The West Wing

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The thread about Friends reminded me, I saw the complete (7 season box set) West Wing in HMV for £49.99 today.

One of the best things ever on telly. If you've not seen it, buy it. An absolute steal at that price. I've already got them all but bought it as a Xmas presant for someone.

Alex

I deemed it shit without ever watching. Nothing can compare to The Wire of The Sopranos, nothing

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yet you can get it absolutely free and of no cost to you on sites such as RapidShare.

I'd be disgusted if I stumbled across some links on my Internet travels.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yet you can get it absolutely free and of no cost to you on sites such as RapidShare.

I'd be disgusted if I stumbled across some links on my Internet travels.
I always struggled to convert AVI files into a DVD format (i'm pretty useless with technical things) so bought a DVD player which can play AVI files burned straight to a DVD+R. Changed my buying habits forever! I can get whole seasons of shows onto one disc with excellent quality.

That said it's nice to have the proper box sets (sad I know).

Brophs

The One and Only
It's my favourite show ever. The writing is amazing, and every actor playing their part seems spot on.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, give Series 1 a go, you won't regret it.

Alex

Why do they call it series one etc, it is season one; the show itself is a series

Brophs

The One and Only
Why do they call it series one etc, it is season one; the show itself is a series
Dunno. You're right, but over here we say series to describe a 'season', for some reason.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just watched the first two episodes of Season 1 (Thanks, Nick!), and enjoyed it, seems to be scripted very well and I already like a lot of the characters. Presidents seems to be a class act too.

Girish II

Jesus, £49.99 for 159 episodes, that's a deal of Peter "bargain of the century" Schmeichel proportions.

What's it about?

Girish II

Yes I gathered it's a show revolved around politics, but care to offer a more detailed synopsis?

Girish II

Cheers. It sounds interesting, here's a wiki snippet.

The West Wing, like many serial dramas, stretches storylines over several episodes or entire seasons. In addition to these larger storylines, each episode also contains smaller arcs which usually begin and end within an episode.

Most episodes follow President Bartlet and his staff through particular legislative or political issues. Plots can range from behind-closed-doors negotiating with Congress ("Five Votes Down") to personal issues like sex ("Pilot", "Take out the Trash Day") and personal drug use (a major plotline throughout the first and second seasons). The typical episode loosely follows the president and his staff through their day, generally following several plots connected by some idea or theme. A large, fully connected set of the White House allows the producers to create shots with very few cuts and long, continuous master shots of staff members walking and talking through the hallways. These "walk and talks" became a trademark of the show. The final two seasons presented a narrative change, with the focus of the show divided between plots in the West Wing with President Bartlet and his remaining senior staffers and plots revolving around the rest of the main cast on the campaign trail for the 2006 election.

• In the first season, the administration is in the middle of its first year and is still having trouble settling in and making progress on legislative issues
  • The second season brings scandal as the White House is rocked by allegations of criminal conduct and the President must decide whether he will run for a second term.
  • The third and fourth seasons take an in-depth look at the campaign trail and the specter of both foreign and domestic terrorism.
  • In the fifth season, the president begins to encounter more issues on the foreign front, while at home he must face off with the newly designated Speaker of the House over the future of the federal budget.
  • The sixth season chronicles the quest to replace Bartlet in the next election, following the primary campaigns of several candidates from both parties, while the President himself attempts to build his legacy, but finds his ability to govern compromised by his illness.
  • In the seventh season, the president must face a leak of confidential information about a secret DoD program from inside the White House, while the Democratic and Republican candidates battle to succeed him in the general election.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just watched the first two episodes of Season 1 (Thanks, Nick!), and enjoyed it, seems to be scripted very well and I already like a lot of the characters. Presidents seems to be a class act too.
Excellent mate, keep me posted with how your finding it; if your enjoying it I'll send you season 2 because you won't want to be waiting.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Watched the first five seasons during the summer. Simply great TV, particularly the first two seasons.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finished Season 1, absolutely brilliant and what an end! Season 2 hasn't arrived yet though so I'll have to wait to see what happens :mad:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Leo and the President are probably my favourite characters. But then I think CJ is brilliant too, and Sam. Then there is Toby and Josh, and Donna! She's funny.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is a difficult one, Season 2 does have some fantastic episodes though, as well as probably my favourite scene from the whole series in the final episode.

CantonasWife

Queen B
Leo and the President are probably my favourite characters. But then I think CJ is brilliant too, and Sam. Then there is Toby and Josh, and Donna! She's funny.
You just named the whole cast but it's understandable Elvis, they're all brilliant.. Josh is my favourite though. Funny and smart character with a lot of dimensions (you'll notice this later on).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
You just named the whole cast but it's understandable Elvis, they're all brilliant.. Josh is my favourite though. Funny and smart character with a lot of dimensions (you'll notice this later on).
:lol: I know, as you said they're all brilliant in their own way. I love CJ's laugh though, she should laugh more.

CantonasWife

Queen B
It is a difficult one, Season 2 does have some fantastic episodes though, as well as probably my favourite scene from the whole series in the final episode.
I think Season 1 finale is my favourite though.. The kind of thing Elvis is going through now when you're waiting for season 2 to start.. I remember that, it was a great cliffhanger!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Josh and Toby are my favourite characters, with Charlie not too far behind.

I think Season 1 finale is my favourite though.. The kind of thing Elvis is going through now when you're waiting for season 2 to start.. I remember that, it was a great cliffhanger!
I remember having season 1 on VHS and having to wait for season 2 to come on was torture!!

Elvis do not read this!:

the scene I was referring to in the last episode of S2 is where Bartlett is lambasting God in Latin whilst walking up the cathedral after Mrs Landingham's funeral.

Member 5225

Finale of Season 2 is probably one of the best episodes of anything on television

Member 5225

Season 4 is the worst one, I was put off and stopped - I am told subsequent seasons are very good again...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
S4 wasn't as good as the first 3 but it was by no means bad. And yes 5-7 are a return to form.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Im a few episodes into Season 7. Its been a long journey but well worth it.
Coming up to the end of Season 6, sort of stretched it out recently since I went on the massive West Wing splurge during the summer. Just an amazing tv series, each episode gives you a cause to think. Even if Season 5 was average.

Devilton

One of the finest Prime TV shows ever presented to a US Audience. I loved the fact that the writers didn't dumb things down just because it was on network TV. "Two Cathedrals" (season 2 finale) had some of the best writing from any show this decade.

Devilton

I deemed it shit without ever watching. Nothing can compare to The Wire of The Sopranos, nothing
Your loss really. Though if you enjoy The Wire and Sopranos there is a good chance you may not enjoy "The West Wing". HBO shows have the liberty of being more dark and gritty then anything shown on basic cable. Check out "Dexter" and "Brotherhood", both on showtime. You might enjoy them. ;)