Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think this is going to be great. Pity about the game...

Suv666

I've read the first book and really liked it. Hope I can at least get through half of the series before this comes out.

afrocentricity

Eh? The 3rd game is by all accounts one of the best game of all time.
Yeah... I couldn't (and still can't) get into it. What can I say? Combat is lacking and magic seems underwhelming, battle prep didn't seem to matter much either. Story has been slow too. I think me being lttp didn't help...

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah... I couldn't (and still can't) get into it. What can I say? Combat is lacking and magic seems underwhelming, battle prep didn't seem to matter much either. Story has been slow too. I think me being lttp didn't help...
I felt the same although I did end up dropping it and coming back to it later, it's a very good game but not all time level imo. I actually found the DLC better than the main game.

Runner

I've tried to like the Witcher 3 many times but there's something really boring about the combat even on higher difficulty. I just don't get the adrenaline rush like in souls games.

ArjenIsM3

I've just started playing it about a month ago (lttp) and I'm loving it. I'm playing it on normal difficulty which if you stick with the level recommendation for each quest is indeed a bit on the easy side but I'm sure if you try one of the higher difficulty levels you'll find battle prep will be a lot more important. There's better games out there now combat wise but I don't think those games are as well rounded as TW3 when you factor in stuff like story.

Coxy

I've tried to like the Witcher 3 many times but there's something really boring about the combat even on higher difficulty. I just don't get the adrenaline rush like in souls games.
Fully agreed. I just didn't enjoy the combat. The combat in Skyrim is something I enjoy - but I just couldn't get into the Witcher's combat.

MuFc_1992

Fully agreed. I just didn't enjoy the combat. The combat in Skyrim is something I enjoy - but I just couldn't get into the Witcher's combat.
I hear this thing about combat a lot but I've always been one of those lazy gamers who pushed through story in easy difficulty and just enjoyed the atmosphere and immersiveness of games. IMO Withcher 3 is definitely the best game I've ever played but most of my hardcore gamer mate really shit on Witcher 3 and really talk up Dark Souls series which I really struggled to get into.

Maxii

Paad
I think a problem with the difficulty in The Witcher is at higher difficulty the enemies just feel a bit tankier and take longer to kill. If they had some extra abilities the higher the difficultly it would make it a bit more interesting. The shield is op and makes it so it doesn’t really matter how hard they hit.

Still one of the best games I’ve ever played.

Adam-Utd

Witcher 3 is much more about the storyline / optional paths rather than the combat experience.

ArjenIsM3

I hear this thing about combat a lot but I've always been one of those lazy gamers who pushed through story in easy difficulty and just enjoyed the atmosphere and immersiveness of games. IMO Withcher 3 is definitely the best game I've ever played but most of my hardcore gamer mate really shit on Witcher 3 and really talk up Dark Souls series which I really struggled to get into.
Yeah same here. Really love games like Read Dead, The Elder Scrolls and The Witcher but hated Dark Souls. Couldn't get into it. If I want to play a "hardcore" competitive game I'll boot up something like CS:GO, Overwatch or League of Legends. I'd rather compete against human players than against stupidly good / overpowered NPCs.

afrocentricity

Witcher 3 is much more about the storyline / optional paths rather than the combat experience.
But even then, the story is slow. I'll go back to it and see if it picks up, sooner or later...

Adam-Utd

But even then, the story is slow. I'll go back to it and see if it picks up, sooner or later...
I struggled with the first part in the little village but once you clear that it takes off. It's worth sticking with.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I found it a total slog for the first maybe 13-15 hours until the Bloody Baron quests started and after that it became one of the best games I've ever played. Pretty sure the first 13-15 hours took me a month to get through and the next 100 hours took me about 3 weeks.

Runner

I believe in large part the Witcher 3 isn't made for the hardcore gamer in mind. It's designed for the casual console gamer (that isn't a bad thing!). It certainly weaves a beautiful narrative. Souls is completely different. The lore is piecemeal and most people don't care or notice and the focus is all on gameplay.

However the gulf between the two in gameplay is immense. Going from whimsical combat with Geralt somersaulting around doing pokey pokey to using a fume ultra greatsword and hyperarmor in dark souls 3.. yeah it just doesn't feel the same. I prefer souls for the variety in combat with weapons as well. Both fantastic games for different reasons.

Art Vandelay

I think a problem with the difficulty in The Witcher is at higher difficulty the enemies just feel a bit tankier and take longer to kill. If they had some extra abilities the higher the difficultly it would make it a bit more interesting. The shield is op and makes it so it doesn’t really matter how hard they hit.

Still one of the best games I’ve ever played.
I'd disagree somewhat. Even with Quen active on higher difficulties if you get hit from behind even by a thug in his underpants with a hatchet there's a good chance you're going down. Although against monsters and such that's not as much of a problem. It makes groups of enemies much more dangerous, but the one on one battles suffer. I don't think the combat is bad by any means, but it seems to be the main negative people point to.

I have very little hope for the Netflix show. I will maintain that if they absolutely had to do a show then it needed to be animated or like the CGI trailers.

Adam-Utd

I really hope this is good. I love the Witcher universe and I hope they've kept to the darker theme, rather than trying to hollywood it up.

Siorac

He is SUCH a dick, it's glorious.

I love that he brought up the Expanse as the example of professionalism and quality (well, if the subtitles got it right). It is indeed brilliant. It has absolutely nothing to do with Netflix but he doesn't have to know that.

Ainu

He's an interesting character, that much is certain. Also, at the end he confirms that he wants to write more Witcher books, but clearly no sequels to the main saga, which he considers finished. I guess that would've been a bit awkard anyway as many Witcher fans almost consider the 3rd game as canon. Not that he would care of course!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's an interesting character, that much is certain. Also, at the end he confirms that he wants to write more Witcher books, but clearly no sequels to the main saga, which he considers finished. I guess that would've been a bit awkard anyway as many Witcher fans almost consider the 3rd game as canon. Not that he would care of course!
He's bitter as feck about the games.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Whoa there.

Comparing witcher 3 and souls game is like comparing ballet and mma. Witcher are high fantasy game the fun is emphasized in other things.

I find dungeon souls game easy once you know what you're dealing with, and truth be told it wasnt the fight that scares me, more like the long walk to the boss if one dies

Soul fights can be boring as well since the only different levels make is how hard you hit, mechanic wise you can kill anyone barehanded.

It's just a different game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Whoa there.

Comparing witcher 3 and souls game is like comparing ballet and mma. Witcher are high fantasy game the fun is emphasized in other things.

I find dungeon souls game easy once you know what you're dealing with, and truth be told it wasnt the fight that scares me, more like the long walk to the boss if one dies
Yeah it's a totally different type of game. The Witcher 3 is all about brilliant dialogue & storytelling, a beautiful and believable world, fun combat, RPG elements and essentially feeling fecking awesome being the White Wolf.

I love Dark Souls and the tension and payoff it gives but it's a very different experience really. Every game can't be like it and shouldnt be like it.

Suv666

Anyone have any idea where can I get a pdf of the 2nd book, the official English translation. All I can find on the net are fan translations.

Adam-Utd

God I hope this is good
Same. The witcher world has so much potential, especially the way the GOT "darker" side has got a lot of people's attention.

It's shown people don't always want the good guy to win so to speak, and we know it's a similar theme for Geralt and co.