Television The Wheel of Time | Thread for the TV show - book nerds shoo

Bobski

Weird that Amazon will be doing LOTR and WOT at the same time, until Martin exploded via HBO those are probably the 2 biggest fantasy series of all time, might be a problem of focus.

I have concerns over how Wot, which on the surface is rather tame compared to Game of Thrones(but very much in keeping with traditional fantasy from that time) will be received by the modern audience. It has some very dark themes as it progresses but it might not catch the attention immediately as much as GOT's tit fest did. I expected the diverse casting, though that could lessen the impact of the main characters journey, much of which is discovering the vast diversity and cultural differences of the wider world.

Actors perhaps a little too old for the characters they are supposed to be playing.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
No spoilers in here please, i am at book 10 :nono:

Wondering if i should finish this on audiobook, just to have sort of finished it in time.
Think the cast looks alright.

When i watched Once upon a time (the series) i wanted this one to be Elaida, she fit perfectly with how i imagined her!
And she played an evil role in the show.

Lana Maria Parrilla

Revan

Assumptionman
Weird that Amazon will be doing LOTR and WOT at the same time, until Martin exploded via HBO those are probably the 2 biggest fantasy series of all time, might be a problem of focus.

I have concerns over how Wot, which on the surface is rather tame compared to Game of Thrones(but very much in keeping with traditional fantasy from that time) will be received by the modern audience. It has some very dark themes as it progresses but it might not catch the attention immediately as much as GOT's tit fest did. I expected the diverse casting, though that could lessen the impact of the main characters journey, much of which is discovering the vast diversity and cultural differences of the wider world.

Actors perhaps a little too old for the characters they are supposed to be playing.
They said that the show will be more mature, have less good vs evil (so more multi-dimensional characters) and that it will have nudity/sex.

All they need to add is more deaths. Start killing characters that don't die in the books.

wr8_utd

:'(
So excited for this to happen! For years I've wanted a TV series on this and it's finally just a year away from happening :drool:

MadMike

I don't know peeps. I'm really not feeling the Moraine thing at all...

Firstly, she's a character that in the books appears as mysterious, enigmatic, distant, often expressionless, cold, a fair bit arrogant (like all Aes Sedai) and generally of few words until later in the story. That's not a character to build as the protagonist from the start. That's not something one can easily warm up to. Any of the the Two Rivers kids that start as human, warm and innocent but eventually become the protagonists would work a lot better. Your main character has to be someone the audience can originally feel closer to. Like a Harry Potter or Frodo. Not Gandalf or Dumbledore...

Secondly, I like Pike as an actress but a 5f9in blonde does not a very short brunette make. And she's very clearly described as a short brunette in the books.

I feel these departures from the books portend some major changes to the story arc which (knowing how I like faithful adaptations) means I probably won't enjoy it as much.

Last edited:

Moiraine

Just saw the Wheel of Time theme

Composed by Nikhil Koparkar... Impressive!

Moiraine

Plus

They have casted the 2nd main character “Lan”

Revan

Assumptionman
I always imagined Lan as Aragorn (cause you know, he is essentially Aragorn if Aragorn was the 10th main character), however the Northern nations are supposed to be Asian-looking, right?

Moiraine

I always imagined Lan as Aragorn (cause you know, he is essentially Aragorn if Aragorn was the 10th main character), however the Northern nations are supposed to be Asian-looking, right?
There is a mixed opinion about it. Some fans who have followed this fantasy closely say they imagined Lan as some Tibetan lookalike.
I pictured him as jaguen h'ghar type person.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
however the Northern nations are supposed to be Asian-looking, right?
Only Kandor has distinct Asian (Japanese) names. I've always placed Lan as more Nordic/Viking'esque than Asian. However Daniel does fit the description, taller than Moiraine (He's 6'2 to Rosamund's 5'9 and Zoe's 5'8) and abit dour looking. All he needs is to be stone faced and utter comments with lots of gravitas. Reckon he should fit in.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Only Kandor has distinct Asian (Japanese) names. I've always placed Lan as more Nordic/Viking'esque than Asian. However Daniel does fit the description, taller than Moiraine (He's 6'2 to Rosamund's 5'9 and Zoe's 5'8) and abit dour looking. All he needs is to be stone faced and utter comments with lots of gravitas. Reckon he should fit in.
Nah. Even Sheinarans had distinctly asian features.

Moiraine

Latest Tweet from wotonprime
Cast has gathered at filming location. Strange that three of the main characters have not been cast yet (Thom Merrilin, Tam el Thor and Padin Fain). I wonder who will get these roles.

Moiraine

First table read by the cast.

Looks like the actor who played Roose Bolton is going to play some major role. Mat’s line was just a joy to listen...

Sylar

First table read by the cast.

Looks like the actor who played Roose Bolton is going to play some major role. Mat’s line was just a joy to listen...
Michael McElhatton has got such a smooth voice.

Eric's Seagull

Only got up to reading about book 6. But that was over 10 years ago. Going to listen on audio book before I watch series but just read it will take 19 days 5 hours and 25 minutes to listen to all books plus prequel. So I have a fair bit of listening to do.

GazTheLegend

The Wheel of Time was better than GOT
Wow

Just... wow.

For a start, Robert Jordan clearly does not understand women at all.

How many paragraphs on the pleating of skirts, the folding of arms and the touching of hair do we need.

All of his female characters follow a familiar “beautiful BITCH” archetype and it’s painful to read.

I got to the 1/3 through the second book which wasn’t really going anywhere and I was done, couldn’t read another 7 books of pleated skirt bitchiness.

Game of Thrones is an infinitely superior read.

I do hope the series is good, and transferring the pleating of skirts to the small screen seems oddly modern, and will definitely be watching.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wow

Just... wow.

For a start, Robert Jordan clearly does not understand women at all.

How many paragraphs on the pleating of skirts, the folding of arms and the touching of hair do we need.

All of his female characters follow a familiar “beautiful BITCH” archetype and it’s painful to read.

I got to the 1/3 through the second book which wasn’t really going anywhere and I was done, couldn’t read another 7 books of pleated skirt bitchiness.

Game of Thrones is an infinitely superior read.

I do hope the series is good, and transferring the pleating of skirts to the small screen seems oddly modern, and will definitely be watching.
Its all opinion my friend, GOT went to shit since a Feast for Crows, still will finish it but its been an absolute chore at times. Then we had the TV show...

GazTheLegend

Its all opinion my friend, GOT went to shit since a Feast for Crows, still will finish it but its been an absolute chore at times. Then we had the TV show...
Yea I respect that. Feast for crows was ok at best.

Wheel of time might be a better show than book - they could easily cut down on the filler (the aforementioned women bitching nonstop)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yea I respect that. Feast for crows was ok at best.

Wheel of time might be a better show than book - they could easily cut down on the filler (the aforementioned women bitching nonstop)
:lol: Honestly I think the show will most likely be shit but I’m hopeful. While I didn’t like the GOT TV Series HBO did produce it very well. I doubt that Amazon can but I could be wrong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Literally just finished Book 1 this morning after putting it down for 6 months :)

Fingeredmouse

I assume they're heavily editing the content or there'll need to be 74 episodes a series (or season since this is American)?
Of which 7% will be braid tugging.

Revan

Assumptionman
I assume they're heavily editing the content or there'll need to be 74 episodes a series (or season since this is American)?
Cannot wait for the episode when Elayne takes a bath. They really should do a Flie-like episode (Breaking Bad) for that event.

nimic

something nice
Scout
There are a lot of descriptions, so that will obviously have to be done differently in the television format. There's an awful lot of story too, though, so there will definitely loads of compromises made. Characters will be cut or merged, or moved in time, storylines as well, and places. You can't really have characters showing up in an episode in Season 1, and then have them return in Season 6 (or whatever). Then you end up with plenty of recasts. Nor can you have 14 seasons. So Season 1 will probably be books 1+2, for example.

It will suck to miss out on some favoured characters or storylines, but it's quite literally unavoidable so I won't really hold it against the writers.

From what I've seen of the production and heard from the creator and actors, I am quietly optimistic. It might be awful, but then we've lost nothing because the books are still there. And the series is done in any case, so we can't get a GoT situation where the books have been significantly delayed by the series - or a situation where a poor ending to the series sours me on the books as well.

I think she'll be great. She's obviously nothing like the book character in physical appearance, but that doesn't really matter. She'll also play a larger role in the series (at least to begin with) than in the books, for a few different reasons.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Literally just finished Book 1 this morning after putting it down for 6 months :)
If you liked it you should love 2 and 3. Honestly, you should like all of them, so don't let anyone convince you you're not supposed to (it's quite popular to try).

Also don't read the prequel New Spring until you're at least a few books in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you liked it you should love 2 and 3. Honestly, you should like all of them, so don't let anyone convince you you're not supposed to (it's quite popular to try).

Also don't read the prequel New Spring until you're at least a few books in.
I loved it, I’ve found it hard to make time to read recently but realised I had a bunch of audible credits to use so downloaded the audio book and have been listening to it on my walks in the morning and weekend and ended up doing 17 hours of walking over the last week to get through the half of the book I hadn’t read. Already downloaded book 2 :drool:

djembatheking

I read The Eye of the World 30 years ago and I can still remember the opening chapters , brilliant , really looking forward to this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Phenomenal series. Hope it translates well into show format.