Television The Wire

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Whatever about the problems with season 5, it has the most perfect, satisfying final episode of any of the big shows.

Carolina Red

Staff
Doing my usual summer rewatch of The Wire and holy shit, I just realized Rawls was in the gay bar. Either I never noticed it before or if I did, I forgot I saw it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Doing my usual summer rewatch of The Wire and holy shit, I just realized Rawls was in the gay bar. Either I never noticed it before or if I did, I forgot I saw it.
Wait til you hear about Omar.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Just started it again myself, show has endless rewatchability
It‘s a timeless classic. Did you see the new version (different format / widescreen)?

Dan_F

I need to mute this thread or I’m just going to end up rewatching every time it gets bumped.

What’s even more annoying is I didn’t watch it first time around and my partner was the one who convinced me to watch it. And obviously she lets me know that.

cafecillos

Just started it again myself, show has endless rewatchability
Yep, crazy rewatchability. I feel the fact that seasons are so distinct from one another adds a lot to that, apart form the fantastic writing, of course. Season 2, which leaves you sort of upset at first due to the change of focus and characters, is absolutely fantastic once you stop missing season 1 or when you're prepared for what's coming.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yep, crazy rewatchability. I feel the fact that seasons are so distinct from one another adds a lot to that, apart form the fantastic writing, of course. Season 2, which leaves you sort of upset at first due to the change of focus and characters, is absolutely fantastic once you stop missing season 1 or when you're prepared for what's coming.
Season 2 is probably my favourite now.

Frank is such a great character and the whole dock storyline is really interesting.

Big Andy

Bloke
I've never watched this. I misses it first time round and just never got round to it.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It's been a while since I saw this, but I think season 4 was my favorite.

cafecillos

I've never watched this. I misses it first time round and just never got round to it.
Huge mistake. The writing more than holds up today, the social commentary is still 100% relevant, and the remastered widescreen full HD version doesn't look particularly dated.

Big Andy

Bloke
Huge mistake. The writing more than holds up today, the social commentary is still 100% relevant, and the remastered widescreen full HD version doesn't look particularly dated.
I was late getting in to Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones as well. Never watched Soprano's, The Wire, The Shield or Succession either.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Didn’t age well technology-wise with cellphones and whatnot. But still a great watch for the characters and dialogue.
Not meaning to go after you specifically, but I've never understood these arguments. It's kind of like watching a movie set in Ancient Rome and be bothered by their lack of machine guns.

Eriku

Not meaning to go after you specifically, but I've never understood these arguments. It's kind of like watching a movie set in Ancient Rome and be bothered by their lack of machine guns.
Not just that, showing Kima struggling on a typewriter and the like was in part meant to illustrate some of the obsolescence riddling our institutions.

cafecillos

Not just that, showing Kima struggling on a typewriter and the like was in part meant to illustrate some of the obsolescence riddling our institutions.
Exactly, that's very much part of the story the show is telling. How the police are struggling to keep up with the relatively new (at the time) tech the gangs are using (burners and so on), due to lack of resources, political will and several other reasons. It's the fecking title of the show :lol:

Eriku

Exactly, that's very much part of the story the show is telling. How the police are struggling to keep up with the relatively new (at the time) tech the gangs are using (burners and so on), due to lack of resources, political will and several other reasons. It's the fecking title of the show :lol:
Unsettling for people who are used to police labs having poncy touch screen technologies following your verbal commands. "Enhance image!"

We get Prez with his terrible jokes :(

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Thanks for the thread will give it another watch, great show and the noise Snoopy makes is brilliant “yerp”

cafecillos

Isn't it a bit odd how many of the actors in this never really had much of a career after this? It's as if they were average players made to look good by an incredibly well-drilled system. Marlo for example was so intimidating in this and I don't even recall seeing him in anything else.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Isn't it a bit odd how many of the actors in this never really had much of a career after this? It's as if they were average players made to look good by an incredibly well-drilled system. Marlo for example was so intimidating in this and I don't even recall seeing him in anything else.
I mean Michael K Williams was in a lot. Same with Lance Reddick. Aidan Gillen has been in loads of things. Idris Elba became a megastar. But yeah some gave the impression they weren’t really about the glam acting life and suited being character actors. I mean Snoop especially was literally picked up off the street.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Marlo was in Bosch in a large-ish role, but I can’t recall any other.

cafecillos

I mean Michael K Williams was in a lot. Same with Lance Reddick. Aidan Gillen has been in loads of things. Idris Elba became a megastar. But yeah some gave the impression they weren’t really about the glam acting life and suited being character actors. I mean Snoop especially was literally picked up off the street.
You're right there are quite a few who went on to have decent careers, and of course, Idris became a Hollywood star. I was sort of thinking about Marlo, Bubbles, Avon, Lester, Kima, D'Angelo, Bodie, Frank Sobotka, Proposition Joe... so many memorable characters

Also, now that you mention Snoop, weren't there other characters who were not proffesional actors either?

redcucumber

You're right there are quite a few who went on to have decent careers, and of course, Idris became a Hollywood star. I was sort of thinking about Marlo, Bubbles, Avon, Lester, Kima, D'Angelo, Bodie, Frank Sobotka, Proposition Joe... so many memorable characters

Also, now that you mention Snoop, weren't there other characters who were not proffesional actors either?
Jamie Hector (Marlo) had a prominent role in another big show 'Bosch', as mentioned above. Michael B Jordan (Wallace) is obviously huge. Wood Harris (Avon) is in loads of stuff.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Marlo was in Bosch in a large-ish role, but I can’t recall any other.
Marlo and baby others from The Wire were in We Own This City which is a must-watch if you’ve not seen it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Not really. Once you reach the top, the only way next is downhill.

All these actors from The Wire, made the greatest tv show ever. 99.999999% of actors in history will never participate in anything close to be as perfect and real as the Wire.

And once they end the filiming, they (the actors) knew that they were part of something special that won't ever again be repeated. So many of these actors were confused as real gang bangers from the streets, and not real actors.

Producers knew as well. Hard to give them roles when all these guys will always be remembered by their Wire characters. Like Tony Soprano...

Its the price you pay for being part of perfection.

I'm currently watching "The Deuce", which is a fine tv show, but I can't take it seriously, with so many The Wire characters using funny toupees. Feels like David Simon felt bad for rendering all those actors as hard to cast, so he made a TV show just to give them something to do with their lives.