The Witcher | Netflix

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Revan, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    That Anya Chalotra looks very young in that picture. Actually she is 22, after some research there are rumours that she is a younger version of Yen, think it would be weird if she is the real Yen. But who knows. Looks more the age you would expect of teen Ciri.
  2. Oct 10, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

She looks too nice. Yenn, in the game at least, has massive bitch-face.
  3. Oct 10, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Actually, Yen despite being close to a hundred years old (in the games, in the books it should start around 80), she looks like a woman on her early twenties. So the actress being 22 is the right age.

On the game, she looks more mature, but her appearance shouldn't have changed cause sorceresses don't age.
  4. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Yeah, I mean my introduction to all of this was the game and I’ve only just started reading the first book so the Yen I’m familiar with is more mature but I just have a fear that she’ll come across as just like some teeny bopper witch instead of a really old, wise good looking witch.
    If that makes any sense :lol:
    Cavill is 35 I think.
  5. Oct 10, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Hoping this is decent. Couldn't get into the game so wanna just watch this instead...
  6. Oct 11, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

My only reference point is TW3 so those look like castings for a high school drama as opposed to the characters I saw in the game. Both look too innocent and kiddish.
  7. Oct 11, 2018

Ainu Full Member

Ciri is supposed to look innocent and kiddish, because, well, she's an innocent, young child when she's introduced in the story. As for Yenn, she's actually described as having the appearance of a 20 year old girl in the books. I don't see any reason why Anya Chalotra wouldn't make a good Yennefer. It all depends on her acting ability.

I also saw that they casted Renfri's character, which means one of my favourite short stories is in. :drool:
  8. Oct 11, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

She should look around 35ish imo. Maturity due to aura and all that. I don't think a 22 years old has that aura yet no matter how great her acting was.
  9. Oct 11, 2018

Ainu Full Member

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that a character, described by the author and creator of that character as looking like a 20 year old, should look like a 35 year old.
  10. Oct 11, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Indeed. She looks like a woman on her early twenties (though on the game she looks more like someone on her late twenties/early thirties). Which doesn't mean that she is not mature, after all she starts as an 80yo. wise sorceress. Can the young actress actually play a mature role is an another matter, obviously.
  11. Oct 11, 2018

Based on how they portray her in the game?

And played by an older actress isnt rhe same with making her look older.
  12. Oct 11, 2018

Ainu Full Member

But the series isn't based on the game. And you literally said "She should look around 35ish imo."
  13. Oct 11, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I don't mind unknowns being cast.

Nobody knew who Emilia Clarke was before GoT and she looked great naked.
  14. Oct 11, 2018

:lol:
  15. Oct 11, 2018

That's not what i meant. It's hollywood. They'll have no problem making someone look 10 years older or younger.

I just thought that a woman ages hundreds years old isnt suited to be played by a 22years old, charisma and presences of an adult just aint there imho. Regardless of how old she looks hence i personally prefer yen to be played by older actress.
  16. Oct 11, 2018

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It depends on her personality really, we know nothing about the girl apart from a young face. The casters aren't idiots i'm sure, so unless they take Yen a completely different direction, i'm sure she will be fine.

The problem with this series is most of us already have a definition of what Yen and the other characters "should" look like, so it's difficult to re-imagine her from the game.
  17. Oct 11, 2018

Ainu Full Member

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure how you can judge that without having seen her perform the role. There's not a lot to find about Anya Chalotra but I've read nothing but overwhelming positives about her theatre stage presence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre...-stratford-east-review-brutal-bravura-indian/
    https://www.ft.com/content/a0979676-ba61-11e8-8274-55b72926558f
    https://www.ayoungertheatre.com/review-the-village-theatre-royal-stratford-east/
    Sounds like she at least deserves the benefit of doubt.
  18. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Just me or does Cavill/Geralt look more like Jared Leto here?

19. Oct 11, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Wouldn't be surprised if they just ignored the strange eye colours.
  20. Oct 11, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    That Freya Allan is in an episode of into the Badlands season 3x05 was just having a look, doesn’t say anything in it she plays young Mariva, (slave girl) she is in the first few minutes of the episode. She looks quite lanky, but yeah could see a certain likeness to the Wild Hunt version of Ciri.
  21. Oct 11, 2018

Art Vandelay Full Member

I thought it just said she had the body of a 20 year old and left it at that. I could be wrong though. I have trouble picturing her as anything below 30.
  22. Oct 14, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

[​IMG]

Cast:
    Geralt - Henry Cavill
    Yennefer - Anya Chalotra
    Ciri - Freya Allan
    Princess Renfri - Millie Brady
    Queen Calanthe - Jodhi May

What we know:
    - Based on the Novel Series (not the games).
    - There will be 8 episodes.
    - Alik Sakharov to direct four episodes (director of photography for the pilot and 3 additional episodes of GoT Season 1).
    - Release date possibly 2020.​
  23. Oct 14, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

You guys should probably take Witcher 3 with a pinch of salt as this show is going to be set years before all that cannon. Jodhi May for anyone interested is Alice Munro (the blond girl) from Last of the Mohicans. Don't know any of the others cast though.

I'm glad they've gone for unknowns for the rest of the roles, didn't really want any big names being thrown around for some of the other characters. Give us new blood.
  24. Oct 14, 2018

Bobski Full Member

How the actress playing Yen works of Cavill is the issue, selling that relationship is key. Anya Chalotra is a beautiful girl(based on the limited pics i have seen), girl might be the problem though, might look young enough to be his daughter.
  25. Oct 14, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The amount of whining about casting choices when we haven't seen anything of anything yet.... It's amazing.
    Triggered?
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  26. Oct 14, 2018

Art Vandelay Full Member

Yeah, Yennefer is supposed to be the dominant one in that relationship really. There's rumours that she might a younger version of Yennefer, but then wouldn't that require a younger Geralt too?

Fringilla Vigo being cast so early is a bit odd, didn't she only turn up in like the second last book? They might change her back story to give her more relevance given they've race swapped her. She is Anna Henrietta's cousin, who is related to Emhyr, who is of course the father of Ciri.

I'm hoping they set it as Geralt and Ciri are travelling to Kaer Morhen and he is stelling her the short stories. Kind of like that old Jim Henson The Story Teller TV show. Which like The Witcher was kind of twisted fairy tales.
  27. Oct 18, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Anya Chalotra the lady playing Yen is in a new show that airs tonight called Wonderlust if anyone wants to check it out. Saw it on IMDB along with a bunch of new set pics of her.
  28. Oct 18, 2018

NYAS Full Member

Fringilla Vigo is Anna Henrietta’s cousin? You learn something new everyday!
  29. Oct 18, 2018

Is the whole 8 episode thing definitely (pre) determined or are they open to making it into something bigger if it works? I mean, 8 episodes is, like, nothing for this sort of tale.
  30. Oct 18, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Depends on how long each episode is.
  31. Oct 18, 2018

Anything longer than an hour will turn people off.
  32. Oct 18, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I read the trilogy of books om vavation and am playing through the game again, which hyped me.

On the flight back I sawJustice League and thought Henry Cavill is far too pretty to play Geralt. Oh well.
  33. Oct 18, 2018

Redplane Full Member

Doesn't the first season just cover one book? I'm guessing this show will cost Netflix a ton of money bc of attracting a big time lead actor and more importantly that it ll be heavy on set and custome design as well as SFX. They probably don't want to over commit without first seeing how it's received.
  34. Oct 18, 2018

Art Vandelay Full Member

Yeah, I'm not actually sure where that puts her in relation to Emhyr, but she is related to Anna Henrietta and Syanna.
  35. Oct 18, 2018

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    'The' trilogy? The 'trilogy'?
    I mean, there are eight books to The Witcher series, with five consecutive novels, two loose collections of short stories, and another novel set in between those two. ^^
  36. Oct 18, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Oh wow I bought a box with Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire and assumed that was a trilogy. I ordered the rest right away:nervous:
  37. Oct 18, 2018

Could go bothways. They could do it just barely enough and go skint on the actual budget.
  38. Oct 19, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Yeah, was surprised with that. Are they making the entire Nilfgaarden Empire dark skinned (then, how does this work with the white Ciri) or just her?!
  39. Oct 19, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Been over this before, going with monoracial countries would make little sense and create plot holes. If they're smart, they'll make the whole setting multi-racial
  40. Oct 20, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    So I just finished Blood and Wined (worst ending possible, oops) and during the ending that cnut Geralt spoiled a major plotpoint of the books.

Bastard :(