The Youngsters

Ahsan_6386

We need a breather from all the Pogba,Mourinho and fan disappointment threads . Currently our overall academy and reserves squads have quite a few talented youngsters namely Chong,Gomes,Mitchell and Greenwood who are possible wonderkids . Add to that a few of them are close to the 1st team but unfortunately they might not make it to that team considering all the competition for the places and transfer talk wishes .

So is it time for us to start allowing our talented youngsters to go out of the club to other European legaues on permanent deals on nominal transfer values with the intention of getting them back in future with a healthy buy back clauses because normal loan deals haven't been exactly worked out well for us except maybe in Pereira's case . Watching Ex Man City player Sancho and Arsenal's Nelson playing so well in the Bundelsliga I do feel both Gomes and Chong will have a similar impact if allowed moves like this .

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given the success of Sancho and Nelson I cant imagine we'll be short off offers from Germany next summer (if our young players really are as good as people say)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I personally think Chong, Gomes and Greenwood would all struggle with first team football if we sold them tomorrow, they're all still finding their feet in the u23s and the adult game is an even bigger step up, they need a bit more time before we start sending them out on loan IMO. I really don't like the idea of us selling with buy back clauses though, even if the payer agreed to have that option in his contract he wouldn't have to accept it when we triggered it, it takes the situation out of our hands.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We need a breather from all the Pogba,Mourinho and fan disappointment threads . Currently our overall academy and reserves squads have quite a few talented youngsters namely Chong,Gomes,Mitchell and Greenwood who are possible wonderkids . Add to that a few of them are close to the 1st team but unfortunately they might not make it to that team considering all the competition for the places and transfer talk wishes .

So is it time for us to start allowing our talented youngsters to go out of the club to other European legaues on permanent deals on nominal transfer values with the intention of getting them back in future with a healthy buy back clauses because normal loan deals haven't been exactly worked out well for us except maybe in Pereira's case . Watching Ex Man City player Sancho and Arsenal's Nelson playing so well in the Bundelsliga I do feel both Gomes and Chong will have a similar impact if allowed moves like this .
  • Keanan Bennetts was hyped up at Tottenham and he left for Gladbach in the Summer. 0 minutes.
  • Jonathan Panzo was hyped up at Chelsea and he left for Monaco in the Summer. 0 minutes (has been on the bench a few times).
Loans/moves are tricky to predict. Some work out, some don't. It's all down to luck at the end of the day and whether the player takes the opportunity with both hands. Clubs are far more likely to play youth players if they're owned by the club than if they're loaned in. Even Nelson despite scoring 6 goals has been benched lately. I do think young players benefit from playing senior football early on though, if I was the agent of both Gomes/Chong i'd probably consider signing for a Tier 2/3 club and build their career that way.

I'd probably keep hold of both and get a Manager who will give them a chance in the senior team (by a chance, I mean cup games and the occasional senior appearance). If LvG was still here, I guarantee that some of our young players would have been given a chance already. Tuanzebe would probably be our first choice CB right now imo. He looks ready for the step up.

Ahsan_6386

I'd probably keep hold of both and get a Manager who will give them a chance in the senior team (by a chance, I mean cup games and the occasional senior appearance). If LvG was still here, I guarantee that some of our young players would have been given a chance already. Tuanzebe would probably be our first choice CB right now imo. He looks ready for the step up.
Not sure about Tuanzebe I do remember Fosu Mensah was quite immense too for us in late stages of LVG's last season . I remember he played quite well in the defensive midfielder role in a few matches and I did start to feel that maybe he could become a long term solution to our defensive midfield woes at that given time point .

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not sure about Tuanzebe I do remember Fosu Mensah was quite immense too for us in late stages of LVG's last season . I remember he played quite well in the defensive midfielder role in a few matches and I did start to feel that maybe he could become a long term solution to our defensive midfield woes at that given time point .
Tuanzebe is the real deal. LvG would have loved his passing ability and he was already on the radar given he won youth player of the year at the awards ceremony when Giggs got smacked. Fosu Mensah is an odd one because hes been sent out on loan to two PL teams that have played him a bit but both were defensively shit so it's hard to judge whether he's part of the problem or just a bit unlucky. I have read some glowing reviews about him but also he's had real stinkers. He's still pretty young though, but I don't really see his future at RB, doesn't produce much and you need too in the modern game.

Thiagoal

I personally think Chong, Gomes and Greenwood would all struggle with first team football if we sold them tomorrow, they're all still finding their feet in the u23s and the adult game is an even bigger step up, they need a bit more time before we start sending them out on loan IMO. I really don't like the idea of us selling with buy back clauses though, even if the payer agreed to have that option in his contract he wouldn't have to accept it when we triggered it, it takes the situation out of our hands.
Any regular watchers of the U23's would agree with you; however two things need to also be considered!

1) Sbragia is a football dinosaur and his teams rarely play with fluidity or purpose.

2) Some players thrive stepping up into the first team squad as youngsters when playing with (supposedly) better players more on their wave/length! In particular Gomes and Greenwood are highly technical and would stand out as top players if given an opportunity imo

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Any regular watchers of the U23's would agree with you; however two things need to also be considered!

1) Sbragia is a football dinosaur and his teams rarely play with fluidity or purpose.

2) Some players thrive stepping up into the first team squad as youngsters when playing with (supposedly) better players more on their wave/length! In particular Gomes and Greenwood are highly technical and would stand out as top players if given an opportunity imo
1) Agreed, he's fecking awful.

2) I do think they'll take real football by storm when they do eventually step up, I just believe they need a bit more time personally. Greenwood especially plays in a very physically demanding position and the PL CBs are some of the most physically capable in the world. We played against Wolves a couple of weeks ago and most of our attackers struggled against Iorfa, who's about the most senior player they've come up against so far which is why I'd be quite surprised if the youth could make that step up right now.