The worst club to buy players from

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's Athletic Bilbao isn't it? Don't they not negotiate and you have to pay the release clause?

Edit - I should have read the OP... I think maybe a Portuguese club?

Ekeke

Not near the worst, but Monaco's sales are wild. They either do great or are a terrible waste of money

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Spurs in terms of dealing with Levy
BVB is a mixed bag and if you're Bayern then they're very easy to deal with
Spurs I think, with Modric, Berbatov and Carrick... They'd be high up on my list of clubs to buy from.

Dealing with Levy though

Demyanenko_square_jaw

CSKA used to have a rep for this.

Semak, Zhirkov, Jo, Krasic, Honda, Doumbia, Musa. Possibly Golovin though still too early to say.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Dortmund didn't sell Lewandowski. Get his name out of this thread!
We should have signed him. Why the candles did we not bit £30m for him when he was still in-contract

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Atalanta. Every single player to have left them in the Gasperini era has been much worse than they were at Atalanta.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If there was a vote the club that should win is Lyon or Benfica, there seems to be a rule where these two clubs will make you pay more than you should on every single transfers and they will make every negotiation last a decade while briefing the press on a daily basis.
Not sure Benfica qualify, Di Maria, Oblak, Witsel, Ederson, David Luiz, Raul Jimenez, Guedes, Matic, and Ramires all were value for money spent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not sure Benfica qualify, Di Maria, Oblak, Witsel, Ederson, David Luiz, Raul Jimenez, Guedes, Matic, and Ramires all were value for money spent.
Guedes, Ramirez and David Luiz weren't value for money. In particular Guedes who was well below par for PSG, Ramires was an average player sold for very good player money and David Luiz was a defender that could barely defend sold for top CB
money.

But then you have Felix, Renato Sanches, Gaitan(To Atletico), Ivan cavaleiro(to Monaco), Lindelof, Mitroglou(To Marseille), Semedo and then you have De Tomas sold for what is a fortune for Espanyol. Benfica has the habit to sell players for way more than they are worth.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Guedes, Ramirez and David Luiz weren't value for money. In particular Guedes who was well below par for PSG, Ramires was an average player sold for very good player money and David Luiz was a defender that could barely defend sold for top CB
money.

But then you have Felix, Renato Sanches, Gaitan(To Atletico), Ivan cavaleiro(to Monaco), Lindelof, Mitroglou(To Marseille), Semedo and then you have De Tomas sold for what is a fortune for Espanyol. Benfica has the habit to sell players for way more than they are worth.
Would completely disagree re: David Luiz and Ramires. Both were instrumental in winning the CL for us and both were moved on for significantly more than we paid. Guedes I'll give you; admittedly I'd forgotten he went to PSG and I thought he went straight to Valencia.

Hulksmash

By far bayern because they only sell when their players are finished at top level

Icemav

Us? Half the clubs in the league pyramid have an ex-United youngster - often bought at a very good price (seemingly because SAF felt helping the kid out was as important as making some money) - in their first team and doing very well for them.

Generally speaking though, we only let a player go if they're not good enough for us. So you can't expect them to be making a team better than us. But as some examples Neville was a very well thought of Everton captain. O'Shea the same for Sunderland. Michael Keane is in the England set-up. Simpson won the Premier League. Johnny Evans having a good PL career.
Yeah I would say that the clubs that bought Beckham, RVN, Stam, Pique, Ronaldo, De Maria, Lukaku, Blind, Zaha, Tevez, Nani, Evans, Pogba, (even Depay)....... were fairly happy with their purchases whatever the individual circumstances behind them leaving. They also tend to get a good deal so conversely we are actually a great club to buy from. Could you imagine trying to get Ronaldo or Stam from Madrid during the peak of their careers?

P0GBA

For me it's Swansea - Graham, Bony, Michu, Williams, Sigrudson, Sinclair, Ayew brothers. Hopefully James doesn't go the same way.

Last edited:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
By far bayern because they only sell when their players are finished at top level
We sold Beckenbauer, Müller, Breitner, Rummenigge, Matthäus, Brehme, Kohler, Helmer, Hummels, Jarolim, Can, Johansson, Sergio, Santa Cruz, Jorginho, Ballack, Diarra, Shaqiri, Lucio, Hoibjerg, Kroos, Bernat, Costa, Mandzukic, will sell Thiago... Go wash your mouth. Not our fault your medical staff sucks.

Last edited:

Luke1995

Well, it seems really difficult to get players from Leicester these days. How the hell did Chelsea get Kante so easily ?

paulscholes18

Well, it seems really difficult to get players from Leicester these days. How the hell did Chelsea get Kante so easily ?
He had a Release Clause for Champions League teams.

Bayern Munich, doubt they have many regrets over the players they have sold over the past 10 years, maybe Kronos but I think he was in his last year of his contract

Luke1995

He had a Release Clause for Champions League teams.

Bayern Munich, doubt they have many regrets over the players they have sold over the past 10 years, maybe Kronos but I think he was in his last year of his contract
Well, if they sell Thiago Alcantara, they will regret it. He is really good

monosierra

Kagawa, Goetze, Sahin, Mikhi, there's got to be more. Dortmund's players always tend to be underwhelming after departing.
That is SO true. Makes you wonder if the system flatters the players. I've never seen a club whose attacking players take such a dive in performance after leaving. And they're all young too.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Always thought Barca - you could come to depend on their ex-players, but if they said "We want them back", you'd better move to Plan B.
Admittedly it's mostly exaggeration since the only one who springs to mind is Fabregas for Arsenal. But still. Jerks.

Nickelodeon

I hadn't thought much of this topic before this window but Dortmund have really pissed me off and hence, will be my default answer.

TheLord

Spurs. Levy is intolerable. And anyone remotely linked to Raiola.

MileStolar

That is SO true. Makes you wonder if the system flatters the players. I've never seen a club whose attacking players take such a dive in performance after leaving. And they're all young too.
Well couple of them went back after failing and never reached the hights hit before leaving, so who knows.

tomaldinho1

Bayern Munich
This. I think the only player who ever left who weakened them (at least in my memory) was Kroos and that was due to them not budging on their contract offer. Every player they sell is expendable to them, people rave about Thiago now and he's clearly an excellent player but there's a reason they are letting him look at other options because, at 29, this is really the time to cash in and offset the huge losses all teams are making during covid.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Not near the worst, but Monaco's sales are wild. They either do great or are a terrible waste of money
Yeah 50/50.

The most successful players sold are Henry, Thuram, Trezeguet, Mbappe, Djorkaeff, Benarbia, Giuly, Petit etc

The key point is that they price very well the players.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I'm not sure they want to keep him. Have they said that ?
Yes, pretty much daily for months. They had a contract almost done and dusted, but at the last second Thiago said he thought about it deeply and wants to experience another top league, so he didn't sign. Bayern either sell him now or force him to stay the last year, but I can't see that happen.