The 'you have to set up to play' narrative

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm sorry but playing like Newcastle did last night was a joke. They went as low as having 12% of the ball and before any you of master tacticians jump at my throat, possession means feck all indeed if you don't get the right result. I agree with all of that but there comes a point where it reaches levels of flat out refusing to play.

It's even more annoying considering that when they decided to play they immediately score and were more dangerous. Conceding more possession against a much better team is a given but you still need some control of the game and exposing yourself like that to wave after wave is asking for trouble. I compare this match with the one Wolves had vs Man City, Wolves are newly promoted and City are the champions and better than Chelsea. Wolves conceded possession, played defensive (were lucky to have the woodwork saved them too tbh) but they still showed courage and ambition during their counter attacks. Newcastle were a joke yesterday.

There is a middle ground to be found between playing like cowards and trying to exploit your chances when attacking. Benitez was too much of a pussy to try that yesterday.

@duffer: You are spot on
If you're good then it's your job to break the bus and score. If you cant break the bus you're no better than your opponent, regardless of possession

If you have 80 percent of the ball and fail to score in 90 minutes you're the one playing shit football. At best both teams are equally shit in attacking.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I get where your coming from but I strongly disagree. If it wasnt for that late defensive error. They'd got a point from a game they had no business getting a thing with their current injury list.

Actually we do. Ball hoggers like Sarri and Guardiola teams enjoy it most when you attempt to play. For they quickly steal the ball back from you and ruthlessly exploit the opennings you leave behind as you lose the ball. Im certain if Newcastle had been any riskier they'd have been hammered. Especially since Hazard was in the mood.
I'm sorry but we cannot know unless you mean to tell you have supernatural wonder and can foresee every single possibilities

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If you're good then it's your job to break the bus and score. If you cant break the bus you're no better than your opponent, regardless of possession

If you have 80 percent of the ball and fail to score in 90 minutes you're the one playing shit football. At best both teams are equally shit in attacking.
I see what you're saying but don't understand why you quoted me

Nico87

Ironically didn't Newcastle fans want Souness out when he was their manager, in no small part due to his brand of football?