Television The Wheel of Time | Thread for the TV show - book nerds shoo

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I listened rather than read the last few books, loved it, there's a seperate voiceover for male and female perspective chapters which is nice.
I was once told that i could get it at Amazon, and first month there is free, is that right? Or do you recommend somewhere else?

Would probably start over from book 1, 8-10 took me years...

Lastwolf

They are all on audible yeah, I think it took me a solid year to listen to them all, each book is like 30 hours of audio

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Kate Reading and Michael Kramer are audiobook GOATS, so I highly endorse listening. I am re-listening to the series now. My library has them in digital format (Libby app) so it has been free so far. Just need to wait some times for a book to be returned.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
How is this on audio book?

I got stuck in book 10, and struggle to get through it, not because i don't love it, i do, i just find it hard to sit still and read.
Book 10 is shit mostly because the storylines that were the focus of the book are boring. Book 11 onwards till the end its great again

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we clean out any book talk while we are at it. I’m only half way through book three so would rather not have any spoilers.

It looks like Season 1 is going to be covering books 1/2 so I’m confident I won’t see any big spoilers but have resigned myself to the likelihood of a couple but I’m not going to have the will power to wait until I’ve read everything.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Can we clean out any book talk while we are at it. I’m only half way through book three so would rather not have any spoilers.

It looks like Season 1 is going to be covering books 1/2 so I’m confident I won’t see any big spoilers but have resigned myself to the likelihood of a couple but I’m not going to have the will power to wait until I’ve read everything.
yes, agree!
I'm stuck in book 10 for like the 5th year, need to get some audio books to get through them.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If they stick to Rand’s relationships in the books I can see an absolute #MeToo minefield blowing up.
I think it depends on how it is framed. 2 of them (Min and Aviendha) are frustrated as to why they are drawn to him, kind of like Mat and Perrin are. I always saw it as the wheel binding those he would need at the final battle to him. From my recollection Rand is never abusive to them and hold them all in extremely high esteem and value. Its been years though as my last attempt at a reread stalled at book 6.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
If they stick to Rand’s relationships in the books I can see an absolute #MeToo minefield blowing up.
I think it depends on how it is framed. 2 of them (Min and Aviendha) are frustrated as to why they are drawn to him, kind of like Mat and Perrin are. I always saw it as the wheel binding those he would need at the final battle to him. From my recollection Rand is never abusive to them and hold them all in extremely high esteem and value. Its been years though as my last attempt at a reread stalled at book 6.
NO BOOK TALK FFS

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
While I understood the book talk seperation in the GoT threads once the series got going, I don't really see the point here right now? All we can talk about is the books and how they will translate onto the screen - or is this supposed to be a discussion thread on an expected 30 second teaser of something no one has an idea about?

harshad

Scout

Kasper

Supports
There is a book thread for that plus the general fantasy book thread where one can talk about the book.

Yes
Well if that's the case 90% of posts so far can be deleted because if we're going by the GoT standards we had, even posts like "Lan looks good but his face should be a bit harder" is a book talk spoiler.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
While I understood the book talk seperation in the GoT threads once the series got going, I don't really see the point here right now? All we can talk about is the books and how they will translate onto the screen - or is this supposed to be a discussion thread on an expected 30 second teaser of something no one has an idea about?
It’s going to be the TV show thread and there’s going to be people who haven’t read all the books yet who don’t want to hear anything from the books which might spoil it.

Would it be overkill to have two thread… one discussing the show with full book spoilers and one with no book talk at all?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I like the idea of reading the books but there’s too fecking many.
And some of them are just a chore to get through. Imagine if The first part of The Two Towers was an entire 800 page book. And there were 3 of them

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
And some of them are just a chore to get through. Imagine if The first part of The Two Towers was an entire 800 page book. And there were 3 of them
I tried reading The Fellowship once but struggled because Tolkien just likes to waffle on.

Kasper

Supports
It’s going to be the TV show thread and there’s going to be people who haven’t read all the books yet who don’t want to hear anything from the books which might spoil it.

Would it be overkill to have two thread… one discussing the show with full book spoilers and one with no book talk at all?
It's not overkill, once the seasons started let's have two, absolutely fine. I just wonder what's the point of having a thread on a series without any content to discuss yet. If you check the superhero XY threads on a new movie it's full of people talking possible comic references etc.
The original GoT thread on here was with plenty of book based discussion, it's just after a while that the book/movie talks got separated.
I mean, I'm not saying we shouldnt spoiler stuff like "I wonder how they will do XY death????" or later book stuff but like I said, even your posts in this thread so far qualify as "book talk" so what exactly is there to talk about.

harshad

Scout
Well if that's the case 90% of posts so far can be deleted because if we're going by the GoT standards we had, even posts like "Lan looks good but his face should be a bit harder" is a book talk spoiler.
Not really. Since there is nothing in such posts about the plot or future events that may or may not get covered in the show. Though there are a couple of posts on the first page which are spoilery and ought to be either put in spoiler tags or deleted.

Sylar

After 10 years of GoT and people still struggling with that thread, ill be surprised if this goes smoothly at all.

Kasper

Supports
Not really. Since there is nothing in such posts about the plot or future events that may or may not get covered in the show. Though there are a couple of posts on the first page which are spoilery and ought to be either put in spoiler tags or deleted.
In the GoT thread a posts like that would've been banned.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It's not overkill, once the seasons started let's have two, absolutely fine. I just wonder what's the point of having a thread on a series without any content to discuss yet. If you check the superhero XY threads on a new movie it's full of people talking possible comic references etc.
The original GoT thread on here was with plenty of book based discussion, it's just after a while that the book/movie talks got separated.
I mean, I'm not saying we shouldnt spoiler stuff like "I wonder how they will do XY death????" or later book stuff but like I said, even your posts in this thread so far qualify as "book talk" so what exactly is there to talk about.
XY dies??!!!!

For feck sake, my favourite character.

Kasper

Supports
XY dies??!!!!

For feck sake, my favourite character.
Before he died he tugged his braid and his face hardened.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wife and I just watched the trailer and she's already marked Nov 19th on the calendar for a WoT/wine/fun food date night!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Oops, sorry. Didn't see which WoT thread this was. Spoilering it now.
Doesn't help if @Pexbo doesn't edit his post :lol:

I thought the trailer was pretty good. Under the terms of this thread being for TV show watchers that don't exist yet, that's as specific as I can be. I enjoyed some aspects, and some other aspects too.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

I thought the trailer was pretty good. Under the terms of this thread being for TV show watchers that don't exist yet, that's as specific as I can be. I enjoyed some aspects, and some other aspects too.
It looks like it’s covering the first two books so I’d love join in a book discussion thread but it will no doubt have discussion beyond those...

nimic

something nice
Scout
It looks like it’s covering the first two books so I’d love join in a book discussion thread but it will no doubt have discussion beyond those...
If this show takes off, maybe we'll need a no spoiler TV thread and a full spoilers TV thread. There's the book thread, which I guess would work for that, but at that point all the discussion would be about the TV programme. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I really, really want this to take off. If it doesn't it'll be because it was bad. Though unlike GoT, at least we'll have a completely separate, finished series of books.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

All I can do is my part. @Pexbo, we can only turn back the wheel if you do your part.

Maxii

Paad
I tried to get into the books twice and couldn’t do it. I’ve heard it’s a slog at the start and then it gets good but I kept falling off the wagon.

I’ll have to give it a go again before this comes out. Think I enjoyed GoT more because I had already read the books.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I tried to get into the books twice and couldn’t do it. I’ve heard it’s a slog at the start and then it gets good but I kept falling off the wagon.

I’ll have to give it a go again before this comes out. Think I enjoyed GoT more because I had already read the books.
I wouldn't say it's a slog. The slog is around books 8-10, but that's mostly a term used by people who read them as they were being published. Reading them now, there's not really any slog (except certain scenes in book 10, and a sequence that spans several books and takes way too long). Book 1 isn't really described as a slog, but it is very similar to Lord of the Rings in structure. If that's boring to you, that might be why. It does very much become its own thing from the 2nd book on.

Edit: this might actually be a spoiler? It's not very specific :angel:

Kasper

Supports
There were some aspects of the trailer that I liked, some things I disliked and some parts where I don't know yet.

The comments under the trailer are amusing, I really forgot how much meme potential the repetitive writing style of Jordan had :lol: