Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think we'll end up signing him once Bayern are finished with the Champions League. I feel oddly confident we'll get this one done.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think we'll end up signing him once Bayern are finished with the Champions League. I feel oddly confident we'll get this one done.
You're the only club is strongly linked with him at the moment anyway.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
With Lallana off, Milner likely to leave as well, and Wijnaldum unlikely to be satisfied with a bench place should Thiago arrive (there’s talk of Wijnaldum not signing a new deal), it’ll certainly be interesting watching your lot’s midfield options next season.

Fabinho - Henderson - Thiago - Keita is decent on paper but a few of those are injury-prone and there’s not an awful lot of legs in there either. Certainly not what you’d associate with a Klopp midfield anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
With Lallana off, Milner likely to leave as well, and Wijnaldum unlikely to be satisfied with a bench place should Thiago arrive (there’s talk of Wijnaldum not signing a new deal), it’ll certainly be interesting watching your lot’s midfield options next season.

Fabinho - Henderson - Thiago - Keita is decent on paper but a few of those are injury-prone and there’s not an awful lot of legs in there either. Certainly not what you’d associate with a Klopp midfield anyway.
They probably rotate like this:

DM: Fabinho/Hendo
CM: Thiago/Hendo
CM: Wijnaldum/Keita/Ox

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Klopp used to prefer players like Sahin, Gündogan, Kagawa and Götze in midfield. During his Dortmund days, he usually played at least two technically strong midfielders who didn't have the best work rate paired with one powerhouse covering the other two. His Liverpool midfield up until now is actually rather atypical for him. He even tried fitting different players in (Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain) but without much success. If Liverpool signs Thiago this could be very exciting and help Liverpool reach the next level.

El-Manos

Klopp used to prefer players like Sahin, Gündogan, Kagawa and Götze in midfield. During his Dortmund days, he usually played at least two technically strong midfielders who didn't have the best work rate paired with one powerhouse covering the other two. His Liverpool midfield up until now is actually rather atypical for him. He even tried fitting different players in (Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain) but without much success. If Liverpool signs Thiago this could be very exciting and help Liverpool reach the next level.
What next level mate? They won the champions league and premier league in the last 2 years. Pretty sure they’ve turned super saiyan 4 already.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think you can compare his Liverpool & Dortmund to be fair. He has different type of players at Dortmund & Liverpool. The way how he used his front three at Dortmund and at Liverpool is different. He set up his midfield to compliment the front three.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What next level mate? They won the champions league and premier league in the last 2 years. Pretty sure they’ve turned super saiyan 4 already.
Well, there are a few levels beyond super saiyan 4, aren't there? ;)

Obviously Liverpool was great but there's still room for improvement in certain areas, exemplarily creativity and dominance through the center. As good as they were in grinding out results, it was closer than necessary at many occasions.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Yea I wouldn't be happy if Wijnaldum went. He's important to how our midfield functions under Klopp. Milner would be more of a loss to the dressing room than on the pitch but I don't think we'll miss Lallana. Chamberlain is another midfield option and Jones is up and coming.

We might change the way we play if Thiago comes in.

dabeast

We should buy Thiago instead of Grealish. He can play in all 3 positions in midfield, Bayern really want him to stay, and he is absolutely world-class. And he doesn't have this English tax.

And we will prevent him strengthening a competitor.

Last edited:

croadyman

We should buy Thiago instead of Grealish. He can play in all 3 positions in midfield, Bayern really want him to stay, and he is absolutely world-class. And he doesn't have this English tax.

Will admit this is the one player I would take over Grealish in midfield,however think the scousers get the deal done eventually.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Whilst I'd have no issue with Thiago being announced tomorrow, he is not an equivalent to Grealish and the waves and commotion he would cause are as big as the gulf between them as talents.

Grealish might be a bit miffed if he found himself as a sub or rotation option, but simply being at Manchester United from a relegation cum Championship club that Villa have been for his playing career, he'd more than be willing to bide his time and earn his stripes. Thiago, on the other hand, is rated as one of the best midfielders in the world who would be wholly expectant on starting, and rightfully so. His arrival is going to put somebody else's nose out of joint between Pogba and Bruno, unless we switch to a diamond - it's a dynamic that has to be factored.

Thiago would be on far higher wages than Grealish - the wages of a top-earner at the club no less.

Thiago's injury record is a cause for concern. Not to say a breakdown is imminent, but certainly not something that can be summarily dismissed. Combine that with the length of contract and his wages, and it wouldn't be out of place to think we could potentially have another Sanchez on our hands. Grealish has a sterling injury record to date and he's also younger.

I just don't think you enter the market for either one and end up coming out of it with the other. Thiago is, without question, an immediate first team player; Grealish would have to play out of his skin to usurp one of our starters.

croadyman

Whilst I'd have no issue with Thiago being announced tomorrow, he is not an equivalent to Grealish and the waves and commotion he would cause are as big as the gulf between them as talents.

Grealish might be a bit miffed if he found himself as a sub or rotation option, but simply being at Manchester United from a relegation cum Championship club that Villa have been for his playing career, he'd more than be willing to bide his time and earn his stripes. Thiago, on the other hand, is rated as one of the best midfielders in the world who would be wholly expectant on starting, and rightfully so. His arrival is going to put somebody else's nose out of joint between Pogba and Bruno, unless we switch to a diamond - it's a dynamic that has to be factored.

Thiago would be on far higher wages than Grealish - the wages of a top-earner at the club no less.

Thiago's injury record is a cause for concern. Not to say a breakdown is imminent, but certainly not something that can be summarily dismissed. Combine that with the length of contract and his wages, and it wouldn't be out of place to think we could potentially have another Sanchez on our hands. Grealish has a sterling injury record to date and he's also younger.

I just don't think you enter the market for either one and end up coming out of it with the other. Thiago is, without question, an immediate first team player; Grealish would have to play out of his skin to usurp one of our starters.
Looks like we are targeting young british players according to Ducker anyway,hence the links with Grealish and maybe still Rodon as well.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I am surprised Barca aren't interested. Did him leaving them burn bridges (both sides) permanently?

I suppose he is too similar to Pjanic and de Jong?
Prolly a bit of both. Second is his wages. They can’t afford to increase their wage structure even more now.

beingshe7don

Has been pretty decent in the DM position against Chelsea tonight. He practically receives the ball from Neuer and has been good with the distribution. He could definitely be a good replacement for Matic.

croadyman

he’s just class. If he’s available you buy him. Not getting this guy was even worse business than paying extra for fellaini.
So frustrating we couldn't get the deal done in 2013 and pretty sure he will join Liverpool after Champions League.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
So frustrating we couldn't get the deal done in 2013 and pretty sure he will join Liverpool after Champions League.
it would have set a completely different tone around the club too. That we were building an exciting new young team. Then Moyes got to work... it’s mad how he wouldn’t sign Alcantara but he’s supposedly in for lingard and jones. Tells you all you need to know really.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really hope he doesn't go to Liverpool.

He would be excellent for us.

You can play him instead of Matic vs the league minnows. Potentially even vs the big team too.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He would give us so many options. So much depth. I honestly don’t care if we have to pay 200k per week to get him in. There are injury concerns yes but we don’t have to play him every week and the upside is too high.

E-mal

I am telling you guys if we can get him and Sancho for next season, we won't be finishing more than 10 pints behind the league winners.
Guaranteed world class midfielder that can even give us a breather with negotiating the Pogba deal.
4 year deal worth 200-250k is worth it I would say. Please make it happen Woody.

We could play
Rashford /Martial/Sancho
Pogba/Bruno
Thiago

OR play
Front three
Pogba / Thiago
Matic
In big games.

We could go even Diamond with all of them in midfield.

I personally would sell one of Scott/Fred to fund the deal.

TheLord

Thiago going to Liverpool this season would mean they are red hot favourites to lift another Premier League.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t really understand why we aren’t linked/interested. Liverpool appear to be floundering over what’s a really low price so surely Utd could outbid them. He would be the perfect option to compliment our midfield and I think would elevate us further. There’s a reason Bayern fans don’t want to let him go.

Lemansky

I don’t really understand why we aren’t linked/interested. Liverpool appear to be floundering over what’s a really low price so surely Utd could outbid them. He would be the perfect option to compliment our midfield and I think would elevate us further. There’s a reason Bayern fans don’t want to let him go.
It’s actually very easy to see why we are not interested. He will command huge wages, is in the end of his career and plays in a position who is not a priority to strengthen.

Kweku Amonoo

For the same quoted fee, or even less, we could sign a younger and hungrier Marc Roca from Espanyol. Just saying.

Highfather_24

It’s actually very easy to see why we are not interested. He will command huge wages, is in the end of his career and plays in a position who is not a priority to strengthen.
He is an instant upgrade on Matic, and can easily deputise for Pogba/Bruno + he is a world class midfielder.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are Liverpool actually in for him? It seems to be one way interest at the moment

Lemansky

He is an instant upgrade on Matic, and can easily deputise for Pogba/Bruno + he is a world class midfielder.
Agree. But we have far more concerning matters in our squad to fix first. That’s why Matic was given a new contract. Club is happy with centre mid depth.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Great player but I'm not convinced we should sign him because of his age (not to mention his wages). Would be a short term signing which is generally not what Ole is about.

Are there younger options available?

red thru&thru

I'm a bit late to this party but is there any suggestions out there that we would want to sign him?

He would an element to our game that we just don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.