The World Cup Stats Thread

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Add your numbers, charts etc here - all stattos welcome

Bro Naoned

Supports
FCNantes

What do these selections have in common: Costa Rica, Qatar, Morocco, Australia, Netherlands, Mexico, Ghana, Switzerland and Belgium?
These are the 9 selections that have touched fewer balls in the opposing area than Kylian Mbappé alone at the 2022 World Cup (28).

Reactions: Rood

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

2 of the top 5 supported teams at this World Cup went out today

Gutted especially for the vast numbers of Mexicans who made the long trip over

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think there are quite a few Americans that work over in Qatar they also have a military base there so have a strong link with the country. Probably contributing to the number of American fans there.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think there are quite a few Americans that work over in Qatar they also have a military base there so have a strong link with the country. Probably contributing to the number of American fans there.
There will definitely be many in the 1 million+ tickets sold in Qatar that are supporting other teams seeing as it's mostly expats living there

No doubt many of the other country's ticket sales also include a % of immigrants buying tickets to support teams other than their country of residence

Note UAE are not even at the World Cup but again tons of expats from various countries living there

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Still don't know what xG means and it this point I'm too afraid to ask.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
After seeing this chart maybe people will stop saying France steals african players when it's always been the other way around.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Still don't know what xG means and it this point I'm too afraid to ask.
It means 'Expected Goals' and it's basically a measure of quality of chances created - it's more sophisticated than a simple Shots/SoT

On that chart France had been by far the most creative thus far

After seeing this chart maybe people will stop saying France steals african players when it's always been the other way around.
Not sure it's always been like that but I find this whole discussion a bit silly since it's ultimately up to the player to decide and nowadays many players have multiple options, that's just the way of the modern world

Some discussion on this issue over here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/african-teams-in-qatar.473995/page-3#post-29804901

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Those countries with loads of french players are all former french colonies no? Stole a lot more than their players.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Those countries with loads of french players are all former french colonies no? Stole a lot more than their players.
Of course but I fail to see what it has to do with the topic at hand, unless you want to discuss history over the past few centuries, which has nothing to do with football

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wasn't Sterling born in Jamaica?

Am I being blind but I don't see him on there??

Edit: I didn't open the image fully! Can see him on there now.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Was gonna say that no team has finished on 9 points. Crazy.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Think it’s more to do with the already qualified sides taking their foot off the gas / sending out the reserves. Reckon more teams have seen the value of doing what France did at Euro 2000 and played the B team for the final match - saves the legs of the A team and gets the whole squad included.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Think it’s more to do with the already qualified sides taking their foot off the gas / sending out the reserves. Reckon more teams have seen the value of doing what France did at Euro 2000 and played the B team for the final match - saves the legs of the A team and gets the whole squad included.
It is definitely a factor but then I think only France, Brazil and Portugal had won their first 2 anyway

England, Morocco and Netherlands the only unbeaten teams so far

Last edited:

Real Name

Marcelo Brozović ran 16,7 km yesterday and broke a previous record of 16,3 km which record he owned too and ran it in semifinal against England in 2018.

the_cliff

https://talksport.com/football/1270006/man-city-man-utd-premier-league-still-world-cup/

Not sure where else to post this and didn't want to make a new thread. We're tied with City with the most players still at the world cup in the quarter final stages. We have 11 and so do City. PSG is second with 8 and Bayern have 7...

Good signs for us going forward, do find it a bit weird that our players are performing well at international level but can't replicate it at the club.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
https://talksport.com/football/1270006/man-city-man-utd-premier-league-still-world-cup/

Not sure where else to post this and didn't want to make a new thread. We're tied with City with the most players still at the world cup in the quarter final stages. We have 11 and so do City. PSG is second with 8 and Bayern have 7...

Good signs for us going forward, do find it a bit weird that our players are performing well at international level but can't replicate it at the club.
It's wrong as we actually have 12 players still there - although possibly Telles goes down as Sevilla

Impressive either way but might hinder us in PL restart

Spaghetti

Mom's
It's wrong as we actually have 12 players still there - although possibly Telles goes down as Sevilla

I was going to say the same thing.

Dalot, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw, Malacia, Telles, Fred, Casemiro, Antony, Bruno, Rashford.

This shouldn’t impact the PL restart. It’s a minimum of 9 days between the end of the World Cup and the first PL game. Any player going through the quarter final stage will miss the League Cup match, though.

Keeping the players in competitive games is better really. Especially as it’s now (At most):
Friday - Tuesday - Sunday, or
Saturday - Wednesday - Sunday.

Charles Miller

I think its because Telles has been rulled out of the tournament last week due to injury.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think its because Telles has been rulled out of the tournament last week due to injury.
I don't think so because he's still there and officially part of the squad - more likely it's because he's on loan or just Talksport got it wrong

JeffFromHK

Number and percentage of Players from all 32 World Cup Squads Playing in England:

World Cup 1998 - 74 (10.51%)
World Cup 2002- 103 (13.99%)
World Cup 2006- 102 (13.86%)
World Cup 2010- 117 (15.89%)
World Cup 2014- 119 (16.16%)
World Cup 2018- 129 (17.53%)
World Cup 2022- 164 (19.74%)

Almost doubled in the space of 24 years.

Also:

NoPace

Number and percentage of Players from all 32 World Cup Squads Playing in England:

World Cup 1998 - 74 (10.51%)
World Cup 2002- 103 (13.99%)
World Cup 2006- 102 (13.86%)
World Cup 2010- 117 (15.89%)
World Cup 2014- 119 (16.16%)
World Cup 2018- 129 (17.53%)
World Cup 2022- 164 (19.74%)

Almost doubled in the space of 24 years.
When I see this I think we'll see the sort of conference expanding and trading that has happened a ton in U.S College Sports. So I guess that would be something like Belgium and the Netherlands forming a league, Portuguese sides joining Spain, a Scandinavian league and maybe something in Central Europe too.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Not sure where to post this but here is a good omen for England

The last 6 European Championship runners up went on to win a trophy (excluding 1996)

Euro 1992 - Germany (won Euro 96)
Euro 1996 - Czech Republic
Euro 2000 - Italy (won WC 06)
Euro 2004 - Portugal (won Euro 16)
Euro 2008 - Germany (won WC 14)
Euro 2012 - Italy (won Euro 20)
Euro 2016 - France (won WC 18)

It took most teams 6 years, for France it only took 2 and for Portugal a long 12 years but they still won something right?

So a trophy should be around the corner for England

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What a list of players :drool: but none (thus far) went on to win the World Cup