Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

You reckon if Klopp gets Thiago it would be Fabinho that would be making way from their side?
We don’t need Thiago to break teams down his skill set and job role is completely different to Matic’s. Thiago works hard but wouldn’t be able to provide the base Matic does that has been allowing Pogba and Bruno to dominate.
Thiago is stronger as a 8 than he is as a 6.
I think with matic and 2 defensive fullbacks thats not enough to ensure we win the majority of those games.

Im talking about the games teams sit back and we cant break them down.

His creativity from deeper would improve us massively against those teams. The teams liverpool destroy 3 and 4 nil.

Bruno has helped greatly but at 30 mil i think we would be silly to not look at thiago.

There's no point comparing how he would play for us vs liverpool. 2 entirely different teams. Their fullbacks are their creators.

Last edited:

DarkLord

Considering the hype in his early breakout years, I felt like he never lived up to his name.

roseguy64

Probably this. Would hate to see him in a Liverpool shirt though - and our midfield would be solved for a solid 3-5 seasons with him coming into the fold. Even if fit half the season he has Matic/Fred/McTominay that would step in and rotate.

Thiago - Sancho - Grealish is possible given Thiago is cheap on fee, Grealish would be cheap if Villa get relegated and Sancho would be that "blockbuster" signing we pursue.
We're not getting all three of those. It's either Grealish or Thiago.

Rolaholic

Thiago, Pogba, Bruno would never ever work against any not-completely-shit opposition. Great player, wrong fit for us.
I mean hasn't been our main issue, in regards to actually sustaining a title challenge, these past 5-6 years been games against shit opposition?

We've tended to have formidable records against the top 6 but consistently drop 'easy' points to bottom half sides...

Judas

Open to offers
I mean hasn't been our main issue, in regards to actually sustaining a title challenge, these past 5-6 years been games against shit opposition?

We've tended to have formidable records against the top 6 but constantly drop 'easy' points to bottom half sides...
Even against shit teams you couldn't play that three though, that's the point I think. None would do the job a Matic would do in terms of tidying up and defending, and you need at least one doing that even against bottom of the table teams.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We're not getting all three of those. It's either Grealish or Thiago.
Heh, yeah you're right. But if we were willing for 40m EUR for dVb we should be good for Thiago. Heck just him and Sancho propels us massively.

I want him now damnit.

beingshe7don

We've had a torrid time depending on Pogba and McTominay and with them injured, we were forced into getting Bruno. If we were to run into a similar situation with Pogba and Bruno out injured or suspended, we may have a huge drop in class of the midfield. If we can acquire Thiago for 25 odd million, we should take it and we could use him selectively to keep him fit. We play a lot of games in the PL as is. He would get plenty of playing time.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
injury prone, 29 years- don't think we will go for him. Though I desperately want us to sign him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wouldn't mind signing him mostly cause I always wanted us to sign him and thought that he is gonna become the best CM in the world.

Eddy_JukeZ

Wouldn't mind signing him mostly cause I always wanted us to sign him and thought that he is gonna become the best CM in the world.
He arguably was during the 2016-2017 season. He was fantastic that season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Bayern Munich are the wisest club in the world. If they are wanting to get rid there's a reason. The injury issues must be worse than feared. His age also a factor.

Stay well clear Ole. Not the type of signing we need.

Davie Moyes

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Bayern Munich are the wisest club in the world. If they are wanting to get rid there's a reason. The injury issues must be worse than feared. His age also a factor.

Stay well clear Ole. Not the type of signing we need.
I'd love him here and would absolutely hate for him to go to Liverpool. He's probably the most aesthetically pleasing midfielder in world football to watch. I would rather he went to City ahead of them lot but it almost feels inevitable this transfer.

Regardless of how well he does at Liverpool I can just imagine the media love in would go into absolute over drive if they got him. Not only are they the champions but we would never hear the end of how they have got the best midfielder in the world for a bargain price. We kept hearing how Naby Keita was better than Pogba and now we would be hearing Thiago is better than Bruno and Pogba.

If there is one hope for me is what you say above about Munich. Up until now I cannot remember a player they sold or lost that they did not want or was not past his peak.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd love him here and would absolutely hate for him to go to Liverpool. He's probably the most aesthetically pleasing midfielder in world football to watch. I would rather he went to City ahead of them lot but it almost feels inevitable this transfer.

Regardless of how well he does at Liverpool I can just imagine the media love in would go into absolute over drive if they got him. Not only are they the champions but we would never hear the end of how they have got the best midfielder in the world for a bargain price. We kept hearing how Naby Keita was better than Pogba and now we would be hearing Thiago is better than Bruno and Pogba.

If there is one hope for me is what you say above about Munich. Up until now I cannot remember a player they sold or lost that they did not want or was not past his peak.
Bayern rarely ever get it wrong. 29, Injury issues and no doubt would want huge wages.

Pass. We need to move away from these nonsensical galactico signings.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bayern rarely ever get it wrong. 29, Injury issues and no doubt would want huge wages.

Have you read the thread? Bayern don't want to sell him, he's refusing to sign a new contract and they don't want to lose him on a free

TheRedHearted

Tbh haven’t seen him play in forever. If pogba does go him and Graelish are necessary to fill the void plus add depth. Bruno can’t play every game

Davie Moyes

Disagree with above few posts. Bayern do not lose players they want to keep desperately. If they really want to keep him they would pull out all stops e.g. increase pay etc.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Disagree with above few posts. Bayern do not lose players they want to keep desperately. If they really want to keep him they would pull out all stops e.g. increase pay etc.
Thiago simply wants to leave after spending 7 years there. There is nothing Bayern can do about it. It is not a „Kroos-situation“ where they don’t offer enough.

InfiniteBoredom

Midfielder, knee issue, Bayern, getting on in years. Now where have I heard that before?

It’s tempting at that price, but he will ask for a lot of money in wages and we might end up with another Sanchez if it goes to pot.

croadyman

Midfielder, knee issue, Bayern, getting on in years. Now where have I heard that before?

It’s tempting at that price, but he will ask for a lot of money in wages and we might end up with another Sanchez if it goes to pot.
Yeah will admit I was gutted when we missed out on him in 2013 and no doubt it's cheap for a player of his quality.

Just hoping someone other than Liverpool or City come in for him but worried at the moment.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Then you guys are both clueless. Did you just agree with someone preferring Goretzka over Thiago? Absolutely clueless. The man is a genius, it's as simple as that.
He isn't. But he is insanely talented *and* has a high work rate, rarely seen in players of his kind. I agree he's not a leader but then he doesn't need to be. (how many alphas can a team suffer?) he is the ideal man to complement the players next to him and that is what he does better than almost everyone else in Europe.
I can understand people are frustrated because with his talent, if he *was* a leader, he could be absolute world class, but with what he is, he is the kind of player to give any team a little extra. Hence now surprise the # of tactic-oriented top managers who like him and the names of the top teams queuing up to sign him.

Canagel

Only CM in the world that can sit on the table with Pogba. If he is avaiable and wants to come to Prem you would be mad to turn it down at the rumoured price

croadyman

Only CM in the world that can sit on the table with Pogba. If he is avaiable and wants to come to Prem you would be mad to turn it down at the rumoured price
Probably isn't a case of us turning him down more the fact we have heard that he is going elsewhere

beingshe7don

Is De Bruyne not invited to this party or is it because he is already at the head of the table?
Haha... good one. De Bruyne, Thiago, Pogba and Bruno are probably 4 of the best 8s in the world at present. De Bruyne is a lot more consistent and therefore deserves praise. I think Pogba lacks consistency and discipline. I feel Bruno is more driven and can match the impact De Bruyne has for City over the course of multiple seasons. With that said, if Thiago is available, it would be foolish to not to get him for that price (35m). Thiago is very creative and is a winner. We need winners and we need our youngsters to learn the art of winning. Thiago has about 4 to 5 years in him. He would offer us something when teams sit back.

Revan

Assumptionman

Not many big clubs lose players they want to keep, and then they set the world on fire. Bayern is neither an exception, not particularly interesting in that aspect. They definitely lost players that they did not want to lose. For example, their captain, Ballack. Or more recently, their best midfielder, Toni Kroos.

Bayern seems to want to keep him, but he does not want to stay for whatever reasons. He has still played a lot of games (in fact, it is around the average number of games compared to the other seasons), and 29 is not an old age. I don't know if we should sign him or not, but the Bayern never got it wrong is a bit of a legend.

reelworld

30 mill Euros for Thiago? United would be mad to not considering it. It's a no brainer for me. Wage could be a problem, but don't think it's something that's gonna be a deal breaker

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Not many big clubs lose players they want to keep, and then they set the world on fire. Bayern is neither an exception, not particularly interesting in that aspect. They definitely lost players that they did not want to lose. For example, their captain, Ballack. Or more recently, their best midfielder, Toni Kroos.

Bayern seems to want to keep him, but he does not want to stay for whatever reasons. He has still played a lot of games (in fact, it is around the average number of games compared to the other seasons), and 29 is not an old age. I don't know if we should sign him or not, but the Bayern never got it wrong is a bit of a legend.
I think Kroos is the only one that Bayern actually regrets. Ballack... meh, he had an attitude and to be honest, he wasn't getting Bayern any closer to that CL title. Now, between Thiago and Alaba, Thiago is definitely the one they wouldn't lose sleep over. Their main focus is on Alaba now. Thiago is nice eye candy, but he is replaceable. Having said that, for 35m he's a steal, so you should definitely get him. Also, that would mean a tidy 10m profit for Bayern who bought him out at 25m. :)

I hope we steer clear. He was nailed on to be the world's best midfielder but moving to a one team league and picking up a few injuries ruined that. He's a very good player but not as good as he could have been, and he's never actually completed a full season for Bayern. Moving to a much faster, more physical league at 29 is unlikely to end well.

I doubt there's any truth to it, he doesn't fit Ole's recruitment strategy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.