Television The Wheel of Time | Thread for the TV show - book nerds shoo

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
:lol:
I rarely watch new shows straight away, I usually binge them after they’ve stopped airing. Even so with how slow I read books these days 8 yes are might still be a struggle
You only have 11 554 pages left to read if you already read the first book (344 pages) :lol: Most books are 8-900 pages long :D

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You only have 11 554 pages left to read if you already read the first book (344 pages) :lol: Most books are 8-900 pages long :D
It was a while ago that I read it but I’m sure it was more than 344 pages, the thing was massive!

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
There's 14 of them and the TV series starts airing in three weeks, so that's plenty of time.
Doesn't need to finish all of them, just the first three should be fine for S1.

Doesn’t look too bad.

I really disliked the first book, but everyone tells me it gets a lot better. I’d like to read them before I watch the show.
Do you like women who smooth their skirts and tug their braids?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The second book is brilliant, and the third book is spectacular. If you still don't like it after those two you can safely put the books down and never try again.
That’s pretty much what my friend who got me the books told me, he also said once I was a little deeper into the series I’d find the firstbook retroactively (I really doubt I’m using that word correctly)more enjoyable

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The trailer did a much better job at marketing the show than the teaser. Before I was like meh but now I'm like hmmm.

wr8_utd

:'(
Went for a special screening of this tonight where they aired the first two episodes and as a fan of the books, I really did enjoy it. The first episode especially stays very true to the books. I think they've gone a bit "darker" with the show and maybe cut away the lighter hearted vein of the books but I think it was a really solid start.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Went for a special screening of this tonight where they aired the first two episodes and as a fan of the books, I really did enjoy it. The first episode especially stays very true to the books. I think they've gone a bit "darker" with the show and maybe cut away the lighter hearted vein of the books but I think it was a really solid start.
Fantastic news! In honor of Emond's Field and the Winespring Inn my wife planned out a meal of beef stew, honey cake and apple brandy. Glad to hear that we will enjoy the show with the food!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Glad to hear it’s good, very excited for it. Really interested to see how they condense it into a show.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
First three episodes out tomorrow then it'll be a weekly thing. First season has 8 episodes total i believe. Might not have the food set up like WI_Red but I'll be enjoying it with the finest home grown kush in south east Asia.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
First three episodes out tomorrow then it'll be a weekly thing. First season has 8 episodes total i believe. Might not have the food set up like WI_Red but I'll be enjoying it with the finest home grown kush in south east Asia.
She found this website ( Food - Tar Valon Library ) and I think we have multiple themed dinners coming up. I am the chef in the family so I guess I'll find out when the recipe and ingredients show up on Fridays. Lamb stew is up next :drool:.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
She found this website ( Food - Tar Valon Library ) and I think we have multiple themed dinners coming up. I am the chef in the family so I guess I'll find out when the recipe and ingredients show up on Fridays. Lamb stew is up next :drool:.
Good food, good entertainment followed by some Saidar/Saidin shenanigans Enjoy buddy ;)

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Was there a special screening in Mumbai?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So I started this a few weeks ago. I’m a slow reader, as I. I always fall asleep reading :lol:

mill probably watch the first episode tomorrow to help me visualise the characters then carry on with the first book before I watch the rest

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
3 this Friday and one every Friday for the following 5 weeks with the last on Christmas Eve!
Thanks, guess I'll wait a month or so before bothering to start watching. That way if its any good, I don't have to wait ages for the next episode.

Bobski

Wheel of Shannara.

Not impressed. Only watched the first 2 episodes, apparently the 3rd is the best of those released so far but I think its inferior to even the The Witcher. Some of the little animated shorts they released were really quite impressive, got me all excited but not a promising start. Bland and generic and rather charmless.

Last edited:

Hamnat

I watched the first 3 last night. I have no knowledge of the books at all so I just went in completely fresh. The story was interesting I guess I am a sucker for fantasy etc. so I generally liked the first 3 episodes. There is clearly a lot of worldbuilding to do here so I think they started off pretty ok in that regard. The characters I can give them time to grow on me. I am not blown away but I will watch more.

The CGI for one of these marquee streaming shows was a bit janky I thought especially the magic scenes in episode 1. Bezos could have given them a few more dollars on that imo. But, it wasn't horrific.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The amount of time it's taking to cast some of these spells for fecks sake, she could have been absolutely marmalised by the time she got the end results.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mmmm....not sure i like the direction they took. Personally always found the light hearted bits to be the good parts of the books, so the decision to gritty, ugly and depressing it up is a choice i don't particularly care for

Some of the changes they made work well, others, not so sure. Spent the first 3 episodes wondering what ever happened with Thom but i must say i liked what they did with him. Mat's broken family, and Perrin now being married and accidentally killing his wife, not so much...i don't know, makes Perrin less believable to me, and Mat going from happy-go-lucky lovable rogue to depressing, desperate survivor of domestic abuse....no thanks

The episodes are allright all in all, considering the material they're adapting is boring as hell right now, the faster pacing is a good choice and the detour in the little mining colony works much better than its book equivalent, with the character of Dana actually being more and better fleshed out than Jordan ever bothered with the "darkfriends", including her motivations not being utterly cartoonish...

I am guessing/hoping they're giving Best Girl the Thom treatment here then and she'll show up next episode...

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Just saw the first two episodes. Early thoughts:

Nature is mvp. Some gorgeous landscapes

Didn't like the exposition to start episode 1 , felt that first 30 minutes was a bit weak. The characters/actors weren't as charismatic as I hoped.

Shadar Logoth was sweet.

bucky

Wheel of Shannara.

Not impressed. Only watched the first 2 episodes, apparently the 3rd is the best of those released so far but I think its inferior to even the The Witcher. Some of the little animated shorts they released were really quite impressive, got me all excited but not a promising start. Bland and generic and rather charmless.
Agree with this.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I know nothing about this, my missus is watching it.

The main thing that sticks out is how terrible the costumes and overall look is. They all look so clean and groomed! And the ginger emo twat is walking around in a pristine sheepskin coat with a fresh cut.

diarm

The main thing that sticks out is how terrible the costumes and overall look is. They all look so clean and groomed! And the ginger emo twat is walking around in a pristine sheepskin coat with a fresh cut.
I thought the exact same.

Ginger shepherd living halfway up a mountain with his dad and no mum. Yet he has access to a new Mach 3 blade every morning and more hair product than Jamie bloody Redknapp.

I do like some of it. Lan is well cast and the trollocs looked good. The scene with the questioner burning the Aes Sedai at the White Cloaks camp was excellent.

But the way they rushed through the Two Rivers stuff cheapened the background of the main characters.

Some of the writing and dialogue is awful and while the combat choreography during the trollocs attack was ok if you kept your attention on the front of the screen, a glance at background would make a Sand Snake blush.

I'll watch it because I loved the books as a kid and never got to finish them after he died. I can't see myself going back and starting them all over again so this will have to do.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Why shouldn’t they be clean?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I thought the exact same.

Ginger shepherd living halfway up a mountain with his dad and no mum. Yet he has access to a new Mach 3 blade every morning and more hair product than Jamie bloody Redknapp.
Not to mention the huge battle, and then journey through the forest and on mud trails, place swimming in a muddy river...all whilst living in those times, and all the background actors looking more grubby. Also right at the start the witch woman comments about a place like that even having a bath.

Yeah, why shouldn't the main cast all be clean and groomed. Makes total sense!

Why shouldn’t they be clean?
Why would they be clean and freshly groomed?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why would they be clean and freshly groomed?
People in the 1600-1700s generally weren't that dirty. People in the middle ages weren't really that dirty either, for that matter, it's just that Game of Thrones has led us to believe that anyone who isn't a noble lived in a sackcloth and never bathed. Also, razors aren't a particularly new technology.

That said, this post really makes me nostalgic for @Spoony in the Lost thread, and I appreciate that.

diarm

People in the 1600-1700s generally weren't that dirty. People in the middle ages weren't really that dirty either, for that matter, it's just that Game of Thrones has led us to believe that anyone who isn't a noble lived in a sackcloth and never bathed. Also, razors aren't a particularly new technology.
Nah mate. I live in South Dublin in 2021 and I don't see people on the street as well groomed as those feckers.

The whole show looks like a Halloween party on Made in Chelsea.