Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Apparently his wife is homesick.....a return to Barca seems unlikely and Real Madrid is full with midfielders therefore only Atletico Madrid would make sense (especially with the rumour that Partey will leave the club).

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He is such a class act. Brilliant player to watch, I cant believe a player of his ability was let go by Barca.

Eddy_JukeZ

He'd be a muppet signing. Doubt he'd be interested in coming here now.

If Barca do get that sum of money for Arthur, they'd be silly to not look at Thiago 1st.

Hopefully City don't get him.

SinNombre

I haven't followed non-United football nearly as much since SAF retired; but he was such a muppet signing for that summer. Hiring Moyes and letting him buy Fellaini for crazy money was the start of our downfall.

Did he ever get over his perennial injury issues?

Reactions: Sultan

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I haven't followed non-United football nearly as much since SAF retired; but he was such a muppet signing for that summer. Hiring Moyes and letting him buy Fellaini for crazy money was the start of our downfall.

Did he ever get over his perennial injury issues?
Kinda. He's the best Bayern midfielder for the past few seasons.

I think he's top 5 in his position in the world.

SinNombre

Oh that's interesting.

I was quite bullish on Kimmich when he was 21-22 but I am guessing he never really truly kicked on?

I agree, although it's not a popular opinion with most I talk to. He's absolutely lovely to watch, the way he turns and evades the press is magical.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh that's interesting.

I was quite bullish on Kimmich when he was 21-22 but I am guessing he never really truly kicked on?
Kimmich is the best Bayern midfielder and one of the few players in the squad who is truely irreplacable at the moment. Arguably almost as important as Lewandowski. Thiago is beautiful to watch and obviously great, but I don't think he ever had the same impact as Kimmich has at the moment.

croadyman

Would be very surprised if we go for him again seven years after the first time

Andersonson

He hasnt... If he was THAT good he would've started alot more for Bayern. Good player for sure. But not at all top 5

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Oh that's interesting.

Kimmich is quality. He’d earn a spot in any midfield right now.

Suvvernmanc

He is such a class act. Brilliant player to watch, I cant believe a player of his ability was let go by Barca.
I think he and Barca had a disagreement over playing time.

Wikipedia says this about it. 'The transfer (to Bayern) came despite a new contract that Barcelona had given Thiago in 2011 which set his release clause at €90 million.[19] Barcelona failed to fulfil clauses in the contract relating to the amount of playing time that Thiago received, and as a result the player's buy-out clause dropped to €18m.

Madness if true when you consider what a top player he was then, and has gone on to be.

UpWithRivers

Not going to happen but....

-----Thiago-----Pogba-----
---------Fernandes----------
Sancho---Martial-----Rashford

That would be something.......

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
His wife wants home. Problem is, there are only 2 thinkable destinations for him: Real or Barca. Barca is about to sign Pjanic, and there was never link to Real. I'm confident he'll sign the extension.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
His wife wants home. Problem is, there are only 2 thinkable destinations for him: Real or Barca. Barca is about to sign Pjanic, and there was never link to Real. I'm confident he'll sign the extension.
Whats your opinion on his "value" for the team and Bayern's gameplay? Always felt that he is a great footballer, but somehow inconsistent in his perfomances.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Whats your opinion on his "value" for the team and Bayern's gameplay? Always felt that he is a great footballer, but somehow inconsistent in his perfomances.
He's been fantastic this season, never seen him better, actually. His inconsistencies have nearly vanished, he's about to reach his peak. I'd be gutted if he left this summer, and so would be the vast majority of our fanbase.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
He's been fantastic this season, never seen him better, actually. His inconsistencies have nearly vanished, he's about to reach his peak. I'd be gutted if he left this summer, and so would be the vast majority of our fanbase.
Do you think this got somehow to do with Flick as a coach? Or more with playing along Kimmich, Goretzka, ..? Sorry for asking. I didn't even know that he leaves Bayern or more so that its possible that he leaves Bayern.

The Pandemic will have some effects. And the first thing which comes to mind is a less overheated market and prices. But what is also possible is that a lot of footballers and/or their relatives want to be more "at home", in the near of their family. I was just thinking about that cause in the headline is written that maybe Thiago wants to leave cause of his wife.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
"The recent performances of the duo Kimmich-Goretzka in midfield would mean a direct replacement for Thiago is not needed. The decision not to move for Kai Havertz this summer will not change even if Thiago leaves."

I don't know about that... I like those guys but Thiago is a level above every midfielder in the Bundesliga.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
I don't know about that... I like those guys but Thiago is a level above every midfielder in the Bundesliga.
I would say this is depending on which role you mean exactly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"The recent performances of the duo Kimmich-Goretzka in midfield would mean a direct replacement for Thiago is not needed. The decision not to move for Kai Havertz this summer will not change even if Thiago leaves."

Better dribbler and fancy feet maybe, but i'd take Kimmich in midfield all day long. You just cant rely on Thiago being fit for a full season.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

What? Most of the time you couldn't tell when he was missing or playing. Right now he's not making a case for himself to start over Kimmich/Goretzka in DM or Müller in OM.

Oh that's interesting.

Kimmich is probably our most impactful player after Lewandowski, was at RB and now is in DM.

It's certainly not that I don't like or rate Thiago, he is incredibly gifted. Still, over the years he never really managed to be an indispensible part of our teams under various coaches.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Their partnership with Kimmich before the COVID break was a marvel to watch. They’re so smart and technical and they adjust to the situation on the pitch with such ease.

It would be insane if he’d leave Bayern at the moment though. Maybe if he’s really homesick?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of the most aesthetically pleasing players you’ll see, but I don’t think that correlates with his actual impact on a match.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
He is only "the best bayern midfielders of the last few seasons", if we exclude Müller and Kimmich, which means that the competition is not particularly impressive. When he joined bayern he was behind Kroos and Schweinsteiger, a little later also behind Xavi Alonso and Vidal. He was also not better than James, when he had a short, but good spell as #8 (like 10 games max :lol:) . He was never a top5 player in his position.

Kimmich is going to be the next bayern captain once Neuer/Müller are gone. In his first season, Pep used him as stand-in CB(!), despite having little to no experience and he managed to do a job (including CL games against Juve and Benfica). Afterwards he was needed as RB and he was great and now he is back as DM/CM (the position he played in youth teams). He is spectacular and has exactly the kind of attitude a player needs for the highest level.

Thiago improved over the last 2-3 seasons and turned into a very good player, after many years, where he never fully lived up to his talent. He is also a very good fit in the current team and also a lovely guy, who never complains and clearly cares/wants to do well. The football-environment is currently ideal for him in Munich and I am not sure that he'd fit equally well into the current Barca midfield (and he wouldn't be a starter for Madrid).

danamann

He is only "the best bayern midfielders of the last few seasons", if we exclude Müller and Kimmich, which means that the competition is not particularly impressive. When he joined bayern he was behind Kroos and Schweinsteiger, a little later also behind Xavi Alonso and Vidal. He was also not better than James, when he had a short, but good spell as #8 (like 10 games max :lol:) . He was never a top5 player in his position.

Kimmich is going to be the next bayern captain once Neuer/Müller are gone. In his first season, Pep used him as stand-in CB(!), despite having little to no experience and he managed to do a job (including CL games against Juve and Benfica). Afterwards he was needed as RB and he was great and now he is back as DM/CM (the position he played in youth teams). He is spectacular and has exactly the kind of attitude a player needs for the highest level.

Thiago improved over the last 2-3 seasons and turned into a very good player, after many years, where he never fully lived up to his talent. He is also a very good fit in the current team and also a lovely guy, who never complains and clearly cares/wants to do well. The football-environment is currently ideal for him in Munich and I am not sure that he'd fit equally well into the current Barca midfield (and he wouldn't be a starter for Madrid).
How can you include Müller and Kimmich when Müller was shockingly bad the last couple of seasons and Kimmich played at right back? Thiago may have been inconsistent in the past but he is easily a top 5 players in his position. the lengths you go through (putting James ahead of him lol) to justify how Bayern doesnt need him just confirms how precious Bayern fans are about anything concerning their club.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd rather sign the younger version of him in Matheus Henrique. After watching a lot of Gremio since hearing about him, I see so many similarities in their style of play.

gajender

I'd rather sign the younger version of him in Matheus Henrique. After watching a lot of Gremio since hearing about him, I see so many similarities in their style of play.
Wasn't he suppose to be lesser version of Arthur which position he plays and is he somebody who is capable of slotting immediately in our midfield.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wasn't he suppose to be lesser version of Arthur which position he plays and is he somebody who is capable of slotting immediately in our midfield.
In my opinion, the only thing Arthur has over Matheus is his press resistance. Still, Matheus is very hard to dispossess himself, but Arthur is just incredible in that regard. That's why despite his shortcomings in other aspects of his game, he can still be a top midfielder. Arthur, that is.

Overall, I prefer Arthur as a player to Matheus due to that one attribute, but Matheus is still a great talent.

As well as Thiago, I see a lot of Herrera in him in that he can cover the entirety of the pitch, and has a lot of tenacity. He loves getting stuck in, and won't shy away from a battle. He usually plays as the deepest CM for Gremio, but he's partnered with a very tough and hard working CM in Maicon to help defensively while he learns his trade.

For us, assuming he'd be partnered with Pogba and Bruno, I think it could work. In possession, he can dictate play from deep, allowing Pogba and Bruno to get forwards, and can carry the ball under pressure which would add some much needed composure at playing it out from the back

Defensively is a concern. As i said, he does work incredibly hard, and doesn't shy away from a battle, but he's still learning about positioning, when and when not to press, etc. He's very good at tracking runners, though. At Gremio, next to Maicon, he's in a good environment to learn that stuff, but here, next to Pogba who's suspect defensively himself, it could backfire.

I don't know if he'd slot in straight away myself. I definitely think he's already good enough to, but you have to take into account how Ole intends on getting the right balance in midfield now that we have Bruno and Pogba, and how Matheus himself settles into a new country/league.

Unfortunately, this is all hypothetical anyway. I can't see us being in for him, and recent reports say that he's City bound. Pep's a fan.

gajender

In my opinion, the only thing Arthur has over Matheus is his press resistance. Still, Matheus is very hard to dispossess himself, but Arthur is just incredible in that regard. That's why despite his shortcomings in other aspects of his game, he can still be a top midfielder. Arthur, that is.

Overall, I prefer Arthur as a player to Matheus due to that one attribute, but Matheus is still a great talent.

As well as Thiago, I see a lot of Herrera in him in that he can cover the entirety of the pitch, and has a lot of tenacity. He loves getting stuck in, and won't shy away from a battle. He usually plays as the deepest CM for Gremio, but he's partnered with a very tough and hard working CM in Maicon to help defensively while he learns his trade.

For us, assuming he'd be partnered with Pogba and Bruno, I think it could work. In possession, he can dictate play from deep, allowing Pogba and Bruno to get forwards, and can carry the ball under pressure which would add some much needed composure at playing it out from the back

Defensively is a concern. As i said, he does work incredibly hard, and doesn't shy away from a battle, but he's still learning about positioning, when and when not to press, etc. He's very good at tracking runners, though. At Gremio, next to Maicon, he's in a good environment to learn that stuff, but here, next to Pogba who's suspect defensively himself, it could backfire.

I don't know if he'd slot in straight away myself. I definitely think he's already good enough to, but you have to take into account how Ole intends on getting the right balance in midfield now that we have Bruno and Pogba, and how Matheus himself settles into a new country/league.

Unfortunately, this is all hypothetical anyway. I can't see us being in for him, and recent reports say that he's City bound. Pep's a fan.

He actually sounds pretty good option though highly unlikely it's quite plausible we might be interested because Matic needs replacing and we could do with his understudy as soon as next season.
By any chance do you follow French league , somebody mentioned another brazilian Bruno Guimarães plays for Lyon who seemed interesting prospect as Matic's replacement as well.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
He's a incredibly gifted player but I wouldn't really be bothered if he left. Never really impressed me in the champions League. He has often been infuriating to watch, fantastic passer of the ball but for some reason he often made really unnecessary and unforced mistakes, especially in the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.