The Virgin League Draft - SF1 - BIG DUNK vs. Šjor Bepo & Gio

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
BIG DUNK...........................................................................................................................Šjor Bepo & Gio
..........VS...........

Team BIG DUNK

PLAYING STYLE
:

A counter attacking 4-3-3, built upon an assured defensive spine, creative heart and lethal attack. Compact and solid when defending, but looking to the wings when we attack. Our wingforwards will cut in, allowing the fullbacks to overlap and provide additional width and attacking support. A complete midfield trio, able to break up play, recycle possession and execute quick direct attacks given the game tempo or circumstance. A front three who will thrive playing ahead of my creative genius, Netzer, whose perception of space is unrivalled, we will aim to stretch our opponent's back line, penetrate spaces and pull defenders out of position: our movement will encourage direct vertical attacks, overlapping, underlapping, shooting from range, cutting in from the wings and late runs in to the box.

DEFENDING (a solid tenacious platform to break up play and deny space):

In the heart of my defence is Roberto Perfumo, regarded as Argentina’s greatest pure defender. His partner in crime is my stopper-centreback Guido Buchwald, one of the toughest man-markers of his era and all-time. His most notable defensive performance being his efficient marking job of Diego Maradona in the 1990 FIFA World Cup final. At the base of midfield is Luis Fernandez, a tactically superb defensive midfielder, while still possessing the technical skills of a playmaker, and the raw energy and bite of a box-to-box dynamo. Luis Fernandez brings a combative element to the team, adding more balance, power, shape and workrate. Alongside Benetti and Netzer, Luis Fernandez will boss the game. He will add steel to the back four: covering spaces from our attacking fullbacks, doubling up on attackers and breaking up play. His industry and bite made him a prototype DM, a model midfielder and a vital midfield general. He is crucial in freeing up space for Benetti and Netzer to move forward and work the space. My box-to-box midfield enforcer role belongs to Romeo Benetti. "Nicknamed Panzer (tank), El Tigre (the tiger), and the Roccia (rock), Benetti was a tenacious, mobile, athletic, and complete midfielder, who was known in particular for his physical strength, stamina, charisma, determination, consistency, and leadership as footballer. His hard-tackling style of play in this role epitomised the catenaccio tactics made famous by Italy during the 1970s." My two fulbacks are solid defensively. At right back is Vladimir Bessonov, a complete fullback who dominated the right flank in the 1980s, whose endless stamina will be useful here. Bessonov showed excellent positioning and tackling throughout his career to match his passing and match engine, allowing him to play centrally too (in defence and midfield). Irwin was a very competent and consistent defender you could rely on to complete a marking job, compete against a quick winger or step up against a physical one-on-one. Luis Fernandez and Benetti's expert positioning and ferocious defensive cover allow both Bessonov and Irwin the licence to attack down their respective wings. In goal is the greatest goalkeeper of all time, Lev Yashin. The Ballon d’Or winner will be a vital piece in how I want my team to play. "Yashin revolutionised the role of goalkeeper like no other before him, by always being ready to act as an extra defender and by starting dangerous counter-attacks with his positioning and quick throws.”

PLAYMAKING (a team brimming with vision and creative outlets):

Günter Netzer is Germany's greatest ever playmaker, the ultimate creative weapon in this draft to find space for my attackers and fullbacks, "able to spray long, hard passes all over the pitch with devastating accuracy, causing panic in the opposition". Netzer can spring counter attacks from deep (finding both Klinsmann, Heynckes and Bene), stretching play to the wings (Irwin and Bessonov), or help retain possession with his accurate ball distribution (aided by midfield enforcers Benetti and Luis Fernandez). Netzer's chemistry and telepathetic understanding with Heynckes' movement is deadly. Netzer's one-two's with Benetti and Luis Fernandez in the centre of the park will be a delight to watch too. Netzer will be called upon to execute inch perfect thoughballs to my two wingforwards Heynckes and Bene who'll be drifting off the wing, cutting into half spaces and running into the opponent's box. Heynckes and Bene are not just prolific goalscorers, they were highly involved in build up play too. Bene will be encouraged to dribble. Luis Fernandez also possessed a delightful touch, accurate passing and a panoramic vision in reading the game, influential in connecting the defence to the attack. "Romeo Benetti possessed good technique and distribution, which enabled him to function as a deep-lying playmaker at times, and start attacking plays and create goalscoring opportunities after winning back the ball." Additional support and passing comes from the wings through our fullbacks Bessonov and Irwin. Irwin was a very valuable force on the left wing for Manchester United, dovetailing perfectly with his winger, central midfielders and strikers. Mr.Consistent will provide width, high workrate and accurate deliveries from the wing, overlapping Heynckes. Bessonov also provides accurate delivery from the wing, famous for his powerful charges, incisive runs and ability to play infield, which will complement both Benetti's and Bene's movement. Vladimir Bessonov was an attack-minded fullback whose complete attributes make him effective as a supporting player all along the flank (as fullback, wingback or winger).

GOALSCORING (lethal one-on-one, intelligent movement, pace and space penetration):

Our three-pronged attack is potent, creative and fluid. On the left, one of the finest wing forwards of all time, Jupp Heynckes. 'Jupp' was a complete forward: versatile (able to play on either wing, central or in a withdrawn role, cut in from the flank, get in behind or work the channels), deadly on the counter (possessing pace and deadly one-on-one with a goalkeeper), predator in the box (his reactions, positioning and goalscoring instincts were world-class, matched by his excellent striking technique and ability with both feet and head), creative (enjoyed being part of the build up), his movement and workrate were highly valued (his intelligent movement on and off the ball made him a headache for defenders). Between 1972 and 1975 he recorded Gerd Muller-esque numbers, scoring 130 goals in 139 games. Prolific. A technically brilliant forward, Ferenc Bene was deadly on the right wing or centrally. A skilled dribbler who was just as likely to bamboozle a fullback with his feints, agile turns and tricks or lose his marker in the box with a perfectly timed run. A prolific goalscorer who was undoubtedly one of the most feared forwards/outside rights in the mid to late 60s and early 70s. Our prolific striker is Jürgen Klinsmann, a big-game clinical finisher who was a nightmare to mark as his goalscoring instincts made him always be in the right place at the right time. His technical finishing (with either foot or in the air) were truly worldclass. Klinsmann will undoubtedly benefit from the creative talents around him, while still being good on the ball and mobile himself, combining well with other strikers/forwards, always fighting/working across the whole attacking third. Klinsmann always finds a way! Despite being a predominately defensive-minded player, Romeo Benetti was also known for his goal-scoring ability from midfield, due to his powerful and accurate striking ability from distance. Netzer was gifted with superb dead-ball skills, he was a wonderful striker of the ball from distance and clinical in the box when finishing off a pass-and-move play. Even my pair of fullbacks, Irwin and Bessonov, were known for their goalscoring ability. Irwin was not just clinical at setpieces, but when he found himself in the box he possessed the composure to finish, and from distance he could rifle in a crisp right-footed missile. Bessonov possessed a powerful shot that makes him yet another long-range threat. Heynckes, Klinsmann and Bene are three of the hardest players to mark, due to their excellent movement, intelligent positioning and predatory instinct. We hope to pull defenders out of position, wide and centrally, creating gaps and spaces for eachother and between the opponent's defensive line (and maximising Netzer's ability to bombard these spaces). Moreover, our opponent’s fullbacks will need to second guess themselves when attacking higher up the field and leaving spaces behind on the flanks.

Team Šjor Bepo & Gio

DEFENCE

Led by Carlos Mozer who became the defensive bedrock for 3 of the best teams of the 1980s: the world-conquering Flamengo side, as well as serial European Cup finalists Benfica and Marseille. He will be the athletic ball-playing sweeper next to 'the wall' Jose Santamaria who is perhaps the most decorated and widely respected defender in the pool, proving his worth for the solid Uruguay side of the early 1950s and often a one-man band at the back for Europe-dominating Real Madrid. Behind him Walter Zenga completes a rock-solid core. With Mozer reprising his left-hand-side covering role from OM, fellow Brazilian Marcelo joins off the back of heavily influencing 4 Champions League titles. Supporting on the other flank is the all-rounder Willy Sagnol.

MIDFIELD

The midfield is built around Andrea Pirlo so pivotal as the creative force behind Milan, Juventus and Italy. His Europe and world-beating partnership with Gattuso gains an upgrade in the ultimate midfield dynamo and hound-dog in N'Golo Kante. Bringing goal threat, passing range, ball-carrying and loads of hustle is Paul Gascoigne who was simply unplayable for much of his peak 3-year period.

ATTACK
Nandor Hidegkuti
is the centrepoint of the attack: injecting goals (39 in 69 for Hungary, over 300 in his career), creativity (bazillions of assists), and'intelligence 'fine technique and tactical guile' [Sebes]. Racing from the right is Kylian Mbappe whose 3-year peak is starting to look ridiculously stacked (a goals+assists to games ratio of 1:1 and rising in L1 and CL, and a World Cup capped off by that R9-esque demolition of Argentina). The attack is refined with the introduction of Thomas Muller on the left. His CR7-styled goalscoring and movement alongside his Bayern-honed presence and tactical intelligence should perfectly complement both Marcelo on his outside and Hidegkuti and Mpabbe inside him.

KEY POINTS
  • Strong midfield trio with arguably the most effective deep-lying playmaker and ball-winner in the pool. Clearly defined roles for Pirlo and Hidegkuti that should bring the best out of both players.
  • Robust resistance against Big Dunk's main threats. In midfield Netzer will face a tough time against Duracell bunny Kante and the Mattthaus-stopping Gascoigne. Up top Bergkamp's clever movement is potentially well read by the dual sweeper/stopper backgrounds of Santamaria and Mozer. Meanwhile, Sagnol has the pace to match up to Heynckes (having kept tabs on the winger version of Cristiano in the 2006 WC semi-final). A reinforced left flank should provide the complementary off-the-ball coverage through Muller and the sheer class on the ball expressed by Marcelo.
  • Potent and fluid front three based around the original false 9 Hidegkuti, flanked by the full-back eviscerating Mpabbe and the raumdeuter Muller. Mpabbe's speed and trickery will pose plenty of problems while Muller's ghosting movement should be fed by Hidegkuti's selfless creativity. Both Pirlo and Gascoigne have the passing range and vision to release the trio early on the break.

Good luck @BIG DUNK @Šjor Bepo @Gio!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Müller on the left? Has he even played there permanently? I certainly would've switched him and Mbappé.

Something feels off about him and Hidegkuti though, not sure if I like him here as a Reus upgrade. He was at his best raumdeutering behind a number 9 like Mandzukic/Gomez/Lewandowski – Hidegkuti will drop to the exact same space that Müller likes to utilise instead of pushing center backs deeper and creating gaps of space there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
New signings

Adding Marcelo to this team was really a no brainer, when probably the best offensive fullback ever becames available you don't ask twice. Formation stays the same, tactics are fairly similar but he completely transformed the dynamics of this team. With him on the left it will allow Gazza to stay in central zones in possession periods which will ensure that the team has more control and will put Gazza in better place when it comes to defensive transition.

Who ever watched him and I guess we all watched him doesn't need an introduction to what he brings to the team. Is often seen as a defensive liability but we feel its a bit overblown. But to be safe and to free him as much as we could, we decided to provide him as much of protection as you can get.
  • Next to him is an absolute freak of nature, one of the most physical and athletic sweepers in history of the game - Carlos Mozer
  • Best playmaker in the pool, while not a great ball-winner he is solid enough and more importantly will ensure the team is control of the game - we present - Andrea Pirlo
  • Midfield dynamo, energetic lunatic that will leave his heart on the pitch for the team. Defensively good and tactically very disciplined - Paul Gascoigne
  • Last but not least, directly in front of him we added even more protection - Thomas Muller
Speaking of Muller, we expect the questions to be raised about his position on the left so the best is we address it from the start. He played there few times but even if he didn't, we feel comfortable placing him there. Essentially he will defend the left flank and will be used as a shield to Marcelo. That part of the game should not be open to debate. If you are able to defend one flank, you are able to do the job on the other and he showcased that often when playing in the middle as a striker or as a SS.

While in possession he will have Marcelo on the left so with that in mind he has all the freedom to do what he does best - roam around. Creating space for others, bringing them to play, insane end product (goals and assists). Not the most attractive player but a wet dream of any manager.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
My vote doesn’t count obviously, just voted to see the score.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Something feels off about him and Hidegkuti though, not sure if I like him here as a Reus upgrade. He was at his best raumdeutering behind a number 9 like Mandzukic/Gomez/Lewandowski – Hidegkuti will drop to the exact same space that Müller likes to utilise instead of pushing center backs deeper and creating gaps of space there.
I agree that Muller performs well and has done a lot of his best work next to a physical centre-forward. In fairness he has also shone in forward lines where he has been the most physical player. For example, in the 4-0 Portugal game above he runs the show alongside Ozil and Gotze and is up against a brutally grizzly centre-half pairing of Pepe and Bruno Alves. En route to Germany winning the 2014 World Cup he is the most physical player in the attack in 4 of the 7 games. And I recall a few months later Germany coming to Hampden and edging us 3-2, with Muller part of a fluid front line with Ozil and Gotze again, scoring twice and assisting the winner, the cnut. And even at Bayern (who love a physical attack) he's shown his worth in such a system, for instance away to Man City in the 2013/14 Champions League next to Ribery and Robben, when they won 3-1 and he was man of the match.

I suppose the bottom line for me is that he's performed to a world class standard next to both target men and lightweight link men. And generally the most important tactical feature of any front line is the ability for him to roam beyond and across another forward. In Hidegkuti, who himself was used to serving Puskas, Kocsis and even Czibor in the same central channels and in a similar manner, he has a partner who can enable him to do just that.

BIG DUNK

Tank
- I have problems with the balance of our opponent’s midfield (I don’t see Gazza-Kante-Hidegkuti as the most suitable unit to maximise Pirlo’s game: the offensive creativity/marauding drifting is not matched by enough defensive industry to balance out). I.e if we think of the great Milan/Juve/Azzurri teams, Pirlo had arguably more protection/runners/defensive workrate alongside him, and behind him. I see only Kante being able to fulfil this role. Gazza in a 442 central midfield could work as he had two balanced side midfielders and a more defensive central midfielder next to him. He doesn’t have that balance here or full attacking licence to make those marauding runs.

In midfield I feel we have the bodies, physical edge and much needed balance to get the best out of our playmaker, Günter Netzer: Luis Fernandez and Benetti are both fearsome and combative. Not pretty players, but winning the tactical battle in midfield. They are willing runners, skilled passes from deep and direct driving forward. Netzer has the added quality of not just being a supplier of amazing long passes when in space, Netzer’s strong frame can dribble forward with the ball, when under high physical pressure and be a dynamic playmaker too.

- I don’t think our opponent gets the best out of Muller or Hidegkuti either. Are they surrounded by their optimum teammate roles/positions? Is Muller at his very peak a left inverted wingforward? Who is creating that space for Muller, as Hidegkuti will not be performing the role of a Bayern/Germany central #9. If Pirlo is pulling the strings, all Gazza/Hidegkuti/Muller will all be wanting to play/run into that same magical zone / space. You need a #9/wingers to occupy the defenders and create spaces for Muller. Here he’ll be the highest attacker facing my defenders /markers, where instead he should be occupying the space behind my midfield (tug of war with Hidegkuti and Gazza). Hidegkuti was more suited to playing behind more central inside forwards/strikers.

We both field a 433, both with attackers who aren’t true ‘wingers’. I feel my pair of fullbacks will be more defensively equipped to deal with their opponents. Bessonov was a very intelligent defender who could i) follow his winger closely ii) come inside to cover his centreback iii) Will not just ball watch but pick up the spaces that will prove dangerous - all key to slowing down Muller’s effectiveness. I have faith in Bene keeping Marcelo occupied all game (Marcelo, a more glorified winger-type fullback) more supremely going forward than defensively strong. In Irwin I possess the archetypal consistent two-way left back of the draft (who proved a diligent defender against every type of winger/side midfielder in the 90s: speed merchants, dribbling tricky playmakers, physical wingers). His quickness of thought and clinical execution of passes/crosses make him a solid servant down the flank. Marcelo will be pulled infield by Bene’s movement, allowing the Bessonov overlap, who doesn’t need any encouragement to support quick counter attacks. The Heynckes-Netzer movement will prove too much for Sagnol here too.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
was happy to let this go into no word moby mode but just cant not respond to what i see as complete nonsense(no offence dunky).
- I have problems with the balance of our opponent’s midfield (I don’t see Gazza-Kante-Hidegkuti as the most suitable unit to maximise Pirlo’s game: the offensive creativity/marauding drifting is not matched by enough defensive industry to balance out). I.e if we think of the great Milan/Juve/Azzurri teams, Pirlo had arguably more protection/runners/defensive workrate alongside him, and behind him. I see only Kante being able to fulfil this role. Gazza in a 442 central midfield could work as he had two balanced side midfielders and a more defensive central midfielder next to him. He doesn’t have that balance here or full attacking licence to make those marauding runs.

Pirlo has more defensive runners here then anywhere he ever played.
First of all, Kante running and ball winning is almost unmatched by anyone at his peak but as you said, he isnt the issue.
Gazza? Id love to see your argument, can post pretty much 10 match compilations for all people to see with their own eyes his workrate was insane if they didnt watch him before. You can think he is shit, he is playmaker even though he isnt, what ever you want but to watch him one game at his peak and you will never ever question his workrate, energy and heart on that pitch.
The side midfielders making it easier to play in a 2 man midfield is a new one to me, wonderful stuff. Even if by some miracle id buy that argument, it falls right down the toilet as his "wide" partner on the pitch made a career of working for the team and is probably the best defensive forward on the pitch.

In midfield I feel we have the bodies, physical edge and much needed balance to get the best out of our playmaker, Günter Netzer: Luis Fernandez and Benetti are both fearsome and combative. Not pretty players, but winning the tactical battle in midfield. They are willing runners, skilled passes from deep and direct driving forward. Netzer has the added quality of not just being a supplier of amazing long passes when in space, Netzer’s strong frame can dribble forward with the ball, when under high physical pressure and be a dynamic playmaker too.
If and when Netzer is stopped your midfield will create feck all, add to that you replaced your creative spark in attack with Jurgen fecking Klinsmann your side is finished the second Netzer is nullified, both his partners are defensive ones and not the greatest under pressure. Attack lacks the glue and Klinsmann is an awful fit for wide forwards as his all-round game was average at best and the qualities he possessed are not suited for what his attack partners need so your attacks will be disassembled to fullbacks crossing the ball in and forwards trying something individually. Both segments we are perfectly happy to defend.
As for Netzer, would be hard to stop but if any midfield can do it its this that lacks defensive spark! Kante as the ultimate ball winner and nusance, Gazza who completely nullified WC 90 Matthaus in their duel, has also multiple great games against "similar" type of players in Robbo, Gullit etc.

- I don’t think our opponent gets the best out of Muller or Hidegkuti either. Are they surrounded by their optimum teammate roles/positions? Is Muller at his very peak a left inverted wingforward? Who is creating that space for Muller, as Hidegkuti will not be performing the role of a Bayern/Germany central #9. If Pirlo is pulling the strings, all Gazza/Hidegkuti/Muller will all be wanting to play/run into that same magical zone / space. You need a #9/wingers to occupy the defenders and create spaces for Muller. Here he’ll be the highest attacker facing my defenders /markers, where instead he should be occupying the space behind my midfield (tug of war with Hidegkuti and Gazza). Hidegkuti was more suited to playing behind more central inside forwards/strikers.
Who is creating space for Muller :lol: i mean....lost of words.
As we said in the signings post, Muller has the freedom in possession to roam, while playing at CF he drifted wide left a lot as thats the nature of his game. He isnt your typical player, he can play anywhere and if you allow him the freedom to do what he does best, he will shine. He creates space for himself. Hidegkuti creates space with dropping back as well so Muller would have tons of space behind and can dance his was behind the back line.
Absolute nonsense you need a #9 to create space for Muller, if anything he would shine even more alongside a proper F9 as the movement in final third is his biggest asset and playing alongside F9 you are in being put in the best position to use that asset.

Speaking of balance of the attack.....2 wide forwards paired with a defensive striker/poacher/little prat. But hey, a forward which biggest quality is of the ball movement is a bad fit for a F9 who mastered the role of dragging players out of position and using his passing range and creativity to create havoc while on the ball as well. Not to mention how he had a great understanding with Kocsis who was fairly similar to Muller(at least for Hungary).

We both field a 433, both with attackers who aren’t true ‘wingers’. I feel my pair of fullbacks will be more defensively equipped to deal with their opponents. Bessonov was a very intelligent defender who could i) follow his winger closely ii) come inside to cover his centreback iii) Will not just ball watch but pick up the spaces that will prove dangerous - all key to slowing down Muller’s effectiveness. I have faith in Bene keeping Marcelo occupied all game (Marcelo, a more glorified winger-type fullback) more supremely going forward than defensively strong. In Irwin I possess the archetypal consistent two-way left back of the draft (who proved a diligent defender against every type of winger/side midfielder in the 90s: speed merchants, dribbling tricky playmakers, physical wingers). His quickness of thought and clinical execution of passes/crosses make him a solid servant down the flank. Marcelo will be pulled infield by Bene’s movement, allowing the Bessonov overlap, who doesn’t need any encouragement to support quick counter attacks. The Heynckes-Netzer movement will prove too much for Sagnol here too.
Mbappe is probably the best wide forward in the pool, all while playing in front of defensive fullbacks his whole career. Granted for Muller, but thats why he is paired with Marcelo who then again, is by far the best offensive fullback in the draft.
What ever damage Bene can do to Marcelo(again, in signings post we adressed the protection we gave him) be sure Marcelo would tore him apart x3 on the other side. Not seen much from Bene but somehow doubt he is the hardworking type. Even if he was, gap in quality is too big and Marcelo will end up as a winner of the duel, specially given the fact he is playing for a better team that will dominate the game.
Irwin is quality, but i seriously doubt he ever faced anything like Mbappe. PL was a bit shit back then and naturally United struggled in Europe.

Šjor Bepo

Freak of nature that is Carlos Mozer. Just insane athletic capabilities in general let alone for a sweeper. Almost a cheat mode.

Šjor Bepo

Gascoigne did not have this defensive shield around him when he played in 4-4-2s - simply because he did not need one. For England those "balanced side midfielders" were typically wingers like Chris Waddle (who he also played next to for Spurs) and John Barnes. It wasn't much different at Euro '96 when he was inside Steve McManaman on one wing and Darren Anderton on the other. Same at Rangers when one of those 'balanced side midfielders' was Brian Laudrup. One of his greatest performances for Rangers - 2 goals in a 4-3 League Cup Final win over Hearts - was in a midfield three comprised of him, Charlie Miller and Jorg Albertz - two out-and-out attacking midfielders. His defensive work - his tracking of runners, ball-winning, physical strength - is criminally under-appreciated at times.

Šjor Bepo

I did the same. Apologies if only people participating should vote.
you can vote if you want, also free to change your vote if you think the other team will win

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Gazza? Id love to see your argument, can post pretty much 10 match compilations for all people to see with their own eyes his workrate was insane if they didnt watch him before.
Do so, your 25 minutes comp certainly opened my eyes :drool:

Jack-C20

you can vote if you want, also free to change your vote if you think the other team will win
Admittedly there’s players there who I don’t even recognise so I voted on the players I did. It really was more of a vote to see how things were going. I’d feel awful if it ended close and I’d swayed it :lol:

Šjor Bepo

Won the Ligue 1 against PSG! Went there, naturally dominated with them as well, produced multiple shows in CL, lead his team into the Final this year and lets not forget his World Cup, probably the best offensive performance from a player since Fenomeno in France.

The fact people are slating his CL final performance like absolute morons tells you how high he already is. Barely patched up to play, often multiple markers on him(only guess but id bet he was the most fouled player in the game), created a great chance for Neymar, played a lovely pass for Neymar in Choupo Moting sitter, won a clear penalty by absolute masterpiece of dribbling but hey, he missed one great chance so he was awful and is worse then Shaqiri probably. God bless modern players and modern fans with a memory of a gold fish.

Šjor Bepo

Do so, your 25 minutes comp certainly opened my eyes :drool:
every game is pretty much like that, even when he was fat, drunk and drugged at Rangers he was still putting a bigger shift then majority of his teammates even though he was BY FAR the best player in the club.
But here it is for people who didnt see it:
Gazza vs Draft Superman Matthaus at his absolute best

post peak vs Sammer

Gazza vs Gullit and co.

Gazza vs the great Milan side

lazy bastard

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As for Sjor's midfield not being a good base for Pirlo it seems to be very similar to the Gattuso, Seedorf and Pirlo midfield 3.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

That Gazza vs Germany footage is interesting. though he has a hard working game, it seemed to me to actually go against the long standing English narrative of Gascoigne dominating Matthaus. There doesn't really look like much of a battle between the two took place at all. though maybe the full game footage(which i've not watched for many years) would give a different impression, it can be hard to get an idea of how teams are competing positionally from all touch comps due to the quick cuts.

Šjor Bepo

That Gazza vs Germany footage is interesting. though he has a hard working game, it seemed to me to actually go against the long standing English narrative of Gascoigne dominating Matthaus. There doesn't really look like much of a battle between the two took place at all. though maybe the full game footage(which i've not watched for many years) would give a different impression, it can be hard to get an idea of how teams are competing positionally from all touch comps due to the quick cuts.
He didnt dominate him, dont think anyone ever said that....but he stopped him(just like the other way around as Matthaus stopped Gazza as well), the brute force that was Matthaus at his absolute best and that tournament was the highest he ever reached turned into a shy quality DM for one game.

Šjor Bepo

@Demyanenko_square_jaw just rewatched 15 minutes of that vid as its been a while since i made it and watched it....if you watch closely you will see Gazza looking for Matthaus on every occasion when Germany is starting their attacks, so its mostly him taking him when there is opportunity to go man to man as he wont break the defensive shape unless they go and press.

and rewatching this, even though both stopped each other Gazza created more for his team on the offensive front.

Himannv

Voted for SjorGio after some deliberation. I don't like Muller on the right there but the rest of the team works the way i think it would. I don't think anyone will put a lot of pressure on Pirlo here so it's easy to see it working against the opposition. Another thing I'm a bit skeptical about is that a system like this is somewhat too hypothetical and not reflecting any actual system.

Big Dunk's team excels where SjorGio's is weaker, in a sense, it's a typical system that we can see quite regularly with standard easily understandable roles and players who fit the system perfectly. Having said all that, I just think it's too boring and I like seeing more risky setups these days.