Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Sanche7

Looks good. Can't see it flopping, I think a lot of people are waiting for a low fantasy show to scratch that GoT itch.
Not just people, all the major networks are searching for the next GOT. HBO has tried and have been successful to an extent with Westworld and Watchmen but none of them are true fantasies like GOT. This looks like it has the funding and the talent to take GOT's spot

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I expect people who like the games will have their criticisms, characters won't act the same or look the same.

New fans will have less expectations - so hopefully the show will live up to the hype created by everybody else.

It'll need to start FAST though, it won't get 2 seasons before people jump on the bandwagon like GOT

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I expect people who like the games will have their criticisms, characters won't act the same or look the same.

New fans will have less expectations - so hopefully the show will live up to the hype created by everybody else.

It'll need to start FAST though, it won't get 2 seasons before people jump on the bandwagon like GOT
As someone who's played the games and even read a few books, I honestly don't give a feck how true they will be to the material. These typical superfans criticizing everything for not being exactly how they want it to be can kiss my white hairy backside.

I'm kidding, it's not hairy.

Revan

Assumptionman
For sure, I think there's enough people however who won't mind that, it's not based on the games. It's a very easy way of shutting anyone up. :)
It's not based on the games cause the story takes place before the games (during the books). Characters in the games act very much similar to how they act in the books, so as long as they portray well the book characters, by definition they will portray well the game characters.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looks great... take my money that i'm already giving you anyway Netflix.

Characters all look fine to me... I don't need these people to look like they do in the video games, it's completely irrelevant.

Only thing is some of the lines are a bit cheesy/corny, but then that could just be due to the being "trailer lines" / being out of context.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Looks good. Can't see it flopping, I think a lot of people are waiting for a low fantasy show to scratch that GoT itch.
Glad you said low fantasy. While the Witcher is fantasy it is not as high fantasy in a way as the game is my understanding - with a lot more focus on storyline than monster killing. More medieval drama and intrigue with a heavy dose of social criticsm. The storyline is what I'm most looking forward to since it's more hinted at than fully explored in the games. At the same time... Seeing a Necker was pretty awesome.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Trailer looks good and I have always been a fantasy nerd and fascinated by everything medieval so I am happy about each movie/series with high production values.
That being said it looks a bit over-the-top and I really hope they keep the dark tone and leave enough grit in the adaptation.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
As someone who's played the games and even read a few books, I honestly don't give a feck how true they will be to the material. These typical superfans criticizing everything for not being exactly how they want it to be can kiss my white hairy backside.

I'm kidding, it's not hairy.
If you like the games and the books, you can't be a stickler for accurate depiction of source material details, because the games already take more than a few liberties.
I fully expect the TW3-only-gamer crowd to throw tantrums at every possible turn though. They are currently the largest group among the fans of the franchise, and obviously will therefore have the largest number of idiots.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If you like the games and the books, you can't be a stickler for accurate depiction of source material details, because the games already take more than a few liberties.
I fully expect the TW3-only-gamer crowd to throw tantrums at every possible turn though. They are currently the largest group among the fans of the franchise, and obviously will therefore have the largest number of idiots.
Depends on how good a job they do. I was a big fan of the Batman comics/films/animated series but depiction of the characters, and in particular, the Joker in it, was both a twisted adaptation that wasn't all that faithful, but also truly phenomenal. And most people loved it. If it's not as alluring as the story/world/characters the game put before us then obviously fans of the game will rightfully so be unimpressed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think everyone is quite on board at the moment. Cavill has won everyone over, which was obviously the biggest question mark for fans, and everything else seems good enough.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think everyone is quite on board at the moment. Cavill has won everyone over, which was obviously the biggest question mark for fans, and everything else seems good enough.
Although having played all games and read all books I really do not care too much about staying strictly to the source material. Just looking for a nicely produced series with good atmosphere.
That being said Cavill looks more like Legolas/Orlando than Geralt in the trailers and his fighting style seems similar.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just read they've fecked more armour up, some dude who is supposed to have wings on their helmet doesn't, and his design looks a bit shit now.

Apparently in the books it's a massive point of how ciri remembers said bloke too, the winged helmet.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just read they've fecked more armour up, some dude who is supposed to have wings on their helmet doesn't, and his design looks a bit shit now.

Apparently in the books it's a massive point of how ciri remembers said bloke too, the winged helmet.
There is another picture of the same character in the background wearing a winged helmet so I'm not going to jump to conclusions. In addition - it was said by the show creators the army the dude fights for is not at is height of power and wealth in the beginning so he may have shoddy armor to start.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout

See I don't see how that is a major problem to a tv-show adaption. Unless people were expecting the show to highlight and have ciri comment on only remember the guy due to the helmet. Not having it there changes nothing in the overall product. Provided they still write the character and scenes well, a minor detail like that can be over looked in my mind.

Ainu

Or people might just be reading too much into a couple of scenes without context. Either way, there are inevitably going to be differences here and there between the show and the books, which isn't necessarily an issue as long as it works in the show.

amolbhatia50k

This means that they have a lot of faith in the 1st season that's been put together. Which is a good sign.

And yes, there will be deviations from the books and games. Unless they completely mess the show I don't see the issue. Every adaptation should be allowed leeway and to be judged on its own merits as much as possible.

Revan

Assumptionman
They never play gwent in the books

Been very clear about this being an adaptation of the books. People really need to forget about the games when watching this, they're not relevant
Either way, it doesn't matter. The games are direct sequels to books, so this being based on books means that the story predates the games. It won't affect them either way.

amolbhatia50k

Been very clear about this being an adaptation of the books. People really need to forget about the games when watching this, they're not relevant
Yeah, on the other hand the games were an adaptation (or follow up) to the books as well so there will be similarities. I haven't read the books and I absolutely adore the game. But I'm not fixated on things being as they are in the game. I want to see a brilliant show set in the world of the Witcher and itd characters.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I wonder if in the show Geralt will nearly die when jumping of a 3 foot ledge.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah, on the other hand the games were an adaptation (or follow up) to the books as well so there will be similarities. I haven't read the books and I absolutely adore the game. But I'm not fixated on things being as they are in the game. I want to see a brilliant show set in the world of the Witcher and itd characters.
I'd have loved for the series to have carinthir, eredin and imlerith, those were proper badass!

)_(

See I don't see how that is a major problem to a tv-show adaption. Unless people were expecting the show to highlight and have ciri comment on only remember the guy due to the helmet. Not having it there changes nothing in the overall product. Provided they still write the character and scenes well, a minor detail like that can be over looked in my mind.
This is why I'm happy I'm going in pretty much blind cause it seems as if, no matter the franchise, people complain about the most inane sh!t

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Imagine the hound not having a burned face from his brother in GoT, that means he's not afraid of fire, which then makes the character completely different, there can be a lot of backstory and character evolution from small details.

As someone else said though, the pics so far could be of him at an early stage.

)_(

Imagine the hound not having a burned face from his brother in GoT, that means he's not afraid of fire, which then makes the character completely different, there can be a lot of backstory and character evolution from small details.

The hound is an irrelevant character who wouldn't have been missed if he'd been cut completely but that's besides the point. People don't even know what's going on yet so maybe they need to wait and see until they complain and also realise that a tv show is an adaptation and might do things differently.

Siorac

On the other hand, such a minor detail is so easy to get right: giving him a winged helmet is really no more difficult than not giving him one.

amolbhatia50k

The Hound was nice but really not that important a character in the grand scheme of things. That change would have little to no impact on my GoT experience.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've not been keeping up with this too much, is there a confirmed release date?