Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Nothing to see here ;) He's got time and quality on his side and will eventually come good. I mean, in the end they bought Thiago and not Kimmich or even Goretzka :P
What? :houllier:

Murray3007

was always massively over rated, listened to Didi Hamman talk about him during the summer said he didnt think Thiago would suit the premiership and hes been proved 100% correct. he had a cracking couple of games in the CL last season but if it was not for Pavard being injured he would not have even been starting for Bayern. hes basically turned in to Fernadinho for being allowed 10 tackles before even getting spoken to, its actually quite embarrassing, how he stayed on the park v Wolves was actually laughable.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
was always massively over rated, listened to Didi Hamman talk about him during the summer said he didnt think Thiago would suit the premiership and hes been proved 100% correct. he had a cracking couple of games in the CL last season but if it was not for Pavard being injured he would not have even been starting for Bayern. hes basically turned in to Fernadinho for being allowed 10 tackles before even getting spoken to, its actually quite embarrassing, how he stayed on the park v Wolves was actually laughable.
This. I never saw it with him and personally when I saw Klopp go for him i recognised that things will change for Liverpool. The type of football his CL winning team played compared to a team that has Thiago identifies a change of Klopp's mindset and tactics.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
One should always be suspicious of his own opinion if it is in line with Didi Hamann's.

Thiago was exceptional last season and the seasons before that. I haven't watched Liverpool too much but judging by the reactions he seems to have a bad season. If that's the case it's his first in years.

He had a very difficult start though all the ciecumstances considered. But he's got 3-4 remaining years at top level and Liverpool will eventually get back into form. I wouldn't get my hopes up, he's too good to fail. People shouldn't judge that quickly.

Murray3007

One should always be suspicious of his own opinion if it is in line with Didi Hamann's.

Thiago was exceptional last season and the seasons before that. I haven't watched Liverpool too much but judging by the reactions he seems to have a bad season. If that's the case it's his first in years.

He had a very difficult start though all the ciecumstances considered. But he's got 3-4 remaining years at top level and Liverpool will eventually get back into form. I wouldn't get my hopes up, he's too good to fail. People shouldn't judge that quickly.
he wasnt exceptional at all, he had a fantatstic spell towards the end of the season but hardly set the place on fire the rest of the time he was at Bayern, as for being to good to fail, there has been plenty better players then Thiago who have failed in the premiership, a season in ain't a quick judgement

SwedishFish

There is no such thing as "too good to fail". Thiago for Liverpool is a square peg in a round hole, they wanted him to be the new Wijnaldum (who will leave on a free transfer this summer) but he's not been capable to fill his shoes in that Liverpool system.

Thiago was very good for Bayern Munich but it's obvious that how he's played in this Liverpool system is not playing to his strengths. I'm not sure if he's suited to a quick-playing team like Liverpool aims to be. He's been tumescent in the Premier League.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

I still like Thiago and would take him back, but that made me snort :D

I've always liked Thiago but let's be honest, that's not true. Barcelona and Bayern don't both let you leave without too much fuss if you're that good. Technical, intricate players like him don't always work in leagues like this one, no matter how good they are.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I've always liked Thiago but let's be honest, that's not true. Barcelona and Bayern don't both let you leave without too much fuss if you're that good. Technical, intricate players like him don't always work in leagues like this one, no matter how good they are.
They didn't

They didn't
He left Barcelona for a pittance because he wasn't getting played enough to uphold his release clause, and i don't think there was any effort at all to keep him at Bayern was there? The most he's ever moved for was €25m, that says it all. He's a tidy player but not as good as he should have been.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He left Barcelona for a pittance because he wasn't getting played enough to uphold his release clause, and i don't think there was any effort at all to keep him at Bayern was there? The most he's ever moved for was €25m, that says it all. He's a tidy player but not as good as he should have been.
They made use of a release clause shortly before it expired, Barca seriously wanted to keep Thiago. He was held in very high regards there and the fans were extremely disappointed when he left.

Bayern tried to extend with Thiago. They had already agreed terms but suddenly he didn't want to sign anymore. They made him an even better offer but he still wanted to go. Flick even said as much in a press conference. The situation dragged on for ages. Similar situation to Alaba now.

They made use of a release clause shortly before it expired, Barca seriously wanted to keep Thiago.
Then why didn't they play him more?

He's a good player but he's not some god like figure who is guaranteed to succeed if given enough time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Then why didn't they play him more?

He's a good player but he's not some god like figure who is guaranteed to succeed if given enough time.
Because they had Xavi, Iniesa, Fabregas and Busquets in their prime while Thiago was still a prospect at that time. I think you forget that Thiago had just turned 22 when he moved to Bayern.

Idxomer

He might be one of the slowest midfielders in the league, no better than Mark Noble.

Pace Abuser

He's so damn slow. Running through treacle with lead boots on. He is pointless and does nothing but foul. Fabinho was back but still nothing.

Red00012

He’s fond of giving possession away

But acknowledges his mistakes by giving a thumbs up

AshRK

He just doesn't fit into the Klopp's system. He is still a top player but has joined the wrong system.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Bayern didn't fleece Liverpool. He is a top player. Just hasn't worked out for him and Liverpool.

ti vu

Bayern didn't fleece Liverpool. He is a top player. Just hasn't worked out for him and Liverpool.
Agree. He would suit Bayern better. His ability to recycle possession would allow Bayern to move Kimmich around. Kimmich is good in central midfield position, but arguably it hinders other best aspect of his game having him to come deep to pick up the ball. For example, getting Kimmich to crossing position more often would cause more issue to opposition. Thiago likes to dwell on ball which is a plus in Bayern game plan, as they already have players (in deeper position) with ability to pass, and drive forward around him. He can just continue to withdraw, but as long as he finds one of his teammates, it can open the game for Bayern with few direct pass (this is the highlight against Barcelona last season).

Liverpool needs more direct players as their forwards thrive in fast pace end to end situation. Thiago slows thing down just break their gameplan

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Did Milner really start over Thiago last night?? If so surely that says it all!!?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How long do we keep calling him a "top player"? He isn't even being played out of position or anything. That entire his game crumbles due to being thrust into a new system says a lot about him. A truly great player should be able to adapt better and quicker. He's hardly being asked to play for Stoke.

man united 4eva

There was plenty of members on here stroking their stump over Thiago just before he joined Liverpool.. It was even more embarrassing to witness the mass wankfest as he'd already made it clear he would only leave Bayern for Liverpool... You know who you are.. :nono::lol:

Wayne's World

if he played for us, he'd be a much better player in our system. Just doesn't suit Klopp's way of playing football and at the age he is at, he's not going to change his game up for it

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How long do we keep calling him a "top player"? He isn't even being played out of position or anything. That entire his game crumbles due to being thrust into a new system says a lot about him. A truly great player should be able to adapt better and quicker. He's hardly being asked to play for Stoke.
Not necessarily, I just think his strong traits are not extremely complementary with what's needed for us to play our best football so a transition might simply not be possible, doesn't mean that he's not a great player anymore.

Certainly expected more from him when he signed though. Hopefully he's just the first piece of a new style that Klopp wants us to adapt and more players will come in this summer that suit that transition to the new style, but I'm not really holding my breath.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
There was plenty of members on here stroking their stump over Thiago just before he joined Liverpool.. It was even more embarrassing to witness the mass wankfest as he'd already made it clear he would only leave Bayern for Liverpool... You know who you are.. :nono::lol:
Everything will be fine once Fabinho is back in CM to help him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not necessarily, I just think his strong traits are not extremely complementary with what's needed for us to play our best football so a transition might simply not be possible, doesn't mean that he's not a great player anymore.

Certainly expected more from him when he signed though. Hopefully he's just the first piece of a new style that Klopp wants us to adapt and more players will come in this summer that suit that transition to the new style, but I'm not really holding my breath.
It would be possible if he was a bit more adaptable.

He's been a very good player for a few years, but him being easy on the eye and one good CL campaign created this illusion of him being a truly great CM. I'm sure he will improve for you next year, but I think many overrated him. He's nowhere near the elite CMs we've seen over the last 15 years, the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, Modric, Kroos, Scholes etc, but the way people were gushing over his apparent greatness, you'd think he was in that company. He's basically always been a great watch but only had a few seasons of really hitting his full stride.

simplyared

Thought it was his best performance for Liverpool when he came on last night. He didn't hold up play like before, he got forward more and made some good pinpoint passes into Real's box.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's nowhere near the elite CMs we've seen over the last 15 years, the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, Modric, Kroos, Scholes etc,
Definitely agree on that! :lol: Luckily there are quite a few levels between Xavi and average.