Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I know nothing of the backstory, but it did feel like they were laying the ground work for the future seasons with this one. If the books are more coherent and present going forward then this could be amazing. Already enjoyed it a lot, the only downfall for me is that it did feel pretty rushed and so the character investment is lower than say a GoT. A solid 8.5/10 for me. Netflix have something big on their hands here.
For me it seems this way. They're laying down the stories behind Geralt, Yen, Ciri to be the main characters.

It's clear they've already moved away from how the book story goes considering what happens in the 8th episode, so I assume they'll either stop using book stories in total or modify them how they like.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Why are people saying that battle in the final episode was great? I found it boring.
Wild guess: others found it cool.
For me not the best fight scene of the series by far, but an ok appetizer.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Watched the first 4 episodes so far, and I've enjoyed it. The timelines are a little bit of a mess with effectively
geralt's scene coming with the queen a little after we had just seen the queen killed and ciri on the run as a result.
Would have been nicer if the different timelines flowed together a bit better, but I had no issues with Yen's timeline as it was clear that her scenes were set years before the others.

Some of the monsters and such needed a bit of work, but other than that I felt it has been great fun.

evil_geko

I do hope they don't make this "Yennefer show" in second season, I have a small feeling they want that, main story should be the Geralt + Cirilla.

MadMike

All this Witcher hype, ah, I started reading the books for the third time, near finishing the first.

Then after books, all three games again.
Oh wow, that's dedication. Those 10+ year old games look.... well old

MadMike

I do hope they don't make this "Yennefer show" in second season, I have a small feeling they want that, main story should be the Geralt + Cirilla.
They wouldn't spunk the majority of their acting budget on Cavill to make him a second fiddle character. That would be a fail on too many levels.

mancan92

Gave me such strong urges to play the restart the witcher 3. Those first couple episodes felt exactly like a side quest in the game. Moralyl ambiguous choices and consequences, monster hunting and interesting surprises. Just soo great.

evil_geko

Oh wow, that's dedication. Those 10+ year old games look.... well old
I mentioned some pages ago, I find the first Witcher game the best regarding atmosphere, even better than TW3, and with more interesting combat than TW2's roll fest spam combat.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Gave me such strong urges to play the restart the witcher 3. Those first couple episodes felt exactly like a side quest in the game. Moralyl ambiguous choices and consequences, monster hunting and interesting surprises. Just soo great.
I did, just got to tower of mice. Already had Letho go to Kaer Morhen. :>

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
As someone who is just familiar with the games, I have some questions.

Isnt Vigelzfort one of the most powerful mages? When fighting Cahir all he did was use his power to regen his sword?

The Lodge of sorceress, is called the Brotherhood?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Isnt Vigelzfort one of the most powerful mages? When fighting Cahir all he did was use his power to regen his sword?

Yes. The most powerful mage.
He was already stated to work with Nilfgaard.
The "lodge of sorcerers" is called the brotherhood of sorcerers, the lodge of sorceresses is made later.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know nothing of the backstory, but it did feel like they were laying the ground work for the future seasons with this one. If the books are more coherent and present going forward then this could be amazing. Already enjoyed it a lot, the only downfall for me is that it did feel pretty rushed and so the character investment is lower than say a GoT. A solid 8.5/10 for me. Netflix have something big on their hands here.
8.5 from me as well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Odegaard’s explanation above is correct. There’s also one point in the novels where Vilgefortz beats Geralt down pretty easily.

In the show: the theory online appears to be that Vilgefortz sandbagged the fight, allowing Cahir to win.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Finally got around to starting this today, Just started episode two and am greeted with the sight of a girl I remember from school, pretty cool.

Ainu

All this Witcher hype, ah, I started reading the books for the third time, near finishing the first.

Then after books, all three games again.
I tried that some time ago and the first game was rough. I remember loving it back in 2007-ish, but games (and especially this series) have come a long way since then! Not worth going through it again in my opinion.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Why are people saying that battle in the final episode was great? I found it boring.
Agreed. The problem was that the main focus of the season was not on stopping Nilfgaardian from taking over. So there was no emotional investment in mage crew stopping their army from taking over. Yennerfer is involved but she also grudgingly joins after not giving any shit for most of the season. Nilfgaardian's main players themselves were poorly drawn up. Basically I did not care about the end result of the war whatsoever. I knew they were not going to kill off Yennerfer and I did not care about the fate of any other character.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The "lodge of sorcerers" is called the brotherhood of sorcerers, the lodge of sorceresses is made later.
Odegaard’s explanation above is correct. There’s also one point in the novels where Vilgefortz beats Geralt down pretty easily.

In the show: the theory online appears to be that Vilgefortz sandbagged the fight, allowing Cahir to win.
Thanks lads. That makes a lot of sense in hindsight.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

He's powerful but not especially so compared to other mages. He comes across as a much better fighter than the rest though, but still he's no Tissaia De Vries

The Lodge comes later, after the collapse of the brotherhood

Adam-Utd

I feel like they’re just moving away from the ultimate storyline. Cahir seems more of a general instead of going off to find/defend ciri, and vilgefortz?!? He Beats cahir with ease in the books, I feel like they just purposely made him look “normal” so that they can choose their own storyline. Guess we will see how it develops

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Uh? I don't remember
Vilgefortz fighting Cahir at all in the novels

Adam-Utd

Uh? I don't remember
Vilgefortz fighting Cahir at all in the novels
Apologies I got it mixed up, cahir gets killed by Leo bonhart who is less dangerous. Vilgefortz fights both yen and Geralt at the same time.

my point still stands though, unless they develop vilgefortz a huge amount they made him seem pretty weak.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's powerful but not especially so compared to other mages. He comes across as a much better fighter than the rest though, but still he's no Tissaia De Vries

The Lodge comes later, after the collapse of the brotherhood
And which mages are these? Tissaia is the most powerful sorceress, but she doesn’t have any feats comparable to 3 v 1ing Geralt, a higher vampire, and a sorceress. Following which Geralt is only finally victorious through injuries and an amulet. Vilgefortz is absolutely the strongest mage. He’s the major antagonist of the novels and has the most feats to prove so by far.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And which mages are these? Tissaia is the most powerful sorceress, but she doesn’t have any feats comparable to 3 v 1ing Geralt, a higher vampire, and a sorceress. Following which Geralt is only finally victorious through injuries and an amulet. Vilgefortz is absolutely the strongest mage. He’s the major antagonist of the novels and has the most feats to prove so by far.
Nah, not really. Novels make it pretty clear Tissaia is on a whole different level. Avallac'h is made out to be a pretty serious deal too

Other than those two sure, he's among the strongest, although nobody among the mages is particularly worried about taking him on. (Whereas nobody even entertains the idea of trying to take on Tissaia. Including Vilgefortz, in fact. I mean, him and Philippa and their respective factions go from trying to kill each other to running for fecking cover the moment Tissaia gets involved. Tissaia fecking brings down an anti-magic barrier nobody even though it was possible to bring down in the first place!)

Last edited:

Oldyella

Finished it now. I really enjoyed this, so much so I didnt binge it and watched it over a few days when I could pay attention to it. Going to give the third game a crack too having never played them.

Shout out to the music too, songs are stuck in my head, especially the toss a coin to your witcher song.

Ainu

Watched the first two episodes so far and it's not great, I have to say. A bit shit even. Cavill is great as Geralt and his swordplay in Blaviken was brilliant but I'm not convinced about anything else. Ciri and Yen have potential, but I'm more concerned about the script than the acting. I thought they had Sapkowski consulting the show? You wouldn't say.

BlueHaze

Watched first 3 episodes and I'm out. So shit I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore. Maybe if Bridget Regan played Yen I would watch another episode or two. :lol:

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I watched 3 episodes and loved it so far. Script isn't amazing but the characters are great. Just like The Witcher 3 game which I loved as well

Siorac

Finished it. It's fantastic, enjoyed every minute of it. Great casting choices.

Someone above said that the short stories are Sapkowski at his best and I agree - I wonder how the show will handle the novels.

mu4c_20le

Diversity isn't the issue with the Triss' portrayal in the show. It's more than the character /actress being as uninteresting as you'd expect some really side side character to be.
Missed this earlier. As someone who chose Triss in the games, I admit being slightly disappointed at the lack of flaming red hair, but at least they got the freckles right. However I am more disappointed at the writing of her character than the actress, who I thought did a decent job. She feels like a side character becuase thats what she is in the show, at least this season. How many lines does she even have? And how many of them are actually with Geralt? Besides their initial interaction, I honestly can't recall. Her character is just another one of Foltest's agents serving as a buffer between him and Geralt. I think she is pretty cute but hasn't had much of a chance to show it or to express herself just yet.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Anyone else feel like the last episode was the best in a way? Felt LOTRsy several times. That's a compliment.

Also-anyone recognize the merchant in that episode? That was the same actor as Yoren on GoT, no? Dude was badass on that show - almost didn't recognize him with the way he looked on TW and speaking with a different dialect.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
it was fun to watch and I hope they continue with it. At the same time it felt like they wasted potential. Not every show needs super slow story telling, but rushing through so many different story lines, that span out over decades, was a bit too much. Its unnecessary to tell all these background-stories (Butcher of Blaviken, everything around Calanthe pre Ciri, Yennefer's youth, Djinn/gerald+yen first meeting etc.) to establish the characters. These are great stories to advance a character, but could easily be told later and deserve a bit more time. Focus on some when there is time and keep the rest for later.
The cast is imo very strong with only a few exceptions. I was a bit disappointed by some of the writing for the mages, especially (adult) Yennefer and Triss.

Last edited:

Ainu

Having watched the third episode now, I really don't know what they were thinking with that timeline feck-up. They've got characters showing up about 15 years early or something! I guess all book knowledge goes out of the window.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Having watched the third episode now, I really don't know what they were thinking with that timeline feck-up. They've got characters showing up about 15 years early or something! I guess all book knowledge goes out of the window.
Thought the same but episode 5/6 do a very good job making you forget about a lot of that and bring it all together in a surprisingly satisfying fashion.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
As someone with next to no knowledge of either the books or the games, I almost kind of admire the ballsy no fecks given approach to just casually dropping the timeline feckery reveal with absolutely no fanfare midway through the season, and then never really addressing it again.

Bizarre, and absolutely dreadful pacing wise, but you’ve got to sort of respect them not remotely even trying to spoon feed it to the audience... it just sort of happened... deal with it. Fair play.