporting role work & his goal threat wouldn't be utilized to the max (= freedom to attack the box at will + quality crosses). Would Socrates give him that freedom regularly?

Overall, there might be a bit too much #10 tendencies in that team, as not only these two, but also Cantona and Hazard like to operate in that space. And need to, to play at their best.
Finally. What do you think in terms of Favre team? Much appreciated.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To play in false 9 in Mourinho system with Socrates behind? I would give you that he would play in this system today. But he would still drop deep, he would go in Socrates zone and try to pin the whole team together same as Socrates. Which is a bit harder if you play, direct counter football with each winger wanting the ball. Why is Sterling dangerous and useless for England?

De Boer signature move is really news to me. The problem I have is that half of these players wouldn't like Jose philosophy, especially Socrates/Cantona. But, opinions and all that.
Well the Mourinho stuff is for the manager to justify. I haven’t read an OP in yonks.

Difference for Sterling here is that England don’t have passers of the quality of Sócrates, Cantona, De Boer or Ballack to find him in space.

As for Cantona I just buy him more than most as a #9. @Polaroid played him on that role in this game and I never dissed it as it seemed a good use of his talents.