The Virgin League Draft - Zlatan 7 vs. Joga Bonito & Theon (GROUP A)

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Zlatan 7....................................................................................................................Joga Bonito & Theon
..........VS...........

Team Zlatan 7 (D. Ginola dropped for M. Materazzi)

I’m going with a 5-3-2 similar to what England played in the 90 WC but I’d say with a stronger midfield having Albertini in there instead of Gazza.

Vogts is Joga-ons strongest player so not going to waste my time putting a winger up against him and be told he’ll never get past or struggle there, it’s their left side which is a clear weakness so I’ll be attacking that side, over loading with Mancini, donadoni and Reiziger targeting van Bronckhorst and forcing midfielders to be dragged back to help there. This would leave klinsmann up against a four foot central defence where he’d have the time of his life :nervous: :lol:

Seedorf would have to have some energy gels in this match as both he and klinsmann could fill the gap left by vogts if he ventures forward just to keep vogts on his toes.

Albertini will hold the middle, great stamina and amazing ability, he’s the perfect link between defence and attack, he’ll also be on set plays as he’s probably got the best delivery of any player in the match. Look out in that box with this crossing maestro.

I’m happy with my defence and I’d like to see an header won by the opposition in my box, barzagli shone on the right side of the juve defence, Aldair a natural leader with a great passing range that could move forward into midfield when attacking and Matterazzi being the absolute dirty covering beast that he is. This would also cover for barthez height, but as a shot stopping World Cup winning keeper, I’m happy with him doing that and the the central defenders just winning everything that’s thrown into Spencer.

All the best Joga-on!

Team Joga Bonito & Theon (B Wright dropped for P. Montero)

DEFENSE

Dino Zoff,
the WC winning captain will prove to be a formidable last line of defense with his calming presence, organisational abilities and stupendous shot stopping expertise. The organisational and defensive prowess of Armando Picchi is pivotal to this defensive set up and as one of the finest exponents ever in the art of 'sweeping', Picchi's reading of the game and ability to sniff and put out danger, before it manifests, will be critical. Uruguayan legend and Serie A veteran Paolo Montero, slots in seamlessly and adds some class and grit to the backline. Branded by Giggs as one of his toughest opponents, Montero was a mainstay in Juventus's defense when it was the meanest defense in Serie A and probably in world football. Dutch dynamo Van Bronckhorst was a force to be reckoned with on the left as Gio could man the left flank single handedly and was a potent threat to the opposition's goal (as his goal against Uruguay in the '10 WC will testify). The terrier Berti Vogts needs no introduction and the German will fortify the rearguard and will form a great right flank with Haßler.

Picchi, Montero and Vogts will work in unison to shut out the opposition's attack and also provide a great outlet from the back with Picchi's class on the ball in particular.

MIDFIELD

Dave Mackay
, the man branded by Best to be "his toughest and bravest opponent", was the cornerstone of Nicholson's historic double winning Spurs vintage. In many ways similar to Keano, Jimmy Greaves once remarked that Mackay was "the most complete professional footballer I have ever known". Juan Sebastian Veron was one of the foremost midfield playmakers in the late nineties as he squared up and shined against some of the toughest opposition that football had to offer in the 90s Serie A. The Witch was a sublime playmaker whose tenacious and industrious playing style made him a complete package.

The little magician Alain Giresse was one of France's best players as he dovetailed beautifully with Platini in the carré magique, but he was a legendary figure for Bordeaux and the record goalscorer for the Les Girondins, was a talismanic playmaker in his own right.

Thomas Haßler, a pivotal figure in the 80s and 90s German vintage, was a top notch playmaker with his versatility and industry always coming to the fore. Blessed with a lovely touch and a low centre of gravity, the German along with Littbarski provided the flair to the German machine of the 80s & 90s. It is only testament to his quality that his performances in the 92 Euros, invited comparisons with Maradona's 86 WC displays.

OFFENSE

The spearhead Alberto Spencer was THE complete centre forward with searing pace, devastating aerial prowess, jinxing dribbling, dynamism and unerring finishing. Be it dropping deep and going on a may run, drifting out to the flanks before cutting in with his devastating pace or his explosive finishing in the box, Spencer was a fearsome forward with quite the array of weapons in his arsenal. Quite simply put, Spencer is one of the greatest centre forwards ever. With Bebeto in tandem and the creative cast behind him, he'll be in his element and raring to hit the back of the net again..

Bebeto knows a thing or two about playing in strike duo, having formed magical partnerships with two of the greatest forwards ever in El Fenomeno and Romario. Chorao was very much magnificent player in his own right, possessing the lethal finishing of an apex forward but also the flair and creativity of a Brazilian #10. All in all, a dream package for any player to play with and for any side to have up front.

Key Points

• The midfield could prove to be crucial and Giresse is the key here to unlocking Zlatan's side. The elusive Frenchman was brilliant at moving in between the lines and will prove to be too much to handle for Zlatan's midfield. And Giresse has the deadly duo of Spencer & Bebeto ahead of him

• The side is bolstered by several inspirational leaders, esp at the back - 82 WC winning captain D.Zoff, La Grande Inter's captain Picchi and skipper of the great 70s Gladbach side Vogts and Dutch icon Van Bronchorst. The side will offer sturdy resistance at the back with the resolute and the inspirational rearguard .

• Zlatan has a fine side but is heavily dependent on Klinsmann and Mancini for his goals, and they are are facing a formidable defense shielded by one Dave Mackay. Montero in particular has the gritty physicality, aerial prowess (not a midget) and the mobility to go toe to toe with the German and not give him an inch.

Good luck @Zlatan 7 @Joga Bonito @Theon

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks Joga,
Set up more or less as I expected but montero threw a spanner in my four foot defence attack :)

All the best

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I’m going with a 5-3-2 similar to what England played in the 90 WC but I’d say with a stronger midfield having Albertini in there instead of Gazza.
you drunk?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Vogts is Joga-ons strongest player so not going to waste my time putting a winger up against him and be told he’ll never get past or struggle there,
Wise strategy but Vogts is very much a RCB-RB and as I've mentioned it in the OP, Montero-Picchi-Vogts will very much be working in unison here. So he will not be stranded out on the right flank, and this very much plays into our hands with that defensive trio keeping tabs on your twin pronged attack.

it’s their left side which is a clear weakness so I’ll be attacking that side, over loading with Mancini, donadoni and Reiziger targeting van Bronckhorst and forcing midfielders to be dragged back to help there.

We've reinforced our left flank with Montero coming on for Wright. Montero has ample experience playing down the left and will reinforce that area behind Van Bronchorst with Picchi as cover.

I'd also leave this here from the other thread to clarify our left flank and the deadliness of Spencer from the flanks (esp the left) in particular

It really doesn't look like a diamond from the picture. I thought it was either a Zona Mista or a lopsided 4231. I asked early in the thread and Joga said it was a lopsided 4231 hence my questions about Streltsov.

A diamond is an entirely different proposition in the way it works. I would guess then Veron is the DLP and Mackay LCM. That's fine and makes sense but to repeat, it doesn't look like that at all.
It is a lopsided set up with two up front. Haßler will be the RM and Streltsov is a centre forward. It is not a diamond and it was never meant to be represented as such

On the right we have Haßler, an immensely industrious and a creative techno-midget :p , who should dovetail really well with Vogts playing the defensive RCB-RB role. Naturally when Vogts tucks in, Haßler drops deep and pushes forward with Vogts on the right etc. I expect them to work well in unison. With Vogts on the right and Wright on the left I don't really see why there's be issues for Picchi here in the defensive phase. No different to him having Guarneri and Burgnich ahead of him.

Thanks for the information re Picchi @Fortitude That's what I was looking for

Now it'd be disingenuous to play Picchi in a flat back four with two standard FBs and claim that he'd function flawlessly or that he'd be a sweeper. Which is exactly why we've partnered him with Wright and a top notch RCB-RB in Vogts and with an industrious RM and a LWB to go with too. Now his defensive style was no different to Scirea imo who also sweeped up and was behind the defensive line of Cabrini, Brio and Gentile. Difference being that he was much more expansive on the ball. Now that is fairly reductionist as there were significant differences in their respective systems but at the end of the day both were sweepers defensively and in many ways Picchi was the precursor to Scirea.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...-scirea-the-legendary-liberos-who-died-by-36/

Here's a great article on both of them. Both of them passed away at 36, tragically. Didn't know that was the case with Picchi till this draft.

Now we have a LWB in van Bronckhorst who was really attacking and great at providing attacking impetus whilst being capable of holding his own defensively. Now we haven't just lumped Van Bronchorst on the left and left him alone. He has more than enough support on the left.

Firstly - Dave Mackay. He was immense at covering the left channels and flanks and often you'd see him covering for his left back or providing him support. One of the prime reasons why we picked him (apart from his obvious quality) to bolster that left flank.

The question is how good Mackay would be at LCM?

Please watch these videos on Mackay if you haven't done so already. He was truly a force to be reckoned with, not just centrally but on the left too - no different to Edgar Davids for instance.

Secondly - Giresse. Now we intentionally picked Giresse, not just for his creativity and because he was a midget but also because of his ability to roam and his ease on either flank - there was a reason he was known as the false winger after all. Giresse and Tigana played huge roles in enabling the 'centrally loaded' carre magique to not just function but thrive. Giresse was also extremely industrious and really put in a shift off the ball and contributed to the midfield battle, as too did Veron, so that Mackay has enough freedom to be able to cover the left channels and flank when the need arises.

Finally, this might be a blunder on my part but I've spent a lot of time banging on Spencer being a roaming all round centre forward and not just a heading penalty box target man. And I haven't fully expanded on that or why we've gone with such a setup.

Spencer was truly a modern and a complete centre forward who loved to drift off to the flanks and was absolutely lethal at finding space out wide and cutting in.

You can count the numerous amount of times he does that in both these matches. He should have gotten a few penalties etc and his searing pace cutting in from the flanks was too much for defenses to handle and it was one of his fortes.

He loved to link up play and preferred playing with creative and similar minded players which is why I've been at pains, to play him in a strike duo with the crafty Streltsov and alongside techno midgets Giresse & Haßler and of course Veron. I should have placed him as the LF and Streltsov on the right for voters to better visualize it and that was a mistake on my part.

Keep in mind that he's not playing up front isolated but with a dedicated strike partner, meaning he'd have even more license to exploit his roaming gameplay. No different to how Klinsmann and Völler played for example.

Simply put we could have played Moulijn, a brilliant left winger with a great cross and kept banging on about the service from Moulijn and Haßler with Giresse feeding him and ultimately make him out to be the pure goalscoring centre forward, that he's always viewed as. Straightforward and we'd barely lose anything in terms of vote recognition as neither Streltsov or Moulijn are your traditional vote magnets and we'd be facing fewer questions with the latter. However, I honestly feel this is the best way to maximise Spencer's talents and let him strut his stuff as a roaming forward, dropping deep, drifting out wide and linking up with others and most importantly, exhibit his match winning potential.

Now would the left flank be relatively more secure with a traditional winger occupying the opposition's RB? Yes of course, but we feel the upsides (which I've listed above) to this setup more than covers that minor setback and you'd never be safe with Spencer waiting to exploit any spaces or gaps that pops up on the flanks or channels, and exploit them ruthlessly. I'd be more than glad for the opposition to push their RB fully forward, but I'd back my defense and van Bronckhorst, ably supported by the likes of Mackay and Giresse to hold the fort and Spencer to sucker-punch them on the break.

I’m happy with my defence and I’d like to see an header won by the opposition in my box, barzagli shone on the right side of the juve defence, Aldair a natural leader with a great passing range that could move forward into midfield when attacking and Matterazzi being the absolute dirty covering beast that he is. This would also cover for barthez height, but as a shot stopping World Cup winning keeper, I’m happy with him doing that and the the central defenders just winning everything that’s thrown into Spencer.
It's a good defense and I particularly like Barzagli and Aldair. Never been the biggest fan of Materazzi tbh, esp here in his role as a sweeper if sorts. As far as I remember he was an aggressive stopper and never quite seemed to be the type whom you'd place in a sweeping role behind 2 CBs.

Also it's a defense with plenty of grit and physicality but it does seem to lack an agile and a nimble operator (Bonucci, Nesta etc). They hold up pretty well against Spencer's aerial game but on the ground the Ecuadorian was a sleek operator and that's before I even mention Bebeto and Giresse (& Haßler*) with their low centre of gravity and immense dribbling - come on guys ... picking midgets does have it's perks once in a while :p. That could prove problematic for your backline in particular.

*Haßler is someone who can cause real damage down the right and Pearce was a zesty LB capable of driving down the left flank but he could find it tough to keep a handle on the nifty German.

This would leave klinsmann up against a four foot central defence where he’d have the time of his life :nervous: :lol:
:lol:

Your attack does seem a tad reliant on Klinsmann, who has Montero keeping tabs on him, and whilst Mancini was a decent goalscorer he was more of a creative second striker, more so than a deadly goalscoring SS in the mould of Bebeto for instance. He's never hit 20 goals a season in his career and his highest goalscoring season was 16 goals in 47 games. A decent goalscorer no doubt but it does leave your side reliant on Klinsmann for the goals imo.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks for the detailed explanation. You’ve a good team.

Mancini was played there for klinsmann to play off not necessarily score the goals but i get what you’re saying.

materazzi, yeah I know but preferred to have Aldair moving forward instead of sweeping.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Really good team @Zlatan 7 and a relatively less used formation 5-3-2.

Falls a bit short on overall quality, but well built structurally.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I may be laughed at for my team and sjor enjoys being a nob towards me, and I did struggle putting this team together, I still think Joga-ons defence is weird, if I attack the right and have van Bronckhorst and montero there Plus you say Picchi is covering there that leaves vogts alone in the centre, woukd hassler come as deep as right back to cover it I just can’t be arsed to argue it at this stage.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I may be laughed at for my team and sjor enjoys being a nob towards me, and I did struggle putting this team together, I still think Joga-ons defence is weird, if I attack the right and have van Bronckhorst and montero there Plus you say Picchi is covering there that leaves vogts alone in the centre, woukd hassler come as deep as right back to cover it I just can’t be arsed to argue it at this stage.
Might be worth it. Vote percentage counts. I am as yet under decided.

Sjor's just a big fan of Gascoigne btw that's all

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol:

Never change Zlatan!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I really like Zlatan's midfield & attack, there's a nice balance to it. Defense is a bit off – Materazzi has some experience as a sweeper, but it wasn't his best role. Maybe someone more attacking than Reiziger would be better, but then Donadoni is more than capable to provide width in his hybrid role.

You're not laughed for your team by the way, it's just that there's no way that Albertini is an upgrade on the 1990 version of Gazza. Aside from that comparison, he is a nice fit there.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
On Zlatan's team:

In defense, I think switching Aldair and Materazzi would have been better - although it's also possible to build a strong back four around Aldair and commit an extra man to midfield/attack.

Midfield and attack are very good, imo. Donadoni and Seedorf are well suited for the half-wide roles. Albertini is much more of a classic DLP than allround powerhouse Gazza, but Seedorf/Donadoni provide plenty of legs & energy in that midfield.

Mancini/Klinsmann should work together brilliantly.

One thing I can't really judge: this setup seems reliant on strong attacking fullbacks, ideally with very good crossing ability - are Reiziger and Pearce in that category? It's especially interesting since Klinsmann's phenomenal aerial ability should be a major threat against Montero/Picchi/Vogts.

-----------------

On Joga's & Theon's team:

Defense is really good individually (Vogts & Zoff among the best individuals in this whole draft), but I've stated my (possible) caveat above when facing Klinsmann .

The biggest question for me is the left side, which looks very dependent on van Bronckhorst doing a two man job - it might be too much. No idea if Streltsov could have supported the LW as needed, but Bebeto doesn't seem the type to me. That said, Bebeto/Spencer is certainly among the best attacking units in this draft in isolation.

Overall a strong team with lots of very good players, but these two caveats are potentially decisive imo, depending on Zlatan's ability to exploit them. Both have a lot to do with the question on Reiziger.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, I know that I'm going to sound like a fanboy (let's face it, I am), but I liked Streltsov there more than Bebeto. Obviously there are formations where Bebeto should be preferred, but I don't think that this is it.

Šjor Bepo

Sjor's just a big fan of Gascoigne btw that's all
Nothing to do with that, if onenil says garrincha is better then nani you wouldnt go defend that view with “onenil is just a big fan of garrincha”

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nothing to do with that, if onenil says garrincha is better then nani you wouldnt go defend that view with “onenil is just a big fan of garrincha”
That gap between Garrincha and Nani is much greater than Gascogine and Albertini. That said Gascoigne in 1990 WC was exceptional. I was taking it more of a Gazza career vs Albertini career

Šjor Bepo

That gap between Garrincha and Nani is much greater than Gascogine and Albertini. That said Gascoigne in 1990 WC was exceptional. I was taking it more of a Gazza career vs Albertini career
Irrelevant, gap is still huge. In fact id take drugged, drunk and injured gazza over fecking albertini, in fact you can add a blindfold for gazza just so curly hair thinks he has a chance.

Šjor Bepo

Who invited zlatan anyways?

I actually like the team, feck even buy materazzi in that role for some reason. But he fecked up with that midfield, Gazza was crucial in both transition and offensive phase given the lack of numbers and lack of “ballers“ which is the case in both teams.
If you go with Albertini then you need much more offensive player then Seedorf there as this way the team will struggle offensive wise and its a shame cause it was nicely built so even with lesser players it doesnt look out of place.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I really like Zlatan's midfield & attack, there's a nice balance to it. Defense is a bit off – Materazzi has some experience as a sweeper, but it wasn't his best role. Maybe someone more attacking than Reiziger would be better, but then Donadoni is more than capable to provide width in his hybrid role.

You're not laughed for your team by the way, it's just that there's no way that Albertini is an upgrade on the 1990 version of Gazza. Aside from that comparison, he is a nice fit there.
I didn’t mean stronger as in better, but more defensive, I considered Gazza more attacking than Albertini that’s all so thought there’d be more of a hold in midfield, maybe worded wrong or maybe I’m just totally wrong.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Thanks harms, it’s the balance I aim more for these days, I’m still a novice drafter :D and only just moved on from just picking the best names I can think of in my shallow pool of nineties memories:lol:
I agree Matterazzi is strange there but it fitted the formation I wanted, maybe would have been better with Aldair

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
When it’s a landslide score and the opening two posts are laughing smileys i don’t think there’s much point arguing :lol:
Haven't voted, and whatever the merits or weaknesses of the opposition, you do have a distinct lack of goals in your midfield and too much onus on too few, who aren't 'special' turning the game in your favour. I feel as though the extra man you've put at the back would be better utilised either in your final third or as some kind of conduit/game-changer in midfield.

I get why you might want to put the extra man back there to try snuff out Spencer, but you've done so at a cost to your own schematic.

My smilie was because you genuinely make me smile - wasn't taking the piss. :)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
On Zlatan's team:

In defense, I think switching Aldair and Materazzi would have been better - although it's also possible to build a strong back four around Aldair and commit an extra man to midfield/attack.

Midfield and attack are very good, imo. Donadoni and Seedorf are well suited for the half-wide roles. Albertini is much more of a classic DLP than allround powerhouse Gazza, but Seedorf/Donadoni provide plenty of legs & energy in that midfield.

One thing I can't really judge: this setup seems reliant on strong attacking fullbacks, ideally with very good crossing ability - are Reiziger and Pearce in that category? It's especially interesting since Klinsmann's phenomenal aerial ability should be a major threat against Montero/Picchi/Vogts.

-----------------

Defense is really good individually (Vogts & Zoff among the best individuals in this whole draft), but I've stated my (possible) caveat above when facing Klinsmann .

The biggest question for me is the left side, which looks very dependent on van Bronckhorst doing a two man job - it might be too much. No idea if Streltsov could have supported the LW as needed, but Bebeto doesn't seem the type to me. That said, Bebeto/Spencer is certainly among the best attacking units in this draft in isolation.

Overall a strong team with lots of very good players, but these two caveats are potentially decisive imo, depending on Zlatan's ability to exploit them. Both have a lot to do with the question on Reiziger.
Thanks for the detailed input synco, appreciated and taken onboard

Enigma_87

You know who
I quite like what has @Zlatan 7 put up here. I think swapping Aldair with Materazzi will solve the issue of the latter looking out of place.
That midfield doesn't look too bad either - you have Albertini as a DLP who can initiate play from deep and Seedorf/Donadoni are workhorses that can add to the numbers in midfield and also move the ball vertically or combine with the attacking duo.

J/T however for me just have the better team/individuals to pull it off, but not a whitewash in any means.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Haven't voted, and whatever the merits or weaknesses of the opposition, you do have a distinct lack of goals in your midfield and too much onus on too few, who aren't 'special' turning the game in your favour. I feel as though the extra man you've put at the back would be better utilised either in your final third or as some kind of conduit/game-changer in midfield.

I get why you might want to put the extra man back there to try snuff out Spencer, but you've done so at a cost to your own schematic.

My smilie was because you genuinely make me smile - wasn't taking the piss. :)
I agree with your post and I know my midfield is lacking goals and I’m over dependant on klinsmann and admittedly did change my formation to face vogts and Spencer. Oh well, it didn’t work :D

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I quite like what has @Zlatan 7 put up here. I think swapping Aldair with Materazzi will solve the issue of the latter looking out of place.
That midfield doesn't look too bad either - you have Albertini as a DLP who can initiate play from deep and Seedorf/Donadoni are workhorses that can add to the numbers in midfield and also move the ball vertically or combine with the attacking duo.

J/T however for me just have the better team/individuals to pull it off, but not a whitewash in any means.
That was my take on it too enigma, nice that someone seen my vision for it :wenger: but ultimately I agree with you

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Probably an unpopular view in some quarters but I don't think the difference between Albertini and Gasgcoigne is huge.

Would give it to Gasgcoigne for absolute peak and Albertini for longevity. I wouldn't say there was a significant difference talent wise. Not exactly similar players of course.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On Zlatan's team:

Agree with these points - it's really nicely constructed. The Mancini/Klinsmann partnership is sexy, the three-man midfield and central defensive units look solid to me. Aldair having played some of his best football for Roma at full-back if I remember rightly, Barzagli solid as an RCB for Juventus. As @GodShaveTheQueen says it's a well designed 5-3-2 which should be dangerous on the break with Klinsmann's pace, sprung by the quality long deliveries from Pearce and Materazzi. Joga/Theon have a tad more quality all in all, but with 3 points in the bag from the first game have less need to kill themselves pushing for the win, so I'm thinking 0-0 with two fairly defensive teams slugging it out.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
See all these posts without Being a condescending nob sjor? Cute ain’t it :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agree with these points - it's really nicely constructed. The Mancini/Klinsmann partnership is sexy, the three-man midfield and central defensive units look solid to me. Aldair having played some of his best football for Roma at full-back if I remember rightly, Barzagli solid as an RCB for Juventus. As @GodShaveTheQueen says it's a well designed 5-3-2 which should be dangerous on the break with Klinsmann's pace, sprung by the quality long deliveries from Pearce and Materazzi. Joga/Theon have a tad more quality all in all, but with 3 points in the bag from the first game have less need to kill themselves pushing for the win, so I'm thinking 0-0 with two fairly defensive teams slugging it out.
I liked how the team is structuctured but know myself the quality was lacking, was a stressful build :lol: thanks for your input Gio

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’d just like to point out that sjor is the only person I’ve had contact with outside the forum so I’m ok to call him a nob :wenger: I wouldn’t be so abusive towards anyone else, ha

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Zlatan 7 Kudos for engineering a tactical system for the glory of Stuart: it is jamais vu in a draft = D And also for defending your choices despite the likely outcome.

Giresse on the left in a 442 would have been an obvious choice for me. However, I understand they put Giresse at the heart becausethe opposing team has no left-winger

Looks like a game between a counter-attacking team and more entreprising team. Even if I think Zlatan can win that game in real life, I have voted for a team less conservative and more creative one in a context in which both teams tend to attack centrally

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thanks for the detailed explanation. You’ve a good team.
Thanks! You have a fine team yourself too and I really like the use of Seedorf and Donadoni.

I may be laughed at for my team and sjor enjoys being a nob towards me, and I did struggle putting this team together,
Sjor wasn't being a nob mate (that would be Jim Beam btw :p), it was just him pulling your leg about the Gazza comment since he's a huge Gazza fan. Don't take it seriously.

Plus you say Picchi is covering there that leaves vogts alone in the centre, woukd hassler come as deep as right back to cover it I just can’t be arsed to argue it at this stag
Haßler was extremely industrious and capable of excelling at the RM role.

This is a great video of him playing a similar role and at times you see him dropping deep or even functioning as the RB when Köln's RB tucks in. Puts in a few dangerous crosses and eventually creates Köln's second with a dangerous cross.

That's a fair appraisal. Regarding the left flank I've gone about it in detail in post #7 (in the spoilers), so would direct you to that so that I don't become repetitive.

By the way, I know that I'm going to sound like a fanboy (let's face it, I am), but I liked Streltsov there more than Bebeto. Obviously there are formations where Bebeto should be preferred, but I don't think that this is it.
Fair enough. Tough choice choosing between the two.

Probably an unpopular view in some quarters but I don't think the difference between Albertini and Gasgcoigne is huge.

Would give it to Gasgcoigne for absolute peak and Albertini for longevity. I wouldn't say there was a significant difference talent wise. Not exactly similar players of course.
I really like Albertini in Zlatan's set up myself and even initially thought that he'd have needed a more defensively robust CM to balance out Seedorf and Donadoni's attacking inclinations but it is s back 5 set up and that trio have the right blend of creativity, graft and dynamism to make it work.

Albertini is underrated and deserves more outings but there is quite the gap between peak Gazza and peak Albertini. Peak Gazza was a talismanic force capable of mixing it up with the best (his game against Matthäus's Germany for instance) whilst Albertini was a solid and a reliable cog in a well-oiled machine. Point taken about his longevity though.

@Zlatan 7 Kudos for engineering a tactical system for the glory of Stuart: it is jamais vu in a draft = D And also for defending your choices despite the likely outcome.

Giresse on the left in a 442 would have been an obvious choice for me. However, I understand they put Giresse at the heart becausethe opposing team has no left-winger

Looks like a game between a counter-attacking team and more entreprising team. Even if I think Zlatan can win that game in real life, I have voted for a team less conservative and more creative one in a context in which both teams tend to attack centrally
Cheers. Haven't seen you in a long time.

Regarding Giresse, it was under consideration and we'd even had suggestions to place Giresse as the LW in the defensive phase. But I think it's fair to say that Giresse won't be stranded in the centre and given his mobile gameplay and inclination to drift to the flanks, he'll be featuring on the left (and the right) significantly. We've given him a free roaming role and expect him to make good use of it.

I've expanded more on that in post #7 (in spoilers).

Last edited:

Himannv

Changed my vote to @Zlatan 7

The more I think about that setup, the more I like it. The only downside for me is Reiziger, who I feel isn't attacking enough. I like Albertini in there in place of Gazza in a way as a DLP in that position will work nicely IMO. I think the less glamorous names don't matter as they seem to fulfill their function in the setup for most part. I also like the fact that it's something different for a change than the expected systems that we see everyday, and that more than anything deserves a vote.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Changed my vote to @Zlatan 7

The more I think about that setup, the more I like it. The only downside for me is Reiziger, who I feel isn't attacking enough. I like Albertini in there in place of Gazza in a way as a DLP in that position will work nicely IMO. I think the less glamorous names don't matter as they seem to fulfill their function in the setup for most part. I also like the fact that it's something different for a change than the expected systems that we see everyday, and that more than anything deserves a vote.
Thanks @Himannv I like your thinking