Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Amarsdd

I would respectfully disagree but to each their own. As long as we all keep watching to ensure a season 4 then who cares!

:D
Honestly, I think its a bit shit and I'm struggling to keep watching. The first few episodes, Geralt and Ciri's storyline was the only thing intriguing. Now, I'm at episode 6, even that is dragging. Maybe its just because I don't know the lore and also haven't played the Witcher games, and I'm just watching because I'm usually intrigued by high fantasy stories.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
S2 seems a bit more concentrated and the budget seems to have increased a bit. Still can’t get over some of the casting. Yen looks/is way too young

padr81

Supports
Man City
S2 seems a bit more concentrated and the budget seems to have increased a bit. Still can’t get over some of the casting. Yen looks/is way too young
No way. If I wanted to see old boobies I'd watch my wife.

evil_geko

I agree, I would have loved to see Eva Green in that role, she would be perfect for the role. But I was kinda ok with her later on. The role I am not ok with and will never be is Triss, she is a little better in Season 2 but I just can't see her as Triss.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant season. Loved the pacing & character development over the episodes. The scale of it was impressive, an improvement on the first season. Great way to end it too.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yen should look young, at least I think so based on my remembering of the books. Besides, the actress has been phenomenal and, for me, has been the star of the show.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yen should look young, at least I think so based on my remembering of the books. Besides, the actress has been phenomenal and, for me, has been the star of the show.
She should look extremely pretty, yeah (which the actress is). But probably more youthful, not actually young — if you get me.

Like how Cavill is obviously a hunk but they’ve made him look a bit battle hardened and sinewy, Yen should look a little bit like that on the sorceress side.

It’s more of a nerdy complaint anyway. Bigger criticisms on the plot/pacing - at least in S1. Too early in S2 to formulate a full response.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I mean, Underworld-like Kate Beckinsale would’ve been great but Anya Chalotra is the last of the show’s problems at this point.

mu4c_20le

I wasn't a big fan of the casting of Yen and Ciri, but the actors have been really good. And I'm glad they gave Triss more scenes this time.

Their creative choices in the casting is... interesting to say the least. For quite awhile, I thought the black guy was Lambert, since he actually looked cocky. Didn't expect it to be the Tormund looking fella. And don't even get me started on Eskel..

caid

I'm just a couple episodes in and quite enjoying it.
I'm not entirely sure why, to be mean. Its not particularly good but it just feels fun and good humoured and easy to enjoy. The characters are quite likable, the monster of the week is usually fun. It feels like a show from a different time

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm just a couple episodes in and quite enjoying it.
I'm not entirely sure why, to be mean. Its not particularly good but it just feels fun and good humoured and easy to enjoy. The characters are quite likable, the monster of the week is usually fun. It feels like a show from a different time
Are you talking about season 1 or 2 there?

Ainu

Two episodes into the new season, I'm not exactly convinced. I'm trying to see the show as its own thing but it's hard not to compare it to the books. Kaer Morhen being this crowded and them throwing a party with whores there is a complete wtf. And then that stuff with Eskel, who was such a kind character and like a protective older brother to Ciri. Taking some creative liberties with the source material is understandable but that is just bizarre. It makes me worry for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What they did with Eskel is the worst part of the season for me. I don’t understand some of the creative decisions they made, like using the name Jaskier (though that one isn’t new of course).

Ralaks

I enjoyed it overall and it was nice to not have a jumbled timeline. Some of the dialogue is a bit shit though. Episode 4 felt strange.
Oh and Jaskier annoys me.
For some reason it annoyed me hugely that he was incredibly well trained in that shirtless scene, like almost superhero like body. Just felt incredibly out of character (haven't read the books mind, only played the games). He spends half his time drinking, the other half whoring, with some lute playing in between.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What they did with Eskel is the worst part of the season for me. I don’t understand some of the creative decisions they made, like using the name Jaskier (though that one isn’t new of course).
that is his name though. Dandelion was a made up name by the English translators as the actual translation, Buttercup (or something close to that) was deemed too feminine.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
that is his name though. Dandelion was a made up name by the English translators as the actual translation, Buttercup (or something close to that) was deemed too feminine.
It’s only his nickname, and that’s only if you’re speaking Polish.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Have you read the books or played Witcher 3? I think a lot of the excitement is coming from seeing the “family” come together. Beyond that though I thought the acting and production were light years better this season.
Played a bit of the Witcher 3 yes, might give the books a go if I have the time because everyone's so enthusiastic about them. I read a lot of reviews after I made the post where season 1 and 2 were compared and every episode of season 2 was discussed individually, and plenty of them alligned with how I was feeling. I guess I just would have liked it more had they made a 12 episode season out of it, taking the time to create a little bit more of suspense or something.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Seems anyone who has read the books hates it, and those who haven't love it :lol:

Glad I haven't read the books tbh.

I've also read that Eskel wasn't exactly a major character in the books anyway?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ciri and Yennefer are brilliant. As is it in general, but they really stand out.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Seems anyone who has read the books hates it, and those who haven't love it :lol:

I've read the books but it has been a while. Same with the Witcher 3 game so basically the 2 are jumbled up in a mess in my head :) .

I still love the series and I would say a lot of that has to do with how I have approached the WoT series on Amazon. I was pretty upset in the beginning with any deviation, great or small, from the books. After seeing the podcast with Sanderson where he basically said that each version is an artists telling of the material and that it should be viewed as such, and after seeing Andrzej Sapkowski say exactly the same thing about the Witcher (he even said he loves season 2) I am completely fine with things. I just let the books and game be their own art and enjoy the series, which has been awesome!!.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I read the books and love it. Though I'm never a purist in these things.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Im a book fan and love the games and think its really good.
Some people want 1 to 1 adaptations and get annoyed when thats not what happens, but its just not viable. Even GoT wasn't close to a 1 to 1 adaptation, it avoided a lot of the stick the fantasy series get now simply because of when it launched. Its understandable to an extent "Here is this thing I love and somebody is fecking with it" but they refuse to accept that some characters have to be cut and somethings tweaked for tv pacing. Its much better than say where we get full on character assassinations in adaptations etc... (although Triss is touch and go)

Ainu

Eskel is a minor character in the books in that he only appears briefly and doesn't have a real impact on the story as a whole. However, he has a role in Ciri's life since he's one of just four witchers living at Kaer Morhen with her (maybe five, I can't remember if Coen was actually there or only mentioned). He's also the most reserved and kind-hearted of them all, so his show character is just weird. Basically has nothing in common with him except the name and the fact that he's a witcher. The bigger problem is the portrayal of Kaer Morhen and the witchers in general. They seemed like a bunch of idiotic frat boys.

evil_geko

I have read the books and played all the games countless times and I really like Season 2. Did they change a lot compared to the books regarding story and lore? Yes they did, but I don't personally mind it, some casting choices annoy me more but oh well. I think there are a lot of book purists that want 1:1 carried to the screen, I myself want changes and freedom in TV adaptations, I want to be surprised, not just have everything copy-pasted from the books. But that's me.

All in all, I liked S2 much better than S2, looking forward to the third one, I hope we don't wait two years again, or do we?

Also about this trailer at the end of S2.

Why do they always have most terrible music choices for these high fantasy trailers? Argh. Don't know how to feel about this in general.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Eskel is a minor character in the books in that he only appears briefly and doesn't have a real impact on the story as a whole. However, he has a role in Ciri's life since he's one of just four witchers living at Kaer Morhen with her (maybe five, I can't remember if Coen was actually there or only mentioned). He's also the most reserved and kind-hearted of them all, so his show character is just weird. Basically has nothing in common with him except the name and the fact that he's a witcher. The bigger problem is the portrayal of Kaer Morhen and the witchers in general. They seemed like a bunch of idiotic frat boys.
I've seen this explained by saying this is literally their downtime, they are there to just rest up and have a break from beating the shit out of monsters. I'm sure geralt gets pissed in taverns and stuff anyway.

The odd thing was the prostitutes there, but then someone explained that by Eskel being infected and not himself, and it was his doing bringing them there.

Still was a bit stupid, they really served zero purpose to the storyline, could have just had everyone getting pissed and the same stuff could have happened?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Enjoyed the series. Bit disappointed in the finale.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Watched it again, and Ciri was better than I initially gave her credit for. Her face when the guy talked about his tool being bigger was hilarious.

Had a peek at reddit (rarely advisable) and other than criticism about Eskel, which is valid though not a big deal, one of the common complaints is about the color of Ciri’s eyebrows. Her fecking eyebrows…c’mon man. :smirk:

Simbo

I reckon I'm going to wish I hadn't read the books in future seasons, going to be annoying comparing things in my head every episode rather than just enjoying what they are creating.

They've changed a lot already so naturally there's going to be upset book lovers. There's a hell of a lot of material in the books, so the fact they've come up with an entirely new storyline at season 2 shows there will likely be large changes to come also, to avoid the difficult material... The book story is the entire reason there's a Witcher fanbase in the first place, changing stuff is a bold move! Having said that, any semi-decent writer should still be able to forge something epic from it... Having said that, Netflix doesn't tend to hire decent writers :/

I'll moan about a few things but still enjoyed it for the most part, it ended well, just mixed feelings on the changes and what that means for later seasons. There's also something about the production that still feels off to me, costumes and set design looks fine, cgi not too bad, there's just a distinct lack of atmosphere or something, it is very 'Netflixy! But then so is WoT...

:lol: Just a more mature looking woman. She’s way too fresh faced.
Agree, don't like the Yen casting but she's making a good effort of it at least the character was more believeable this season. Ciri is great, exactly what I imagined. Dijkstra looks good, Tissaia good, Fringilla has grown on me, Cahir good, Vessimir certainly looks the part, a bit broody though.