Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My gut feeling is that if Utd honestly felt he was willing to join the club then think we would meet his demands
The fact that he asked wages that Ole or the club didn't think it was acceptable then it's pretty much tell you that his demand reflects to his desire to join us. We didn't find an agreement of Dybala's contract due to his demand is unacceptable and I can stand with what our club & the manager are doing to maintain the structure. I'm very sure if our manager is Jose, we would have meet his demands which going to be Sanchez's case all over again.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's in his final year of contract at Bayern. Very likely he wants a massive rise or longer-term than Bayen is willing to provide. Basically Bayern wants to sell rather than lose him for free. Typical stand-off when players come to the final year of their contracts. Thiago holds all the trump cards in this situation.

Remember Fellaini? Despite trying to find a club he finally had to accept a new contract with United after getting no offers from other clubs which matched United's offer. Thiago will do similar or walk for free next season.

SATA

Seems like a mercenary. Sorry to Thiago fans but we should stay away if he isn’t sincere wanting to play for United

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seems like a mercenary. Sorry to Thiago fans but we should stay away if he isn’t sincere wanting to play for United
What is your definition of "sincere"? That he should come and play for less than what he thinks he deserves?

Seems like every footballer who doesn't profess their love for Manutd and is not ready to take pay cut to play for Manutd is termed as mercenary.

SATA

What is your definition of "sincere"? That he should come and play for less than what he thinks he deserves?

Seems like every footballer who doesn't profess their love for Manutd and is not ready to take pay cut to play for Manutd is termed as mercenary.
Yes. Coincidentally that’s what Ole thinks too and I wholeheartedly agree with the manager. Enough of players coming here for money and not a compromise. There are always other top class players who want to play for United

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
For Wijnaldum, Barca reportedly wants to pay around 15m euros as he is in his last year of contract. Don't think Liverpool will accept that and I can't see Barca going higher than that.

Same reason why Liverpool is hesitant to pay 30m for a player they can sign for free next season. Also Thiago rejected big contract at Bayern for new challenge so I guess his salary also won't come cheap. Don't think even selling Wijnaldum is going to change anything on Thiago front. If Liverpool are okay with paying his salary and transfer fee they would have done it by now.

Transfer fee are amortozied over the period of the contract so any cash inflow from transfer is not going to impact that. Liverpool should have no issue to pay 30m and Thiago Salary even without selling Wijnaldum.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
A mercenary who has played for only two clubs in his career? If he'd been looking out for drastically higher wages every year, that seems unlikely.

Bobade

For Wijnaldum, Barca reportedly wants to pay around 15m euros as he is in his last year of contract. Don't think Liverpool will accept that and I can't see Barca going higher than that.

Same reason why Liverpool is hesitant to pay 30m for a player they can sign for free next season. Also Thiago rejected big contract at Bayern for new challenge so I guess his salary also won't come cheap. Don't think even selling Wijnaldum is going to change anything on Thiago front. If Liverpool are okay with paying his salary and transfer fee they would have done it by now.

Transfer fee are amortozied over the period of the contract so any cash inflow from transfer is not going to impact that. Liverpool should have no issue to pay 30m and Thiago Salary even without selling Wijnaldum.

The transfer fee being amortised doesn't mean anything in terms of inflow or outflow though. It only refers to the accounting treatment of the fee, not the actual cashflow.

Reactions: Sultan

dal

I think he would certainly be arriving if Pogba was to leave and I’d be very Happy if this situation did arise.

Bruno, Thiago, Van de Beek, Matic, Fred, Mctominay. (With Garner & Mejbri knocking on the door)

I think that’s certainly a better composition than the current 6.

He's in his final year of contract at Bayern. Very likely he wants a massive rise or longer-term than Bayen is willing to provide. Basically Bayern wants to sell rather than lose him for free. Typical stand-off when players come to the final year of their contracts. Thiago holds all the trump cards in this situation.

Remember Fellaini? Despite trying to find a club he finally had to accept a new contract with United after getting no offers from other clubs which matched United's offer. Thiago will do similar or walk for free next season.
Somehow I think there is more interest in Thiago, than Fellaini. I can see the point you are trying to make, but it’s not a good analogy using those two players.

Cash flow and amortisation are two different concepts. If Bayern demanded £30m up front, then Liverpool would need that cash now, but would then amortise that cost, and all other player costs over the period of the contract.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

This is a good article that helps explain the differences.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
A 4 year extension was already negotiated, he just did a surprising 180 after that. Rummenigge expected an offer to arrvive this week. That obviously didn't happen, and now we have Thiago calling Bayern his home. Something isn't going as planned here. Oh well, if it ends up with another year of prime Thiago for us, I won't complain

dinostar77

Barcelona should sign Thiago. If Font becomes president next summer and as hes promised bring Xavi back as manager then Thiago would be central to how Xavi would play. Lets face it he should never been allowed to leave in the first place.

Reactions: Sultan

redshaw

I doubted he could get much better than 250k at Bayern if true by joining a PL side. Seems he's found that out now.

meamth

Wouldn't it affect Liverpool's playing style if they lost Wijnaldum? I thought he is one of the main players who represents the hardworking side of Liverpool midfield?

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I think both Man Utd andLiverpool are more consered about the high wages rather then the 30m fee. He probably wants a 4 year contract with 300k per week. Signing him this summer or next doesn't matter since you'll have to pay him a sign-on bonus next summer or Bayern a transfer fee, so this summer if any of the clubs wants him makes more sense though since you get one year younger player (who is not even that young right now (29 years atm)).

Hammondo

Yes. Coincidentally that’s what Ole thinks too and I wholeheartedly agree with the manager. Enough of players coming here for money and not a compromise. There are always other top class players who want to play for United
Who?

redshaw

Wouldn't it affect Liverpool's playing style if they lost Wijnaldum? I thought he is one of the main players who represents the hardworking side of Liverpool midfield?
Yes, he played 35 league games last season and similar the year before.

Thiago, unless Liverpool can work some magic will likely play only around 20 games and they will need to use other midfielders and rotate. It's why I've not bought into this Thiago in Wijnaldum out and as good as Thiago is there's a concern with age and injuries, a large wage and possibly a more grueling league. If a club has the funds he'd be a great addition with the congested schedule though or team that can comfortably rotate with the right mix of players.

If Wijnaldum does go then it will force Liverpool's hand to come up with a solution that might mean signing Thiago and playing another fringe player when injured.

Covid and clubs already in tricky spots with large contracts it might mean Barcelona for example have to limit themselves for a while.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I cannot understand the logic of Barcelona wanting to sign Wijnaldum (if rumours are to be believed). Especially when we all know the present coach is just a temp.

Did he spit in someone's coffee when he left all those years back?

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Score goals, and with Pirlo - taking free kicks
Although Thiago is also really good in freekicks, Lewandowski and Alaba are just better therefore they take them ,but I agree Pirlo is probably one of the best ever in free kick.

Thiago plays super deep, most of the tiems even in the same line as the defenders since he is so essential to the buuild up game. Imo Scholes was used more offensively.

Again, I am not saying Thiago is better, but to say Scholes and Pirlo are miles ahead / definitely better/ no competition/ etc is wrong. Imo peak Thiago is definitely around their skill level. But to each their own.

Statue of Limitations

Again, I am not saying Thiago is better, but to say Scholes and Pirlo are miles ahead / definitely better/ no competition/ etc is wrong. Imo peak Thiago is definitely around their skill level. But to each their own.
My dad, who also supports United froths at the mouth whenever any midfielder is mentioned in the same breath as Scholsey!

I loved Scholes (we were blessed, him Giggs, Keane, Beckham - we were basically cheating for years with our midfielders :drool: ) but am more realistic about his overall strengths and weaknesses.

Spray a 40 yard defence splitting pass? Check
Blast one into the top corner ala v Barca? Check
Big game player? Check
Tackle? Erm...

We were lucky to have him for so long, he even came out of retirement when we needed him, (the new Scholes was Scholes...) but comments like I've seen like he is easily a better player than Pirlo was I'm not as quick to agree with.

Thiago is a very good player.

Thiago is someone I'd love to see here but I trust Ole, the sheer speed at which the VDB signing was made was a very welcome change to for example the whole Fellaini thing.

I don't think he slots in easily at Liverpool, they need to sell to buy first of all and I think he would disrupt their wage structure off the pitch and their shape/ gameplan on the pitch.

I think we will be fine without him.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
C'mon Ronald, let Wijnaldum stay at Liverpool at and bring Thiago back to Barca. You know it makes sense. Realistically though he'll end up at a Premier League club but at least try to entice him back, Ronald.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Barcelona should sign Thiago. If Font becomes president next summer and as hes promised bring Xavi back as manager then Thiago would be central to how Xavi would play. Lets face it he should never been allowed to leave in the first place.
Thiago wouldnt go back to Barca, he's already won La Liga, I think he wants to win something he hasn't won already.

He will go to the EPL if anywhere.

croadyman

Don't know how reliable this guy is but suspected this was always the case

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

The end is near, apparently.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
De Jong would be the central and considering at his age, much better to build your midfield around him than around Thiago.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
All Bayern players who played in the Nations League were given off today. So, it's a nothing news.
Ah okay, makes sense I guess. Doesn't mean anything indeed in that case.

Your season starts after next weekend though, so I expect there to be a solution one way or another before that tbh.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Ah okay, makes sense I guess. Doesn't mean anything indeed in that case.

Your season starts after next weekend though, so I expect there to be a solution one way or another before that tbh.
Skint as you appear to be, I have my doubts

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Skint as you appear to be, I have my doubts
Your tone throughout has been pretty condescending about Liverpool, don't really get why but okay then. Maybe just a case of some unwarranted Bayern/German arrogance as is sometimes the case on here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Your tone throughout has been pretty condescending about Liverpool, don't really get why but okay then. Maybe just a case of some unwarranted Bayern/German arrogance as is sometimes the case on here.
That's understatement tbf

Adamsk7

He was never coming here.

funnily enough I wouldn’t be bothered if he goes to Liverpool. The way they play with high energy in midfield, I don’t think he improves them massively other than with a bit more control in the centre of the park. In some ways he weakens their combativeness there. Don’t forget it wasn’t all roses for him at Bayern and it took time for him to fully fit in a system. He also likes an injury. If he were to come to us then that’s where I see him making more impact because we actually need that link between defence and attack and are desperate for someone to play balls between the lines for Bruno.

ah well. Think Liverpool’s money is better spent elsewhere tbh

SATA

Honest would the LFC fans here prefer Gini or Thiago in the midfield, given how the former has been a vital cog in that area of the park and allowing your front three to play well? Not a worry that Thiago may upset or disrupt that rhythm which brought you two main trophies?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
It's been like 2 months since this whole thing has started, and nothing has happened so far. What is different this week than the others before? We are 5 days away from season start, and the latest news were Thiago saying Bayern is his home.
So clearly, something is stalling here big time, whether you like or not, and I don't see where your optimism comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.