Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

If we could get him... :drool:
Sounds like Falk is saying that obviously Liverpool are still in the box seat but as you saw with Werner things can change.

Ole maybe needs to get on the phone to Thiago like Lampard did with Werner and outline his project to him. Yes I appreciate the two are at different stages of their careers but no harm in giving it a try.

Giggsy13

Thiago would be a great addition but we aren’t the finished article and I doubt he comes to us unless we offer insane wages. The scouse make more sense imo but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

If it’s a choice between Neves and Thiago, obviously Thiago wins out but Neves doesn’t get the accolades he deserves because he plays in a conservative and defensive formation under Nuno. He’d be the ideal Matic replacement imo and is the type of player who’d show his class at a bigger club.

The same people slagging Neves were probably doing the same with Mane. Surprise, mid table clubs have good players as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

YAMS49

Why would Bayern want to sell this guy? Have I missed something here? He's a better player than Goretzka & Tolisso. Are they buying someone new for the role? I get they have Kimmich but he sits deeper usually from what I've seen of them.

lysglimt

Scout
I agree. The fact they already won the title covers a lot of flaws. They were creaking under the heavy schedule before the break and did not adapt well to it after. All of that is swept under the rug since you can put it down to completency but they had the title won since December and kept going so i dont buy it.
Next season is an outlier, teams with big squads will come out on top due to the insane schedule and Liverpool do not have that depth imo
Of course having the title basically wrapped up by christmas affected their performances - but the dip in form after christmas must be worrying Klopp

Goaldifference of 38-21 in their last 18 matches compared to 47-14 in the 20 matches Before - is a huge difference

And as impressive as their season was - they only won 7 games by 3 goals or more...they drew 3 matches and won 15 games by 1 goal - which indicates they basically tipped every single tight game in their favour - that is unlikely to happen again.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Why would Bayern want to sell this guy? Have I missed something here? He's a better player than Goretzka & Tolisso. Are they buying someone new for the role? I get they have Kimmich but he sits deeper usually from what I've seen of them.
He apparently wants a new challenge, is in his last contract year and doesn't want to sign a new one. So it's €30m right now or walk for free next summer.

YAMS49

He apparently wants a new challenge, is in his last contract year and doesn't want to sign a new one. So it's €30m right now or walk for free next summer.
Ah, OK. Thanks. Makes some sense I guess. Strange that such an influential player would walk from Bayern though. Perhaps he is posturing for a better deal.

Mihai

Thiago would be a great addition but we aren’t the finished article and I doubt he comes to us unless we offer insane wages. The scouse make more sense imo but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

If it’s a choice between Neves and Thiago, obviously Thiago wins out but Neves doesn’t get the accolades he deserves because he plays in a conservative and defensive formation under Nuno. He’d be the ideal Matic replacement imo and is the type of player who’d show his class at a bigger club.

The same people slagging Neves were probably doing the same with Mane. Surprise, mid table clubs have good players as well.
The same people overating Neves were probably doing the same with Schneiderlin.

croadyman

Expect that you will get him in the end,just a matter of sorting out the wage demands by the sounds of it

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ah, OK. Thanks. Makes some sense I guess. Strange that such an influential player would walk from Bayern though. Perhaps he is posturing for a better deal.
He's won the Bundesliga every year he's been there, and now he won the CL too, so not that weird that he's up for a new challenge. He has nothing left to prove there, and if he signs a new long-term deal with Bayern, he won't be able to go to another top European club at 33 or so under the same high wage demands, probably.

Now that I'm looking at it, apart from 11/12 he has won a league title EVERY YEAR since 2009. That's absurd.

SmallCaine

They also gave Klopp 5 years to get it right
Can this myth please die. They did not give klopp 5 years to get it right.

He has not finished outside top 4 since his first season when he took over from Rodgers mid way through the season. He made 1 europa final and 2 cl finals, winning 1 cl in his first 4 seasons, winning the league in his 5th.

If ole or any other utd manager achieved what klopp has in his first 4 seasons, no one is going to claim they were given time, they would have earned that time.

Not really followed him in any detail since we tried to sign him in 2013. Would he be able to play the deep lying playmaker role for us, or would we still need to play someone like Matic next to him?

Giggsy13

The same people overating Neves were probably doing the same with Schneiderlin.
If you’ve actually seen Neves play then you’d realize this comparison is absolutely wank. Neves is the type of player that would make you wonder why your club didn’t move for him when he makes the jump elsewhere to another big club.

croadyman

Not really followed him in any detail since we tried to sign him in 2013. Would he be able to play the deep lying playmaker role for us, or would we still need to play someone like Matic next to him?
Yeah I am confident he would be able to play that role but we will need to do a Chelsea with Werner to win this one

YAMS49

He's won the Bundesliga every year he's been there, and now he won the CL too, so not that weird that he's up for a new challenge. He has nothing left to prove there, and if he signs a new long-term deal with Bayern, he won't be able to go to another top European club at 33 or so under the same high wage demands, probably.

Now that I'm looking at it, apart from 11/12 he has won a league title EVERY YEAR since 2009. That's absurd.
He's a quality player, if you get him he will change your dynamic a little. Do you want more of a possession based midfielder like him in your system?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
One downside if we do sign him is that it probably means Wijnaldum is off to Barcelona. I’d be gutted to see him leave. He’s a player so well suites to what Klopp wants from his midfield.

Mihai

If you’ve actually seen Neves play then you’d realize this comparison is absolutely wank. Neves is the type of player that would make you wonder why your club didn’t move for him when he makes the jump elsewhere to another big club.
I've seen Neves play. And so did several coaches and scouts. Given that he still plays for Wolves, means that either he is too expensive or he is not all that.

YAMS49

One downside if we do sign him is that it probably means Wijnaldum is off to Barcelona. I’d be gutted to see him leave. He’s a player so well suites to what Klopp wants from his midfield.
Was kind of what I was eluding to, surely signing someone like Thiago changes the way you play rather drastically?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

He has not finished outside top 4 since his first season when he took over from Rodgers mid way through the season. He made 1 europa final and 2 cl finals, winning 1 cl in his first 4 seasons, winning the league in his 5th.

If ole or any other utd manager achieved what klopp has in his first 4 seasons, no one is going to claim they were given time, they would have earned that time.
Not that I disagree, but that didn't stop plenty of numpties from being unconvinced by him and wondering why our fanbase didn't put more pressure on him to deliver the goods.

croadyman

So if you were given a choice of signing Thiago or keeping Wijnaldum then which one would you go for?

Rob Bowman

Would have loved Thiago in 2012, and would have loved Thiago a week ago.

Now with DvdB... not sure we need him. Don't get me wrong, great player, but how would we sort him and all our other box to box CMs?

As always I say get Sancho :keano:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Was kind of what I was eluding to, surely signing someone like Thiago changes the way you play rather drastically?
You would think so. Thiago was occupying Fabinho’s position as a number 6 playing for Bayern recently. He won’t be able to play that role for us and would have to play a more advanced midfield role. I don’t think Thiago could play in our midfield like Henderson or Wijnaldum do so we’d have to change how we play.

A midfield three of Fabinho, Keita and Thiago would have to function very differently compared to how a midfield three of Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum does.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
So if you were given a choice of signing Thiago or keeping Wijnaldum then which one would you go for?
Well I think Thiago is a much better player than Wijnaldum, they’re both at a similar age and we’re crying out for a midfielder like him as well.

I’d pick Thiago over Wijnaldum.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'd go for Thiago.

Gini has been great and would be welcome to stay, but Thiago is better. And I do think our midfield dynamic is getting a bit stale when it comes to the interplay between midfield and attack. We need to freshen things up a bit.

croadyman

Well I think Thiago is a much better player than Wijnaldum, they’re both at a similar age and we’re crying out for a midfielder like him as well.

I’d pick Thiago over Wijnaldum.
Thought you would say that and quite honestly I don't blame you at all for making that choice

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think it is drastically different tbh.
Both are supremely press resistant technical midfielders who do good work defensively and are more about moving the ball forwards than goals or a final pass.

I imagine he will be asked to play a different role than he did at Bayern, higher up the pitch.

Leonzo1

I agree with where you are coming from but Thiago is a supreme player and would allow us to control games from midfield in a way we have not done in a long time. I don't think we are getting him anyway so definitely need to fix the right wing.
It won't help dictating games if his passes will go to the likes of James and Ighalo at best.

Giggsy13

I've seen Neves play. And so did several coaches and scouts. Given that he still plays for Wolves, means that either he is too expensive or he is not all that.
Wolves don’t need to sell. The fact that he’s still there is not a reflection of his quality.

YAMS49

I don't think it is drastically different tbh.
Both are supremely press resistant technical midfielders who do good work defensively and are more about moving the ball forwards than goals or a final pass.

I imagine he will be asked to play a different role than he did at Bayern, higher up the pitch.
He'd have to player at a much higher tempo for you as well surely. He knits the play together for Bayern, you need this far less in your current style.

YAMS49

You would think so. Thiago was occupying Fabinho’s position as a number 6 playing for Bayern recently. He won’t be able to play that role for us and would have to play a more advanced midfield role. I don’t think Thiago could play in our midfield like Henderson or Wijnaldum do so we’d have to change how we play.

A midfield three of Fabinho, Keita and Thiago would have to function very differently compared to how a midfield three of Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum does.
I'd agree yes. I also think it's something you need to naturally evolve your style. There's a suggestion you've been found out a little lately (thank God), this type of signing would/could really help you out.

I'd love him at Utd but really can't see it happening.

sp_107

Matic/Thiago, Pogba/Fred, Bruno/VDB how do you fit them in a 3 man midfield, Even we sell Fred we will have SMT on books.

We might have to play diamond with 4 of these atleast but not sure if we have the wing backs to support this system

From Carrick and aged Scholes to what a midfield we are turning into.

We had Herrera, Sniederlin and Aged Sweinstiger at one point but I think current midfield is the best in last 12 years even without Thiago and if he joins I leave that to imagination

Josh 76

Fergie had a better first 4 years than Klopp and was almost sacked.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I like Neves, he’s got quality on the ball. However my fear with him is that I don’t think he’s mobile enough. Maybe I haven’t watched him enough but that’s the impression I get

sp_107

I will have him any day here even for few games, He is that brilliant

Just FYI, On average he played 20 games a season in last 7 years, Hope he wont struggle with the pace of premiere league.

Member 101269

I don't get the "your window is coming to an end" as if it's a dig towards Liverpool supporters. As if it's our fault that our owners don't want to invest / we simply don't have any money left.

Let's say we sign Thiago and challenge again both domestically and in Europe next season (which we most probably will with or without him anyway). That would be a 4-year window in which we've (at the very least) played two CL finals, one won, and won the Premier League. Our top players were around 25-27 when we started our run so it's only natural that this successful period is nearing its end if we don't do a squad overhaul. Our 17/18 until 19/20 period (a three-season timeframe) has already been more successful than City's and we are looking just as likely as them to challenge again next year.

If Klopp is gone after the 21/22 season and FSG have refused to invest until then, we could slide back into the top 4 battle or worse just as quickly as Klopp brought us to the top. But I'm not gonna worry about that right now when we clearly have 1 or 2 years at the top left. It is however worrisome to say the least that FSG are unwilling to back Klopp in the transfer market after corona (and last season too).
Where did i say that.. come on remove the chip off your shoulder.

The average age of your starting 11 from sept 19 was 27y 59d (source premier league), that is 28y 59d in 20/21 in two year 30 plus. How is that a dig, it's fact. Like i said, you've no money and within the next two years you're going to need money that you havent got.

It will be an interesting watch..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I will have him any day here even for few games, He is that brilliant

Just FYI, On average he played 20 games a season in last 7 years, Hope he wont struggle with the pace of premiere league.
My worry with him is his fitness and obviously adapting to the Pl as you say. You never know. As talented as a player may be the league does take adjusting to at that age, and Thiago has despite recent great performances and him being regarded highly now, he has faced fitness/injury issues consistently over the last 6-7 years. It has not always gone swimmingly for him.

El Zoido

Sanchez 2.0 written all over this. This is his last chance for a massive salary, he wants a pay day before it’s too late.

NK86

Come on firstly can't you see the difference in where the two teams are at the moment? Secondly you would expect Utd to be able to pay more so as a player would ask for more.
There is a difference where we are currently but that doesn't translate to us having to pay more to get his services. Torres didn't go to Pool where they were absolutely shite because he was getting bucket loads more

Status
Not open for further replies.