Television The Wire

Irrational.

It might have already been covered in this thread, but what does he ask for? I got the potato salad but it sounds like he wants a piss sandwich. I thought maybe its fish sandwich but then says he wants it medium rare.
:lol:

It's a pit sandwich, which is a sandwich/ burger containing roast beef/ cuts of beef steak - apparently it's a Baltimore specialty.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It might have already been covered in this thread, but what does he ask for? I got the potato salad but it sounds like he wants a piss sandwich. I thought maybe its fish sandwich but then says he wants it medium rare.
‘Pit’ sandwich. I think it’s a local thing with roast beef which is why he asks for horseradish. Baltimore style barbecue, if you will.

edit: I’m late :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Been working through this again on and off over the last however long, just started season four and the “Snoop buys a nail gun” scene absolutely creases me every time :lol:

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Rewatching this now. Been a few years since the last rewatch. Does anyone think its not that great anymore?

Cause I definitely don't. Best series ever. One thing I noticed this time round is that a) they really find the best actors even if its just for a single scene and b) the background shouts are often hilarious :lol:

Sylar

I remember being (and still am) blown away by this scene. So much explanation with the use of just one word. None of this 'thinking out loud for the benefit of viewers'. It was and still is so good.

Don Juan Matus

Rewatching this now. Been a few years since the last rewatch. Does anyone think its not that great anymore?

Cause I definitely don't. Best series ever. One thing I noticed this time round is that a) they really find the best actors even if its just for a single scene and b) the background shouts are often hilarious :lol:
Been rewatching it myself, watched S04Ep3 last night, the one where Omar goes to the store to buy breakfast cereal in his silk pyjamas, a voice in the background shouts "Omar strollin'" :lol:

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol:

I remember being (and still am) blown away by this scene. So much explanation with the use of just one word. None of this 'thinking out loud for the benefit of viewers'. It was and still is so good.
A show that trusts its viewership not to be completely dumb. Probably why @Twins doesn't like it in the first place.

Eriku

I rewatch it every year or two. It definitely holds up. David Simon has stated that they stole a ton from Greek classics, and those stories still resonate when it comes to human nature. I think the Wire will, too. Hopefully some day new viewers will need footnotes to understand some of the dynamics in society that the show puts the spotlight on.

what does that even mean?
Marlo is top dog in West Baltimore, and is not used to any give and take, certainly not from some minimum wage security guard. The guard wants a modicum of civility and respect (one way), but Marlo is all about asserting his dominance and making it clear that that’s not how things work.

Not sure if you’ve seen the show, but some pertinent spoilers:

It also becomes clear that ANY challenge to Marlo is seen as an affront to him, seeing as he has the security guard killed, just for this mild and respectful plea for him not to diss him in plain view through casual shoplifting

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I feel the hype killed it for the ones who haven't seen it yet. Will probably be disappointed
I watched it for the first time a few weeks/months ago. Lived up to the hype for sure, though couldn't really take Marlo too seriously after seeing the actor in Bosch previously.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I watched it for the first time a few weeks/months ago. Lived up to the hype for sure, though couldn't really take Marlo too seriously after seeing the actor in Bosch previously.
Yea it’s weird watching this again now seeing Marlo after watching Bosch.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Thinking of starting this show for the first time. The only question I have is the show outdated.

Moby

Dick
I rewatch it every year or two. It definitely holds up. David Simon has stated that they stole a ton from Greek classics, and those stories still resonate when it comes to human nature. I think the Wire will, too. Hopefully some day new viewers will need footnotes to understand some of the dynamics in society that the show puts the spotlight on.

Marlo is top dog in West Baltimore, and is not used to any give and take, certainly not from some minimum wage security guard. The guard wants a modicum of civility and respect (one way), but Marlo is all about asserting his dominance and making it clear that that’s not how things work.

Not sure if you’ve seen the show, but some pertinent spoilers:

It also becomes clear that ANY challenge to Marlo is seen as an affront to him, seeing as he has the security guard killed, just for this mild and respectful plea for him not to diss him in plain view through casual shoplifting
He wants society to reward duty, honesty and hardworking.
The jungle isn't like that. The tiger dictates the rules. Everything else is just food.
Reaffirms the fact that this show is only for the most super intelligent people out there. Even more than Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Tried several times to watch it, get half way through the second episode and give up, does nothing at all for me.

Eriku

If you haven’t got the patience to find out why it is so popular, or just don't like it and can't see it improving, so be it.
It's you choice.

There is no commission for getting people to watch it.
Yeah, it’s a slow burn.

For the record @Sparky_Hughes, I started it like three times before it stuck. Didn’t get really invested until towards the end of season one, and even after that it took a few episodes of season 2 before I realised just how good this show is. Now it’s the best ever, as far as I’m concerned. Part of what makes it so good is that it demands for you to pay attention, and if you do you’ll be rewarded with perspectives far richer than most shows.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah, it’s a slow burn.

For the record @Sparky_Hughes, I started it like three times before it stuck. Didn’t get really invested until towards the end of season one, and even after that it took a few episodes of season 2 before I realised just how good this show is. Now it’s the best ever, as far as I’m concerned. Part of what makes it so good is that it demands for you to pay attention, and if you do you’ll be rewarded with perspectives far richer than most shows.
My new lass loves it and wants to watch it again, so I have a feeling I'll be giving it another go :lol: