Television The Wheel of Time | Thread for the TV show - book nerds shoo

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
People in the 1600-1700s generally weren't that dirty. People in the middle ages weren't really that dirty either, for that matter, it's just that Game of Thrones has led us to believe that anyone who isn't a noble lived in a sackcloth and never bathed. Also, razors aren't a particularly new technology.

That said, this post really makes me nostalgic for @Spoony in the Lost thread, and I appreciate that.
:lol: True.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I have no clue about Wheel of Time, this show is my only exposure to it.

First episode was a little bland but picked up at the end. Monsters looked good.

I know shows need eye-candy but the ginger looks like he belongs in One Direction, for feck sake. Even Game of Thrones pretty boys had a bit of scruff about them.

The vistas are impressive.

The big climax at the end of the first episode was funny. Big triumphant music, spell-weaving and in the end she fecked about a dozen rocks at them. The fire and body-ripping spells before it were far cooler.

I don't think Michael McElhatton have ever turned down an acting gig. He is in everything.

Maxii

Paad
Just watched the first episode. Was okay I guess but thought it was average at best. Still early days so hope it improves. I thought the spell casting looked a bit shite to be honest, you’d think with the budget Amazon could have thrown at this it would be a lot better looking.

The scenery is amazing though.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Hmm. Good enough to watch it but I am disappointed. I loved the books as a child but forgot many details.

WoT reminds me a bit of older fantasy/sci-fi series that looked cheap, while other series already showed that you can have top class quality in these kinds of settings. Its not the end of the world but a bit disappointing considering that I dont expect improvement in this regard. The changes to the story compared to the books are fairly random, but it was decent enough and there is plenty of room to grow in the future.

Rosamund Pike as Moiraine must be the least original/interesting casting of all time. I like the main characters so.

Last edited:

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I loved the three episodes, disappointed we didn't linger in Shadar Logoth a bit longer though as it was my favourite part of the first book.
Don't worry, as a book nerd I won't give any spoilers disguised as predictions.

Funny thing though, I watch a fair few Spanish shows and movies and the cast of Money Heist and Elite, in particular, pop up in every one, so it's funny seeing the professor in a non-Spanish show.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The first episode is definitely the weakest. Reviewers have generally said it keeps getting better, so that's promising. I quite enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd episodes, though obviously I am a filthy book reader so I'm invested in it. Though that also means that if it turns out really bad (like GoT S8) I'll hate it more than anyone else.

Bebe

Avid book reader, was very happy with those first 3 eps.

Edit: As others have noted, Moiraine using the One Power in the first ep looked pretty shit. There are also far too many "characters run away from something and randomly trip all the time" scenes, and they drag on for far too long.

Bobski

I really hope this gets successful and we end up with a fantastic RPG set in that world, in that timeline, talk about childhood(and later) fantasies coming true.

Episode 3 is odd, some great stuff and some terrible at the same time.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Expected PC and they're really going for it, along with some random changes. Written for a younger audience, so guess shouldn't expect the show to be any different. Watchable. 5/10 so far

Kazi

Half way through the second ep.

The acting of these four chosen ones are terrible.. can’t get behind any of them

Bobski

People surprised at diversity in WOT were not really paying attention when reading, or else too much to the god awful covers. Jordan could be rather ambiguous about it all but there were descriptions that could have been read as the people in the Two Rivers area being of a darker complexion.

Once they go into the larger world it should be massively diverse, it is one of themes of the books really, these sheltered kids discovering all these different cultures and people.

Anyway, a few extra thoughts;

I have my doubts about how they are setting up the possibility of the DR being male or female. Not for some anti progressive BS, but how it impacts the nature of the character. Fairly weak establishment of how feared and hated male channelers are in that world, how destructive they can be. The narrative tension comes from the Dragon Reborn being needed but also being an utterly terrifying figure because he will be a male channeler, doomed to madness, death and chaos. So to just tell a group of farm kids bluntly that one of them is this figure should have been a far more significant moment. Pacing a real issue early on, rushing them out of the two rivers, probably in part to get past the inevitable LOTR opening similarities. I wish they had given us some of the prologue, maybe a little at the start of every episode, probably the best part of the first book.

Some of the best scenes, or maybe a better way to put it, is the closest to the feel of the books, have been between Moraine and Egwene discussing the one power, real promise there. The scenery has been spectacular as well.

Last edited:

diarm

It's going to suffer a bit from the once a week episodes to be honest.

Like Game of Thrones, where everybody loved it when you first discovered it and could binge the first 2/3/4 seasons at once and get totally immersed and invested in the story.

Things are a little different when you have to wait a week in the real world between episodes and it's not so easy to completely invest yourself in the goings on of wizards, dragons and magic.

Moiraine

Disappointed by first episode, everything was so rushed. Could have been two episodes instead of one. Second and third are brilliant and give me hope for the show. Looking forward to this now!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Disappointed by first episode, everything was so rushed. Could have been two episodes instead of one. Second and third are brilliant and give me hope for the show. Looking forward to this now!
I won’t be a hypocrite and indulge in the details of book talk but I’ve accepted the fact this is going to move much much quicker than the books and as such some things will be skipped, some skimmed over and some things changed for the screen.

As @Bobski mentioned though, some things are integral to the plot and surely can’t be messed with?

wr8_utd

:'(
I loved the three episodes, disappointed we didn't linger in Shadar Logoth a bit longer though as it was my favourite part of the first book.
Don't worry, as a book nerd I won't give any spoilers disguised as predictions.

Funny thing though, I watch a fair few Spanish shows and movies and the cast of Money Heist and Elite, in particular, pop up in every one, so it's funny seeing the professor in a non-Spanish show.
Couldn't agree more. They did a good job of depicting SL but really wish we had enough episodes to spend more time in there. It was one of my favorite early part of the books.

b82REZ

Watched the first episode. Very meh.

Also why does what I assume will be the main character dress like a hipster?

Bobski

One thing that has been grating on me is how poorly they are conveying scale, the world feels tiny, an odd comment about how long they need to be traveling to get to the places might establish this. As it is this vague "heading east" while still being perfectly presented, never changing clothes, with barely a smudge of dirt on them makes it look like an afternoon stroll between locations.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Think it's been okay so far. Having read the book ages ago, few spoilered q's from me as I can't recall:

1. Weren't the kids younger? Was Perrin really married before butchering his missus?
2. The dragon has to be a man, surely? How could it be a woman, surely that's an enormous plot hole? She could just control the power, and everything is peachy?
3. I love the opening of the books, sad they didn't go with that. Where are the bumbling bad guys?

I like the diverse casting. Only thing I can't get used to is the constant talking about Higuian. ;)

Bobski

Think it's been okay so far. Having read the book ages ago, few spoilered q's from me as I can't recall:

1. Weren't the kids younger? Was Perrin really married before butchering his missus?
2. The dragon has to be a man, surely? How could it be a woman, surely that's an enormous plot hole? She could just control the power, and everything is peachy?
3. I love the opening of the books, sad they didn't go with that. Where are the bumbling bad guys?

I like the diverse casting. Only thing I can't get used to is the constant talking about Higuian. ;)

1. Yes they were, and no Perrin was not married. I think ageing them up is the correct choice for a TV format, makes it easier to believe when they start to accomplish things. Not convinced by the Perrin marriage plot but i do think making Rand and Egwene more of a serious relationship sets up a lot of interesting conflict down the road.
2. Yes, has to be misdirection surely, have not really established the Taint as yet, or the 2 Male/Female side of the one power(which may be a choice looking to avoid the inevitable accusations of trans-phobia)
3. Might have been an issue of casting and cost, LTT and Ishmael, only to not be seen again for a while, have read a few theories that it may be included later in the season.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1. Ok with the ageing up of the characters for the reasons @Bobski mentioned.
2. No happy with the Perin/marriage plot change as it may cause issue with Faile.
3. Really worried they are going to dispose of the Saidar/Saidin dynamic and just go with a "one power" concept. Already some hints of this with Moraine saying the Dragon Reborn could be any of them (man or woman) and also when Liandrin tell Logain that men taint the power when they touch it instead of the reverse.
4. Wish they had spent more time in SL
5. Like what they are doing with the white cloaks. I am guessing the old dude was daddy Bornhald. I hope they bring Byar in as he is an excellent foil for Perin.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
1. Yes they were, and no Perrin was not married. I think ageing them up is the correct choice for a TV format, makes it easier to believe when they start to accomplish things. Not convinced by the Perrin marriage plot but i do think making Rand and Egwene more of a serious relationship sets up a lot of interesting conflict down the road.
2. Yes, has to be misdirection surely, have not really established the Taint as yet, or the 2 Male/Female side of the one power(which may be a choice looking to avoid the inevitable accusations of trans-phobia)
3. Might have been an issue of casting and cost, LTT and Ishmael, only to not be seen again for a while, have read a few theories that it may be included later in the season.
Thanks, yeah ok my memory hasn't completely given up. My 2c on 2:
If this is some weird PC attempt to remain neutral on the taint it will be a huge mistake. That's such an integral part of Rand and everyone's psychology. It has to exist like in the books or else it's going to fall apart imo.

Meant to say I think they've already made Mat more sympathetic than the books, I actually get him more in the show (certainly than the first few books).

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The angsty red-head Ryan Phillipe wanna-be can feck off. Hopefully he does a Jaime Lannister and becomes interesting.

I would totally rock his rawhide jacket though.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The angsty red-head Ryan Phillipe wanna-be can feck off. Hopefully he does a Jaime Lannister and becomes interesting.

I would totally rock his rawhide jacket though.
That is actually a bang on description of first half of series Rand.

Bobski

That is actually a bang on description of first half of series Rand.
To be fair, his angst and self hatred are perfectly understandable for the character, and a key thing for the series to understand and show. He has one of the best character arcs in the genre, maybe a little tropey, but to get the most out of it they really need to show that in universe fear of men who can channel.

nimic

something nice
Scout

The boys were 20 in the books, they aren't aged up in the show. Egwene is aged up.

Bobski

The boys were 20 in the books, they aren't aged up in the show. Egwene is aged up.
18 in the books aren't they, with Egwene 16?

So, a negligible difference in terms of age, but perhaps a better way to put it would be they have been matured up, WOT does mature as it goes along but the first couple of books are a lot milder in tone, even with some horrific things happening, they are still a very innocent group. That would not work as a TV show.

nimic

something nice
Scout
18 in the books aren't they, with Egwene 16?

So, a negligible difference in terms of age, but perhaps a better way to put it would be they have been matured up, WOT does mature as it goes along but the first couple of books are a lot milder in tone, even with some horrific things happening, they are still a very innocent group. That would not work as a TV show.
They were born in 978 NE in the books, The Eye of the World takes place in 998. Egwene is 17 in the books, I think. They definitely matured them up a bit, which makes sense as you say. It's nothing as severe as the ageing up in GoT, though that was definitely the right choice too. 14 year old Young Wolf wouldn't have worked too well.

Revan

Assumptionman
Enjoyed the premier, felt that the next two were a bit boring.

I think it is alright, but closer to The Witcher in quality, rather than GoT who had a magnificent first season.

Also, the new actors seem to be all a bit meh. Rosamund Pike is just so much better than anyone near her, to the point that the others look amateurs.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finding it a bit boring so far. The CGI is bad & the characters are all bland.

b82REZ

I'm sure eventually it'll be completely serviceable as a fantasy TV show. However GoT raised that bar so high in its early seasons it makes everything poor in comparison.

By the end of episode one of Thrones I couldn't wait for the next one, WoT and The Witcher just seem to plod along. They aren't bad by any stretch but they aren't as exciting or as well made as GoT.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The first episode felt exactly like a trailer — a CW-show with a bigger budget (none of that money were spent on CGI though). Not sure if it's worth watching further?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
The first episode felt exactly like a trailer — a CW-show with a bigger budget (none of that money were spent on CGI though). Not sure if it's worth watching further?
I made it to the 3rd episode. I'm enjoying it but I'm biased to anything fantasy related. I would watch a shit fantasy show over a well made show from a different category.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That bit from The Washington's Post review had made me chuckle :lol:
Despite her most dedicated efforts, Pike’s no match for marijuana-friendly but limply grandiose lines like, “The wheel of time turns and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again.”

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Finding it a bit boring so far. The CGI is bad & the characters are all bland.
This. I also do not like the tone of the show. The way they speak, the language do not fit the setting of the show.
This is a huge minus for me.

Lastwolf

1. I thought so too as the way they acted was like 15-16 at least in the first boo, so I looked it up. Turns out not really, Rand is remarked as being 20, the story takes place over at most 2 years at that point. So only slightly.

2. It does need to be a man, stupid change that fundimentally misunderstands how the, in lore, world works, I assume it's a fudge to dodge any sexism complaints or a short hand to highlight how important Egwene is. It was weird weird thing to do as the "mystery" as to who is the dragon is over in book 1 and Robert Jordan stated she's not ta'veren. They didn't need to do the same for Nynaeve and she's arguably way more important to the story.

3. That whole first episode was a fecking mess to be fair, I felt like a ropey pilot that wasn't sure where it was going.