Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Getting ready to go after that damn Griffin.
When you get to the part where a government official is formally asking you questions, that’s simulating a TW2 save import. It’s not a big deal, but you might want to google it. Or do what I do and
spare each person, side with Triss & Roche).

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Getting ready to go after that damn Griffin.
I hated that first time I played it, once I got used to combat I loved. Such a great fight to start to the game pretty much :drool: I so want to replay it but I also want to wait for the upgrade in Q2 this year.

SoCross

When you get to the part where a government official is formally asking you questions, that’s simulating a TW2 save import. It’s not a big deal, but you might want to google it. Or do what I do and
spare each person, side with Triss & Roche).
This is in White Orchard?

I hated that first time I played it, once I got used to combat I loved. Such a great fight to start to the game pretty much :drool: I so want to replay it but I also want to wait for the upgrade in Q2 this year.
I'm bricking it to be honest :lol: The noonwraith scared the crap out of me.

Just a general question; should I be gathering all the herbs I see? Got tonnes of white myrtle herbs.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm the same, bought it in the sale the other day to finally get it on PS. But not forcing myself to wait for the upgrade

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This is in White Orchard?

I'm bricking it to be honest :lol: The noonwraith scared the crap out of me.

Just a general question; should I be gathering all the herbs I see? Got tonnes of white myrtle herbs.
Definitely grab herbs for now, you'll need some, others you will never use, well I never did. Depends if you go the bombs/oils route or more slash and hack. You'll definitely need a few oils/potions etc though.

They don't weigh much and you can sell them if you really have too much or don't use them.

There is a quest that requires some herbs iirc so keep them till then atleast. You'll know it when you get to it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm the same, bought it in the sale the other day to finally get it on PS. But not forcing myself to wait for the upgrade
I've got GOW to finish cleaning up on, then a quick replay of horizon which should take me till 18th Feb, then I'll be wrapped in up in the new horizon for a couple months I'd think, hopefully the upgrade is out by then :drool:

P-Nut

I've got GOW to finish cleaning up on, then a quick replay of horizon which should take me till 18th Feb, then I'll be wrapped in up in the new horizon for a couple months I'd think, hopefully the upgrade is out by then :drool:
I rarely get 10 minutes to play at the moment which is helping as it's not a game I'd be willing to jump on and off too quickly. Need a good solid few hours to really get into it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I rarely get 10 minutes to play at the moment which is helping as it's not a game I'd be willing to jump on and off too quickly. Need a good solid few hours to really get into it.
Yeah, I love sitting down to play the Witcher thinking I'll bash through a couple hours of story :drool:

Only to end up playing Gwent for 4 hours instead :lol:

P-Nut

Yeah, I love sitting down to play the Witcher thinking I'll bash through a couple hours of story :drool:

:lol: I've started it twice and never finished as well so I need to make sure I pick a time when I'm going to have a solid few weeks of free time to make sure I stick with it. Always have to put a few hours aside for gwent

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
:lol: I've started it twice and never finished as well so I need to make sure I pick a time when I'm going to have a solid few weeks of free time to make sure I stick with it. Always have to put a few hours aside for gwent
I finished it last time, and done one DLC but saved blood and wine for my next play through :lol: I just never want it to end.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Even though CDPR have gone to the dogs in recent times, this game is still my GOAT.

Will do another playthrough when the release the next gen update. If they release that is. Cyberpunk is still hot garbage so they still have their hands full a whole 14 months later.

AaronRedDevil

The fact that the DLC was cheap at the release was crazy. 15 quid each was it? For about 30 hours worth of gameplay and a very good story. Hope CDPR will redeem themselves with the Cyberpunk disaster. It’s a good game. Just need to sort out the bugs and add way more into it. But yeah Witcher 3 is a peak Open world game. The world never feels boring to go through.

Mike Smalling

Just bought this. Loving it so far!
Got this shortly after Christmas, and have now played through the original game as well as Hearts of Stone. Also absolutely loved it. In a way I almost enjoyed the Hearts of Stone storyline more, because it doesn't branch out as much, so I was much more focused on the story (it is of course also shorter). In the original game there is simply so much stuff to do, that you can almost forget what is actually going on in the overall story.

Here's a couple of things I would liked to have known or that I would do differently if I were to start again. Hope it can help.
  • Finish White Orchard completely before moving on (including question marks). It will help you to go up a level or two, and there are quite a few Places of Power that are worth picking up. You can of course go back later, but feels more natural to finish it first time around.
  • Don't skip Gwent early. There are a few cards that you can't get later if you miss them the first time, so if you don't have the deck to win them, you will the fail the quest to get all cards. If you leave it too late you also have to go back and play with NPCs, so it is more natural to take a game once in a while, as you progress.
  • Consider if you can move up in difficulty. I cleared a lot of stuff before moving on with the main story, so ended up being a little over leveled towards the end. I should probably have changed to the second highest difficulty.
  • Pay close attention to the dialogue. There were times when I thought it was a little too long, so ended up skipping it, because I was eager to go fight something. Eventually you will miss something important.
  • It may seem obvious, but don't start either of the expansions before finishing the main story. It will be confusing with two narratives at once.
  • Items sell for different amounts to different vendors. Sell your weapons to blacksmiths, armor to armorers, etc. for maximum gold.
  • Get saddlebags as quickly as possible. It vastly improves the load you can carry. These can often be gotten through horse races.
  • The fall damage can seem ridiculous, but you can roll when landing by pressing the jump button to soften the fall.
  • Don't get too greedy romantically ;)

Bosws87

One of the only games where the side quests feel fleshed out that is what separates it from the rest, also one of the reasons Cyberpunk was so poor as they didn't bother doing the same.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even though CDPR have gone to the dogs in recent times, this game is still my GOAT.

Will do another playthrough when the release the next gen update. If they release that is. Cyberpunk is still hot garbage so they still have their hands full a whole 14 months later.
It's in my top 2 for sure (I can't make mind up between this and Deus Ex). For all the wonderful games I've played this generation, Witcher 3 is still in a class of it's own. When you consider the expansions, its an astoundingly brilliant game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

It's the only game in recent memory that I've played thrice. Third time was not the entire set (just the base game). Feels bizarre to say but I might just give it a 4th go when the next gen version comes (and I get a next get console) unless it's a very tiny upgrade in which I may just let it be.

SoCross

Lads, is the Griffin school gear worth it? I hate underwater combat :(

Also, can someone please explain Gwent to me.

Mike Smalling

Lads, is the Griffin school gear worth it? I hate underwater combat :(

Also, can someone please explain Gwent to me.
I am master Gwent player, if I say so myself. Here's a few tips:

1) Go for the Northern Realms deck and get as many spies as possible. I think four is the maximum.
2) It might be counter-intuitive, but you should have as few cards as possible in the deck, so you minimize randomness in what you draw. Mine has 26. Don't stack your deck with tons of weather cards etc.
3) Start out by drawing as many cards as possible. Play your spy cards, and use decoys to retract any spies your opponent plays, so you can play them yourself.
4) Play your strongest cards last to avoid them being scorched. Obviously this doesn't go for the hero cards. Scorch your opponent, when there is a good opportunity to remove multiple cards at once.
5) A general tip is, don't be afraid to lose a round. If you can force your opponent to use a lot of cards it may be better to give up the round to win the game.

Gwent is really a game where you can win almost every time as long as you have the right cards, which takes a little while to collect.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Finished the main story, frigging loved it. Which ending did you all get? I got:
Ciri became a witcher, I was gutted when I though she had died

Now Im desperately searching for an Ekimara to get its hide, really need to brew a superior cursed oil to kill that bastard toad thing in Oxenfurt. Slimy poisonous prick that he is.

Ainu

Finished the main story, frigging loved it. Which ending did you all get? I got:

Now Im desperately searching for an Ekimara to get its hide, really need to brew a superior cursed oil to kill that bastard toad thing in Oxenfurt. Slimy poisonous prick that he is.
Ciri became empress in my only full playthrough to date. I wasn't really happy with it, the idea of Ciri living a life of politics, court intrigue and plotting, nah. When the update finally arrives and I go for another playthrough, I'm definitely going for the Ciri witcher ending.

Geralt's love life was worse though, I made the capital error of trying to go for both women and they didn't take it well. :lol:

Mike Smalling

Same. Ciri became a Witcher. Not gonna lie, they had me in the first half with the fake death. Thought I had fecked it. Also, ended up with Triss, Cerys became queen of Skellige, and Radovid(?) continued his ethnic cleansing in Novigrad.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
In my first playthrough on pc Ciri became the Empress, Cerys the queen of Skellige and I joined the plot to assassinate Radovid. Started playing of ps4 and have reached Skellige isles again. Wanted to go for both Triss and Yennefer this time round but I fecked up the Triss romance :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Same. Ciri became a Witcher. Not gonna lie, they had me in the first half with the fake death. Thought I had fecked it. Also, ended up with Triss, Cerys became queen of Skellige, and Radovid(?) continued his ethnic cleansing in Novigrad.
I ended up with Ciri as the witcher, I killed Radovid, Cerys as Queen of Skellige, managed to pull Yen which was a joy :)

Smores

I always envy people playing this game for the first time. Can't wait for the PS5 upgrade.

Make sure you do the DLCs as if anything they're better.

Bosws87

I always envy people playing this game for the first time. Can't wait for the PS5 upgrade.

Make sure you do the DLCs as if anything they're better.
Possibly the best DLC of a game ever could be games in their own rights.