The Winter and Summer Sale of 2022

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Our squad at the moment feels quite «bloated» and the biggest disappointment of the summer window was perhaps our inability to sell players. Perhaps not a surprise, as we all knew it would be hard due to the effect of the Covid. But still a disappointment. Both due to making our squad expensive and deadwood blocking younger players. And also for some of the players themself who want and deserve to play.

The next couple of windows we will probably (try to) sell;

- Martial
- van de Beek
- Henderson?
- Dalot
- Williams?
- Bailly/Tuanzebe?
- Chong
- Pereira
- Bernard?

While players like Jones, Mata, Lingard, Cavani and Pogba looks likely to leave to free.

We have not been good at selling players. It seems a recurring theme is that we pay our players too much, and that other clubs consequently cant afford them. And certainly cant afford to pay money for them on top of taking over their salary. It will be interesting to see if we have learned from past mistakes when looking to shift a few of these players (as some of them arrived or signed a new contract quite recently).

Considering the story around Brandon Williams this summer, the contract Henderson signed in the summer of ‘20 I’m not very optimistic. It would be interesting to know how much Judge (or whoever is in charge) has managed to cost our club in lost transfer fees. I really hope this is something our new CEO will address.

But for now, lets hope we somehow manage to trim our squad within the next year or so. So, how many of the players above will we be able to sell or move on? And how much will we raise from player sales the next two windows?

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I think the opposite, I think we’ll be thin. Ronnie, Cavani, Pogba, Pereira, Martial, VdB will all be gone by start of next season in my opinion.

BlueHaze

Our squad at the moment feels quite «bloated» and the biggest disappointment of the summer window was perhaps our inability to sell players. Perhaps not a surprise, as we all knew it would be hard due to the effect of the Covid. But still a disappointment. Both due to making our squad expensive and deadwood blocking younger players. And also for some of the players themself who want and deserve to play.

The next couple of windows we will probably (try to) sell;

- Martial
- van de Beek
- Henderson?
- Dalot
- Williams?
- Bailly/Tuanzebe?
- Chong
- Pereira
- Bernard?

While players like Mata, Lingard and Pogba looks likely to leave to free.

We have not been good at selling players. It seems a recurring theme is that we pay our players too much, and that other clubs consequently cant afford them. And certainly cant afford to pay money for them on top of taking over their salary. It will be interesting to see if we have learned from past mistakes when looking to shift a few of these players (as some of them arrived or signed a new contract quite recently).

Considering the story around Brandon Williams this summer, the contract Henderson signed in the summer of ‘20 I’m not very optimistic. It would be interesting to know how much Judge (or whoever is in charge) has managed to cost our club in lost transfer fees. I really hope this is something our new CEO will address.

But for now, lets hope we somehow manage to trim our squad within the next year or so. So, how many of the players above will we be able to sell or move on? And how much will we raise from player sales the next two windows?
I would not sell Donny or Axel. The only one we could probably get a decent fee for would be Martial. Henderson should be sent on loan imo. Would not be wise to move him on permanently unless we have a solid back up gk.

redrobed

It seems unlikely it’ll ever happen at this stage but we really need the Glazers to actually back Ole and invest in the playing squad. 2 CM’s and Haaland have been required for quite some time now. And that’s just the essentials, ideally we also need a better GK and RB too.

Droid_Repairs

I actually don't think Jones will leave anytime soon, Ole seems to like him and seems intent on at least giving him a chance at a playing comeback following his surgery.

Droid_Repairs

It seems unlikely it’ll ever happen at this stage but we really need the Glazers to actually back Ole and invest in the playing squad. 2 CM’s and Haaland have been required for quite some time now. And that’s just the essentials, ideally we also need a better GK and RB too.
?

...but United have spent more than almost everybody?

el3mel

Is this for real ?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I hope our squad will be looking something like this next year;

de Gea/Heaton; AWB/Laird, Varane/Lindeløf, Maguire/Tuanzebe/Jones, Shaw/Telles; McT/Fred, New DM/Matic/Garner, Bruno/Lingard/Mejbri; Greenwood/Sancho/Diallo, Ronaldo/New striker, Rashford/Elanga/Shoretire

In other words, we could get rid of more than ten players. It would not be perfect. We probably still miss a CM. But it would be close to something.

Luke1995

Selling martial and keeping Cavani would be a good one. I think Cavani still has alot to offer. If we're always keeping Mata and Matic, surely it's worth the effort ?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the opposite, I think we’ll be thin. Ronnie, Cavani, Pogba, Pereira, Martial, VdB will all be gone by start of next season in my opinion.
You think so? Two ways I could see that happening. 1 ) Fail to qualify for the CL and 2) We keep playing this poor football and Ole stays on.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
So we spend 2 years complaining the squad is too thin and we need back up so the first 11 aren’t run into the ground every game all season and then when we sign quality reinforcements and have the strongest squad ever, we are bloated. Riiiiiight.

Oranges038

Players like Bailly, Dalot, Jones, Pereira, Martial, Lingard, Mata and DVB, could all be dispensed with without making the squad that much weaker, you could bring in a couple and leave the remaining backup spaces open for young players like Laird, Mengi, Garner, Hannibal, and Elanga to be given a chance to show if they have what it takes.

tomaldinho1

You think so? Two ways I could see that happening. 1 ) Fail to qualify for the CL and 2) We keep playing this poor football and Ole stays on.
Yeah I just feel he wants to be somewhere challenging for the CL and we’re not there, I guess very few clubs can really afford him though. If Ole does go it depends on who comes in, no high pressing coach will want him leading the line.