Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool - Will he be a success?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bayern won't miss him, Goretzka and Kimmich the real stars of Munich's Midfield.
He's a good player but it's funny how people don't state 'will he be able to handle the pace of the premiership' with Thiago, yet seem too with majority of other foreign brought players.
The fact remains he was good in the Champions League, less so in the league. He's never plied his trade in the premiership, I think he'll find it a challenge.
Also will his groin hold out under the extra demands and games he'll have to play?
He is overrated on here by the majority, I'm not losing much sleep over Liverpool getting him.
The thing is he'll probably get the same special medicine that Liverpool players have been getting under Klopp and run around for 12 months without breaking a sweat or picking up an injury. They play like Klopp hits the "remove fatigue" cheat button before each game

Traub

Henderson--Fabinho--Thiago

Shame we missed out.
Weren't we seriously close to signing all 3 of them (perhaps Fabinho a bit less)?

Their premier league performances are already on point, so I doubt he will make much difference in the league. I think his biggest contribution is going to come in Europe.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Best CM of the world. There is nothing he can´t do. Prime Modric and Kroos the only CMs in the same tier ever since Iniesta left Barca.

Under Heynckes, Guardiola and Flick he learned what means to work hard and how to defend. He has the unique ability to pass players through the midfield consistently. With Kroos the most pressing resistent player. He is one of those players why you pay money to watch football.

I could spend hours watching his youtube compilations.

Had small hope he could join Manchest United. The amount of people who were afraid of him benching Pogba and therefore were against him was ridiculous to see.

No doubts he will be a huge success for them.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Weren't we seriously close to signing all 3 of them (perhaps Fabinho a bit less)?

Their premier league performances are already on point, so I doubt he will make much difference in the league. I think his biggest contribution is going to come in Europe.
Fabinho we shouldve signed 100% in 2017. Mourinho previously his manager at Real Madrid, we needed a defensive mid and right back cover. He played both positions and was fantastic for Monaco, available at a good price and young. Mourinho goes for a 29 year old Matic who is 6 years older than Fabinho, for a bit more than what Liverpool paid for Fabinho. Says it all about him, didn't care for younger players. Paid more for a player 6 years older who was already past his best, and less versatile.

GlasgowCeltic

Wonder if he may tempt Klopp into switching to a two man CM at times and really start smashing teams again

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Player who most of us wanted to join United, I was even on the muppet train. Now he has reached his potential and is moving to Liverpool. Truly nightmare scenario.

simplyared

I'm thinking about when he was subbed towards the end of CL final recently. They zoomed the camera in on him as he sat in the stands with his team mates. The emotion on his face said it all. He was so involved on what was going on on the pitch. No question about his comittment for the club and he'll be no different for Liverpool. Another great signing by Klopp!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The thing is he'll probably get the same special medicine that Liverpool players have been getting under Klopp and run around for 12 months without breaking a sweat or picking up an injury. They play like Klopp hits the "remove fatigue" cheat button before each game
It's called the ventolin cheat...just take a deep breath...

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The biggest issue will be how his body holds up in the more physical environment of the Premier League. In recent years he hasn't had the massive injuries (like cruciate tears) of his earlier career, but he hasn't been consistently healthy either - lots of muscular problems with his legs and groin, ankle ligament issues, etc. His injury history is a pretty big red flag for playing at a high level into his 30s.

Its still a great transfer for Liverpool, especially at the price. They have 1-2 years left before they need to turn over big parts of the team and will be competing for both the league and CL during that time. Thiago gives them a better chance at adding even more big trophies during this cycle.

Handré1990

He will be, sadly. Could potentially make Liverpool a more complete side, although it’s hard to imagine them topping the last two seasons. On paper, he looks like something of a missing link in their side. A profile of player that can help them dominate possession.

Josh 76

Wonder if he may tempt Klopp into switching to a two man CM at times and really start smashing teams again
That would be insane.
He would Probaly only play that way when one of the full backs is missing.
In fairness, it does give him more options.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Super deal and he'll be a massive success. Having someone who can pass like him in midfield will be great for Salah and Mane.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Bet he has less than Liverpool in that position .
Amazing player and I'd trade him for gundo in a heartbeat but we have KDB, Foden, Bernardo, Rodri, Gundogan and Fernandinho who all can play central midfield. Thiago is obviously better than all bar KDB but another player in midfield who's calm and composed on the ball is the least of our needs right now..

Paul_Scholes18

Pep:

"We have enough players in this position," he said when asked why City had not made a move for Thiago.
I thought they lacked midfielders now that D Silva left. I guess he is not an attacking midfielder though, but they could easily get him in.
I guess they have Rodri, but I am not super impressed with him.

DarkLord

Why is Pep not after him? They really needed a player like him too.
I remember when we were trying to get him in 2013 during Moyes's era, Pep had such a boner for him.

"I spoke to Bayern Munich about my concept and told them why I want Thiago. He is the only player I want. It'll be him or no one".

Revan

Assumptionman
He will piss over the league’s best midfielders and toy with them.

Best signing of this transfer window IMO.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bruno and Pogba will smash him down as we win 3-0 over Liverpool at Anfield.
Pogba actually has the Rooney Anfield syndrome and sucks in that game, and IMO Thiago is actually better than either of them.

Would love for it to happen though.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I have no doubt he'll be a success- Klopp can do no wrong, the evil bastard :mad:

The only consolation is that they were going to win the league and probably Champions League again anyway :(

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He will be a joy to watch in the Premier League, shame it's for Liverpool...

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe, but we saw it with Pogba when he was controlling it in tight spaces. He would do great, keep the ball then pass it to Herrera who would then be Herrera in tight spaces, regardless of how well Pogba did.
I just dont think 1 ball playing CM is enough for a change of play but obviously Klopp knows 100000x more about football than i do
When Klopp reaches UCL final with BVB, he had Gundogan in the controlling role, and it worked pretty well. Thiago is better and more experienced than Gundogan was, so I think that they will be fine.

Revan

Assumptionman
The main shred of hope I’m clinging onto is that normally when Bayern sell a high profile player they turn to shite at their next club
Toni Kroos says high.

Honestly, this is very comparable to that one. Their best midfielder who is still at his peak leaving for new challenge (or more money or both).

I hope it is another Ballack but it can well be another Kroos (Schweinsteiger was already past it so it does not count).

Revan

Assumptionman

We were serious on signing Thiago (but Moyes didn’t know who is him) and Henderson (but SAF thought that he’ll retire early). We weren’t for Fabinho though he was opening pleading us to sign him.

Josh 76

Pogba actually has the Rooney Anfield syndrome and sucks in that game, and IMO Thiago is actually better than either of them.

Would love for it to happen though.
Think he's only played once at Anfield

GlasgowCeltic

Toni Kroos says high.

Honestly, this is very comparable to that one. Their best midfielder who is still at his peak leaving for new challenge (or more money or both).

I hope it is another Ballack but it can well be another Kroos (Schweinsteiger was already past it so it does not count).
Is Ballack generally considered a Prem flop? Feel like he was good for them sortve post Mourinho onwards, maybe unfairly attached with Sheva who was defo a flop

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Doubt that we'll see him though, Klopp likes to ease in new players and Thiago will probably be no different.