Television The Walking Dead

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Can somebody explain to me why that other group is on a camping holiday in the middle of a zombie apocalypse? They don't even have any guns FFS!

Cina

Am I the only one who's a tad underwhelmed?
I can see why people would be if there were high expectations.

I mean, it doesn't offer anything 'new' to the zombie genre, but I think it's great, because it does all the current stuff so well, and the production values and gore levels are wonderful for a TV show. It's basically a TV Series of Dawn of the Dead.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Am I the only one who's a tad underwhelmed?
I think the development prospects of a zombie tv show are what have us all really excited. Like cina said it's nothing new but we're used to zombie movies and video games. Yeah the video games are fun, but they're more action focused than story focused sometimes, and the movies are a little too short to go into any major development.

The nature of a zombie apocalypse story fits perfectly with the format of a comic book series (which The Walking Dead was originally) and a tv series because there's a lot more potential for development of all the different intricate details that have to be glossed over to fit things into a movie-length production. It also lets multiple storylines develop rather than just giving you one character's perspective the whole time.

So maybe we're only seeing a little bit of difference here and there, but it's no worse than any other zombie production, and we've seen that the producers aren't going to hold back when it comes to gore and things like that, and we're only two episodes in. At least that's why I'm excited.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Fantastic first two episodes, definitely better then I expected.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Another top episode, but why did Merle cut his hand off? Why wouldn't you just cut the cuffs or the pipe? :lol:

Eriku

Another top episode, but why did Merle cut his hand off? Why wouldn't you just cut the cuffs or the pipe? :lol:
iuno... only satisfying way to explain it would be that he had so little time that he reckoned soft tissue would win the day.

MOAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
iuno... only satisfying way to explain it would be that he had so little time that he reckoned soft tissue would win the day.

MOAAAAAAAAAAR!!!
He didn't have so little time though, the zombies never broke through the door.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yep, that was a bit silly.

Brilliant show though.

Anyone else think his wife is a bit of a slag? Regardless of whether she thought he was dead or not it was 2 weeks for Chrisake.

Eriku

He didn't have so little time though, the zombies never broke through the door.
I s'pose... chalk it down. Maybe there'll be an account of it later.

Yep, that was a bit silly.

Brilliant show though.

Anyone else think his wife is a bit of a slag? Regardless of whether she thought he was dead or not it was 2 weeks for Chrisake.
Iuno... yes, but you never know when you're going down when the zombie apocalypse has arrived... might as well get your cocks in, if you like that sort of thing.

Spoony

The People's President
Yep. Also there's no way they'd have gone back for him in reality.

And yeah his wife's a slag. Loved the way he laid the blame firmly at her husband's mate's feet.

Eriku

Yep. Also there's no way they'd have gone back for him in reality.

And yeah his wife's a slag. Loved the way he laid the blame firmly at her husband's mate's feet.
did the hubby do that, tho'? to me it seemed like they were going to let sleeping dogs lie, hence her warning her off her family entirely

Eriku

Sorry, I meant to say she not he!
Ah, well... the fact that he lied and said he knew her husband was dead is surely clearly in the black area, whereas she's been moving about in the grey area.

Warranted, I say, though it had me severely confused at first

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Ah, well... the fact that he lied and said he knew her husband was dead is surely clearly in the black area, whereas she's been moving about in the grey area.

Warranted, I say, though it had me severely confused at first
Yeah I think that was the purpose of the "you told me he was dead" line. I think it's mostly to try to paint Shane as maybe a bad guy. At least as far as the living go. Then again they have some other right dicks in the camp as well between the Dixon bros and that one guy that hit his wife. Maybe they just want to set him up as some sort of contrast with Rick, who at the moment is uncompromisingly good.

I'm interested to see how Lennie James's character gets back into the mix. Mostly because I feckin love Lennie James.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Why the feck are that lot on a massive camping holiday amd worrying about their safety? Why aren't they either holeing up somewhere safe or trying to meet up with other survivors?

Why the feck are they moaning about not having guns and tools when presumably there's tons of that stuff laying around just waiting to be picked up? This is getting shitter by the week.

Dresilved

Why the feck are that lot on a massive camping holiday amd worrying about their safety? Why aren't they either holeing up somewhere safe or trying to meet up with other survivors?
Completely agree with this, why would you position yourself in a forest where you can't see the walkers coming from all directions by the look of it, surely anyone with a bit of common sense would put themselves in a position to see what ever was coming from miles away in any direction.

Member 39557

Why the feck are they moaning about not having guns and tools when presumably there's tons of that stuff laying around just waiting to be picked up? This is getting shitter by the week.
Completely agree with this, why would you position yourself in a forest where you can't see the walkers coming from all directions by the look of it, surely anyone with a bit of common sense would put themselves in a position to see what ever was coming from miles away in any direction.
I was working on the assumption that people generally don't live in or around the woods/forest so the campers had more chance of being safe and undetected there, as there shouldn't be many Zombies around. The Trees would also provide them with a bit of cover and somewhere to hide, although I accept that it would also make zombies approaching from the Trees harder to spot.

I haven't seen the third episode yet, so I don't know if they act in a way that disproves my theory.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I love it, but to carry on that theme. Surely, if there was a zombe Apocalypse, you would not look to hide in the woods or forests....How is that a long term survival plan? What about the zombies moving from out of cities, or that Winter will be approaching and will essentially force you back into the zombie areas, who are even hungrier. It doesn't really make much sense to do that, why not clear a building, or hotel, or small complex? Protection from weather, zombies, a base to fortify, especially as they can't seem to get through doors.....It would also mean opportunity to store food for long term survival.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah I think that was the purpose of the "you told me he was dead" line. I think it's mostly to try to paint Shane as maybe a bad guy. At least as far as the living go. Then again they have some other right dicks in the camp as well between the Dixon bros and that one guy that hit his wife. Maybe they just want to set him up as some sort of contrast with Rick, who at the moment is uncompromisingly good.

I'm interested to see how Lennie James's character gets back into the mix. Mostly because I feckin love Lennie James.
Lennie James is amazing, have you seen Jericho?

vanthaman

Winner
I love it, but to carry on that theme. Surely, if there was a zombe Apocalypse, you would not look to hide in the woods or forests....How is that a long term survival plan? What about the zombies moving from out of cities, or that Winter will be approaching and will essentially force you back into the zombie areas, who are even hungrier. It doesn't really make much sense to do that, why not clear a building, or hotel, or small complex? Protection from weather, zombies, a base to fortify, especially as they can't seem to get through doors.....It would also mean opportunity to store food for long term survival.
first thing id do would be take that tank

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yes, leaving that tank was a bit retarded. Why not drive it out? Build up a bit of steam then put someone on the mounted gun.

EP 3 SPOILERS

Also, you would never go back for that guy in this situation, it doesn't make sense. Also probably wouldn't cut your hand off when you can just saw through the chain, or pipe.

Dingledoog

The mood and atmosphere created is brilliant. Gives you a real feeling of the isolation and loneliness these people are experiencing (more so in the first ep). Some glaringly obvious plot holes though, some of which have already been mentioned.

The most annoying thing for me so far...

Grimes (a supposedly street smart cop) riding into Atlanta while there are thousands of cars on the other highway, obviously trying to to get away. At no point did he think it would probably be a bad idea riding into the city with nothing but a horse and some guns?

I'm going to keep with it though as it is interesting enough while I am watching and is only a short series.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yes, you would also assume the thousands of cars on the side of the road leaving the city would have been a bit of a hint to the situation in Atlanta.

Spoony

The People's President
The mood and atmosphere created is brilliant. Gives you a real feeling of the isolation and loneliness these people are experiencing (more so in the first ep). Some glaringly obvious plot holes though, some of which have already been mentioned.

Grimes (a supposedly street smart cop) riding into Atlanta while there are thousands of cars on the other highway, obviously trying to to get away. At no point did he think it would probably be a bad idea riding into the city with nothing but a horse and some guns?

I'm going to keep with it though as it is interesting enough while I am watching and is only a short series.

Yeah, that was retarded. But it's entertaining enough, despite the sheer stupidity of the storyline at times.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was working on the assumption that people generally don't live in or around the woods/forest so the campers had more chance of being safe and undetected there, as there shouldn't be many Zombies around. The Trees would also provide them with a bit of cover and somewhere to hide, although I accept that it would also make zombies approaching from the Trees harder to spot.

I haven't seen the third episode yet, so I don't know if they act in a way that disproves my theory.
They did have some cans on string to detect when they walk near the camp perimeter, but yeah, I wouldn't choose there to hole up.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Lennie James is amazing, have you seen Jericho?
I base my entire impression of Lennie James based on Jericho. The flashback scene where he just comes out of nowhere and softly tells his wife "Don't make a scene" is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. My roommate started calling him "Black McGyver" for some reason while watching that, so in my apartment he's collectively known as Black McGyver now, even though the name doesn't really make sense. I didn't even realize his name was Lennie James until watching The Walking Dead. But he's absolutely brilliant in the "badass who's just doing what he needs to do to survive" role.

Dresilved

I'm disappointed in the whole "love interest" with his best mate thing, just seems a bit tacky, not really needed imo, it needs to stay on the serious business of Zombies - overall, good enough to continue watching though

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

he had it in his mind that his kid and wife were in the big city. Up till then he hadn't really seen THAT many zombies. At least nothing he couldn't navigate

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
It's a very well made show. Surprising the level of quality for a tv series, let alone one on cable. I find myself not giving a shit about the people however. That's probably down to being a tad bit depressed at the moment though.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I had a serious crush on her when she was in Prison Break, needless to say i got a boner looking at that love scene in the forest at the start of the last episode. I think she's fierce hot.