The Virgin League Draft - Zlatan 7 vs. Joga Bonito & Theon (GROUP A)

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Zlatan 7 Kudos for engineering a tactical system for the glory of Stuart: it is jamais vu in a draft = D And also for defending your choices despite the likely outcome.

Giresse on the left in a 442 would have been an obvious choice for me. However, I understand they put Giresse at the heart becausethe opposing team has no left-winger

Looks like a game between a counter-attacking team and more entreprising team. Even if I think Zlatan can win that game in real life, I have voted for a team less conservative and more creative one in a context in which both teams tend to attack centrally
I had to google Jamais vu, thanks, it’s nice to be a little different. I’d agree with your voting reasons too and tbh would usually vote for a more creative team if it came down to it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Joga Bonito i know, it’s all good :)

this is a good match, was always going to be tough.

One thing, I’m sure I’ve used Gazza in a draft here before and he wasn’t highly thought of, I’ll have to search to see if I’m dreaming or not. Now he’s the second coming of Jesus :lol:
I think I worded it wrong and didn’t mean to say that Albertini would play the exact same role but better, but more he’d be more defensive and stay back more than Gazza would have to make it stronger. I know what I mean in my head:lol::wenger:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The biggest question for me is the left side, which looks very dependent on van Bronckhorst doing a two man job - it might be too much. No idea if Streltsov could have supported the LW as needed, but Bebeto doesn't seem the type to me. That said, Bebeto/Spencer is certainly among the best attacking units in this draft in isolation.
By the way, I know that I'm going to sound like a fanboy (let's face it, I am), but I liked Streltsov there more than Bebeto. Obviously there are formations where Bebeto should be preferred, but I don't think that this is it.
They’re both great fits imo and were both high on our initial short-list. Bebeto is a complete second striker which is what that role requires as part of a front two – reckon they’d strike up an excellent partnership with Bebeto’s foraging technical-quality well-suited to complimenting Spencer as the more prominent goalscoring #9.

Not sure what you feel would be lacking there as his movement was top-notch and despite being a very prominent goalscorer (6th highest goalscorer for Brazil with 39 in 75, 86 in 131 in his La Liga pomp for Deportivo.. often scoring fantastic goals) he wasn’t a static number #9 and roamed over the park, picking up the ball in midfield spaces and popping on either flank as he ran the channels. Exactly what you want from a second striker in that position and his ability on the ball is something Spencer would surely feed off.

The assist for Romario vs Holland shows the sort of inside left movement we’d be expecting:

And a longer compilation showing his ability to get on the score-sheet whist also making himself available all across the park (often on the right in this game to be fair).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Good game @Zlatan 7

Scoreline is harsh but not exactly reflective of the game. A couple of tweaks and it'll be a mighty fine side.