Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So, I watched this without having played or read the books at all. This was a bit of new territory for me because normally with fantasy movies/series I had read the books before hand. I have to say I didn't understand everything but I also wasn't totally lost, maybe some on here can help me out.
But first, couple of points what I enjoyed and what I didn't like:
- It's instantly clear that the series is heavily influenced by a video game, Geralts voice, the camera setting etc. This results in some cool things, I did like most of the fight scenes for example but also in some storytelling that is quite unusual, e.g. the quest style tasks. But I guess with the biggest fanbase coming from the video games the focus is fair enough.
- The story is veeery loose and quite random. Big time jumps don't really help, definitely got confused a couple of times. It felt like the two main characters of the season, Geralt and Yennefer, just strolled along without a purpose for quite a big part of the season.
- Character development was also a bit weird, especially Yennefer goes from an almost animal like being to a very confident and over-ambitious person within about 2 episodes.
- I generally really like the scenery and the different settings. Cgi ranged from very bad (first monster, gold dragon wtf?) to decent, the show is also doing a very good job in portraying magic I thought.
- Very good acting all around, sometimes they've been let down by the writers with quite cringey and cheesy dialogues but maybe that's just me, I also dislike the majority of superhero movies who suffer the same issue. As for the specific characters:

- Geralt: Very good actor, good lead character. Its a bit hard to really understand what his additional magic(?) skills are apart from being a brilliant sword fighter but maybe it'll get explained in other seasons. I also don't really understand the roles of witchers in the universe. They seem quite disliked for some reason because I think they're quite useful. Also, everyone seems to know their power but quite a lot of morons already thought it would be a good idea to look for a fight with Geralt, bit dumb if you ask me.
- Yennefer: She's the only thing I read something about before hand as I heard that people wanted Eva Green to play her and that she's well liked. Gotta say I expected a bit more, the actress is great, but the character not so much. Comes across as quite a delusional and spoiled brat, yes I know hard childhood and all that but all she does is bitch about how no one is worthy and how she wants better. Also, for her being apparently very powerful she has been smacked around quite a bit, had no chance against this assassin mage with his scorpion pet for example.
- Ciri: Actress has a great presence (creepy face) but the character hasn't really done that much, has she? What was the whole forest trip about, seemed like a waste of time. One for the future with her being very powerful.
- The bard (forgot his name): Entertaining, although they tend to go over the top with his jokes. The witcher song is great.
- Tissaia (the teacher?): Very cool character, bit like a younger and more attractive McGonagall. Enjoyed her teaching that brat Yennefer some manners. Only letdown was how weak she turned out to be in the final battle, is she dead now or still alive?
- The cintra queen: Liked her at the beginning but over time (well going backwards in time actually) she became quite dislikeable. Has also quite a spoiled brat character it seems, why the hell would she go behind Geralts back not only once but twice? Ungrateful idiot, good riddance I feel.
- Fenri and Tiss: Very minor characters but I quite liked both, shame they both died already.
-Stregabor and this other mage fighting mage: Hard to make out their ultimate game, what was the last scene of the fighting guy about? (When he got conscious again after losing the fight)
- The nilfgaard duo (Fringilla and uhm, dunno): Brilliant, propably my favorite minor characters. Great cast, the guy looks like one hell determined villain and the mage is oozing cold class (She seems also quite strong?) Ultimately I don't really understand Nilfgaards endgame? Is it the classic case of a nation wanting to conquer as much as possible or are there other reasons? I feel I missed out on some sort of explanation.

Also, how exactly does magic work? At first I thought that they need to drain their power from living surroundings like plants (hence the flower scene right at the beginning of Yennefers teaching) but it doesnt really seem to be the case? And what was that big event a couple of years back everyone is refering to? Conjunction of spheres or something like that?

Right, gotta read through the thread now to see if I can make sense of things, would appreciate answers nevertheless of course.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Assuming HBO follows a similar release time with the new GoT in 2021, I’d imagine they‘d want this out as early as possible. Fairly close to the holidays, not much past from when it was released initially.

Revan

Assumptionman
I disagree. If you read the books, make a new thread and discuss it there. No different to GoT.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? That if you don't want any book discussion, create a new thread with show only.

I obviously created the thread for both book and show discussions, and for more than one year there was book only discussion (or talking about the casting choices related to their book and show counterparts). There have been massive spoilers given from the very first page of the thread.

It is going to be a bloodbath either way. It is the destiny of these shows.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Shouldn't it be the other way around? That if you don't want any book discussion, create a new thread with show only.

I obviously created the thread for both book and show discussions, and for more than one year there was book only discussion (or talking about the casting choices related to their book and show counterparts). There have been massive spoilers given from the very first page of the thread.

You were the absolute worst person in the GoT thread for book spoilers :lol: Well, until Robin came along at least.

Surely it's easier for the people who've read the books to go create their own thread now seeing as they are in the minority and this has a big fat NETFLIX in the title which implies the TV show.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Watched Ep1. Not impressed. Sword fighting was excellent and Renfri was :drool:.

The Eden scene was there just to show boobs, not that I'm complaining.

Pacing was off and dragged at times, dialogues were meh and acting apart from Geralt and Renfri was also forgettable.

4/10

Conor

It literally says Netflix in the title.

Revan

Assumptionman
It literally says Netflix in the title.
The Netflix part was added recently from some mod (I guess). You like it better now?

In all honesty, I don't know why I should make another thread to discuss book-related things after making this thread to discuss book-related things and discussing them for more than a year.

If people want a 100% spoiler-free thread, just make your own thread and mods should ban anyone who mentions the book word there. Also, to book readers, be careful in non-spoiling stuff (like putting them in spoilers). Of course, that is easier said than done, it just didn't work in Game of Thrones, but it has worked perfectly well in The Expanse.

NB: Bear in mind that there are also spoilers coming from the games. While they are not canon, the stories of them take place after the books, so there is some leakage of information.

Last edited:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Jesus Christ this thread is somehow getting even worse for arsiness than the GoT ones were

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
In all honesty, I don't know why I should make another thread to discuss book-related things after making this thread to discuss book-related things and discussing them for more than a year.
Book related things such as your first post...

Henry Cavill confirmed to play Geralt. Now please get a great Yen.
...or...?

Australia is on fire and the US is poking Iran with a stick to start a war. Why are people picking this hill to die on?!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Australia is on fire and the US is poking Iran with a stick to start a war. Why are people picking this hill to die on?!
Because the Fringilla casting should’ve been the mage lady with a fair complexion in the Tower with Yennefer in the last episode for serious reasons.

And cleavage.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Soo, does the updated title mean we can continue talking about the books?

Conor

The Netflix part was added recently from some mod (I guess). You like it better now?

If people want a 100% spoiler-free thread, just make your own thread and mods should ban anyone who mentions the book word there. Also, to book readers, be careful in non-spoiling stuff (like putting them in spoilers). Of course, that is easier said than done, it just didn't work in Game of Thrones, but it has worked perfectly well in The Expanse.

NB: Bear in mind that there are also spoilers coming from the games. While they are not canon, the stories of them take place after the books, so there is some leakage of information.
You have to be one of the most ignorant posters on the forum.

Ainu

To be fair, @Revan did start the thread and we have been discussing book-related stuff since more than a year before the first season aired. Some people just enjoy comparing stuff between the show and the books and speculating about what that means for future seasons.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
To be fair, @Revan did start the thread and we have been discussing book-related stuff since more than a year before the first season aired. Some people just enjoy comparing stuff between the show and the books and speculating about what that means for future seasons.
To be fair, his first post was about the Cavill casting for the TV show.

Revan

Assumptionman
It was actually about him being cast as Geralt and wishing they now cast a great Yen. Both pieces of information that come directly from the books.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It was actually about him being cast as Geralt and wishing they now cast a great Yen. Both pieces of information that come directly from the books.
That's a stretch mate, like "stretch armstrong melted so that he stretches 10 metres" levels of stretching. Obviously he's being cast as the same character from the books - you are aware how adaptations work right?

Ainu

It's been a mix of game talk, book talk, casting talk and speculating about the show based on all of those things since then. The thread has been a place for all of that stuff. It's only now that the season has been aired and there are plenty of newcomers that it's become a problem. That's understandable but at the same time you can see how it's annoying for those of us who want to continue discussing freely that we should suddenly do this in another thread than the one we've been using for more than a year.

The mods will have to decide, I guess.

Conor

It doesn't really matter who started the thread to be honest, it's a thread for the TV show, and multiple people have asked nicely for the previously used rules regarding a thread for a show based on books to be applied, but unfortunately that would mean the OP would have to concede something, which doesn't seem in his nature from his posts on this forum.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's been a mix of game talk, book talk, casting talk and speculating about the show based on all of those things since then. The thread has been a place for all of that stuff. It's only now that the season has been aired and there are plenty of newcomers that it's become a problem. That's understandable but at the same time you can see how it's annoying for those of us who want to continue discussing freely that we should suddenly do this in another thread than the one we've been using for more than a year.

Forgive me, I'm in a mood to be playful but admittedly it's to cover up how angry/depressed I am.

Also tagging @Revan

Revan

Assumptionman
That's a stretch mate, like "stretch armstrong melted so that he stretches 10 metres" levels of stretching. Obviously he's being cast as the same character from the books - you are aware how adaptations work right?
Precisely. In the very first post, there was information about casting someone as a character from the books, long before that name was mentioned from Netflix or the show's producers.

I have to agree with this.

Revan

Assumptionman
Cavill was announced as being cast the same day as this thread got created.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...vill-cast-as-geralt-in-witcher-netflix-series
You're right. The OP post mentions by name also Yen which was months before she was cast.

But in all honesty, by just reading the first page it is clear that it was a TV show, but in relation with the books and games. People were discussing how certain events will play out, casting choices (including for characters which we still haven't seen), and most importantly

I might be wrong, but I *think* I remember reading that when the show was announced. Could be wrong and it could’ve changed.

Some of the good stuff that happened in the first two books (off the top of my head so there’s probably more);

How Geralt became known as ‘The Butcher of Blaviken’
His fight with the Striga (think it’s the very first cutscene/video that plays before The Witcher 1)
How he met/became destined with Ciri
How he met/became destined with Yen
The time him, Yen, Dandelion and some others fought a dragon
Yennefers backstory
————
It’s an interesting one though, like Revan mentions the books are jampacked with action sequences, war, politics, sex etc. but at its core it is very introspective. Geralt oft finds himself filled with self-doubt about his worldly philosophies. How well that translates - or if they even take that direction - will be interesting.
Give a price to this post. Absolutely spot on. Just 14 months before the show was released.

Andersons Dietician

heck can we not just be sensible and put things from games and books that will hopefully show up in the future in spoilers. Personally I don’t really care if book or game stuff gets mentioned but for some I guess it’s a real problem if you’re new to the world.

Heck wonder what you guys are going to be like when the Damascus Unicorn of death shows up and Geralt has to fight a horde of flying squirrels.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Is it wrong that I fancied Yennifer just as much when she was a hunchback :confused:

Reiver

Thoroughly enjoyed this having loved both the games and the books.
My one complaint would be how difficult it was to tell what parts were set on the past and what parts in the present. Haven't checked through 20 odd pages of previous posts so don't know if this problem was just felt by me or others.

mu4c_20le

Is it wrong that I fancied Yennifer just as much when she was a hunchback :confused:
Think it's dodgy that you fancy young girls, period! I enjoyed her performance as Yen, but found the romance scenes with Geralt a bit awkward, as it felt like he was messing around with his mates daughter.

Art Vandelay

heck can we not just be sensible and put things from games and books that will hopefully show up in the future in spoilers. Personally I don’t really care if book or game stuff gets mentioned but for some I guess it’s a real problem if you’re new to the world.

Heck wonder what you guys are going to be like when the Damascus Unicorn of death shows up and Geralt has to fight a horde of flying squirrels.
The threesome with Geralt, Yen and the dwarf who's name I forget is going to be messy as feck in here.

Sylar

The issue was this was a thread about the show seemingly when the show started. I don't think anybody who started the show would have gone back and read through the thread to see if it had non TV show stuff (and I don't think it was mentioned either)
And looking at the first post it seems to just indicate that it's going to be about the show

It now has the book spoilers part in the title which is a dilemma

Now asking for book / game spoilers to be put in spoiler tags is a nuisance but not putting them will be an annoyance too.

Anyway if this manages to top GoT in terms of timeline guessing, spoilers then that is some doing

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Think it's dodgy that you fancy young girls, period! I enjoyed her performance as Yen, but found the romance scenes with Geralt a bit awkward, as it felt like he was messing around with his mates daughter.
She's 23 mate.

Ok I recently turned 41, but this level of ire towards me fancying a 23 year old really makes me feel bad about myself.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Comparing between the books and show regarding events already transpired is fine. But the main thread for the show should not have any book talk that may impact ones viewing experience in the future. That's my take any way.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I dunno, I figure that if you're gonna say something is amazing then it kind of needs to be. I mean don't get me wrong, it's OK but people are writing home about it.
Not ‘cos its the Stairway to Heaven of minstrel fetishists though... more ‘cos it’s the “webuyanycar.com” of meemable jingles.

Though thats a bit harsh. It’s probably somewhere equidistant between the two.