There’s a feeling of inevitability about Ole losing his job

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whether Ole is good enough or not - I hope Woodward feels like he put himself inbetween a rock and a hard place when Ole gets sacked.

I hope the fans and ex players go crazy at what woodward had made a legend of the club go through.

It's the perfect time for the retaliation at Woodward and the Glazers. I reckon Woodward would keep eyes on whether the fans are allowed back to stadiums to decide when to sack Ole and hire the next manager like Pochettino to keep the glory hunter fans steady and happy before they get back in to the stadium.

dev1l

Woody is essentially the middleman between the manager and the Glazers. The problem is that he's on the Glazers' side.

Summer 2019
Ole:
The team is a mess. We probably need as many as 5 solid additions to the starting XI if our goal is to challenge for titles.
Woody: Ok, I'll give you 40% of that. Here are 2 defenders and an unproven Championship winger.
Ole: We have problems in midfield and attack as well, though?
Woody: What was that?
Ole: N.. Nothing! I guess if Pogba can stay injury free we may reach top 4...
Woody: Now that's what I'm talking about!

*Pogba gets injured*
*Total disaster ensues*

January 2020
Woody:
*sigh* Ok, I'll give you 60%! Here's Bruno and a backup striker from the Chinese league. Better hustle now, boy!
Ole: Oh gee! Thanks, Mr. Woodward!

*finishes 3rd after a miraculous comeback*

Summer 2020
Ole:
I did OK, no? Could I maybe get the remaining 40% now? And maybe some bench options but that's not the most imp...
Woody: Sold to the man who looks like Gollum!
Ole: Oh boy, I can't wait! Finally United will have a starting XI that kind of looks like a United team!
Woody: Actually, I'm only giving you 40% of your current request. I figured that translates to some bench options. See you in January! If you still have a job, hehehe.
Brilliant :)

One thing I d like to add, seriously, imo Joel Glazer is more involved in the decisions - Woody is simply the executor.

dev1l

More depressing for me is that I hold out absolutely no faith that we’ll get the next setup right. I’m finding it incredibly hard to believe that simply getting Poch in will suddenly stop the rot. Our issues run a lot deeper and are more systemic than just the manager. It’s a lot harder to change the people at the very top, though.
Agreed. Imo we don't have a football director because someone in Florida like to acts like one - when in reality he s clueless about football aka soccer

Remember the geese

Problem is both are under contract and do you think The Glazers will pay huge severance packages during a pandemic? It will be Pochettino because he`s free and flexible with a smaller budget the latter reason is why I don`t see us hiring Allegri
Yeah I guess it all comes down to finance.

GBBQ

There are three scenarios where Ole gets binned:

1. The players revolt (seems unlikely despite the rumours, player harmony has seemed quite ok up to now and i suspect quite a few like him)
2. We are mathematically out of contention for the top 4 (as evidenced by how bad we were doing pre-lockdown and ole keeping his job even with poch available)
3. Pep or Klopp decide to jump ship (as the only managers in the world where you might forego performance and just get them cos they're available)

I think the media are seeing the opportunity to pile on to our misery with evocative, unverifiable insider scoops that we're all falling for.

its not been the best start to the season by any means but looking at other results it might just be that type of season. Ole could easily get back on track after the international break and all this will be forgotten about. I would like to think that his getting CL and being pretty screwed over during the transfer window (blame Ed / Glazers / COVID / world economy as appropriate but he doesn't appear to have gotten the players needed to push on) has earned him a stay of execution from a knee jerk reaction to 3 poor games.

James Peril

Lots of silly excuses above, but if he loses his job it’s on merit - because he wasn’t good enough. If he doesn’t then great, it means we’re doing well. And that’s what everyone wants in the end isn’t it? We must not reward mediocrity.

I don’t have the feeling of inevitable sacking on the cards like Mourinho, because that absolute nutcase worked against everyone at the club and undermined everything we strived for. Ole wants the best for the club, even if it means him leaving Manchester. He will never admit that he’s wildly unqualified on every single level for the job though, that’s for the top brass to tell him.

I have come to the conclusion that no other manager on earth can challenge Klopp or Guardiola in the league, and that’s fine until they get the feck off the island, but I want more than 3rd in the worst way possible. I want to be entertained, that’s all that matters. Watching United is close to a chore right now with this guy and the team is more than capable of the opposite.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kinda. It felt like we were ready to make a step up, but every time we get there, we seem to give up – both on and, more importantly, off the pitch. Woodward especially.
We haven't really covered any holes in our squad, barely managed to offload a few of our deadweight and haven't signed any player individually good enough to take the attention off the unbalanced nature of our team (although I like van de Beck and I think that he's going to end up a good signing).

And Ole was never good enough to carry this kind of a project without an appropriate back up – in fact, it's even debatable if he can successfully manage a top-club with a well-functioning structure, let alone us.

jesperjaap

Been lucky to keep it this long. That form after the Covid break saved his arse (and a few games before to be fair), easy to forget that he was pretty much a dead man walking up until that point.

Like both LvG and Jose before him, managed to cling on to the job a little bit longer than he should due to a small patch of form.
Sadly as I like him and how he comes across not just for what he did as a player.........I agree. I think you are slightly wrong though, that it was the signing of Fernandes saved his arse. Both the purple patch of form he had (as he isnt ever going to consistenly be that player over a season he was for three months) and the lift it had upon the rest of the team was absolutely huge.

People can talk of how well we did last season and finishing 3rd theoretically we did, but I think defensively the quality of the premiership was poor last year, I also think bar Liverpool, Wolves, Leicester and Chelsea, the top half of the table, majority of teams form was poor, especially the bigger clubs in comparison to what they are capable of.

He did well to finish 3rd, but lets be honest we stumbled into that position, we were actually poor the last month or so of the season and helped out by others especially Leicester falling apart at the final hurdle.

However this season I do think Everton who have bought really well, Arsenal who are now buying in to Arteta and a couple of other sides will also competing for the top four, maybe even SPurs, we wont finish top four on last seasons performances let alone these so far.

Fo me the biggest problem isnt the manager of course, it is the board and also several of the players.....but the most important thing right NOW, huge cracks showing that he might not have the dressing room on his side, when that happens, its only a matter of time.

Personally I like Ole with the media, I like he is trying to continue the proper United philosophy.....I am not convinced he is astute enough at actually managing a side though. By that I mean partly tactically, though ironically I dont think that is as huge as people think for me, Ferguson for example to me at least wasnt tactically a great manager....what he was great at was his ability to adapt to the times both with players and interacting with them and motivating them, he was a master at getting respect and trust from his players....I just dont see that in Ole at all sadly and that is why I fear of him losing the dressign room, as already seems to be happening.

It doesnt matter who the manager is though. What needs to change is the people who are in charge of recruitment, making deals and selling players as its a shambles. Not only are we mssing out on players we should be getting we are also failing miserably to offload fringe players let alone ones should be moved on even just as importanly, the inconsistent players without the right attitude or ability or fitness....I know its always a divided opinion, but what I read *yes its press" but mainly what I see over a season players like Pogba and Martial....sorry Mourinho was right, they need to go in my opnion, both very talented, both seem toxic and at times disinterested and neither have been consistent enough to merit the fees and wages they are on. There realy are better players in terms of how I would expect them to perform than these two and certainly easy to manage as part of a cohesive side.

Amazing that this window we have signed 5 players and spent pretty much the same as Everton. Of course ours havent played yet so maybe prejudging....but there signings have transformed them from a mid table side to a real top four contender and a proper looking side. Our still looks to have leaks in several areas and we had a better side than them to start with?

We keep hearing about a project and phases over time. ALways hear people each summer "we wont sign more than four it takes time" blah blah ruddy blah stfu, we are no nearer a title challenging team after several windows than when we heard Jose saying similar things after his first season. For any new manager there is STILL a huge job to be done with mayb eup to 10 players to get rid of and for me at least four top signings needed, thats a joke and no manager can do that without being backed.

On the positive side, I am quite excited to see how the likes of Greenwood, Mengi, Diallo, Mjebri and a few others in the youth develop over the next couple of years.....but of course, no guarantees with youngsters as we have seen with several talented ones over the las few years but there are at least SEVERAL at the moment, thats our possible saving grace moving forward

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The feeling among other things is born from the fact he was never remotely qualified. You wouldn't even call him and unknown quantity. He was sacked by Cardiff.
I am apathetic to his inevitable sacking because we are saddled with dog-poo owners, even though Ole is not good enough.

macheda14

I’ve seen a fair few people point to the fact that we’ve won three out of five games this season.
Luton: we should have easily won, yet for a long period of the first half we were looking pretty shoddy.
Brighton (prem): We were atrocious and should have lost quite handily. We were oh so lucky to draw.
Brighton (LC): Probably the only good performance and even then we still looked vulnerable at times.

It’s not just that we’ve lost 2 games, it’s that every performance has had some major issues.

reddevil702

Unfortunately he won't be sacked, the board will continue it's ridiculous decision making by keeping him on long enough to miss out on top 4 and get eliminated for the CL.

L1nk

Part of the reason is because he shouldn't have ever really got the job on a permanent basis in the first place, it's always had a kind of temp feel about it.

jeff_goldblum

Ole is responsible for his budget and his transfers as he should be he is a manager not a coach.
I'm not sure how anyone who has paid any attention whatsoever to the last 7 years can come to the conclusion that Manchester United's recruitment process basically amounts to sitting Ole down in front of FIFA Career Mode.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Woody is essentially the middleman between the manager and the Glazers. The problem is that he's on the Glazers' side.

Summer 2019
Ole:
The team is a mess. We probably need as many as 5 solid additions to the starting XI if our goal is to challenge for titles.
Woody: Ok, I'll give you 40% of that. Here are 2 defenders and an unproven Championship winger.
Ole: We have problems in midfield and attack as well, though?
Woody: What was that?
Ole: N.. Nothing! I guess if Pogba can stay injury free we may reach top 4...
Woody: Now that's what I'm talking about!

*Pogba gets injured*
*Total disaster ensues*

January 2020
Woody:
*sigh* Ok, I'll give you 60%! Here's Bruno and a backup striker from the Chinese league. Better hustle now, boy!
Ole: Oh gee! Thanks, Mr. Woodward!

*finishes 3rd after a miraculous comeback*
Proper fanboi post, this. Ole spent nearly 200 million in his first season at the club but somehow that's spun into this weird fanstasy nonsense to make him look hard done by.

dr.twinny

The feeling among other things is born from the fact he was never remotely qualified. You wouldn't even call him and unknown quantity. He was sacked by Cardiff.
I am apathetic to his inevitable sacking because we are saddled with dog-poo owners, even though Ole is not good enough.
Pretty much this. Club legend and one of my favourite players growing up but I was never for his permanent appointment from the get go. He's done well last season to get top 3 but if he gets sacked, it will be on merit and not on sentiment. If this terrible form continues through to December, he'll be out the door by then.

I just hope the club is looking seriously at progressive managers rather than safe bets. This is a result business and the more we realize that than wasting time with underperforming managers (and players), the better imo.

dev1l

Proper fanboi post, this. Ole spent nearly 200 million in his first season at the club but somehow that's spun into this weird fanstasy nonsense to make him look hard done by.
So do you think that with deadwood squad left over by Mourinho we should be challenging for the title just by spending 200million?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So do you think that with deadwood squad left over by Mourinho we should be challenging for the title just by spending 200million?
Why would I think that? And can we not use the word *just* next to 200 million? It's a heck of a lot of money.

Murray3007

unless he somehow gets us 5 wins in the next 5 games I think he will be gone, and the way the team looked so far it looks more likely that it will be 5 defeats, for me its just a matter of when he's away.

GameOn

He's basically a lame duck waiting to get fired.

Look, I like Ole, but let's be objective: He's not a worldclass manager like Fergie was or like Pep and Klopp are right now.

He's solid, but nothing more.

He's not outsmarting other coaches in actual games, he doesn't turn mediocre players into overachieving worldbeaters and he doesn't exactly have a lot of pulling power on the transfer market.

Those fact alone will get him fired rather sooner than later, despite him not even being a "bad manager". It's just that he's clearly not someone "special" and this will always get you fired at a big club like United, Real, Bayern, Barca etc.

Cold hard reality.

Reactions: Fortitude

dev1l

Why would I think that? And can we not use the word *just* next to 200 million? It's a heck of a lot of money.
Agreed. But it s not enough. The rot had been going for such a long time that 200 million are not enough if we are to compete for honours.

Russky14

Unless post Intl break the players performances are transformed (doubt it) then I see us sinking into the bottom 3 over the coming 3 weeks (we should be bottom now). So no doubt end of Nov gone. We need to sure up the defensive aspect of the game for the moment otherwise it will be an embarrassment.

Club leg end or not, he & the coaches are out of his depth regardless of the crazy recruitment. And don't get ideas of a DoF role for Ole.

dev1l

unless he somehow gets us 5 wins in the next 5 games I think he will be gone, and the way the team looked so far it looks more likely that it will be 5 defeats, for me its just a matter of when he's away.
5 wins in 5 games? Is that what you pretend?

Glideman

Oh for sure this is his last season. His performances over the next few weeks will decide if it’s in November or May.

dev1l

not sure what your actually meaning to ne honest but unless he produces something like that his time will be up here,
Do you think that s realistic? I don't think so.

Tbh I have the suspicion that some of the anti Ole news in the media is coming from inside the club in order to gauge fans reaction if they sack Ole.

Also I found it a bit strange that Pochettino waited so long to get a job. Last year he spoke to Juventus (also apparently his Argentinian family originated from Turin)
However when Juventus sacked Sarri they could easily have gone for him, instead they opted for Pirlo - someone with no coaching experience at all (not even Cardiff :))
So Imo Pochettino might have been promised a job somewhere.

K Stand Knut

Anyone else getting this? I feel like he’s doomed this season, I felt eerily similar during the summer of 2018 with Jose. It just feels like the players, the board, the media & even a large section of the fans have given up on him. We saw something identical with Jose, he got us a good league finish, didn’t get the players he wanted, sacked by Christmas. This whole pre season & subsequent start has dejavu written all over it.
Have you been hacking my phone??

I literally said the same things to a couple of United mates in a WhatsApp group the other day.

Think it’s probably unfair to compare Ole to Jose but there is definitely something eerily similar to 2 years ago.

Mostly, and worryingly, the players and the seemingly lack of passion or general giving a toss.

I give Ole until mid-December at the very best and he’ll be gone before the city game

He'sRaldo

Ole is far from the best manager in the world, so this inevitability shouldn't be surprising. The EPL is very competitive right now in terms of managers with the top 2 in the world, so expecting anything else from Ole would not make sense. He's never been at this level really.

The better our manager is, the better we'll perform. In the same way everyone acknowledges that the better our board/ players/ coaches etc are, the better we'll perform.

hubbuh

I'm not sure how anyone who has paid any attention whatsoever to the last 7 years can come to the conclusion that Manchester United's recruitment process basically amounts to sitting Ole down in front of FIFA Career Mode.
That was a baffling comment. Likewise the guy that said watching our football under Ole is a chore. Have people not been paying attention to literally anything that's gone on either behind the scenes or before Ole?!

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Yes.

Losing 1-6 precisely against Mou felt like a curse.

Dead man walking.

DoomSlayer

I've been having the same feelings since the first game of the season. Everything was so similar to Mourinho's last season, bad transfer window, bad pre-season, big expectations and constant media pressure.

Hopefully Ole turns it around quickly for our own sake, not his and I'm sure that's his mindset as well because he loves the club. But the current trajectory is very bad for us, whatever way we as fans try to spin it.

Robbie Boy

Feels like there has been leaks and everything just looks a mess at the minute. I think he could be gone after the next 5/6 games barring a monumental improvement.

dev1l

That was a baffling comment. Likewise the guy that said watching our football under Ole is a chore. Have people not been paying attention to literally anything that's gone on either behind the scenes or before Ole?!
They must have enjoyed Moyes record number of crosses in a game, LVG record number of sideway passes and Mourinho s entertaining style :)

GenZRed

Following the 0-2 home loss to Burnley last season it seemed inevitable that Ole would be sacked. we signed Bruno Fernandes then things picked up and Ole's job was safe.

There has been a dark cloud hovering over this club towards the end of the summer, especially when no signings were made. Things picked up after signing VdB but the general consensus is that the summer was bad for us, which is true. Taking Cavaini off the scrapheap doesn't change that.