Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, were a new one to actually release, it wouldn’t realistically come out before 2024 or so. That’s about the length between games for CDPR.

Art Vandelay

What about their own universe? A spiritual successor to The Witcher series? @The Mitcher
I'd give it a go. Although I'm not sold on the main character.
If it helps it won't be for a while anyway
True. I mean I'd probably still buy it. It's just the last few years have taught me the value of just letting stories end instead of pumping more and more out for the money. I think CDPR would do it right, I'm just wary these days of everything needing endless sequels and franchises.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I want get back into it but length and the controls are putting me off.

How hard was it getting back into it without game+ mode?

Simbo

Yeah, were a new one to actually release, it wouldn’t realistically come out before 2024 or so. That’s about the length between games for CDPR.
Yeh, they have expanded though apparently so that they can work on more than one new game at a time. A new witcher title is pretty much a given.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Cyberpunk is coming out first though!
Yeah man, but after that The Mitcher will be the only game out there that anyone will want to play.

Set in Cafalonia, our story begins during the historic Battle of the Five Cnuts as Colinovakia tries to dominate the Ancient City of Weaste. You play as The Mitcher, a seasoned warrior who flicks his bottom lip at goblins and keeps waving his sword around to commuters on the bus.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
F*ck it, reinstalled and decided to play B&W on Death March, as I never got round to it on my 2nd playthrough. It's very difficult trying to figure all the buttons out again :lol:

Jacob

Just encountered the bug where you can't call Roach. Some say you can fix it by rebooting the game, haven't tried that yet

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So I've put the disc back in... Jesus I can barely remember how anything works or the controls or anything... Had to whack the tutorials on.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
For you pc folks - just remember that if you do get back into it that there are some amazingly useful mods that dont mess much with the original intent of the game like unlimited weight limit of your inventory, ability to jump in low standing water, higher resolution texture replacements, etc.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Finished this game yesterday. Ciri becomes the Empress. Could have been worse :lol:

Not sure what happened to Yennefer though.

Also, Hearts of Stone is set in Oxenfert? Was hoping I would get to travel to Toussaint for the DLCs.

Mindhunter

Finished this game yesterday. Ciri becomes the Empress. Could have been worse :lol:

Also, Hearts of Stone is set in Oxenfert? Was hoping I would get to travel to Toussaint for the DLCs.
You would. It’s the 2nd DLC where you do that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Hearts of Stone is the better DLC imo. Better bosses and a stronger, more condensed story with probably the game's best antagonist in David Beckham.

Blood and Wine is great and has loads of content but the overall story suffers a bit as a result and is far more forgettable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hearts of Stone is the better DLC imo. Better bosses and a stronger, more condensed story with probably the game's best antagonist in David Beckham.

Blood and Wine is great and has loads of content but the overall story suffers a bit as a result and is far more forgettable.
:lol:

Yeah, think that’s a common opinion held — HoS takes the initial games weakest point; a lack of a charismatic antagonist who can be seen as an ‘equal’ to Geralt, and places it in the confines of a compact story.

BaW places the user in a gorgeously idyllic backdrop with a lot of content to hang up your boots as you hang up the game.

Marcelinho87

Completed 3 times on PC including all DLC but tempted to start a new on the xbox now it's on gamepass.

Should I?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Also the most powerful antagonist, GOD.

I was giddy as a schoolgirl running into him in White Orchard at the start again.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Feckin amazing this game man!

Dunno how many hours I've played so far this time, but I don't think I'm even half way through it :lol: and that's not including the DLC!

MadMike

That's the best outcome. Geralt's daughter becomes the most powerful person on the Continent. Has the power to stop the war, end the prosecution of mages and non-humans, reign in religious fanaticism (be it the Eternal Flame or Great Sun) etc. etc.

Some people prefer her to become a Witcher, but I don't get it. Witcher's life is pretty horrible. An outcast, alone and always on the road, hunting down drowners and water hags for couple of gold coins. I know what life I'd choose for my kid.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
That's the best outcome. Geralt's daughter becomes the most powerful person on the Continent. Has the power to stop the war, end the prosecution of mages and non-humans, reign in religious fanaticism (be it the Eternal Flame or Great Sun) etc. etc.

Some people prefer her to become a Witcher, but I don't get it. Witcher's life is pretty horrible. An outcast, alone and always on the road, hunting down drowners and water hags for couple of gold coins. I know what life I'd choose for my kid.
Yeah but you have to do a specific thing for her to become the Empress, which is a morally grey thing :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Are there any good mods out there, that improve the core mechanics or add engaging content (not just mods, that improve quality of life)?
This is a newer one that I'm using now. Reworks combat, leveling, alchemy, enemies, etc. It's still early days but liking it so far.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4127

There's also the Enhanced Edition, which is an even more thorough rework. It's what I used before.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3522

el3mel

I got the Witcher ending. Wasn't planning for it though. I did everything to get the empress ending but missed it because I didn't do the side quest of killing the king (don't remember his name). Didn't know this was going to affect the ending.

I won't say I was disappointed though. I actually liked how the witcher ending was done and I still have a save before Kaer Morhen fight if I ever want to do that side quest then replaying that last portion of the game.

Siorac

Being the Empress of Nilfgaard is an incredibly tough life! It's a volatile society with powerful nobles, constant intrigue and conspiracies. It's dangerous work and it consumes everything.

A witcher's life is hard but simple and you're free. She can do whatever she wants - and she'll always have Geralt and Yen and the rest. Don't forget that she's not a 'mutant' either, she didn't go through the Trial - so she could abandon this life if she wanted to and fit into society.

Ainu

I personally thought the empress ending was horrifying for Ciri. I get the idea, she comes into a position at the heart of the most powerful nation in the world and can change things for the better from the inside. But there's no way that would be a happy life for Ciri. She has spent her entire life wanting to be free and living her own life away from all those people who have a plan for her.

As empress her entire life would be pretty much written in stone for her, it's about as free as a lifetime prison sentence. Not to mention she'd have to go live with one of the most horrible individuals in the witcher universe, a man who has caused innumerable suffering and death across the world and pretty much made her life a living hell for so long.

A witcher life would give her the freedom she's always wanted. Sure it's dangerous, but for her, a very skilled fighter and incredibly powerful source, it's arguably far, far less so than a life among the politics and scheming at the heart of Nilfgaard, where she'd face a constant threat of assassination and plotting against her for the rest of her life. She can easily deal with danger she can see coming as a witcher, less so with the various hidden dangers as empress.

And if she gets tired of the witchering and solitude, she can just go live with Geralt and Yen for as long as she wants. It's a no brainer really.

Siorac

I personally thought the empress ending was horrifying for Ciri. I get the idea, she comes into a position at the heart of the most powerful nation in the world and can change things for the better from the inside. But there's no way that would be a happy life for Ciri. She has spent her entire life wanting to be free and living her own life away from all those people who have a plan for her.

As empress her entire life would be pretty much written in stone for her, it's about as free as a lifetime prison sentence. Not to mention she'd have to go live with one of the most horrible individuals in the witcher universe, a man who has caused innumerable suffering and death across the world and pretty much made her life a living hell for so long.

A witcher life would give her the freedom she's always wanted. Sure it's dangerous, but for her, a very skilled fighter and incredibly powerful source, it's arguably far, far less so than a life among the politics and scheming at the heart of Nilfgaard, where she'd face a constant threat of assassination and plotting against her for the rest of her life. She can easily deal with danger she can see coming as a witcher, less so with the various hidden dangers as empress.

And if she gets tired of the witchering and solitude, she can just go live with Geralt and Yen for as long as she wants. It's a no brainer really.
Yes, all of this.

MadMike

Being the Empress of Nilfgaard is an incredibly tough life! It's a volatile society with powerful nobles, constant intrigue and conspiracies. It's dangerous work and it consumes everything.

A witcher's life is hard but simple and you're free. She can do whatever she wants - and she'll always have Geralt and Yen and the rest. Don't forget that she's not a 'mutant' either, she didn't go through the Trial - so she could abandon this life if she wanted to and fit into society.
Can’t agree with that.

She can’t fit into society. She’s the rightful heir to the throne of Nilfgaard, she settles in one place and the Emperor’s spies might pick up her scent. Hence she faked her death and slipped into the shadows in the Witcher ending, even having to wear a hood in a White Orchard inn. If Emhyr’s spies find her, even by accident, the Emperor’s likely to pull her to Nilfgaard with or without her consent and kill Geralt for lying to him and hiding his daughter from him. If it’s a successor to Emhyr who discovers her, he/she is likely to want Cirilla dead as a threat to them. And if it’s not the Emperor it will be the Sorcerers/Lodge or malign beings (a la Wild Hunt) who want to use her power.

No. If she goes for the Witcher life she has to stay in the shadows pretty much her whole life because of who she is, she can’t just slip into society casually. Hence she will never be truly free, her choices are constrained. She can either own who she is and become powerful or become a shadow.

And the Witcher’s Path is solitary, even moreso for one aiming to remain incognito and not draw too much attention on themselves. She won’t have Geralt and much less Yen to fall back on in her life. She'll even need to be careful about ever being seen with them, considering how universally recognisable Geralt and Yen are. If she wants to keep them close to her, she’s far more likely to succeed in that with her clout as an Empress rather than as a fugitive. Yen and Geralt could just retire in Nilfgaard and be close to Ciri or even work at the court, Yen as counsel and Geralt as head of her personal guard.

Last edited: