Television The Wheel of Time | Thread for the TV show - book nerds shoo

Moiraine

Those who didn’t like the trailer should do this show a favor by not watching it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Theres one particular scene from the trailer that has hinted at something that I suspected when I read the books but I don’t want to mention it in case I’m right :lol:

Zen86

I can’t remember how or why I started watching. It wasn’t my sort of thing on paper at all. I got into it very quickly though. Probably helped that it was around the time of the LOTR movies. The addition of hardcore swearing, extreme violence and bewbs to that genre made it seem instantly more interesting. I’d say most viewers were hooked from the moment Ned had his head chopped off.
I remember a lot of people saying they weren’t going to watch it anymore as Ned was their favourite character :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't get the GOT thing, same nonsense with the Witcher, other than sharing a genre all 3 are nothing alike in terms of feel, pacing and the world in general.

It's like watching Alien and Interstellar and expecting one to be like the other cause they are both Sci Fi space movies.

Anyone that goes into this expecting GOT will be quickly gone.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I'd say a 50 to 60 run lead for england looking likely but that could prove match winning for sure.
Can’t see that happening with Matt batting with the ruby hilted dagger and a Loial at slip.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I don't get the GOT thing, same nonsense with the Witcher, other than sharing a genre all 3 are nothing alike in terms of feel, pacing and the world in general.

It's like watching Alien and Interstellar and expecting one to be like the other cause they are both Sci Fi space movies.

Anyone that goes into this expecting GOT will be quickly gone.
Character and world building in WoT is excellent to be fair. Not sre if series will do it justice but if done correctly

padr81

Supports
Man City
Character and world building in WoT is excellent to be fair. Not sre if series will do it justice but if done correctly
I don't think it'll be possible with 2 books per season or so, to nail the world building either. My big worries about world building and characters is this is gonna move at 200mph and not have time for all the details, while occasionally it was a slog to read, Jordan was really great with the details. I do think we'll get a lot of merged cast further down the line to prevent bloat etc.. maybe a couple of wise ones getting merged into one character and the same for some mildly important Aes Sedai etc.. Still the trailer has me cautiously optimistic that its at least done by people who love the books.

I'm also curious to see how they handle certain cultures like the Atha an Miere which might be seen as offensive on screen.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I don't think it'll be possible with 2 books per season or so, to nail the world building either. My big worries about world building and characters is this is gonna move at 200mph and not have time for all the details, while occasionally it was a slog to read, Jordan was really great with the details. I do think we'll get a lot of merged cast further down the line to prevent bloat etc.. maybe a couple of wise ones getting merged into one character and the same for some mildly important Aes Sedai etc.. Still the trailer has me cautiously optimistic that its at least done by people who love the books.

I'm also curious to see how they handle certain cultures like the Atha an Miere which might be seen as offensive on screen.
Some story arcs can be completed ignored tbh.. Elayne andor accension and faile kidnapping etc

padr81

Supports
Man City
Some story arcs can be completed ignored tbh.. Elayne andor accension and faile kidnapping etc
I think one or two might happen, the Faile one is one I'd put money on was I having to pick something.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

I'm gonna be nice and spoiler:
Really? Rands character development could've been done with about a third of the books, same goes for Elayne or Egwene. Mat is the one where slow development would be great, Perrin maybe and the power dynamics at the white tower (characters like Siuan are great) also shouldn't be rushed, same for the Black Tower (Mazrim and Logain) and the Forsaken.
I wonder if they introduce most of the characters but kill them here and then to keep the audience interested and have other characters do their story relevant stuff. Because who the heck actually dies before book 12? I think TV audience would like a bit more action.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Why don’t you nerds stop bickering and start a book thread and a separate tv thread like you did in GOT?

Then I can steal your milk money in both of them.
Because I’m only halfway through the third book so I will end up moaning in both.

Sylar

The book comments are certainly going to be taken more seriously, if this gets big and popular.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm gonna be nice and spoiler:
Really? Rands character development could've been done with about a third of the books, same goes for Elayne or Egwene. Mat is the one where slow development would be great, Perrin maybe and the power dynamics at the white tower (characters like Siuan are great) also shouldn't be rushed, same for the Black Tower (Mazrim and Logain) and the Forsaken.
I wonder if they introduce most of the characters but kill them here and then to keep the audience interested and have other characters do their story relevant stuff. Because who the heck actually dies before book 12? I think TV audience would like a bit more action.
I agree with most of that but still think 2 books per season or so will move stupidly fast, maybe not for the middle books where you could probably get 5 into 1 episode. In the book thread I've made my feelings on Rand and Mat clear before.

Might be best for those of us in the know to take our discussion to there and leave this thread completely devoid of book discussion before I feck up and predict a timeline.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wheel-of-time.311227/

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone.

From the Dragon Reborn
By Loial, son of Arent son of Halan , the Fourth Age.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What I've said is not spoilers. If you don't want peole to talk about the books or series, then don't open the thread about it ffs
This is a TV series thread as denoted by the category it’s been set to. If you want to discuss the book there is already a book thread for that.

Sylar

What I've said is not spoilers. If you don't want peole to talk about the books or series, then don't open the thread about it ffs
I'm not too fussed (yet) but tbf it is the tv thread and normally goes without saying not to talk about other sources

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That's really not how it works as you well know you naughty wee scamp. Although I do blame the OP for not making it clear that this is the TV thread. @Damien - could you change the thread title to stop book nerds spoiling.

Not really all that interested in this show, the trailer didn't really inspire me to watch it. They could and should have done a better job with the opening trailer if their objective is to try and bring new people into watching it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That's really not how it works as you well know you naughty wee scamp. Although I do blame the OP for not making it clear that this is the TV thread. @Damien - could you change the thread title to stop book nerds spoiling.

Not really all that interested in this show, the trailer didn't really inspire me to watch it. They could and should have done a better job with the opening trailer if their objective is to try and bring new people into watching it.
Done, but yeah I can imagine this thread being as big a pain as the GOT thread to moderate.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I genuinely don't know the original source — going by the reaction I assume that it's a classic? I share the same worries as the few posters above me — visually it looks just as clean as CW or Netflix shows (and CGI looks cheap which is not a good look for a show that, going by the trailer, is going to use a lot of it).

nimic

something nice
Scout
I genuinely don't know the original source — going by the reaction I assume that it's a classic? I share the same worries as the few posters above me — visually it looks just as clean as CW or Netflix shows (and CGI looks cheap which is not a good look for a show that, going by the trailer, is going to use a lot of it).
I think conclusions about how "clean" it looks are pointless based on a short trailer.

I'd say it's a classic, yes. One of the best-selling fantasy series ever.

harms

Staff
I think conclusions about how "clean" it looks are pointless based on a short trailer.
Nah, it's how literally every character looks — a girl in the middle of a forest with full make up & one little perfectly placed line of dirt to show that she's just been through some stuff. Flawlessly shaved guys with barbershop hairstyles and pristine clothing in what looks like a village tavern. Etc.

I'm not even talking about Rosamund Pike who looks like a powerful magical being so that ideal ageless look makes sense. Just about the regular non-magic folk.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Nah, it's how literally every character looks — a girl in the middle of a forest with full make up & one little perfectly placed line of dirt to show that she's just been through some stuff. Flawlessly shaved guys with barbershop hairstyles and pristine clothing in what looks like a village tavern. Etc.

I'm not even talking about Rosamund Pike who looks like a powerful magical being so that ideal ageless look makes sense. Just about the regular non-magic folk.
I mean, maybe, but here's Jon Snow:

Robb Stark:

Sansa:

Ygritte the wildling:

The Wheel of Time isn't set in the middle ages either, and in any case it's a myth that everyone living in a village was always dirty and dressed in drab clothes. Now I'm definitely not saying it's going to be good, look good or really do anything well. I just think it's silly to base opinions on two-second shots of characters in a teaser trailer. The options aren't just grimdark or CW.

harms

Staff
The Wheel of Time isn't set in the middle ages either, and in any case it's a myth that everyone living in a village was always dirty and dressed in drab clothes. Now I'm definitely not saying it's going to be good, look good or really do anything well. I just think it's silly to base opinions on two-second shots of characters in a teaser trailer. The options aren't just grimdark or CW.
There's a world of difference between pristine and not dirty — but for me it's clear that the stuff in the trailer is not somewhere in the middle. Anyway, we clearly won't agree on that, so I'm going to let it go (although not before noticing that Sansa and Rob are at full parade and Jon Snow is straight from a promo shot). GoT, like literally any (well, unless it's something intentionally gore like German's Hard to be a God) fantasy adaptation will be shinier and cleaner than it would be in "reality". But, at least for me, there's still a line when the fantasy world starts to look fake.

We'll see. I'm still going to watch that anyway, at least at the beginning, hopefully I'm wrong.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I mean, maybe, but here's Jon Snow:

Robb Stark:

Sansa:

Ygritte the wildling:

Those people are all royalty bar Ygritte, who might have just got out of a very pleasurable bath, and two of them are in formal attire. Not really the best example to use.