There’s a feeling of inevitability about Ole losing his job

Greck

#OleIn is trending & it’s not United fans tweeting it. If fans of your rivals are desperate for your manager to stay it’s a sign he’s not the right man, the same way we wanted Liverpool to keep Hodgson & Dalglish.

Remember how they celebrated when Fergie retired. It says it all.
He's being used to mercilessly troll United fans. Can't say we don't deserve it

Ralph1386

Van Beek looks a very bizarre signing, Pogba looks to have totally stopped doing anything positive. Maguire is struggling badly for form, and with Lindelof they look a slow combo. Tuanzebe is championed as a starter, yet can
He’s not a bizarre signing. He’s being bizarrely underused, or used in the wrong position.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I think Ole is going...but if woodward remains. We''ll have the same problems with the next manager.

Superunknown

He’s not a bizarre signing. He’s being bizarrely underused, or used in the wrong position.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. He's obviously a good player but we don't seem to know what to do with him. There are loads of underperforming players in our squad before we get to him, imo.

kentafuji

He doesnt go until we are out of CL for the year and its mathmatically impossible for us to qualify next year.

Amir

I think Ole is going...but if woodward remains. We''ll have the same problems with the next manager.
Question is: What are those problems?

My main problem with Woodward is appointing the wrong coaches, not what happens once they get the job.

Who knows, maybe he'll get one right.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He doesnt go until we are out of CL for the year and its mathmatically impossible for us to qualify next year.
Spot on - this always seems to be Woody's MO - don’t get rid of the manager until it is completely and utterly too late, thus writing off another season, and the following one in terms of Champions League.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's a bizarre signing because we have Bruno who plays his position, and we clearly don't have a plan for him aside from rotation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Spot on - this always seems to be Woody's MO - don’t get rid of the manager until it is completely and utterly too late, thus writing off another season, and the following one in terms of Champions League.
Yep. Some things we are destined to do again and again.

Making an absolute balls up of the window after a promising finishing to a season is another.
Like the Jose 2nd season, we've actually managed to go backwards, which we all feared. But no-one thought to this level.

Loon

:lol:
When it comes time for the manager to pick his targets, I agree, the current set-up will make a hash of it.

In the meantime, it would be nice to see the current side capable of playing well consistently and a manager should be capable of that regardless of numbnuts Woodward and Co.

Artimities

I really like Ole and want him to be successful but I feel as if a loss to Everton this weekend and he is out. Manchester United let him down. I can not and will not put the blame on him completely
Having said that, we know who is coming. I expect us to relish the challenge and make him look good.. that seems to be the theme of this squad.
I think we need to sell Pogba. He is just too inconsistent and his attitude makes me feel like he doesn’t always try. I think that selling him and getting 1-2 other players for him is a good start.
Soooo disappointed!

jamesjimmybyrondean

I was of the opinion we wait till December but he has to go if he fails to get a result against Everton before the international break. We can't keep delaying the inevitable and thereby making our chances of top 4 slimmer

OhGee

He's a bizarre signing because we have Bruno who plays his position, and we clearly don't have a plan for him aside from rotation.
VD Beek can play in the #8 or #10 position so technically he is competiton for both Pogba and Bruno in the squad. Squad depth is important and vd Beek provides the backup to ensure there is no drop off in quality when these players are off form or have to be substituted ( remember Perreira was that cover last season). So no, I can totally understand the need to bring in a player of VD Beek with the qualities he possesses.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That game was the begining of the end I think.

There's no consistency with the standard he expects from the players or the jobs he expects them to do. Fred played 2 bad passes in a row against Arsenal and was subbed off despite being our only effective midfielder until that point. Pogba in the same game wasted possession constantly while offering nothing else and yet changes were made to avoid taking him off, and then tonight he was brought on to do the same thing again.

Matic was a liability in the same role as Fred tonight and yet other players are subbed just to allow him to stay on the pitch. Tuanzebe is subbed off for a bad half yet with Maguire it almost seems like the worse he performs the more determined Ole is to play him through it.

If you aren't even applying the same standards to the players then there's no chance they are all going to stick by you when they and the club are getting it in the neck results and criticism wise.

MacarisSocks

It was the Seville game in which i resigned to the fact Olly is not able to properly coach a team like Manchester United. The quality of players we have means we are always capeable of grabbing some great results but he just does'nt seem to have the presence or coaching abilty to maintain the consistency needed to be a winning coach.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Question is: What are those problems?

My main problem with Woodward is appointing the wrong coaches, not what happens once they get the job.

Who knows, maybe he'll get one right.
There is another key problem, especially for system coaches like Poch. They need their signings early and not desperate signings last minute. Plus Spurs fans keep telling us that Poch has a very small transfer target list. He either wants his no 1 target or noone. We are famous for not delivering no 1 targets.

Anyway, I don’t want Poch, I don’t rate him that highly, but whoever the next manager is, even the best coaching and tactics won’t be making up for strange decisions at board level.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think the board will hold their nerve if we lose at Everton, but he will be gone if we lose to West Brom too.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It was the Seville game in which i resigned to the fact Olly is not able to properly coach a team like Manchester United. The quality of players we have means we are always capeable of grabbing some great results but he just does'nt seem to have the presence or coaching abilty to maintain the consistency needed to be a winning coach.
He doesn't even stick with what works and that's a big sticking point for me.

He actually puts more effort into sticking by players who don't do their jobs than rewardibg the ones who do. To the point he will screw around with the tactics and the system just to do it. Or will sub people off who've done little wrong to keep on people who are disrupting or costing the whole team.

RedDevilRoshi

I think the board will hold their nerve if we lose at Everton, but he will be gone if we lose to West Brom too.
If we lose to Everton then I just cannot see how he survives beyond the upcoming international break.

Having said that, I just don’t know where we go from here when we inevitably do sack him as it’s just the same old story all over again.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If we lose to Everton then I just cannot see how he survives beyond the upcoming international break.

Having said that, I just don’t know where we go from here when we inevitably do sack him as it’s just the same old story all over again.
Yeah, sacking Ole doesn’t solve any of our problems longer term.

Giggsy13

We all know the Glazers and Woodward are shit and incompetent but this is all falling on Ole at the moment. Our squad is far from perfect but a better manager would get more out of this group.

Giggsy13

Better results and consistently being in the top 4, and possibly a title challenge. Poch will have more financial backing here than Ole and has a proven track record of promoting and developing young players.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Better results and consistently being in the top 4, and possibly a title challenge. Poch will have more financial backing here than Ole and has a proven track record of promoting and developing young players.
You’ve not actually responded with how Pochettino would address United’s wider problems.

Giggsy13

You’ve not actually responded with how Pochettino would address United’s wider problems.
Not sure Poch can cobble together the £4 odd billion to purchase the club from the Glazers. If you’re suggesting the systemic issues at the club may prevent any manager from succeeding here I think you’re wrong.

The squad that’s put together is the best we’ve had since post-Fergie and Poch is a better manager than Ole and it’s not even close. While we can’t cure the Glazers, we can at least get more out of this squad with a better manager.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The two are symptoms of the same disease. The right coach wouldn't take the job because they know what would happen.

While we can’t cure the Glazers, we can at least get more out of this squad with a better manager.
Poch would need to build a completely different squad because he plays high press.

adamwest

The two are symptoms of the same disease. The right coach wouldn't take the job because they know what would happen.

Poch would need to build a completely different squad because he plays high press.
I don't see it that way. The foundations, and funds actually, are there for the right man.

Moyes definitely wasn't that guy, Van Gaal was a nutter, and Mourinho did his thing (tbf he's the only example where you could say he should have been further backed after finishing 2nd - but he made an absolute meal of that situation instead of grafting).

Ole simply arrived at a time where we needed something different and he happened to make a massive difference, in tandem with Phelan and to a lesser extent Carrick.

But the experiment has run its course and now, for the first time, i'm sold on getting a proper coach in. Is Pochettino that guy? He is certainly an upgrade on what we currently have so i'm not against it.

Dominos

What a bizarre game to base that on. We dominated the game and missed chances, and that was actually against a good team. If we played like that every week we certainly wouldn't be in this mess. I can think of about 20 games that make me lose hope before that one.

He doesn't even stick with what works and that's a big sticking point for me.

He actually puts more effort into sticking by players who don't do their jobs than rewardibg the ones who do. To the point he will screw around with the tactics and the system just to do it. Or will sub people off who've done little wrong to keep on people who are disrupting or costing the whole team.
What is it you think we stumbled upon that works that we need to go back to?

The only team that seemed to get us a consistent run of results was those few games post lockdown
Matic Pogba
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Martial

That stopped working by the end of last season whereby we were getting outplayed by West Ham and Southampton at Old Trafford.. It's also mostly what we went for at the start of this season against Palace Brighton Spurs and we were awful. I don't want to ever see a double pivot as slow and cumbersome as Pogba-Matic ever again.

The diamond worked against Leipzig (personally thought the performance for most of the game was overhyped but nvm), but didn't against Arsenal. The 532 worked against PSG but we can't really consider this a long term option considering we're not going to be the plucky underdogs in the majority of games.

For me I don't have a clue what works and that's actually more worrying. What I would say is he needs to pick a logical team and try stick with it to see if it develops rather than chopping and changing every time we have an underpar game.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not sure Poch can cobble together the £4 odd billion to purchase the club from the Glazers. If you’re suggesting the systemic issues at the club may prevent any manager from succeeding here I think you’re wrong.

The squad that’s put together is the best we’ve had since post-Fergie and Poch is a better manager than Ole and it’s not even close. While we can’t cure the Glazers, we can at least get more out of this squad with a better manager.
The squad is incredibly bloated and a patchwork of a few good buys with no strategy amongst them, a few talented academy players, a whole load of deadwood and a handful of panic buys. If a manager were to be appointed tomorrow and took us to the title in 3-4 years, most of these lads won’t be there to see it.

Dominos

I'm really not buying this in the slightest. Our squad is young and full of legs.

You're going to name some outliers like Matic but he is a bit part player. You could argue Pogba will need to be moved on if he can't adapt to it. Everyone else I can't see the issue.

Yes we could do with some pace at centre back, but his Spurs team hardly had Usain Bolt in their central defence. It's also something you could fix in a transfer window (or getting more out of Tuanzebe and Bailly).

Chairman Steve

Does anyone think OGS will actually get a decent job at this high level after this role? I honestly don’t think he will. He’ll plump for his beloved Molde again or nab the Norwegian national team at best.

Thats been one of the constant issues throughout his tenure, is putting yourself in other supporters shoes and thinking would you swap managers for OGS? Few of my mates who support clubs like West Ham, Everton, Swansea all said no and wouldn’t even contemplate him, based on his Cardiff tenure and the fact he’d spent most of his time in Norwegian football.

Plus I get the feeling OGS isn’t really that hungry to be a successful manager. I think he’s just happy with having the status of being the manager of his childhood club (Molde) and the club he spent 90% of his career at (United)... otherwise he’d have put himself out there much earlier in his first Molde stint.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Our squad regularly covers among the highest distances. Slow CB's like Maguire can be part of a high press squad too, they just need cover. Our issues from pretty much every aspect, on ball, off ball, whatever, is down to a lack of coaching. That's it. Is it any surprise that we look poorly coached... when our manager wouldn't get a job at literally any other club in the top 5 leagues?

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Ole was never the right man for the job. Why the club got rid of Mourinho instead of Pogba remains a mystery to me.

criticalanalysis

This is sad but my only hope and enthusiam at the moment is that we will finally get a modern coach/manager to get behind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusions that ultimately it may still mean fighting for the Top 4 trophy but I haven't really 'got behind' any of the managers post-Fergie because they are/were all tactical dinosaurs.

The grass being greener yeah yeah, I know all that but for the first time, I will actually 'believe'. Be it Poch or even Allegri :/

Revaulx

In itself, no.

If by some absolute miracle we bring in someone who can manage Ed as well as the players, and get Ed to put a proper footballing structure in place, then maybe things will improve longer term. It would take someone with considerable tact though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Pogba has to go and Ole is going to get fired trying to accommodate him.

We shouldn’t ever be relying on matic. He had a good spell last season but we were squeezing the last bit out of him and we got away with it. It’s very poor management that we didn’t replace him or at least start phasing him out last summer. This is arguably the most important position in any team and you need a top player in there running the midfield

all our messing around with centre forward loans instead of committing the money to try and improve on what we already have. competition is good. numbers for numbers sake is not.

we didn’t get Sancho and his replacements were signed too late in the widow to help out... How do we still not have an actual right winger? Ole was let down by the owners and Ed and now the fans are being let down by ole and the players. Saying that there is enough money being spent on this squad to expect a certain level and we really aren’t seeing it.

I wanted Ole to succeed but I just can’t back him anymore after the last few months but this all goes back on the owners. They hired Ole and didn’t fully back him and now we’ve to rebuild again... you can’t just leave a team that’s supposed to win with such obvious weaknesses but we do it regularly. I fear Most managers will struggle for various reasons to fully make a team in their image here.