Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

MadMike

I personally thought the empress ending was horrifying for Ciri. I get the idea, she comes into a position at the heart of the most powerful nation in the world and can change things for the better from the inside. But there's no way that would be a happy life for Ciri. She has spent her entire life wanting to be free and living her own life away from all those people who have a plan for her.

As empress her entire life would be pretty much written in stone for her, it's about as free as a lifetime prison sentence. Not to mention she'd have to go live with one of the most horrible individuals in the witcher universe, a man who has caused innumerable suffering and death across the world and pretty much made her life a living hell for so long.

A witcher life would give her the freedom she's always wanted. Sure it's dangerous, but for her, a very skilled fighter and incredibly powerful source, it's arguably far, far less so than a life among the politics and scheming at the heart of Nilfgaard, where she'd face a constant threat of assassination and plotting against her for the rest of her life. She can easily deal with danger she can see coming as a witcher, less so with the various hidden dangers as empress.

And if she gets tired of the witchering and solitude, she can just go live with Geralt and Yen for as long as she wants. It's a no brainer really.
Ciri has a very strong sense of responsibility and duty. It resonates throughout the game. If you try and talk her down from facing the White Frost in the end, something that won’t even affect humanity in anyone’s lifespan, you get rebuked and with a massive put-down to boot. “What do you know silly, you’re but a simple Witcher”.

She can save lives at risk to her own, so she chooses to. She always takes the tough option to help others. Similarly as Empress she has the option to make the lives of so many people so much better. So she chooses to.

Emphasis on chooses. Cause y’all are forgetting that after she has a talk with her dad in Vizima, she chooses to assume that responsibility. She still has the option to fake her death after fighting Wild Hunt/White Frost and slipping into the shadows to become a Witcher, but she does not.

Last edited:

NYAS

Anyone else considering a 3rd playthrough given recent events? :drool:

There’s no football on for months and Netflix is going to get boring. Why not?

I honestly don’t know what else to do.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone else considering a 3rd playthrough given recent events? :drool:

There’s no football on for months and Netflix is going to get boring. Why not?

I honestly don’t know what else to do.
Definitely worth it. I’m considering it as well but only played through Red Dead Redemption 2 once so might give that another go.

Art Vandelay

I've still got a save in Skellige that I'm dipping in and out of. At the minute though mostly playing Division 2 with mates and replaying Resident Evil 2 while I wait for RE3, then it's Final Fantasy 7. I'm taking my time with TW3, no hurry, no rush, just going back to it when I feel the urge. It still wows me all these years later every time I do go back to it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I got up to Skellige last year and then stopped playing for ages. Can't remember what was going on now. Annoying, because I did exactly the same in my first attempt at a run through but got nowhere near as far. I wanna carry on but I won't have a clue what's happening. No way I'm starting again.

I also had a great method for Gwent n all, which I obviously also can't remember.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Can someone gimme some advice on how to spend my ability points? Got 14 available. So far, I’ve filled out my fast and strong attacks. I’m Level 32 and have spent 30 pts in combat, 7 in signs and 4 in general.

I’ve been taking my time in the game and am at “Final Preparations” in the main quest.

As for Gwent, I’ve been sticking with Northern Realms and relying on spies and dummies. Has worked out fine so far. Not sure why people are saying Monsters are the best faction?

Eriku

Definitely worth it. I’m considering it as well but only played through Red Dead Redemption 2 once so might give that another go.
Hah, I was considering playing RDR, but I don’t want to advance the plot too much:

Arthur’s health deteriorating and him coughing and spluttering certainly won’t suffice as escapism!

As for what OP says, I’ll have to do my 2nd playthrough first.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have just recently got this, my girlfriend bought it for me.

I absolutely loved the series and despite having only just started, adore the game.

Given recent events, I think a lot of my spare time will be devoted to playing this!

Man of Leisure

Finally finished this. Got the ending where Geralt ends up alone and Ciri becomes a witcher. Actually think this is the best possible ending. Didn't bother with the expansion packs as I'm pretty burned out, got up to level 37 explored every single question mark on the map (except for one annoying spot on Skellige where you're on top of a mountain but there's nothing there--couldn't find a cave either), ended up with like 150k crowns.

Tbh, while I enjoyed it, I think the game is a little overrated for all the praise it gets. Liked GTA 4&5, Oblivion/Skyrim, Fallout 3, Mass Effect prolly more. But a very solid game nonetheless. Towards the end Geralt was so overpowered, just rolling and Quening through everything with ease.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Finally finished this. Got the ending where Geralt ends up alone and Ciri becomes a witcher. Actually think this is the best possible ending. Didn't bother with the expansion packs as I'm pretty burned out, got up to level 37 explored every single question mark on the map (except for one annoying spot on Skellige where you're on top of a mountain but there's nothing there--couldn't find a cave either), ended up with like 150k crowns.

Tbh, while I enjoyed it, I think the game is a little overrated for all the praise it gets. Liked GTA 4&5, Oblivion/Skyrim, Fallout 3, Mass Effect prolly more. But a very solid game nonetheless. Towards the end Geralt was so overpowered, just rolling and Quening through everything with ease.
Well, that is just madness: I don’t mean finding it overrated or the combat easy, but skipping the expansion packs. They are two of the best ever and better than most of the original game.

Take a breather, and go once more into the breach...

Man of Leisure

Well, that is just madness: I don’t mean finding it overrated or the combat easy, but skipping the expansion packs. They are two of the best ever and better than most of the original game.

Take a breather, and go once more into the breach...
Hmm, maybe I'll wait a couple weeks and head back in... just so sick of swimming/boating around Skellige :lol: The lack of fighting anything but sirens in Skellige was super annoying.

Irwin99

Hmm, maybe I'll wait a couple weeks and head back in... just so sick of swimming/boating around Skellige :lol: The lack of fighting anything but sirens in Skellige was super annoying.
I'd definitely recommend giving both expansions a go after a break. On my first experience with the Witcher 3 I loved it but there were points where, like you, I just kind of got tired of certain areas and I felt the story didn't flow at the right pace at times. I then went back and played the expansions and they just blew me away. I enjoyed the stories for the two DLCs more than the main game.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I was feeling the same as you, took a break and finished heart of stone last week. Didn't bother with any side quests / contracts and just focused on the main story which was really tight and fun. Definitely recommend jumping back in just for that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh, I completely agree with you here, for me, Skellige is a massive chore and that's a shame as I love the lore around that area.

Art Vandelay

I like Skellige. Last time I was there I fought some bandits, alghouls, a cyclops, two bears, five wraiths and I think some erinyae all within a two minute ride on Roach along the same road. Friendly place.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You’ll really enjoy the first DLC, I reckon. It’s about 10 hours long, with a really compact and engaging plot. Bit more linear in comparison to the gigantic free roaming world the base game puts out.

NYAS

I like Skellige. Last time I was there I fought some bandits, alghouls, a cyclops, two bears, five wraiths and I think some erinyae all within a two minute ride on Roach along the same road. Friendly place.
I remember exactly where in Skellige this is :lol: south of the miner’s camp in the middle of Skellige, past that quiet road where the non-quest werewolf chills with a massive pack of wolves.

I need to get back into this, I miss it too much.

Art Vandelay

I remember exactly where in Skellige this is :lol: south of the miner’s camp in the middle of Skellige, past that quiet road where the non-quest werewolf chills with a massive pack of wolves.

I need to get back into this, I miss it too much.
Yeah it was near a camp, there was also a bloodied wagon nearby which I assume is quest or contract related. The ogre was just sleeping on the road.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Reloading this as I got 2/3rds through last time and never finished it. No better time to start from fresh and work through this

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Am coming towards the eind of this now. Overall it's been great but the last few storylines have taken forever - just in finding what to do next and then where the hell to find all the people.

A great game although I'm not sure I would replay it - RDR2 would be first anyway.

Irwin99

Am coming towards the eind of this now. Overall it's been great but the last few storylines have taken forever - just in finding what to do next and then where the hell to find all the people.

A great game although I'm not sure I would replay it - RDR2 would be first anyway.
Will you play the DLC for the Witcher 3? The two dlc's have much tighter storylines than the main game and pushes it up another level in my opinion.

The Cat

Will you play the DLC for the Witcher 3? The two dlc's have much tighter storylines than the main game and pushes it up another level in my opinion.
Yes I will do those - will have a break first though this main story seems to still have some legs in it yet.

Art Vandelay

I've been happily playing through it again, currently in Skellige for the first time since my original playthrough and finding a lot of stuff I missed. It's been out 5 years and still looks better than most games coming out today. I'm still taking screenshots.

I think I missed the Nithing quest first time through somehow, that was interesting.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
One quest in skellige isles is bugged for me. The one where you have to give a letter to the armourer in Kaer Trolde. Can never find the armourer at his workshop. Finished the entire game but that one quest isn’t done.

Art Vandelay

One quest in skellige isles is bugged for me. The one where you have to give a letter to the armourer in Kaer Trolde. Can never find the armourer at his workshop. Finished the entire game but that one quest isn’t done.
It's a known buggy quest. I had the same issue, I couldn't talk to him when I went back. I looked it up and waiting beside him seems to fix it. It worked for me.

Rake

I've been happily playing through it again, currently in Skellige for the first time since my original playthrough and finding a lot of stuff I missed. It's been out 5 years and still looks better than most games coming out today. I'm still taking screenshots.

I think I missed the Nithing quest first time through somehow, that was interesting.
There is an HD reworked mod that was recently updated and it looks magnificent, if your card has enough RAM.

Art Vandelay

There is an HD reworked mod that was recently updated and it looks magnificent, if your card has enough RAM.
I'm on Xbox One X. It looks absolutely magnificent in 4K HDR. I'm afraid to look at PC mods in case it suddenly ruins the illusion of how good it looks on the Xbox. :lol:

The Cat

Finished it. Was a really good way to spend a lot of time going through it. Found some of the quests a chore as in finding where to go it wasn't always apparent but overall excellent. The story was decent and I got a reqarding ending.

Gonna leave the 2 expansions for a week or two and do something else for a bit.

Art Vandelay

Is Hearts of Stone also worth it?
Very much so. Though they are very different beasts, Hearts of Stone is entirely story driven within the original open world. Whereas Blood and Wine takes you to a whole new map which is another open world to play through. You should be able to get both together cheap enough, I think it was £20 for the pair when it came out.

Hearts of Stone has the best villain in the series.

Handré1990

It's almost like a game and a half for less than a third of the price of most full games and is better than most full games.
Yeah, it struck me as very odd at the time. I’d just bought the original at half price and were about half way through when I read glowing reviews on here about the dlcs. Best business I’ve done on the PS store!