The West Wing

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Great show, will always be my 'go to' thing to throw an episode on before bed or whatever.

izzydiggler

My favourite TV show ever and I think the Two Cathedrals episode is the best 45 minutes of TV ever produced...the use of Brothers in Arms is inspired.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So I just discovered (yes, remarkably out of touch) that Obama's White House actually introduced an online version of 'big block of cheese day' from the show...

2014:
2015:
:lol:

izzydiggler

So I just discovered (yes, remarkably out of touch) that Obama's White House actually introduced an online version of 'big block of cheese day' from the show...

2014:
2015:
:lol:
I think 'total crackpots day' is probably appropriate. Ha, I love Leo's briefing to the staff in that episode.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
To be fair the maps were an eye opener.

Keenst

I watched the first season of this a while ago and I just couldn't get past the overly wholesome feel of it and the corny speeches.

Mr Smith

Agreed on both fronts.

Nothing will ever top Two Cathedrals.
I absolutely adore the West Wing, but I'd have to say my favourite episode was probably 20 Hours in America Part I and II, but mainly Part II. Two Cathedrals is a masterpiece, but 20 Hours was just everything great about the West Wing rolled into one, almost like a tribute. For me, those first 5 or 6 episodes from season 4 are the West Wing's absolute peak.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm getting towards the end of the 3rd series, so am torn between wanting to profess my utter love for this show and not wanting to read any massive spoilers. Feels like I'm tip-toeing through televisual land mines right now.

And yeah, 'Two Cathedrals' is one of the best episodes of anything, ever. Bartlett calling out God is a fantastic scene. Also loved 'Let Bartlet be Bartlet'.

The way each episode finds some kind of satisfying resolution, despite multiple threads being on the go, is a mark of pretty exceptional writing.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm getting towards the end of the 3rd series, so am torn between wanting to profess my utter love for this show and not wanting to read any massive spoilers. Feels like I'm tip-toeing through televisual land mines right now.

And yeah, 'Two Cathedrals' is one of the best episodes of anything, ever. Bartlett calling out God is a fantastic scene. Also loved 'Let Bartlet be Bartlet'.

The way each episode finds some kind of satisfying resolution, despite multiple threads being on the go, is a mark of pretty exceptional writing.
I remember the phrase 'you feckless thug' left a strong impression on me. That whole scene is fantastic. Sheen is the boss.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I remember the phrase 'you feckless thug' left a strong impression on me. That whole scene is fantastic. Sheen is the boss.
Yeah, Sheen is the man! I remember the pilot, wondering at first when the president would show up then sort-of forgetting him as I got absorbed in the episode. Then I started thinking, with all these intelligent people running things, does he even do anything other be the nominal figurehead? When he finally shows up and instantly ties things up it's just like...ahhh, so that's why they need him. He just has such gravitas.

The whole cast is great though. It's high quality stuff.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah, Sheen is the man! I remember the pilot, wondering at first when the president would show up then sort-of forgetting him as I got absorbed in the episode. Then I started thinking, with all these intelligent people running things, does he even do anything other be the nominal figurehead? When he finally shows up and instantly ties things up it's just like...ahhh, so that's why they need him. He just has such gravitas.

The whole cast is great though. It's high quality stuff.
The President wasn't even supposed to be a major character, but Bartlet's too awesome to leave out.

Member 5225

Finished re-watching it with Mrs. RiP last night, she hadn't seen it the first time round. She ended up enjoying it (which I didn't necessarily expect) and I enjoyed it as much the second time, though the decrease in quality is particularly notable mid-season 5 to mid-season 6 when you're expecting it. Thank God for the primary/presidential election lifeline they had towards the end of the show. The first four seasons with Sorkin on board are of very consistent quality and the show ranks very high in the 'best shows ever' debates for me, especially when you put it back in the context of when it was first aired.

Really really good show that is incredibly rewarding if it's your thing (I know Nilsson didn't like it at all, probably others as well).
Exact same experience. The missus liked it!

Best...show...ever....

Parma Dewol

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I figure it beats starting a new one!

Was recently at my in-laws house and they were talking about how all the Trump/Brexit/Death on the news was making them feel down. Moment of inspiration, I borrowed them The West Wing box set. They've never seen it, it has a feel-good factor about it, and with US politics certain to feature prominently in the media over the coming months, now seems to be an opportune time to watch all seven seasons.

They're only a few episodes in but they're enjoying it, and we managed to catch one episode only to be reminded how good the show was. If you're looking for a TV show recommendation, The West Wing still ranks highly.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I watched the first season of this a while ago and I just couldn't get past the overly wholesome feel of it and the corny speeches.
Agreed. I like my politicians cynical and slightly useless. The Thick of It and Veep.

DoctorEvil

Always like the show. Started to watch reruns of it recently. A bit nostalgic, but also a reminder on how much I loved the show.

BTW, there is a new podcast, West Wing Weekly, that go over every episode and discuss it in depth. One of the hosts appeared in the show (Joshua Malina), which means that he has interesting insights and stories about the people involved. His connections mean that they have great interviews. I think they interviewed practically all the major figures in the show except Martin Sheen and Robe Low. I think that anyone who loves the show will enjoy the podcast.

djdhrubs

Can I just confirm that (a) this isn't available on blu ray and (b) it's not available on any mainstream streaming service currently?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Can I just confirm that (a) this isn't available on blu ray and (b) it's not available on any mainstream streaming service currently?
a) No but they were remastered in HD for sale via iTunes and Amazon digital.
b) If you have a VPN that works with Netflix I think it's on the American version, but I'm not 100% sure as my VPN stopped working with Netflix a while back. The Netflix version is also HD.

Akshay

Staff
BTW, there is a new podcast, West Wing Weekly, that go over every episode and discuss it in depth. One of the hosts appeared in the show (Joshua Malina), which means that he has interesting insights and stories about the people involved. His connections mean that they have great interviews. I think they interviewed practically all the major figures in the show except Martin Sheen and Robe Low. I think that anyone who loves the show will enjoy the podcast.
Just checked this out, great stuff. Thanks.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's on Sky's streaming service. Not seen it on Netflix though.

Always glad to see my old thread bumped but I always secretly hope it's because they're doing a new season.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's on Sky's streaming service. Not seen it on Netflix though.

Always glad to see my old thread bumped but I always secretly hope it's because they're doing a new season.
The end of the Santos administration, some racist TV celeb "billionaire" running for POTUS?

Kazi

The Wire is the greatest but I couldn't get into this. Maybe it deserves another shot.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The Wire was a let down for me. Always been afraid to say it here though, people really love it here!