Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crespo

Supports
Bayern
Many of you guys have no clue what the transfer would mean.

Thiago is our second best /second most important player right behind after Lewy. That package what he brings to the team is just the real deal. Build up play + Vision which are second to none combined with such good defensive qualities (yep). His little dribblings (he has an insane success-rate by the way) are allowing him to open up situations in which other midfielders would just pass sideways.

For me he truly is the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (sounds better in German, sorry). Better than Kimmich and of course waaay better than Goretzka. There will be a few Bayernfans who will tell you otherwise-- what can i say, each club has their clueless supporters.

Before you accuse me of being a fanboy: I don’t care about Thiago as a person. He is a nice guy, but if he changes the team I lose all interest in him and I would wish him, from a sporting perspective, all the worst for his further career.

If he really goes to Liverpool- prepare to see Liverpool winning another league. He immediately would improve their starting eleven drastically. I really wonder why he would leave, though. He is completely underrated by the garbage German media, but why would he care. The only reasonable explanation is that he wants another challenge. We don't want to get rid of him and he certainly isn't finished.

PS: Wouldn't start for United? Please, give me a break.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Liverpool aren't really the club that's going to give a player that last big contract so suspect their name is just being used to sound out interest from others

flappyjay

Liverpool aren't really the club that's going to give a player that last big contract so suspect their name is just being used to sound out interest from others
Whilst it might not be their model this a different situation to before. When rebuilding, players in their late 20's are a no go. When you are in a winning position a guy like this could elevate you so much higher.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think they'll make an exception.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
There will be a few Bayernfans who will tell you otherwise-- what can i say, each club has their clueless supporters.
Please impart more of your wisdom unto us, oh great sage of the footy.
His talents are out of the question, but the impact he's had for us especially in big games has been underwhelming. Most important player after Lewandowski my ass.

EwanI Ted

Would be an interesting move for Liverpool, but not an obvious one. Their other forward thinking midfielders are all variations on the same theme - direct, hard working, vertical players who can press and attack the box. Thiago would be quite different to that. That could be a good thing, variety is good in a squad, but equally it could mean the rest of the team need to change their style to accommodate him - or Thiago would have to change his style to fit Liverpool. So there's a risk there.

The age is another slight oddity. He turns 30 next season, which is not old for a player of his style, but most of their first team is already in the 28 to 30 range along with half their bench. Seems odd to get another player in that bracket rather than going for a younger player that could replace Henderson and/or Wijnaldum over the next two seasons.

romufc

Thiago is our second best /second most important player right behind after Lewy. That package what he brings to the team is just the real deal. Build up play + Vision which are second to none combined with such good defensive qualities (yep). His little dribblings (he has an insane success-rate by the way) are allowing him to open up situations in which other midfielders would just pass sideways.

For me he truly is the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (sounds better in German, sorry). Better than Kimmich and of course waaay better than Goretzka. There will be a few Bayernfans who will tell you otherwise-- what can i say, each club has their clueless supporters.

Before you accuse me of being a fanboy: I don’t care about Thiago as a person. He is a nice guy, but if he changes the team I lose all interest in him and I would wish him, from a sporting perspective, all the worst for his further career.

If he really goes to Liverpool- prepare to see Liverpool winning another league. He immediately would improve their starting eleven drastically. I really wonder why he would leave, though. He is completely underrated by the garbage German media, but why would he care. The only reasonable explanation is that he wants another challenge. We don't want to get rid of him and he certainly isn't finished.

I agree with this. This guy is special.

He would walk into any team, even peps team over Gundogan.

I really do worry if Liverpool get him, they will go up another level again.

I hope he signs a new deal at Bayern.

Paranoid Android

I'd take him for squad depth, yeah. I don't think he'd get in the team ahead of Pogba and Bruno if they're both fit though, and he certainly wouldn't work as a DM behind them. As a result, I don't think we could offer a compelling enough reason to join us if he wants a lot of guaranteed playing time.

Reactions: Sultan

Josh 76

Would be an interesting move for Liverpool, but not an obvious one. Their other forward thinking midfielders are all variations on the same theme - direct, hard working, vertical players who can press and attack the box. Thiago would be quite different to that. That could be a good thing, variety is good in a squad, but equally it could mean the rest of the team need to change their style to accommodate him - or Thiago would have to change his style to fit Liverpool. So there's a risk there.

The age is another slight oddity. He turns 30 next season, which is not old for a player of his style, but most of their first team is already in the 28 to 30 range along with half their bench. Seems odd to get another player in that bracket rather than going for a younger player that could replace Henderson and/or Wijnaldum over the next two seasons.
30?
Fecking hell.
Thought he was 25 for some reason. Maybe should put this post in "weird feelings".

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

:lol:

Wow, a person wrote all of this, and not an unhinged bot. Amazing.

Silas

His defensive ability is pretty underrated, I feel. He played (very well) as the holding midfielder against 2018 Real in a CL Semi leg that Bayern dominated, if I recall correctly. Add that to the fact that he can comfortably play as an 8 or 10 and he should definitely be someone we're interested in. Injuries are the obvious obstacle, but it seems like he was ok this season up until some recent groin issues.

Last edited:

croadyman

So frustrating that Moyes couldn't see the sense in buying him seven years ago. Now it looks like we will have to see him play for our most bitter enemy.

Certainly looks at bargain at the figures being touted around but just don't see us being interested at all.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He is exactly the type of player Liverpool need to boost their offense, his defensive ability is also underrated because of his style of play. People assume that he's a fancy passing midfielder but he works really hard off the ball. I remember one season when he ranked amongst the highest in the BL for defensive actions.

Injuries might be a big issue, but in terms of all round play I think he will be an improvement on Wijnaldum.

Rolaholic

The potential upgrade from going from Henderson to Thiago will be quite jarring and scares me tbvh :lol: :(

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He won't improve them one bit because their play is based on long balls from van Dijk, they skip midfielf anyway. :yawn:

romufc

The only thing is will Thiago give the same amount of energy off the ball? Henderson is a real workhorse and covers the full backs. Will Thiago be able to do that role?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
His talents are out of the question, but the impact he's had for us especially in big games has been underwhelming. Most important player after Lewandowski my ass.
Best football player in the squad. Combines workrate and stubborn leg biting quality working against the ball with a technique that is probably unparalleled this side of Messi and CR. Can read and build up a game. Can play the deadly pass. I agree he hasn't always played to his full potential, but to talk him down like that...

Who needs such a player, eh. Pep, Klopp and Flick are clueless.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
:lol:

I can understand people saying he's better than Goretzka, though Goretzka has been great lately, but to say he's better than Kimmich is laughable.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Legend :lol:
Bayern fans infighting makes for great entertainment, let's go!

United Pro

Agreed, absolutely cracking midfielder and I would hate him joining Liverpool. Only thing I can see against the transfer is his age and injury record. The former isn't much of a problem as he's only just turned 29, but he will likely miss 10+ games every season and that may only increase as he gets older.

beingshe7don

Thiago is that No. 10 we've been coveting for so long. For him to join Liverpool would be heartbreaking.... Liverpool have relied heavily on the front 3 to create and score goals. Thiago would definitely improve them immensely as he could play behind Firmino or even in place of him when needed with Mane and Salah as LF and RF ahead of him.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München

The average fan and some media might underrate him but there are also plenty of football hipsters who tend to overrate his actual importance/performances. I'd agree that Thiago could be what you seem to see but the reality is that in all his time at our club he never was (at least consistently) and he is just not the type to lead a team. That's why Kimmich IS the more important player and it is no accident that he already had a lot more game deciding/changing moments in his short time as CM than Thiago.
Another thing that should be pointed out is that Thiago never developed a great chemistry with his fellow CM. On paper there is no doubt that Kimmich/Thiago should be stronger than Kimmich/Goretzka but the reality is that Goretzka actually provides something else to the game and has a good chemistry with Kimmich while you never get that same feeling whenever Kimmich and Thiago play together because in a lot of ways their game is TOO similar.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get rid off Thiago and neither does the club (they offered him a new contract) but let's also stop with the hyperbole, Thiago is nowhere near our most important player after Lewandowski. He is a player that can have great performances when everyone else around him works too but the moment the chips are down you can't rely on him to turn the tide in a game.
People might sometimes joke about player like Henderson, Miller etc. but if Thiago had their mentality he could have been at Xavi's level. The thing is he just doesn't have that. He is now 29 years old and people still sometimes treat him like a "talent", I think that should tell you something about him.

Reactions: van der star

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Thiago is that No. 10 we've been coveting for so long. For him to join Liverpool would be heartbreaking.... Liverpool have relied heavily on the front 3 to create and score goals. Thiago would definitely improve them immensely as he could play behind Firmino or even in place of him when needed with Mane and Salah as LF and RF ahead of him.
He’s not a number 10.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He isn't a 10. He is the perfect 8. He'd transform your midfield 3 by adding top end creativity to it

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

To be fair to them. In Curtis Jones they probably already have Henderson's long term replacement on their books

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Best football player in the squad. Combines workrate and stubborn leg biting quality working against the ball with a technique that is probably unparalleled this side of Messi and CR. Can read and build up a game. Can play the deadly pass. I agree he hasn't always played to his full potential, but to talk him down like that...

Who needs such a player, eh. Pep, Klopp and Flick are clueless.
The average fan and some media might underrate him but there are also plenty of football hipsters who tend to overrate his actual importance/performances. I'd agree that Thiago could be what you seem to see but the reality is that in all his time at our club he never was (at least consistently) and he is just not the type to lead a team. That's why Kimmich IS the more important player and it is no accident that he already had a lot more game deciding/changing moments in his short time as CM than Thiago.
Another thing that should be pointed out is that Thiago never developed a great chemistry with his fellow CM. On paper there is no doubt that Kimmich/Thiago should be stronger than Kimmich/Goretzka but the reality is that Goretzka actually provides something else to the game and has a good chemistry with Kimmich while you never get that same feeling whenever Kimmich and Thiago play together because in a lot of ways their game is TOO similar.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get rid off Thiago and neither does the club (they offered him a new contract) but let's also stop with the hyperbole, Thiago is nowhere near our most important player after Lewandowski. He is a player that can have great performances when everyone else around him works too but the moment the chips are down you can't rely on him to turn the tide in a game.
People might sometimes joke about player like Henderson, Miller etc. but if Thiago had their mentality he could have been at Xavi's level. The thing is he just doesn't have that. He is now 29 years old and people still sometimes treat him like a "talent", I think that should tell you something about him.
@HerrLeinad perfectly captured my own opinion regarding Thiago, and also spelled it out in more detail than I would have taken the time to. ^^
Someone get this man a like.

RooneyLegend

If he joins Liverpool they’ll be unplayable. The perfect midfielder for them. Incredible work ethic, great defensive contribution, one of the best dribblers in the world, calm on the ball, unique technical ability and near perfect passing. I’m a huge fan of him. I would absolutely hate to lose him.
True, them signing him would be a disaster. He'd suit the current City set up, not sure why Pep isn't in for him.

RooneyLegend

@HerrLeinad perfectly captured my own opinion regarding Thiago, and also spelled it out in more detail than I would have taken the time to. ^^
Someone get this man a like.
Then you guys are both clueless. Did you just agree with someone preferring Goretzka over Thiago? Absolutely clueless. The man is a genius, it's as simple as that.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd take Thiago at United for a few seasons honestly, as long as he's not more than £45M as there are other areas of the pitch that need strengthening.

Having someone like Thiago honestly would make United an instant title threat.

I think it's a given at this point that Sancho and Grealish are done deals.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Then you guys are both clueless. Did you just agree with someone preferring Goretzka over Thiago? Absolutely clueless. The man is a genius, it's as simple as that.
You misrepresent the point. It's not preferring the one player over the other on their own, but how they mesh and work with their teammates. Nobody is questioning Thiago's footballing abilities.

TsuWave

Adding this guy would be delicious. I mean the panic that ensued with the fake news about Pogba and Bruno being injured is telling in terms of our lack of quality and strength in depth.

“b-b-but you won’t be able to fit the 3 of them in a starting eleven”. We wouldn’t need to. We play a bunch of games through the season, enough to ensure enough starts for all of them all around, that’s without taking injuries into account. Besides, I think I’ve seen City play with a midfield of Gundogan, KdB and Silva and still slap teams around.

Blow a bag Woody :drool:

RedDevilRoshi

I'd take Thiago at United for a few seasons honestly, as long as he's not more than £45M as there are other areas of the pitch that need strengthening.

Having someone like Thiago honestly would make United an instant title threat.

I think it's a given at this point that Sancho and Grealish are done deals.
Sancho, Grealish & Thiago in
Sanchez, Lingard & Pereira out

:drool:

One can only dream I guess

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can't see United going for Thiago, as good as he is. Don't see any way you fit Fernandes, Pogba and Thiago in the same team. He'd be an amazing signing for Arsenal and a very good signing for Liverpool, I actually wouldn't be shocked to see City go for him. Liverpool would make sense because he's a similar age to the rest of their best players and they likely want to win everything they can before they start declining.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Only on 70k a week apparently. Not much for a footballer as good as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.