Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

marktan

He's not wank, but he's been terrible for Liverpool. Slows everything down, can't tackle to save his life. Occasionally plays a good forward pass but it boggles the mind that he's playing as the DM. It's a bit like Pogba, he's not dynamic enough currently to play that role, he has to be an AM for me. Henderson and Fabinho aren't as nice on the ball but they're a good level or two ahead of Thiago in all round midfield play currently, and yet they never get to play there.

I think playing in the Bundesliga where Bayern dominate games and an easy run in the CL (bar the final against PSG) warped people's view on him. He's pretty far from the genuine top class midfielders.

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Well, I can't see where he goes from here. I just can't see Liverpool paying those 20 Milion that are left. That ship has sunk. Stunning. Will be an interesting summer.

Classical Mechanic

He must be the worst signing in Premier League history. Since he’s been in the side and starting every game Liverpool have gone on an unimaginably bad run of form. Like literally no one could have forseen them losing 5 home games on the bounce. It’s absolutely hilarious.

cyberman

He must be the worst signing in Premier League history. Since he’s been in the side and starting every game Liverpool have gone on an unimaginably bad run of form. Like literally no one could have forseen them losing 5 home games on the bounce. It’s absolutely hilarious.
He will be gone in the summer to raise some funds. Well that will be the excuse but we all will know the truth

Mindhunter

I still remember our Thiago thread from that summer than ran into 1000 pages. That was epic muppetry. No body could have predicted what happened next.

Blackwidow

Omerta. Real greaseball shit amongst the Bavarians. Nothing the Premier League can do; Thiago is a Bundesliga Made Man
Thiago at Bayern was part of a great midfield and complemented this with his passing. He really was extraordinary in that. This midfield might need something different. He wanted to experience something new... I guess he never lost so many games before...

Last edited:

SER19

Neville and jenas still think he's running the show because of one pass in the first 10 minutes against united?

Christ that was embarrassing and a prime example of narrative building from media

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Neville and jenas still think he's running the show because of one pass in the first 10 minutes against united?

Christ that was embarrassing and a prime example of narrative building from media
That was terrible. Especially as he over hit a simple pass and ruined the attack a couple of seconds after

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

It's what I've been saying all season, the way Liverpool play at their best doesn't suit his skillset let alone the way they're playing now.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I rated him so much at Bayern, still think he would be great in another team/system, but feck me this is absolutely hilarious.

All forgiven for that "Moyes summer" when he went to Bayern.

tomaldinho1

It's what I've been saying all season, the way Liverpool play at their best doesn't suit his skillset let alone the way they're playing now.
Yeah agreed, the irony of it all is whilst he is trying to be the Spanish Cattermole, the genuine Cattermole would suit this system much better.

prateik

How many genuine moments of quality has he had so far ? Forget team not playing well.. Liverpool still get forward in numbers and have pacey forwards and full backs that bomb forward all the time.. What is the world class midfielder sitting in the middle of the pitch doing to help them?

Looks like he needs 10 world class players playing well around him to show his true world class self. he can totally dominate games by passing it sideways then.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Umm. It really doesn’t make any sense though.
Yeah, I think I got out of bed the wrong side too today.

I mean doesn't it take almost every away manager a lot longer to lose 5 games at a stadium than a home player? Only not going to be the case very rarely. Scholes v Allardyce at Old Trafford to pick a random combination. Bet Scholes lost 5 before Big Sam in terms of time and Allardyce might well have lost on all of his first 5 visits.

Edit: Sad enough to check, Allardyce actually won on his first two trips then promptly lost 5 in a row. 7 years to lose 5.

Last edited:

ryadmahrez

I wonder what people expect from him. Sometimes i hear people say, thiago is there for the creativity. I mean he can make line breaking passes, but creating chances has never been one of his qualities. The guy averages 1 goal and 2 assists per season. Most of his passes are safe, but he puts a little flair on it.

Imo last season and the bayern pr made him unbelievable overrated. Some were even saying the best midfielder in the world, but based on what? Last season was his best season. Before he couldnt even get ahead of a player like Koke in the Spanish team.

mav_9me

I wonder what people expect from him. Sometimes i hear people say, thiago is there for the creativity. I mean he can make line breaking passes, but creating chances has never been one of his qualities. The guy averages 1 goal and 2 assists per season. Most of his passes are safe, but he puts a little flair on it.

Imo last season and the bayern pr made him unbelievable overrated. Some were even saying the best midfielder in the world, but based on what? Last season was his best season. Before he couldnt even get ahead of a player like Koke in the Spanish team.
Expected more penetrative passing. Didn't expect them to miss Henderson in CM with Thiago in there.

Schneckerl

Just because Thiago is terrible right now doesn't mean he was never great. A quality player from 2014 - 2019 when healthy.

simplyared

This is an example of a player who's grossly overrated. Klopp is putting his money on a dead horse and the sooner he realizes it the better. He's already shown the player far too much faith by giving him too many minutes. Salah was livid when subbed yesterday and had every right to be. Could backfire on Klopp if he doesn't count his losses with Thiago.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I didn't jump aboard this originally as he's obviously a quality player but damn he's had either feck all or a horrible impact on their team :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He averaged an assist or goal every 7 games or something wasn't it?

hubbuh

Which club would even want him now? Massive wages with another 3 years left on the contract. I'll be very surprised if he leaves in the summer.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If he was available on a free in the Summer would you take him?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Which club would even want him now? Massive wages with another 3 years left on the contract. I'll be very surprised if he leaves in the summer.
Why would he leave anyways? If things are like this next year then the conversation becomes valid

If he was available on a free in the Summer would you take him?
Absolutely. Have you seen our midfield?

Plus he's had a year to adjust to PL football.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This might be one of Liverpools worst signings in recent times. To be fair I don't think anyone genuinely thought he'd be this poor.

Some of it can of course be the ol' "not used to the league" trope, but for the announced quality, you'd think he'd be the category of player that is a boss anywhere he goes.