Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

Looks like both him and Pierce have been briefed. It's happening.
Liverpool do this every season with transfers. Brief there is no money and then buy their target anyway.

Was the same with Allison. Shortly before they signed him they briefed all their journos that they had pulled out of the deal as Roma wanted too much.

They always aim to underpromise and overdeliver.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah have to agree. I’m sure there was probably a conversation just to see what the story was but I doubt he was ever a serious target.
I’m not sure how he’d even really fit in with what we have.
I think he'd have been great for the Matic/Fred role we have but the new contract for Matic meant it was never on.

Adamsk7

We were probably in for him, why would you not be? Thing is, currently top players are likely to choose Liverpool over us in a straight race. No shame in that, they are the best team in the league. We do however have a chance with Sancho to close the gap by signing a potentially even better player with no opposition - if we let that one go, then some serious questions need to be asked

Squeaky Bumtime

Some people on here actually believed that Thiago would sign for United. Clearly Bayern knew what they were doing in bringing United's name into it. People also fail to understand the importance of having a world class manager. Klopp is a big draw unfortunately Ole is not. He couldn't even persuade Haaland, a boy he used to coach in Norway to come and join him at United.
Haaland deal wasnt down to persuasion or not.

How come Bruno came?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Plugs a massive gap in Liverpool’s midfield. Just have to hope the defensive fragilities continue and Bobby no-goals drops another 100+ shots 7 goal season to keep them from running too far ahead.

cyberman

We really need to start denying these rumours tbh. Thiago always felt weird, there was never really any smoke from our end.

Raulduke

Surprise surprise, reports earlier that Bayern "expect a bid" from United and within hours this deal is done with Liverpool paying what Bayern were asking. Great signing for them but our focus should be elsewhere anyway.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Fans will conveniently forget the only reason they didn't furlough their staff was because of the giant backlash. And now they're stumping up €30m and paying beefy wages for a player. Classy.

GlasgowCeltic

I dont get how he wasnt - No one went into this season thinking we needed VDB or another attacking midfielder.

We really badly need a player to set the tempo and one of the best around was available but we didnt try.
Yes I think he could’ve played ahead of Matic in the majority of games as the deepest lyer

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dont get how he wasnt - No one went into this season thinking we needed VDB or another attacking midfielder.

We really badly need a player to set the tempo and one of the best around was available but we didnt try.
I don't think our coaches or manager see that as an issue. We clearly don't want to play a patient/build up style, it's get it forward asap and into the box to score.

Stretch

I think United enquired and probably held some interest prior to van de Beek. Think United's name was just used here to get Liverpool to hurry up.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Don't know if we tried or not, but think he was set to join them anyway and wouldn't make any difference.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
We really need to start denying these rumours tbh. Thiago always felt weird, there was never really any smoke from our end.
Wasn't there a new guy brought in to the PR department to stop our name being dragged through the mud recently? Not much has changed as far as I can see.

stubie

Had Matic not signed a new contract then I think we may have put a bid in for him.

Overall not disappointed we have not signed him as our midfield options are fine at the moment and there are other areas we need to prioritise.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fans will conveniently forget the only reason they didn't furlough their staff was because of the giant backlash. And now they're stumping up €30m and paying beefy wages for a player. Classy.
Same thing happened with Arsenal now Auba signed da ting.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Doesn't surprise me. We are 90/00's Liverpool or 10's Milan. Reckon we are another ten to fifteen years away from winning the league.

Very good player, instantly improves them, if he can stay fit, he will run their midfield. Which was the weakest part of the pitch for them.

Davie Moyes

Don't think we ever got past the enquired stage. Probably were informed from day one his preference is Liverpool. I think he'd agreed the move with Klopp months ago hence refusing to sign a new contract with Bayern and putting his house up for sale.

Since then Utd name being used especially by Bayern to get Liverpool to pay up.

Josep Dowling

We were never interested as far as I’m concerned. He’s a class player but once we signed VbB our midfield options are the least of our problems.

Need to sort out RW and LB in my opinion.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Nope because he only wanted Liverpool the whole time. This is the world we are living in now where world class talent actually want to go to Liverpool because of the manager. Sickening.
Many of us here when Klopp was available post Moyes were calling for Klopp, for obvious reasons.

Sadly Liverpool have the best manager in the world currently, we just have to hope he wants to move onto the National Team eventually.

Liverpool fans faced the same when United had SAF.

stubie

What is our club actually doing? We're falling further behind, we need more than just VDB.
Too many people on here panicking not to mention how toxic twitter is at the moment.

Personally we only need to strengthen 2 areas (DC and wide player)

Also be encouraged with the standard of quality in the U23’s

izec

This was always going to happen. It is not Liverpool signing Thiago that worries me, we are just doing nothing. We were far behind them, and with one transfer, they have widened the gap even more, while we need multiple signings and sit there and do nothing

MUFromLTU

What are the odds Thiago will become asthmatic and need performance-enhancing drugs just after joining scousers?

Cliche Guevara

Great business from Liverpool, a sign of the times that Liverpool are the #1 destination for players.

I miss the days of Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel and Lucas and watching them struggle.

Klopp is the best in the world and what he has done is nothing short of remarkable.
Give it a rest.

This was always going to happen. It is not Liverpool signing Thiago that worries me, we are just doing nothing. We were far behind them, and with one transfer, they have widened the gap even more, while we need multiple signings and sit there and do nothing
These are my thoughts too, its so annoying.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't surprise me. We are 90/00's Liverpool or 10's Milan. Reckon we are another ten to fifteen years away from winning the league.

Very good player, instantly improves them, if he can stay fit, he will run their midfield. Which was the weakest part of the pitch for them.
You're one spot-on manager hiring away from competing for the league again. If you told any Liverpool fan in 2014 that we'd win the CL and PL within 6 years they'd have laughed you out of the building. Football changes too quickly to talk about 10-15 year periods.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Liverpool do this every season with transfers. Brief there is no money and then buy their target anyway.

Was the same with Allison. Shortly before they signed him they briefed all their journos that they had pulled out of the deal as Roma wanted too much.

They always aim to underpromise and overdeliver.
Better than Woodward - Overpromise and underdeliver

Status
Not open for further replies.