The Virgin League Draft - QF1 - GodShaveTheQueen vs. Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
GodShaveTheQueen..................................................................................................Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam
..........VS...........

Team GodShaveTheQueen

Formation :
4-2-3-1

Playing style : Attacking

I am not going to be speaking too much on my team because its a boring 4-2-3-1 with really obvious roles.
So I will just add my thoughts on a couple of things which I think will be major talking points in the game.

Doubling up on the wings

1. I expect the opposition to start with a 4 man defense. Marcelo on the left and Tassoti on the right
2. We will have a strong emphasis on overloading the opposition fullbacks with numbers (2 v 1).
3. I expect Francescoli to start as the left wing forward and Kubala as the right wing forward. I don't think either of them would be of much help for their full back off the ball.
4. In the midfield, I expect Cambiasso, Liedholm and Schuster to start. While Cambiasso can't even think about leaving the midfield, I don't think either of Liedholm and Schuster would be of much help to the fullback as well.
5. I dont see a good way for the opposition to deal with the constant 2 v 1 situations

Dropping the Round 1 marquee player - A drafts first?

1. The idea behind dropping Hamrin for Littbarski was three folds.
2. First, the left flank of the opposition deserves some respect. Marcelo and Francescoli can cause the same 2 vs 1 situations for Benarrivo.
3. While I rate Benarrivo really high defensively, having a hardworking winger like Littbarski ahead of him who could track Marcelo's forays forward reliably would neutralize the opponents strongest attacking asset quite well.
4. Secondly, Littbarski would also be a really difficult player for Marcelo to handle with his trickery and dribbling. So he really enhances both the attacking and defensive side of things in this particular match.
5. And thirdly, he could also add numbers in midfield when necessary which might be very crucial in a game against a very technical midfield
6. As far as I am concerned, Littbarski has the meatiest of roles here and if I had to predict someone to be the man of the match in this game, it would be him.

Team Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam

Formation
: 4-3-3, attacking

Tactics: prepare for a Scrappy affair

In his last ever draft appearance Beam (and the Irish drunkin poet) are going against the man who was the brain behind all his previous success. "Don't put Giresse you crazy feck, it is a certain loss, put Beckenbauer in the midfield"..... "Go for Cruyff on the left with the freedom to drift all around!" Thank you master Yoda, they all thought I was that smart.

It will be a hardworking and full of flair unit. Why should we win? You can stop one conductor, but there are two playing in this band. With, no offense taken, the best attack that never won anything (Enzo - Larsson - Kubala). Liedholm, Schuster, Francescoli, Kubala, Larsson. It is so good that it should be under Brazzers membership section.

Let's go Scrappy...

Good luck @GodShaveTheQueen @Pat_Mustard @Jim Beam

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I expect Francescoli to start as the left wing forward and Kubala as the right wing forward. I don't think either of them would be of much help for their full back off the ball.
You know what I expect? That the only real criticism about our team goes on the right (you got it right we wanted Bessonov) and lack of width. Francescoli won't help? The way I see it you are fecked from behind (Koeman), you don't have any reasonable thinking that Liedholm, Schuster won't take the midfield and as a consequence you're fecked upfront.

Nice team though.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
You know what I expect? That the only real criticism about our team goes on the right (you got it right we wanted Bessonov) and lack of width
You didn't like the criticisms in either of your last 2 games as well and yet made the same corrections everyone pointed out with what you called ridiculous comments. Balanced the midfield, put Liedholm in a midfield 3 and made the defense finally functional by reducing one attacker. I am sure given another round of reinforcements, you'd work on the rest of the ridiculous criticisms as well :)

I do agree with you on the lack of width though. Kubala really was an inside forward and in the modern game, should always be played with a wingback if on right.

Francescoli won't help?
I don't think he will track back till the full back position to help with 2 vs 1 situations. It would be foolish to ask him to do that anyways as it wastes Koeman's long passes on the counters.

you don't have any reasonable thinking that Liedholm, Schuster won't take the midfield and as a consequence you're fecked upfront
I don't think so. Bremner is the best midfielder off the ball on the pitch. Blanchflower was way more than just a deep lying playmaker. Was defensively sound and put a proper shift in. His 2 FA Cup final compilations are on YouTube for anyone to checkout. And then there is Littbarski who will contribute to keep the numbers up.

I won't go as far as saying it's a one way midfield battle in either direction, but I don't think either one is over powering the other. If anything, I think Cambiasso will have a really tough time against Sivori. Wasn't a holding midfielder anyways.

GodShaveTheQueen

I don't think so. Bremner is the best midfielder off the ball on the pitch. Blanchflower was way more than just a deep lying playmaker. Was defensively sound and put a proper shift in. His 2 FA Cup final compilations are on YouTube for anyone to checkout. And then there is Littbarski who will contribute to keep the numbers up
Just to add, Sivori himself was a really physical player and put in a decent shift off the ball as well. People who have watched him beyond YouTube compilations probably will agree. Think @harms has watched him enough, so he can correct me if I am wrong.

GodShaveTheQueen

Well done, glad it was pointed to you.
I didn't point it in my OP because -

1. You have Koeman and he needs covering too. So it's forgivable to put a Tassoti there.
2. You have Schuster who can drift out if needed. Not ideal, but better than just Kubala out wide.
3. Someone who could stay out constantly would have been a much better fit than Kubala. A Finney perhaps. You can pick him up in the reinforcements if the game does lead you there :)

Jim Beam

You didn't like the criticisms in either of your last 2 games as well and yet made the same corrections everyone pointed out with what you called ridiculous comments. Balanced the midfield, put Liedholm in a midfield 3 and made the defense finally functional by reducing one attacker. I am sure given another round of reinforcements, you'd work on the rest of the ridiculous criticisms as well :)
Because for some reason you are overcomplicated it. My ridiculous comments? Give me a feckin break and sell it to someone else.

Koeman can't work in a back 3 because it is not the near same as Barcelona back 3.

Who will press him? Fontaine or you with these nonsense.

Jim Beam

And we can keep this tone for another 24 hours. On the paper you looked ok.

But, this is a walkover.

GodShaveTheQueen

So, one will press and another won't?
Yes, one is sufficient IMO. Koeman wasn't that agile to need a whole pressing front 4. I'd expect Sivori and Littbarski to help off the ball against Koeman and Marcelo respectively.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just to add, Sivori himself was a really physical player and put in a decent shift off the ball as well. People who have watched him beyond YouTube compilations probably will agree. Think @harms has watched him enough, so he can correct me if I am wrong.
Not sure if physical is the word, but he was definitely a feisty one, Maradona-esque in that regard.

GodShaveTheQueen

You didn't watch feckin none :lol:
If you say so. The game was discussed recently in the match compilations thread when harms created a match compilation of Di Stefano.

The star studded lineup was too good to give the game a pass.

A God amongst men, really. And that's with Fontaine, Luis Suarez & Kubala on the pitch!

Absolute treat to watch!

Definitely building that Di Stefano inside left and Kubala inside right setup in some draft. Looked like they had some really good chemistry.

@Zlatan 7 , you'll enjoy watching this.

GodShaveTheQueen

Not sure if physical is the word, but he was definitely a feisty one, Maradona-esque in that regard.
I remember discussing his lunging into aerial battles as well with maybe you after watching some game. Maybe it was with someone else.

He did have good physical strength though. Used his body quite well to keep the ball.

Jim Beam

Yeah, but am calling your bullshit about watching him the whole game.

You didn't, so say so.

He was quite lean.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I remember discussing his lunging into aerial battles as well with maybe you after watching some game. Maybe it was with someone else.

He did have good physical strength though. Used his body quite well to keep the ball.
Well, as I've said, he was very aggressive and it worked quite well for his size – just as Maradona did (Hand of God being the prime example). I wouldn't expect for him to dominate the air a la Seeler, but he's going to be noticeable.

Jim Beam

Guess that was as good a first exchange as any. Will check back later.
After you watch a full game of your old timers?

Aye, lovely barrage. Always pleasure working with you. :)

Zero ball playing abilities, zero. No control of midfield, less work rate and scrappy counter. He didn't put that in tactics, am just expanding.

Edit: am calling bullshit on that one, he has Bratseth

Last edited:

Himannv

Chagas tends to drift centrally far too often for my liking and a winger who can position himself on the touchline there will always be in with a chance on the counter. Kubala is an inside forward though so I'm not sure if he's the right fit there. I suppose he's clever enough to eventually exploit that.

GodShaveTheQueen

Chagas tends to drift centrally far too often for my liking and a winger who can position himself on the touchline there will always be in with a chance on the counter. Kubala is an inside forward though so I'm not sure if he's the right fit there.
Firstly on Chagas, I had this impression of him for a long while but the more I watched him, he seemed to stay out wide more often. In fact great with the overlaps as well unlike say Junior. Not to say he didn’t cut in at times, but it wasn’t as often as Junior.

Secondly, only one full back will be attacking at once. So we will always have 3 at the back. Germany was placed on the left because he has beaten Kubala’s Barcelona in a European Cup final. If you get the balance of full backs right, it’s not a problem because it doesn’t make sense to say you can never play Chagas against a touch line hugging winger.

And finally, Kubala was hardly a touch line hugger. Will almost always move centrally towards Germano. That plays right into how I have setup.

Jim Beam

Firstly on Chagas, I had this impression of him for a long while but the more I watched him, he seemed to stay out wide more often.
You also claimed that Leandro is a great defender.

And putting Enzo there. Look at this, if this was Marcelo he would considered liability forever.

GodShaveTheQueen

You also claimed that Leandro is a great defender.

And putting Enzo there. Look at this, if this was Marcelo he would considered liability forever.

Beckenbauer conceded 6 in a game too. Everyone has shit games once in a while.

And that 1983 Brazil side in CA was just meh. Look at the finals lineup. None of the magic square in midfield.

Brazil
GK1Leão
DF2Leandro
DF3Márcio
DF4Mozer
DF6Júnior
MF16China60'
MF11Jorginho
MF17Renato Frederico
FW7Renato Gaúcho
FW9Roberto Dinamite
FW19Éder
Substitutions:
MF10Tita60'
Manager:
Parreira

Jim Beam

Beckenbauer conceded 6 in a game too. Everyone has shit games once in a while.

And that 1983 Brazil side in CA was just meh. Look at the finals lineup. None of the magic square in midfield.
And that Uruguay was a fecking bomb!!!

Come on, first he can't defend against such agile players (it is not like you are having in his team ffs).

GodShaveTheQueen

And that Uruguay was a fecking bomb!!!

Come on, first he can't defend against such agile players (it is not like you are having in his team ffs).
He was pretty agile himself. I probably need to watch him more since you do sound confident enough to have watched him a lot.

Jim Beam

He was pretty agile himself. I probably need to watch him more since you do sound confident enough to have watched him a lot.
He was shit in that game I can guarantee you that. I mean look at some of that defending?

But you wrote a feckin bible how he can hold his own and props to you. In my mind if you spend so much time about anything (pretty sure by the end you were convinced he was competent too) you absolutely deserve it.

But.... and now hold your breath. Marcelo was Maldini for him.

Himannv

Firstly on Chagas, I had this impression of him for a long while but the more I watched him, he seemed to stay out wide more often. In fact great with the overlaps as well unlike say Junior. Not to say he didn’t cut in at times, but it wasn’t as often as Junior.

Secondly, only one full back will be attacking at once. So we will always have 3 at the back. Germany was placed on the left because he has beaten Kubala’s Barcelona in a European Cup final. If you get the balance of full backs right, it’s not a problem because it doesn’t make sense to say you can never play Chagas against a touch line hugging winger.

And finally, Kubala was hardly a touch line hugger. Will almost always move centrally towards Germano. That plays right into how I have setup.
I can't compare him with Junior as I haven't watched enough of Junior to come to such a conclusion. But from what I saw of Chagas he cut in almost 70% of the time in the games I watched. I'm not saying that's a bad thing as it helps from a midfield creativity perspective, but it comes down to whether that suits your tactics or not. I considered picking him for a while actually, hence the research, but I was thrown off as he didn't quite fit into the tactics I wanted to try out.

Having said all that, I agree somewhat regarding Kubala, but he's an intelligent player enough to exploit that gap on a counter. However, the lack of a fullback who can also bomb forward and put more pressure on that flank is a bit of a problem for Beanie. I think if he had a fullback who attacks more on that flank, there'll be problems. Bessonov, as mentioned earlier somewhere, would have been a nice fit.

How exactly do you see this game playing out? My initial view was you'll look to hit him on the counter, but you seem to want to go toe-to-toe with him on attack and I think that doesn't quite work considering the way the opposition has set up and the personnel you have.

On another note, I totally buy your points on Littbarski. I've been watching him a bit ever since you commented on him in my game. Very good player.

GodShaveTheQueen

Having said all that, I agree somewhat regarding Kubala, but he's an intelligent player enough to exploit that gap on a counter. However, the lack of a fullback who can also bomb forward and put more pressure on that flank is a bit of a problem for Beanie. I think if he had a fullback who attacks more on that flank, there'll be problems. Bessonov, as mentioned earlier somewhere, would have been a nice fit.
Chagas wouldn't have started if they got Bessonov. I would have started Benarrivo on left and Jusufi on the right. I agree if it was Kubala and Bessonov or even TAA, I would have had reasons to worry on that flank with Chagas.

How exactly do you see this game playing out? My initial view was you'll look to hit him on the counter, but you seem to want to go toe-to-toe with him on attack and I think that doesn't quite work considering the way the opposition has set up and the personnel you have.
Pointless picking a master like Sivori and playing on the counter, especially in a 4-2-3-1.

My idea of attacking here is to quickly get the ball into the final 3rd. We obviously won't try to hold onto possession for ages, if I wanted to do that, I'd have started Socrates.

I think it's better to go toe to toe against a team setup to attack like this. If you sit back and give them the chance to dominate, that IMO would play into their hands.

Instead, I'd want to attack their weaknesses. 2 vs 1 on the flanks for which I see no answer, then targetting Cambiasso who wasn't exactly a holder. Even keeping Koeman and Marcelo out, the rest of it is also hardly a defense that can keep so much attacking impetus out. This draft just doesn't have as many top notch defenders.

On another note, I totally buy your points on Littbarski. I've been watching him a bit ever since you commented on him in my game. Very good player.
Yea, was a really easy call to drop Hamrin for this particular game.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

And Jusufi was best at? :lol:

I will put all modern players in the next draft after this shit.
I have gotten tired of your tone since the start of the game. Tried to put up with it for a while, but its honestly tiring now.

I am sure its all in good fun in your eyes but I am done debating, best to leave this to voting. Probably don't have that good a sense of humor, sorry.