Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Revan

Assumptionman
Well yeah, if you intentionally only play with one combination then any game will be boring. If you play KOTOR with just Force lightning/Force Storm then its combat will be terrible, etc. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on the story(and the way it was told), since I thought it was excellent, as did most of the critics/users, apparently. Dragon Age 2's story was infinitely more shite, as was "the way it was told", but almost any measure.
If you only use Force lightning you'll get killed on every boss fight ;)

I think that Dragon Age 2 story was good with potential to be excellent (similarily to the Witcher 2, it wasn't the good vs evil fantasy story) but I agree that the way it was told was absolutelly horrible. The gameplay was shit, but on the level comparable to Witcher IMO, both bein shit. On the other side, the companions were again great and the voice acting much better than any of the Witcher games. Witcher 2 had absolutelly better graphics.

By the way it was told, I meant that many times it jumps and confuse the shitof what is happening. I guess that they thought that people are a bit familiar with that universe, which isn't the case. You don't have the freedom of exploring as much and understand the culture of civilizations (like on BioWare games, or on the benchmark for this Planescape Torment). On the first game I think that you don't even know that actually there is a big empire on the south which plans to invade all northern small kingdoms.

The Witcher 2 is the game when choices count most, I grant you that (on the first one they mean feck all though). But while this is good, personally I don't care that much for it. All the best RPG ever (FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Kotor etc) choices in the end are pure cosmetics.

Geralt is a monster hunter but it becomes boring doing the same thing for ten or twenty hours on the game (if you do all of them). Him being a monster hunter wasn't a problem for the main story being totally about the politics (second game).

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So it seems there is a hidden message in the trailer, as usual with CD Projekt:

We've missed you!

Today you got a look at the third trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. We hope you liked it!

There's so much more in this game that is's just impossible to show everything withing two and a half minutes. Still we tried :)

More importantly we just showed you some of the main characters

Geralt's close friends and some of the last witchers remaining in the world - Vesemir, Eskel and Lambert - will play a big part in the game, as well their famous fortress Kaer Morhen.

You also got a glimpse of the ---ned bard Dandelion and the sorceress Triss Merigold.

Emhyr var Emreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard, the most powerful man in the world of The Witcher also made an appearance. Recognize his voice?

And then there was Ciri!

And Yennefer!

By the way, if you're new to the series, don't worry, the game will introduce you into all you need to know, and you'll start loving (and hating!) characters in no time!

Also, you've been asking us many questions about gameplay features and we're finally ready to answer some of them - so here it goes:

• Yes, you will be able to fight while on horseback
  • The crossbow. Yup, Geralt can use ranged weapon. Because sometimes monsters fly and you can't reach them.
  • Remember swimming and sailing. You'll be able to dive and search for a lot of hidden stuff too. There's a whole underwater world to discover.
  • Horse racing anyone?
You also got to hear more music from the game. This particular track was composed by Marcin Przybyłowicz & Percival. We'd love to hear your feedback. Fire away in the comments or on the game's Facebook/Twitter/forums. Remember, we're always listening, even if we're not getting back to you.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Team

CD PROJEKT RED

PS. If you're still waiting for more (you are, right?), please be patient. We're just warming up.

PPS. Have you seen the Collector's Edition video? What do you think about the figure?

PPPS. We've just announced a closed multiplayer beta of The Witcher Adventure Game -------- & let the GOG.com guys ------ you.
It sounds great! We finally get a ranged weapons!

Last edited:

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
I think that BioWare will do something good this time cause their last 3 big projects (Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and SW:TOR) weren't that good, so I guess this is their last chance to redeem themselves. Also, on the past they did a game every year (especially after they became EAware) but now their last game was Mass Effect 3 released on March 2012. So, 2 and a half year on this (and an extra year since second Dragon Age), enough time to make things decent.
When it was announce IIRC, it was supposed to be published last year, so a year dalay makes me think that they are investing more than to just give us a crappy game.

Mass Effect 1 was released in 2007, DA: O in 2009, ME2 and DA:Awakeing in 2010, DA2 in 2011 and ME3 in 2012.
This was done by 2 studios, BW Edmonton and BW Montreal since 2009 (or since the EA takeover). So you could say that they had 2 studios working on DA:A, DA2, ME3 and a part of ME2 (assuming they started developement of ME2 right after the release of ME1).

Considering that the ME trilogy used the Unreal Engine 3 and the DA series used the Eclipse engine I think that this allowed BW to develop DA:A, DA2, ME3 and ME2 a lot faster because they were familiar with the engine.

Now BW Montreal is working on ME4 and BW Edmonton is working on DA3 and a whole new project with a whole new universe.
They use a new engine with the Frostbite3 engine which I could imagine could've taken a lot of time getting used to and develop as "fast" or efficient as they did with the later ME and DA titles in which they used a familiar engine. Maybe that is even why they needed to delay the game a year. Or maybe the just needed to take more time because it will be released on 5 platforms (PC, PS3&4, Xbox 360&One).

So I wouldn't automatticaly assume that BW Edmonton have more time (compared to their workload) now with DA3 and their new project than they had between 2009 and the release of ME3 where they worked on 2 francises together with another studio (=BW Montreal).

So you could say I'm sceptic if DA 3 will be as good as everybody/a lot of people expect but I hope it will be because there aren't enough great RPGs out there at the moment with a round based/P&P based combat system with an isometric perspective.

Regarding your comment about DA3 pissing over Witcher 3:
I don't know if The Witcher 3 should be compared to DA 3 at all. Assuming DA3 will be similar to DA: O and The Witcher 3 similar to Witcher 2.
After all when you consider game mechanics and the "pacing/flow" of the game I'd say that The Witcher 2&3 are a lot more similar to ME 2&3 than Dragon Age: O or Inquisition.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will definitely get this. Never played the other 2 but this looks brilliant.

Ruht

Will definitely get this. Never played the other 2 but this looks brilliant.
I haven't played them either, though I'm considering playing them before this one. I'm definitely buying the new, looks fantastic so far. Though I don't know whether to get it for PS4 or PC, but February is far so there is time to think about that.

Cina

Meh, not overly interested in The Witcher gam...ohmygodit's Charlies Dance, give!

Shark

@NotShark
Glad it's not being released on the last gen consoles. I'm getting sick of that.

Ainu

Looks absolutely stunning. I loved the first two games. They're far from perfect from a gameplay point of view, but the characters and tone of the game world do it for me. It's good to see they're taking their time to make this as good as possible, and it certainly seems like they're not cutting any corners technically either. I can't wait.

JackXX

The world is going to be apparently 20% bigger than Skyrim and in some of the Cities there will be thousands of people. This game really does look amazing. Probably the highlight of e3.

PlayerOne

Witcher 3 E3 gameplay demo combat was deliberately easy, CD Projekt says

Some who caught The Witcher 3's gameplay demo during Microsoft's E3 press conference were a bit worried by what they saw.

During the five minute demo, set about 10 hours into the game, series star Geralt is off on a griffin hunt in the No Man's Land wilderness. He prepares for combat, in classic Witcher fashion, by equipping a set of buffing potions and a small crossbow.

It's not long before Geralt comes up against a number of bandits, and easily dispatches them with a combination of magic attacks and devastating sword strikes. Geralt eventually tracks the griffin down, and takes just a few attacks to kill his quarry.

If you think it all looks a tad easy, then you're right. But don't expect the final version of the game to offer such an easy ride, executive producer John Mamais told Eurogamer.

"The combat is complex," he said.

"What we showed at the Microsoft conference was the easy way to play. We only had five minutes to show, so we had to play on easy and make the fights go really fast. You saw lots of dismemberment. It's not going to be so easy to cut somebody in half when the game comes out. We were showing off some features there.

"I was reading some feedback after the conference and people were saying, 'oh, that looks so easy,' but it ain't gonna be that easy."

The Witcher series is famous for its complex combat. Players need to prepare properly for encounters, think tactically about their foes and, when in battle, skillfully evade, dodge and defend.

Witcher 3 retains this feeling, but CD Projekt is trying to make the game easier to get to grips with at the start than previous games in the series.

"What we are doing in Witcher 3 is we're really focused on making a really nice soft learning curve for combat and storytelling," Mamais said.

"A lot of people are worried about Witcher 3, saying they won't understand it if they haven't played Witcher 1 and 2. Our philosophy is, okay, gameplay has to be a nice gentle curve, combat and story has to be a gentle curve.

"So, we're going to reintroduce the characters in the beginning, and we're going to spoon feed the gameplay mechanics you need to learn. So you're not going to be thrown into the pit of fire like you were in Witcher 2. I think we made a mistake doing that."

Meanwhile, Mamais confirmed that the version of Witcher 3 shown during Microsoft's E3 press conference was indeed running on an Xbox One at 900p resolution and 30 frames per second.

It looked pretty good to our eyes, but Mamais insisted it will end up looking even better by the time development is finished for Witcher 3's February 2015 release date.

"We're still optimising for Xbox One and PS4 so it should look better than that in theory," he said. "But everything we're doing optimisation wise for PS4 and Xbox One, we're also optimising for PC. It's a cross-platform engine, so any optimisation we do for one platform goes into the other platform and just speeds it up, basically."

A 900p resolution is CD Projekt's "minimum", Mamais said. "We will hit 900p no problem. We'd like to get it up to 1080p on Xbox One. That's our goal. Whether we can do it or not I don't know. We've got to squeeze everything we can out of the hardware.

"Microsoft and Sony say 900p is the sweet spot, and there's not a lot of difference visually between 900p and 1080p, but it's a hot topic now. So that's what my goal is."

To this end, CD Projekt is working directly with Microsoft engineers to try to improve the game's performance on Xbox One.

This month Microsoft updated the Xbox Development Kit (XDK) so games that are not using skeletal tracking with Kinect can choose to use the portion of the Xbox One's graphics processing unit that was previously reserved. Now, games have access to 100 per cent of the Xbox One GPU for increased resolution and graphical effects.

Mamais said CD Projekt had yet to take the new XDK out for a spin, but it will, as Witcher 3 does not use Kinect motion.

Witcher 3 does support voice control via Kinect for magic signs so players need not access the radial menu. But as Eurogamer reported yesterday, voice control remains in use if players have a Kinect despite the Xbox One update.

"The voice command side doesn't tap into the GPU side at all, so we can still have Kinect," Mamais said.

"So if you buy Kinect you can use it for voice commands and system commands. It's modest integration for voice. But since it's not using the camera at all we can use any extra power we can take to speed up the GPU."

As expected, on PlayStation 4 Witcher 3 outputs at 1080p resolution.

"It's just a slightly more powerful machine," Mamais said. "That's pretty known. But I think in the longer run everything is going to be on both platforms running at 1080p. It's just taking developers longer to do it than they expected because the architecture is a little more challenging on the Xbox One.

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox.

"But we anticipate being able to do 1080p on PS4 a little bit easier than on the Xbox."

As for PC, CD Projekt plans to add an ultra setting that, according to Mamais, you'll need a beefy machine to use.

"But I think it'll be worth it," he said. "Our ultra is pretty much the peak in games. At least we hope it is. The stuff we're doing is going to look really amazing."

Witcher 3 on PC ultra settings adds better tessellation, more physics, more post-processing and more realistic fur, Mamais said.

By comparison, the graphics of the console versions are equivalent to high settings on PC.
Eurogamer

Lance Uppercut

Anticipation list:

1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. The Rest

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Will I need to play the first 2 before I pick this up?
Nah, you don't really need to have played 1 to play 2 so.. Plus, loads of new players are gonna come to 3 since it wasn't on Playstation and it'll gained a lot of hype due to next gen and open world. They've said that for those new to the series don't worry, and that they'll provide you with all the info you need (or something like that).

Redo91

Nah, you don't really need to have played 1 to play 2 so.. Plus, loads of new players are gonna come to 3 since it wasn't on Playstation and it'll gained a lot of hype due to next gen and open world. They've said that for those new to the series don't worry, and that they'll provide you with all the info you need (or something like that).
Cool. So are the storylines linked in any way or is each a separate story with completely different characters in a new world?

Alock1

Well, there's the overarching story of Geralt and there's a consistence to the world, but the stories are separate for the most part. There will be references back to the others but I don't think it's necessary at all.

Cina

The second was a bit shit though. The combat was dull as feck. I think they dressed it up in the extreme difficulty and learning curve in order to try and compensate for how one dimensional a hack n' slash it actually was.

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
The second was a bit shit though. The combat was dull as feck. I think they dressed it up in the extreme difficulty and learning curve in order to try and compensate for how one dimensional a hack n' slash it actually was.
Yeah the combat system wasn't all that, but it's not like other games of the same mould (Skyrim) are highly complex in that regard (compared to round based RPGs).
The graphics were amazing though. It's IMO still the RPG on PC with the best graphics despite being a few years old now.
The story was quite good...and also titties!

Alock1

I'm one of the few who liked the combat I think.

I just thought it was far too clunky due to how they'd mapped everything. At first I didn't like it as I was trying to be tactical and getting to the right spell or placing a defense just didn't feel fluid enough, which was annoying as feck when they're charging at you.
Towards the end I was just spamming the same spell and using my finishing to dick everything in sight just because it easier than putting the effort in and using strategy - which tbf, I found quite fun. Still, I felt the depth on offer was decent it just wasn't readily available and wasted as a result.

The potions were ridiculous, they should have been available all the time.

walsh

Massively disagree. Really enjoyed it. Combat was decent enough for me, story and visuals were excellent.

Revan

Assumptionman
The opening cinematic:

Amazing!

The witch there must be Yennefer.

Now someone tell me if the books are good, and if they're translated into English.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I know it's just a cinematic but New Dragon Age will definitely have some tough competition.

As long as devs will stay on original books with all the mature content and the storyline it's gonna be a real deal.

Oo0AahCantona

I dont take game hype lightly, i believe the witcher 2 to be one of the greatest games ever made, one of the only games ive played repeatedly again and again without that dull feeling.

if they accomplish the same "vibe" and feeling 2 had, and the open world esc gameplay works how we imagine it to, i think it could be up there again down to personal preference.

Stunning achievement from the studio to create this series the way they have.

PlayerOne

I know it's just a cinematic but New Dragon Age will definitely have some tough competition.

As long as devs will stay on original books with all the mature content and the storyline it's gonna be a real deal.
The Witcher and Dragon Age are not even in the same league IMO, the Witcher games piss all over DA, although the new DA looks decent.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would witcher 1 or 2 run on a laptop with a low ends graphics card? I manage to run far cry 3 on it.

If so, then which one should I get?

PlayerOne

Would witcher 1 or 2 run on a laptop with a low ends graphics card? I manage to run far cry 3 on it.

If so, then which one should I get?
I'm not a PC gamer so I wouldn't know but I seen people run it on low specs, but don't take my advise on it. You can skip the first one, you won't miss much. The fighting in that game isn't that good. Get the second one though, it's a must play. I played it about 3 times, every time with a different outcome.

Cina

The Witcher and Dragon Age are not even in the same league IMO, the Witcher games piss all over DA, although the new DA looks decent.
Ha? DA:O is much better than either Witcher game.

PlayerOne

Nah, it wasn't. The choices you make in DA don't have much impact on the game, unlike Witcher. Plus, the Witcher has a much better story.

amolbhatia50k

I'm not a PC gamer so I wouldn't know but I seen people run it on low specs, but don't take my advise on it. You can skip the first one, you won't miss much. The fighting in that game isn't that good. Get the second one though, it's a must play. I played it about 3 times, every time with a different outcome.
I think I'll get it. Dark souls 2 works fine.

amolbhatia50k

I tried dragon age origins. It's got the turn based combat hasn't it? Can't stand the combat of dark souls, sky rim and from clips I've seen, the witcher.

Cina

Nah, it wasn't. The choices you make in DA don't have much impact on the game, unlike Witcher. Plus, the Witcher has a much better story.
They have plenty of impact but not quite as much, no. I also wouldn't say there's much in the story . I preferred the DA:O story and characters.

Anyway, you're missing the most important thing, the game play, which is way superior.

Cina

I tried dragon age origins. It's got the turn based combat hasn't it? Can't stand the combat of dark souls, sky rim and from clips I've seen, the witcher.
Not really turn based. You can do everything in real time but you can pause the combat to tell your characters what to do. A bit like KOTOR.