Television The Wire

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Apologies for the new thread but the last one was from 2009...

If there's a more recent one feel free to delete.

Anyway...

Season 2 was definitely different.

David Simon is ridiculously knowledgeable about Baltimore.

The show is almost quaint now looking back at how what was then advanced technology has aged so swiftly.

Regarding Nick, I'm glad one Sobotka made it out alive.

I have some issues with Ziggy. I didn't buy into his murderous turn, a character like him in that environment would've got his comeuppance way sooner and if Nick was smart he never would've kept him in the loop.

Still, premium tier TV. And the fact that the fat homicide lieutenant pretty much fecked the whole case by not putting two and two together when Zig shot the store owner was crushingly realistic.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ah, The Wire. So good it's the only show I've watched twice. There's no other show for me with enough rewatchability value that I'm willing to invest another 40-60 hours into it.

In fact, I may even watch The Wire a third time!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
You know what, I’m watching it through for the second time now and it just doesn’t compare to Breaking Bad or The Sopranos for me. Or season one of True Detective. Or the latest series of Better Call Saul.

It’s great, don’t get me wrong, but just not as entertaining or gripping as the ones above.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm still coming to terms with the fact that carver is the priest guy from The Walking Dead.

I also assumed that Chalky White's facial scar in Boardwalk Empire was make up. Clearly not.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
You know what, I’m watching it through for the second time now and it just doesn’t compare to Breaking Bad or The Sopranos for me. Or season one of True Detective. Or the latest series of Better Call Saul.

It’s great, don’t get me wrong, but just not as entertaining or gripping as the ones above.
Sopranos is next on my list.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Flying_Heckfish

Sopranos is the daddy. Absolute perferction. Must've watched that back five times.

Wire second, but that last season... I don't know...

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
By far the best show ever made especially season 2 and 4.

M15 Red.

True Detective? If you ever disclose your location to me mate, expect a visit from social services the following morning. Every question asked in my household, if met with a yes, is met with only one response... Oh indeed.

Or.. if Mickey's commenting on a Utd game, Owen Died. In my best Belfast accent.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
A new Wire thread? Shieeettt.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
But honestly and this sounds like a cliche at this point but Sopranos and The Wire is the dogs bollocks as far as the tv series go. Breaking Bad is not too far behind.

Band of Brothers.
Chernobyl.
The Night of. Get the nod for mini series.

predator

Youth NITK
I think Breaking bad is the greatest tv show ever and the best thing you will see on TV.

I've recently just finished the sopranos and although it wasn't as explosive as BB, finishing it has left a hole in my heart.

I tried watching the wire last year but gave up at the start of season 2. It's rated as highly as the sopranos and BB so I'm certain that it is worth the watch.

I was close to switching off the sopranos but it was very funny and that's what eventually got me hooked. The wire on the other hand seems just dull.

I think the wire and sopranos are dated compared to modern series but that isn't to say they're any worse.

Holocene

I think Breaking bad is the greatest tv show ever and the best thing you will see on TV.
While Breaking Bad is good, I think The Wire and The Sopranos are in a league of their own. Why do you think they're dated compared to modern series?
But honestly and this sounds like a cliche at this point but Sopranos and The Wire is the dogs bollocks as far as the tv series go. Breaking Bad is not too far behind.

Band of Brothers.
Chernobyl.
The Night of. Get the nod for mini series.
Add Mad Men and you've got pretty much the definitive list.

predator

Youth NITK
While Breaking Bad is good, I think The Wire and The Sopranos are in a league of their own. Why do you think they're dated compared to modern series?
I dont know. Maybe I'm showing my youngish age (26).

I found it hard to stick with the sopranos but once I got into it I loved it and was genuinely gutted when I finished it.

BB, I watched about 5 years ago. From the word go I was hooked. Same with modern shows like Banshee, Walking dead, suits etc.

The wire, I struggled to keep watching even though I know it is rated as highly as it is because it is so good.

I need to give it another go. I'm currently watching line of duty (season 3).

Idxomer

My 2nd watch of The Sopranos cemented it for me as the greatest ever, it has much more to unpack than any other series.

The Wire is great of course and season 4 is really special. What sets it up apart from other shows is the variety of great characters throughout the whole series. The show isn't really focused on one arc and it never forgets a character.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I've recently just finished the sopranos and although it wasn't as explosive as BB, finishing it has left a hole in my heart.

I tried watching the wire last year but gave up at the start of season 2. It's rated as highly as the sopranos and BB so I'm certain that it is worth the watch.

I was close to switching off the sopranos but it was very funny and that's what eventually got me hooked. The wire on the other hand seems just dull.

I think the wire and sopranos are dated compared to modern series but that isn't to say they're any worse.
I found BB really boring and just couldn't get into it personally.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I found BB really boring and just couldn't get into it personally.
It always amazes me that people regard BB as the best show ever. Funny how tastes differ.

I remember watching BB after reading all the praise and thinking to myself "wait why is this regarded as the best show?". It's a fun watch, but honestly, it does not come close to The Wire for me. Not even remotely close.

It's funny to me when people claim The Wire is slow. I never felt that it was slow. The dialogue was great and always interesting to listen to. With BB on the other hand, I was getting tired of those family dinners with slow dialogue etc.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It always amazes me that people regard BB as the best show ever. Funny how tastes differ.

I remember watching BB after reading all the praise and thinking to myself "wait why is this regarded as the best show?". It's a fun watch, but honestly, it does not come close to The Wire for me. Not even remotely close.

It's funny to me when people claim The Wire is slow. I never felt that it was slow. The dialogue was great and always interesting to listen to. With BB on the other hand, I was getting tired of those family dinners with slow dialogue etc.
I have never seen the wire but it's on my to do list

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Agree. There’s a bit of suspension of disbelief when it came to BB. It was a quality show, no doubt in the argument, but its surreality while trying to maintain reality was always a bit of a negative to me.

But, that surreality is what many people are drawn to.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Season 2 is probably my favourite too.
It certainly didn’t drag the series into oblivion, but if there ever was a real life situation for the cliche ‘one of these things is not like the other...,’ season 2 is it.

Who can take anything you say as gospel, odd tie wearer?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It certainly didn’t drag the series into oblivion, but if there ever was a real life situation for the cliche ‘one of these things is not like the other...,’ season 2 is it.

Who can take anything you say as gospel, odd tie wearer?
The first time I watched I was like “wtf is going on” but once you realise the way the show is created and how each season introduces new dynamic you can move past that shift and appreciate it for what it is. The second season contains a fantastic story centred around some great and memorable newly introduced characters.

Ya stubby tie wearing gimp :)

Lennon7

True Detective? If you ever disclose your location to me mate, expect a visit from social services the following morning. Every question asked in my household, if met with a yes, is met with only one response... Oh indeed.

Or.. if Mickey's commenting on a Utd game, Owen Died. In my best Belfast accent.
You don’t like the first series of true detective then? Shits all over the wire

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I appreciated season two far more on second viewing. I think the first time I watched it I was a bit shook by how radical a departure it was from the storylines in the first season. I was expecting a full on continuation and instead got all these new characters and a new story line.

Frank, Nick, and Ziggy are three of the best characters in the whole show, too.

I still think nothing beats S4 though, masterful TV.

i'd go 4 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 5

ShinjiNinja26

Amazing show! The wire and The Sopranos are undoubtedly the two greatest shows ever made.

I love Breaking Bad it’s a really good series but it’s not on the same level as those two, nothing is.

hubbuh

Season 2?

Wow. Felt that season was clearly the worst by some margin. Such an outlier v. the rest of the series.
Everyone always hates season 2 the first time they see it (likely because it takes a bit of a departure from the grime of the city) but ends up loving it on second viewing.

M15 Red.

You don’t like the first series of true detective then? Shits all over the wire
Louis and Briggs are no Bunk & McNulty. I did enjoy Jimmy Tarbucks little cameo in season 1, but for me, Jasper Carrott is worse than dysentery.

Lennon7

Louis and Briggs are no Bunk & McNulty. I did enjoy Jimmy Tarbucks little cameo in season 1, but for me, Jasper Carrott is worse than dysentery.
Mate you’re on about completely the wrong show hahahaha. I said True Detective not the detectives

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Everyone always hates season 2 the first time they see it (likely because it takes a bit of a departure from the grime of the city) but ends up loving it on second viewing.
My experience exactly.

This is such a good show I started watching a few weeks back, I’m on Season 5 now. Seasons 1-3 it was so hard remembering all the characters names :lol:

bsCallout

BB is the most over hyped show in my opinion.

Just making my way the S1 The Wire. Not gripped yet.

Sopranos is the daddy, as mentioned.

Peaky is definitely up there too.

Edit: Luther is in with a shout too. That is gripping T.V.

mr.suave

My experience exactly.
And mine. The sudden change in environment was really jarring on first viewing and I didn't rate it at all. I've since rewatched the whole show a couple of times and season 2 is definitely one of the strongest seasons.

The same thing seems to happen to everyone when they watch it again.

Red_Aaron

Yeah season 2 is very much a grower, I didn't like it first time around and I skipped a chunk of it second time round as a result. Since then however subsequent watches have endeared it to me (though its still probably second last as far as my personal rating 1,4,3,2,5)

For me it's the best show of all time.

Closest is probably Mad Men which I love then sopranos but those 2 are very close

I loved BB at the time but have failed in every attempt to rewatch, that first season is a real chore imo and it gets a bit too silly by the end

One thing that I did find very surprising is that the show didn’t win any major awards, madness!