Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Andersons Dietician

That Anya Chalotra looks very young in that picture. Actually she is 22, after some research there are rumours that she is a younger version of Yen, think it would be weird if she is the real Yen. But who knows. Looks more the age you would expect of teen Ciri.

Revan

Assumptionman
That Anya Chalotra looks very young in that picture. Actually she is 22, after some research there are rumours that she is a younger version of Yen, think it would be weird if she is the real Yen. But who knows. Looks more the age you would expect of teen Ciri.
Actually, Yen despite being close to a hundred years old (in the games, in the books it should start around 80), she looks like a woman on her early twenties. So the actress being 22 is the right age.

On the game, she looks more mature, but her appearance shouldn't have changed cause sorceresses don't age.

Andersons Dietician

Actually, Yen despite being close to a hundred years old (in the games, in the books it should start around 80), she looks like a woman on her early twenties. So the actress being 22 is the right age.

On the game, she looks more mature, but her appearance shouldn't have changed cause sorceresses don't age.
Yeah, I mean my introduction to all of this was the game and I’ve only just started reading the first book so the Yen I’m familiar with is more mature but I just have a fear that she’ll come across as just like some teeny bopper witch instead of a really old, wise good looking witch.
If that makes any sense :lol:
Cavill is 35 I think.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hoping this is decent. Couldn't get into the game so wanna just watch this instead...

Ainu

My only reference point is TW3 so those look like castings for a high school drama as opposed to the characters I saw in the game. Both look too innocent and kiddish.
Ciri is supposed to look innocent and kiddish, because, well, she's an innocent, young child when she's introduced in the story. As for Yenn, she's actually described as having the appearance of a 20 year old girl in the books. I don't see any reason why Anya Chalotra wouldn't make a good Yennefer. It all depends on her acting ability.

I also saw that they casted Renfri's character, which means one of my favourite short stories is in. :drool:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

She should look around 35ish imo. Maturity due to aura and all that. I don't think a 22 years old has that aura yet no matter how great her acting was.

Ainu

She should look around 35ish imo. Maturity due to aura and all that. I don't think a 22 years old has that aura yet no matter how great her acting was.
I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that a character, described by the author and creator of that character as looking like a 20 year old, should look like a 35 year old.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that a character, described by the author and creator of that character as looking like a 20 year old, should look like a 35 year old.
Indeed. She looks like a woman on her early twenties (though on the game she looks more like someone on her late twenties/early thirties). Which doesn't mean that she is not mature, after all she starts as an 80yo. wise sorceress. Can the young actress actually play a mature role is an another matter, obviously.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't mind unknowns being cast.

Nobody knew who Emilia Clarke was before GoT and she looked great naked.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But the series isn't based on the game. And you literally said "She should look around 35ish imo."
That's not what i meant. It's hollywood. They'll have no problem making someone look 10 years older or younger.

I just thought that a woman ages hundreds years old isnt suited to be played by a 22years old, charisma and presences of an adult just aint there imho. Regardless of how old she looks hence i personally prefer yen to be played by older actress.

Adam-Utd

That's not what i meant. It's hollywood. They'll have no problem making someone look 10 years older or younger.

I just thought that a woman ages hundreds years old isnt suited to be played by a 22years old, charisma and presences of an adult just aint there imho. Regardless of how old she looks hence i personally prefer yen to be played by older actress.
It depends on her personality really, we know nothing about the girl apart from a young face. The casters aren't idiots i'm sure, so unless they take Yen a completely different direction, i'm sure she will be fine.

The problem with this series is most of us already have a definition of what Yen and the other characters "should" look like, so it's difficult to re-imagine her from the game.

Ainu

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure how you can judge that without having seen her perform the role. There's not a lot to find about Anya Chalotra but I've read nothing but overwhelming positives about her theatre stage presence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre...-stratford-east-review-brutal-bravura-indian/
The adolescent world weariness she playfully affects curdles into something harder and more bitter as Gangwar’s grip on the village tightens, before finally erupting with undeniable power into the fiery zeal of a revolutionary.
https://www.ft.com/content/a0979676-ba61-11e8-8274-55b72926558f
Chalotra is excellent, transforming from candid, carefree young girl into traumatised, avenging orator.
https://www.ayoungertheatre.com/review-the-village-theatre-royal-stratford-east/
Acting-wise, Chalotra in the lead role is pretty marvellous. She can be funny, serious, distressing, and charismatic.
Sounds like she at least deserves the benefit of doubt.

Andersons Dietician

That Freya Allan is in an episode of into the Badlands season 3x05 was just having a look, doesn’t say anything in it she plays young Mariva, (slave girl) she is in the first few minutes of the episode. She looks quite lanky, but yeah could see a certain likeness to the Wild Hunt version of Ciri.

Art Vandelay

Indeed. She looks like a woman on her early twenties (though on the game she looks more like someone on her late twenties/early thirties). Which doesn't mean that she is not mature, after all she starts as an 80yo. wise sorceress. Can the young actress actually play a mature role is an another matter, obviously.
I thought it just said she had the body of a 20 year old and left it at that. I could be wrong though. I have trouble picturing her as anything below 30.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Cast:
Geralt - Henry Cavill
Yennefer - Anya Chalotra
Ciri - Freya Allan
Princess Renfri - Millie Brady
Queen Calanthe - Jodhi May

What we know:
- Based on the Novel Series (not the games).
- There will be 8 episodes.
- Alik Sakharov to direct four episodes (director of photography for the pilot and 3 additional episodes of GoT Season 1).
- Release date possibly 2020.​

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You guys should probably take Witcher 3 with a pinch of salt as this show is going to be set years before all that cannon. Jodhi May for anyone interested is Alice Munro (the blond girl) from Last of the Mohicans. Don't know any of the others cast though.

I'm glad they've gone for unknowns for the rest of the roles, didn't really want any big names being thrown around for some of the other characters. Give us new blood.

Bobski

How the actress playing Yen works of Cavill is the issue, selling that relationship is key. Anya Chalotra is a beautiful girl(based on the limited pics i have seen), girl might be the problem though, might look young enough to be his daughter.

afrocentricity

The amount of whining about casting choices when we haven't seen anything of anything yet.... It's amazing.
Triggered?

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

How the actress playing Yen works of Cavill is the issue, selling that relationship is key. Anya Chalotra is a beautiful girl(based on the limited pics i have seen), girl might be the problem though, might look young enough to be his daughter.
Yeah, Yennefer is supposed to be the dominant one in that relationship really. There's rumours that she might a younger version of Yennefer, but then wouldn't that require a younger Geralt too?

Fringilla Vigo being cast so early is a bit odd, didn't she only turn up in like the second last book? They might change her back story to give her more relevance given they've race swapped her. She is Anna Henrietta's cousin, who is related to Emhyr, who is of course the father of Ciri.

I'm hoping they set it as Geralt and Ciri are travelling to Kaer Morhen and he is stelling her the short stories. Kind of like that old Jim Henson The Story Teller TV show. Which like The Witcher was kind of twisted fairy tales.

Andersons Dietician

Anya Chalotra the lady playing Yen is in a new show that airs tonight called Wonderlust if anyone wants to check it out. Saw it on IMDB along with a bunch of new set pics of her.

NYAS

Yeah, Yennefer is supposed to be the dominant one in that relationship really. There's rumours that she might a younger version of Yennefer, but then wouldn't that require a younger Geralt too?

Fringilla Vigo being cast so early is a bit odd, didn't she only turn up in like the second last book? They might change her back story to give her more relevance given they've race swapped her. She is Anna Henrietta's cousin, who is related to Emhyr, who is of course the father of Ciri.

I'm hoping they set it as Geralt and Ciri are travelling to Kaer Morhen and he is stelling her the short stories. Kind of like that old Jim Henson The Story Teller TV show. Which like The Witcher was kind of twisted fairy tales.
Fringilla Vigo is Anna Henrietta’s cousin? You learn something new everyday!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is the whole 8 episode thing definitely (pre) determined or are they open to making it into something bigger if it works? I mean, 8 episodes is, like, nothing for this sort of tale.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I read the trilogy of books om vavation and am playing through the game again, which hyped me.

On the flight back I sawJustice League and thought Henry Cavill is far too pretty to play Geralt. Oh well.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Is the whole 8 episode thing definitely (pre) determined or are they open to making it into something bigger if it works? I mean, 8 episodes is, like, nothing for this sort of tale.
Doesn't the first season just cover one book? I'm guessing this show will cost Netflix a ton of money bc of attracting a big time lead actor and more importantly that it ll be heavy on set and custome design as well as SFX. They probably don't want to over commit without first seeing how it's received.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I read the trilogy of books
'The' trilogy? The 'trilogy'?
I mean, there are eight books to The Witcher series, with five consecutive novels, two loose collections of short stories, and another novel set in between those two. ^^

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
'The' trilogy? The 'trilogy'?
I mean, there are eight books to The Witcher series, with five consecutive novels, two loose collections of short stories, and another novel set in between those two. ^^
Oh wow I bought a box with Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire and assumed that was a trilogy. I ordered the rest right away:nervous:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Doesn't the first season just cover one book? I'm guessing this show will cost Netflix a ton of money bc of attracting a big time lead actor and more importantly that it ll be heavy on set and custome design as well as SFX. They probably don't want to over commit without first seeing how it's received.
Could go bothways. They could do it just barely enough and go skint on the actual budget.

Revan

Assumptionman

Yeah, was surprised with that. Are they making the entire Nilfgaarden Empire dark skinned (then, how does this work with the white Ciri) or just her?!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, was surprised with that. Are they making the entire Nilfgaarden Empire dark skinned (then, how does this work with the white Ciri) or just her?!
Been over this before, going with monoracial countries would make little sense and create plot holes. If they're smart, they'll make the whole setting multi-racial

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So I just finished Blood and Wined (worst ending possible, oops) and during the ending that cnut Geralt spoiled a major plotpoint of the books.

Bastard :(