The Virgin League Draft - Physiocrat vs. harms (GROUP E)

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The other deadline I've missed. Probably would have voted for harms (again on his team's strengths, not on any issue with Physio's), wouldn't have made a difference though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Cuelemans was an 8 and Albert an AM/SS they will both tend centrally but one Albert will on average be further forward. Also having both being able to interchange is a plus in my book especially Cuelemans moving ahead of Albert gives the latter more passing options and makes it more difficult for the defenders to know what's coming.

If I had a proper 10 at RM there I could potentially see the problem but not in this case. Also if you watch the video I posted Albert floats all across the front line anyway.
That's interesting. I've always thought of Ceulemans as a #10 / #9.5. Have picked him once before in old draft and somehow that impression still stuck with me.
I’d agree with Edgar here. He was a very unconventional player, but I always saw him as a number 10 of sorts, hence his goalscoring record. Very hardworking and versatile, but still someone who mostly operated between the lines; poor man’s Gullit of sorts.

harms

Staff
A bit late. Was leaning towards harms team a bit. Don't really buy Ceulemans in this role esp with Albert. Feel both tend to drift into same areas.
The other deadline I've missed. Probably would have voted for harms (again on his team's strengths, not on any issue with Physio's), wouldn't have made a difference though.
Ffs :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Missed the deadline, was leaning towards @harms

j/k, couldn't really decide a winner here and called it a draw.

Enigma_87

You know who
Missed that. I'd genuinely only take Bessonov and Schuster from his team, and Schuster actually doesn't really fit my tactics. Probably Santamaria over Samuel if I were to try and to be objective in my drafting, but I'm not a big fan of the former. It's also a coin-toss between the keepers, but I'll understand those who'd go for Pfaff.

So yeah, we're probably very different in our assessment of a lot of players and that difference only get bigger when we go deeper into an underrated pool. I'm very happy with my team and I've picked a lot of underrated players that I think are not getting enough credit – and that seems to be true, judging by your comment :)
I'd take Pfaff, Zagallo, Schuster, Santamaria and Bessonov, slightly edging towards Crespo too(personal preference). But yes, your midfield looks better and probably won't change it even with Schuster in it. Wimmer/Netzer was a proven combo and it's nice to see them in a prominent role.

Netzer is for me better than Schuster, however the latter is more versatile and tactically more efficient for drafts. Netzer has plenty of competitive #10's/AM's/playmakers to content with and is rarely picked which is a shame.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Missed the deadline, was leaning towards @harms

j/k, couldn't really decide a winner here and called it a draw.
Not fooling anyone :nono:

Besides, I've now seen it's goalkeeper rankings, so Physio would have nicked it in a draw.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I’d agree with Edgar here. He was a very unconventional player, but I always saw him as a number 10 of sorts, hence his goalscoring record. Very hardworking and versatile, but still someone who mostly operated between the lines; poor man’s Gullit of sorts.
Yeah, that's probably fair harms although in my book I'd consider Gullit more of an 8 more than anything else. I think his best role is the furthest forward of a midfield 3 which is a position I have played Gullit many times. I reckon Gullit would work really well with Albert he in this role.

This is the best video I found for Cuelemans.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah. Tough group, probably the worst one to be in. It’s interesting, who out of our three teams got seeded as an “outsider”, I had both you and S/G in the top half of my list.
Yeah, definitely the toughest group. Now I have to deal with Pirlo.

harms

Staff
I'd take Pfaff, Zagallo, Schuster, Santamaria and Bessonov, slightly edging towards Crespo too(personal preference). But yes, your midfield looks better and probably won't change it even with Schuster in it. Wimmer/Netzer was a proven combo and it's nice to see them in a prominent role.

Netzer is for me better than Schuster, however the latter is more versatile and tactically more efficient for drafts. Netzer has plenty of competitive #10's/AM's/playmakers to content with and is rarely picked which is a shame.
That’s fair – hence why I specified that it’s my preference. I would need a more attacking option on the left since my midfield is more defensive-minded. Schuster is certainly a more convenient pick as you can put him behind a GOAT 10 or even on the right wing in a free role if you’re using an earlier version.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Be great if all 3 of you win 1 game each. Hoping at least 1 group throws that scenario.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As for best players. If I was harms I would only take Pfaff, Santamaria and Bessonov from my side playing his tactics. Krankl is a more mobile forward and better suited to two wing forwards than Crespo. Also Reus is a better goal threat than Zagallo so would keep Reus in his system.

Playing my tactics I'd just take Belo and Pavoni. I need a proper DM for my side to work. That said I'd like to Cuelemans as the furthest forward of a midfield three with Netzer a bit deeper and a proper DM so I reckon harms should take Petit too and shake up his midfield setup.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah. Tough group, probably the worst one to be in. It’s interesting, who out of our three teams got seeded as an “outsider”, I had both you and S/G in the top half of my list.
Same here with you and physio.

harms

Staff
Yeah, that's probably fair harms although in my book I'd consider Gullit more of an 8 more than anything else. I think his best role is the furthest forward of a midfield 3 which is a position I have played Gullit many times. I reckon Gullit would work really well with Albert he in this role.

This is the best video I found for Cuelemans.

Again, fair enough, but for me Gullit’s best role is a free-roaming attacking midfielder – ideally next to van Basten, like he had played for Sacchi’s 4-4-2 Milan our for Netherlands in 1988, which was also an interpretation of a 4-4-2 (I actually think that he was their MVP in that tournament despite Van Basten’s goalscoring heroics). In drafts he is often used (by me as well) as a right winger or as a midfielder, as there are too many GOAT-ish number 10s/supporting strikers and Gullit is one of the few all-time great players that can be moved around with ease... but if we’re talking about his best position, for me there’s no argument.

Ceulemans is very similar. And the pinnacle of his career would be the 1980 Euros (considering his performance and the level of opposition) – Belgium had played a 4-4-2 with Van Moer ( :drool: ) and Vandereycken in the middle and Ceulemans in a free attacking role next to van der Elst. He was incredible – combining his very impressive physique with good technique and great understanding of the game, and Gullit is possibly the only player that did the same job in a similar fashion (at a higher level, but still).

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Again, fair enough, but for me Gullit’s best role is a free-roaming attacking midfielder – ideally next to van Basten, like he had played for Sacchi’s 4-4-2 Milan our for Netherlands in 1988, which was also an interpretation of a 4-4-2 (I actually think that he was their MVP in that tournament despite Van Basten’s goalscoring heroics). In drafts he is often used (by me as well) as a right winger or as a midfielder, as there are too many GOAT-ish number 10s/supporting strikers and Gullit is one of the few all-time great players that can be moved around with ease... but if we’re talking about his best position, for me there’s no argument.

Ceulemans is very similar. And the pinnacle of his career would be the 1980 Euros (considering his performance and the level of opposition) – Belgium had played a 4-4-2 with Van Moer ( :drool: ) and Vandereycken in the middle and Ceulemans in a free attacking role next to van der Elst. He was incredible – combining his very impressive physique with good technique and great understanding of the game, and Gullit is possibly the only player that did the same job in a similar fashion (at a higher level, but still).
One of the reasons I would always like Gullit that bit deeper is because his goalscoring record was never the best in Serie A barring one season, it also allows him to get more involved in build up which he was better at than goalscoring barring his obviously incredible heading ability.

Also I'd like someone more classically creative ahead of Gullit too which is why I'd tend away from him at a 10 position.

I understand your position and it makes sense, I think it possibly comes down to my possibly idiosyncratic approach to team construction. In fact the Gullit comparison has actually made me more confident of Ceulemans in this role.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Whoa there, cowboy! Never seen that line of thought before; is it a shared view round these parts?

There was a reason why harms took Netzer as a top-end first round pick despite having basically a veritable smorgasbord of the cream of the crop to choose from.

Schuster should always get his props, but Netzer is seen as a genius, to both the positive and negative with regards to talent verses ego/personality. Netzer is perhaps having a World Cup as good as his Euros from being in the Platini/Zico tier as most discussions used to go. Not sure the same can be said of Schuster by any metric, as good as he was.

I suppose a curiosity for me round these parts is having no real clue of the established order and regard players outside the set few sit in their respective positional lexicons, have. Other places, some guys barely rated here are basically gods, so the contrasts do take some getting used to!
No, if the recent vote on midfield playmakers is a good barometer a firm majority rated Netzer higher than Schuster. I haven't been voting in those polls simply as I flip-flop too often and this Schuster/Netzer thing may well be a case in point. The last few times I've watched Netzer (Real Madrid matches that I was watching for Pirri) I found him quite prone to drifting out of games and trying for the spectacular, low percentage pass a tad too often, whereas I've been a huge Schuster fan for years, with his graft and industry even in his later career generally really impressing me.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Better late than never:

I think harms has created a perfect environment for Netzer. You'd want the directness, movement and technical ability of Reus/Chislenko and Wimmer around him, and a defensive strategist like Sousa to play behind them. Krankl looks the part as a scorer and mobile striker. Belodedici & Sousa accompany Netzer in buildup, and Schumacher is a great GK for a proactive style, which this team would inevitably adopt.

Glad to see Wimmer playing a prominent role in a draft, he looked quite spectacular in the games I've seen. Among the fastest players I know, really good dribbler (no joke), smart link-up player, tireless runner & worker. Often attacks as a winger (at least from what I've seen for Germany), which gives Reus and Chislenko lots of opportunity to roam and move inside. Can be a bit rash and chaotic in his movement, but that also makes him unpredictable - Sousa can balance him out when needed.

Will look out to catch the next game, at least.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Better late than never:

I think harms has created a perfect environment for Netzer. You'd want the directness, movement and technical ability of Reus/Chislenko and Wimmer around him, and a defensive strategist like Sousa to play behind them. Krankl looks the part as a scorer and mobile striker. Belodedici & Sousa accompany Netzer in buildup, and Schumacher is a great GK for a proactive style, which this team would inevitably adopt.

Glad to see Wimmer playing a prominent role in a draft, he looked quite spectacular in the games I've seen. Among the fastest players I know, really good dribbler (no joke), smart link-up player, tireless runner & worker. Often attacks as a winger (at least from what I've seen for Germany), which gives Reus and Chislenko lots of opportunity to roam and move inside. Can be a bit rash and chaotic in his movement, but that also makes him unpredictable - Sousa can balance him out when needed.

Will look out to catch the next game, at least.
This post alone makes the drafting worth it, this is basically a summary of all of my original intentions.

harms

Staff
I think I need to watch a couple more full games of Netzer where he was great. The one we watched in Dead Drafters thread didn't really convince me.
Which one was that? Against England? Any game from 1972 Euros is a good place to start.

harms

Staff
Yeah, FIFA straight-away blocked the first all-touch compilation. I'll see how the appeal go, but I don't have high hopes about it, so perhaps you'll have to wait until the final video would come out :(

harms

Staff
How does FIFA find out? By naming conventions? If you named the video Gun-Netz cuisine or something like that, would that help?
Of course not :) It's XXI century – YouTube automatically checks your video against their own database of copyrighted video and alerts the owner if it finds similar content.

Enigma_87

You know who
Of course not :) It's XXI century – YouTube automatically checks your video against their own database of copyrighted video and alerts the owner if it finds similar content.
have you tried removing the commentary?

harms

Staff
have you tried removing the commentary?
Oh, I know exactly which bit is the problem. You'd have to either cut it out or heavily, heavily edit it, but I'm going to try and go through the copyright law loophole.